Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol I like how at the merest suggestion that you can have any measure of influence to your emotional state (like even at the level of taking deep breaths to calm down and slow your heart rate) you’re going right to “oh so you’re saying you can think your way out of depression?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

Lol I like how at the merest suggestion that you can have any measure of influence to your emotional state (like even at the level of taking deep breaths to calm down and slow your heart rate) you’re going right to “oh so you’re saying you can think your way out of depression?”

Oh no, I understand that, but your still feeling those emotions, right? Like trying to go "I am feeling this" and being aware of it. Not that you just "cannot feel certain things".

I think this is a failure of me to communicate things, sorry. I know that we can all feel frustrated or angry over things, but you can't not feel those things. You have control over what you do about them, but you still feel them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think we might talking past each other a bit. I think there's a difference between "becoming" angry vs letting the emotion wash over you without necessarily taking it on as part of yourself. The classic meditation visualization is seeing thoughts and emotions as leaves floating down a river.

Something like depression I would consider something different because that's more of a chronic long-term thing with underlying causes to be addressed whereas anger and frustration is IMO typically more transient if that makes sense

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Oh no, I understand that, but your still feeling those emotions, right? Like trying to go "I am feeling this" and being aware of it. Not that you just "cannot feel certain things".

I think this is a failure of me to communicate things, sorry. I know that we can all feel frustrated or angry over things, but you can't not feel those things. You have control over what you do about them, but you still feel them.

no...i at least am talking about actually lessening the severity of the emotion. examining, redirecting, detaching...not worrying...some people meditate or practice stoicism(!), i think that achieves something similar?

my experience is that while i can't excise a feel 100% with a snap of the fingers, it can be significantly dulled or changed with some effort. so yeah, i can make myself "not sad" by working at it. i'm sure if i had clinical depression it'd be different, but uh, i don't.

Crespolini has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Aug 25, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I think we might talking past each other a bit. I think there's a difference between "becoming" angry vs letting the emotion wash over you without necessarily taking it on as part of yourself. The classic meditation visualization is seeing thoughts and emotions as leaves floating down a river.

Something like depression I would consider something different because that's more of a chronic long-term thing with underlying causes to be addressed whereas anger and frustration is IMO typically more transient if that makes sense

Ohhhh, got it. What I had meant was that I think that first bit is the "feeling" of the emotion and the bit we can't control. I will agree that control of emotional reaction can be important though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Ohhhh, got it. What I had meant was that I think that first bit is the "feeling" of the emotion and the bit we can't control. I will agree that control of emotional reaction can be important though.

The amount of times you've expoused stoicist beliefs while decrying stoicism will never not be funny

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crespolini posted:

no...i at least am talking about actually lessening the severity of the emotion. examining, redirecting, detaching...not worrying...some people meditate or practice stoicism(!), i think that achieves something similar?

my experience is that while i can't excise a feel 100% with a snap of the fingers, it can be significantly dulled or changed some effort. so yeah, i can make myself "not sad" by working at it. i'm sure if i had clinical depression it'd be different, but uh, i don't.

Why would you want to? Emotions are, in general, good things. I, personally, want to feel things more intently, not less. I want to cry and laugh and swear with all my self, not deny those things because they are transitory.

I trust you will take this in the spirit of compassion, but to me that sounds horrible.

Gaius Marius posted:

The amount of times you've expoused stoicist beliefs while decrying stoicism will never not be funny

Not really. Stoics and some aspects of Buddhism* seem more intent on emotional denial and not responding to things. I think we should respond in far more instances than classical stoics. Feeling angry and then doing something about it, as opposed to going "well I felt anger but that is just transitory". Everything is transitory, doesn't mean it's not important.

*Like "You only suffer because of desire" or all of Zen.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Why would you want to? Emotions are, in general, good things. I, personally, want to feel things more intently, not less. I want to cry and laugh and swear with all my self, not deny those things because they are transitory.

that's fine, but we were talking about if it was possible or not

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well that's great if there's something you can do with that anger. But if I'm just mad because I'm stuck in traffic or something then it's not really beneficial for me to fully immerse myself in that burst of passion.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Josef bugman posted:

*Like "You only suffer because of desire" or all of Zen.

I am neither a Buddhist nor a Stoic, for what it's worth: equanimity being the path to relieving personal suffering just isn't that controversial to me. Do you think equanimity is unique to Buddhist and Stoic thought? Do you think equanimity is fake and gay? Because that seems to be the argument you're developing.

The suggestion is not to deny yourself joy, but to reframe ecstasy as gratitude. Ecstasy is a sweet peach that is with you and then leaves you desiring more. Gratitude is a bowl of oats that carries you through your day. It's extremely practical advice that many many religious traditions have adopted.

It's also a misrepresentation of these schools of thought to say they advocate just sitting there like a bump on a log when you feel emotion. The suggestion is to not be moved by your feelings; instead be moved by your conscience or rational brain, what you know to be right. That looks like not jumping out of your seat for a fight when slighted, for example. I hope you agree with that practice of the underlying advice?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Well that's great if there's something you can do with that anger. But if I'm just mad because I'm stuck in traffic or something then it's not really beneficial for me to fully immerse myself in that burst of passion.

Why not? Getting all bothered and then thinking back on it and feeling a little silly or using it as a thing to discuss, like getting cross at the sat nav, seems just a normal part of things. If your getting out and beating a person to death with a tire iron or it's scaring someone else in the car then it's an obvious no-no, but to feel is a good thing I think.

Crespolini posted:

that's fine, but we were talking about if it was possible or not

But you still will feel those feelings initially even if you change them. The rain still falls, but what is done with the water afterwards changes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They should only cast good actors in things and not bad ones.

This is an unpopular opinion because everyone else is wrong about who the good ones are.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

But you still will feel those feelings initially even if you change them. The rain still falls, but what is done with the water afterwards changes.

sure. but that's sorta like...touching something hot. you jerk your hand back because you felt heat on your skin, and then you feel the pain of the actual burn afterwards. removing the second part makes it a very different experience, even if you still had that initial shock

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

The suggestion is not to deny yourself joy, but to reframe ecstasy as gratitude. Ecstasy is a sweet peach that is with you and then leaves you desiring more. Gratitude is a bowl of oats that carries you through your day. It's extremely practical advice that many many religious traditions have adopted.

It's also a misrepresentation of these schools of thought to say they advocate just sitting there like a bump on a log when you feel emotion. The suggestion is to not be moved by your feelings; instead be moved by your conscience or rational brain, what you know to be right. That looks like not jumping out of your seat for a fight when slighted, for example. I hope you agree with that practice of the underlying advice?

No. Demand more from yourself, be happy with what you have physically, but look and see the world and demand more for all from it. Our world needs to help people more, and anger at the state of things should be normal. Equaminity towards people is understandable, Equaminity towards structures and the world itself is not.

I would, personally, say that our emotions are more a part of our thinking than we give them credit for, and should be accepted as part of our reasoning and informing of conscience. I mean not immediately starting throwing down is good only if the cause does not justify it.

And I hold particular dislike for Zen as it is a very very daft way of approaching the same thing as Daoist understanding of things. That and it seems to feature a lot of beatings and acts of random cruelty that seem to be masquerading as "important lessons".

Crespolini posted:

sure. but that's sorta like...touching something hot. you jerk your hand back because you felt heat on your skin, and then you feel the pain of the actual burn afterwards. removing the second part makes it a very different experience, even if you still had that initial shock

Only if it actually burns you. If you are hurt by simply having the emotion and then you feel that you should try and make yourself have a different one. It's not something I truly understand. I get not responding to stuff, but trying to divest yourself of something you've already experienced because it isn't what you want seems odd to me.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Aug 25, 2022

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Only if it actually burns you. If you are hurt by simply having the emotion and then you feel that you should try and make yourself have a different one. It's not something I truly understand. I get not responding to stuff, but trying to divest yourself of something you've already experienced because it isn't what you want seems odd to me.

it's a movie i hate, and instead of sitting through all 3 hours i flip the channel 10 minutes in and watch zoolander instead :shrug:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crespolini posted:

it's a movie i hate, and instead of sitting through all 3 hours i flip the channel 10 minutes in and watch zoolander instead :shrug:

But the film may still have import. It might be poo poo, but it might be edifying or give you some ideas for better things. Saying that I do think I get what you are saying, and I realise I've really been monopolising this thread. Sorry everyone!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean it’s this or food opinions

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

christmas boots posted:

I mean it’s this or food opinions

tater tots blow 80% of french fries out of the water

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ohtori Akio posted:

Wanna try that other 20% I’ve been missing my whole life.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not even sure why crinkle cut exists.

The bar-restaurant I live above serves every side they have with ranch. Fries? Side of ranch. Tots? Side of ranch. Onion rings? Side of ranch. They don't know that ranch is adulterated, inferior-ized mayonnaise. I guess ranch makes a better salad dressing, but as a dipping sauce? Worse in every way to its pure form.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
crinkle cut's fine for sauced fries, nacho fries or poutine, things of that nature. just crisp the hell out of them too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

neon genesis evangelion is boring

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i also think all of the big 90s "prestige animes" are dull. ghost in the shell and akira are boring and pretentious

i really only like strong, character driven anime that gets to the point, like akagi

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Shibawanko posted:

true

Shibawanko posted:

i also think all of the big 90s "prestige animes" are dull. ghost in the shell and akira are boring and pretentious

i really only like strong, character driven anime that gets to the point, like akagi

Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997), a 1990s prestige anime, is good in fact

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Libertarian Girl Utena

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Shibawanko posted:

Libertarian Girl Utena

the heat of this take cleansed my pores and invigorated my circulation. thank you gentlegoon

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

Good theme song tho

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

Even cowboy bebop which is always lauded as the best anime ever is just kinda OK with great music

The live action adaption was loving dire though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The best anime ever is Ping Pong the Animation

https://youtu.be/V1WjozwcRqI

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only good anime is Ulysses 3000, and maybe Bravestarr.

e: Alfred J Kwak was too hard-core to be good anime.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Aug 26, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Despite being known to enjoy an anime or two from time to time, I cant fault anyone for having a negative opinion of some or all of it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember being 12 and thinking "anime sounds cool, japanese cartoons for adults that's awesome" and then it just being a constant disappointment with how slow and boring they are

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Akira was a good movie until the hero gives the girl his jacket halfway through. Then the character designs became so indistinguishable that I genuinely had trouble following the plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Shibawanko posted:

"prestige animes"

nope. absolutely not. gently caress you for this. We are not trying to force the concept of prestige tv on anime that was made before the concept existed.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Ohtori Akio posted:

I had a breakfast burrito this morning that used tater tots instead of flat top hash browns and it's better in every way oh my God.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

nope. absolutely not. gently caress you for this. We are not trying to force the concept of prestige tv on anime that was made before the concept existed.

why not

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

because it makes no sense. Prestige TV is a style of live action television based on high production values. The three anime examples listed include two movies based off popular manga, and a late night original TV series. The only thing that links them is that they were all popular and well-received. They were also all good, so they're nothing like prestige TV. Its nonsense.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

because it makes no sense. Prestige TV is a style of live action television based on high production values. The three anime examples listed include two movies based off popular manga, and a late night original TV series. The only thing that links them is that they were all popular and well-received. They were also all good, so they're nothing like prestige TV. Its nonsense.

what links them is that they are too long and drawn out and try to be "more serious"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

what links them is that they are too long and drawn out and try to be "more serious"

Once again, that doesn't even describe prestige television since half those shows have 8 episodes a season, they're significantly less long than regular television. And it doesn't describe the anime you mentioned because Ghost in the Shell is loving 82 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at salesmen coming up with poo poo terms like young adult fiction and prestige television and stupid Anglos thinking they are terms one should ever ever use.