Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Defiance Industries posted:

Ehhhh, I think the reveal needed to get out of the way pretty quickly. They laid the foreshadowing on too thick with Wolf's Dragoons. Once you meet Ulric it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

See, they could have just had Phelan get shot down and then he disappears until book 2. Just make all Inner Sphere POV scenes across the front as they slowly figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Stackpole couldn't write an untelegraphed twist to save his rear end, though, so it would have required a different author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I now have a lance of Urbanmech's. What paint job would be most likely to cause a Clan Mechwarrior to erupt in utter rage when I met their Batchal with 4 Urbi's.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 26, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Comstar posted:

I now have a lance of Urbanmech's. What paint job would be most likely to cause a Clan Mechwarrior to erupt in utter rage when I met their Batchal with 4 Urbi's.

Easter eggs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/161st_Royal_Dragoon_Regiment

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Comstar posted:

Power Rangers.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Comstar posted:

Any Rim Worlds Republic scheme, so long as you had the shark on there too. Downside is that you may wind up eating a warship salvo from orbit instead of getting into combat, as the kid gloves would be off and honour out the window once they realised what you were identifying with. I'm not sure if we ever canonised an Amaris Dragoons paint scheme though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Comstar posted:

Clan Wolverine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

Blue and Red, the colors of the Amaris Dragoons.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Blue and Red, the colors of the Amaris Dragoons.

The problem with that is that Red and Blue are the same colours everyone ELSE seems to use too! Are shark teeth the way to tell they are Amaris units?

Didn't Clan Wolverine use SLDF colours when they came back? Camospecs has a nice colour though. But would a clanner ever actually know what they looked like by the time they came back to the Inner Sphere?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Comstar posted:

The problem with that is that Red and Blue are the same colours everyone ELSE seems to use too! Are shark teeth the way to tell they are Amaris units?

Didn't Clan Wolverine use SLDF colours when they came back? Camospecs has a nice colour though. But would a clanner ever actually know what they looked like by the time they came back to the Inner Sphere?

Clan warriors judiciously study military tactics and famous units, so yes there is a chance they would know Wolverine, Amaris, or other dezgra color schemes. Nova Cats had a unit, the Shiva Keshik (Spirit Cats now have it) that was notorious for learning and memorizing tactics of multiple other units, and adapting tactics to frustrate whoever they opposed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I honestly wonder how deep that Not-Named Clan poo poo goes, and how far they were memory-holed. Is fresh-from-sibko Warrior Doofus going to recognize a snarling wolverine logo on a Mech?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not likely, all records that even mention them were sealed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

To be more specific: It's a vibrant blue (not the muted blues favored by House Steiner) with bright red highlights rather than the blood red House Kurita favors. If that doesn't do it for you, you could do the Amaris Lancers (midnight blue and black with white racing stripes).

If you're comfortable painting tartan, you could also do the SLDF Royal Black Watch (primary SLDF olive green w/ gold-outlined tartan panels).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Do all Ironwind Metal mechs come without bases? A store here in Germany is selling some cool-looking Shadow Hawk and Wolverine variants and it’s be cool if I had a Wolverine and a Hawk in both of my forces. Just wondering if I need to buy bases to go along with them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
IWM miniatures do not come with bases, unfortunately.

They do sell bases but they're expensive (because they're also pewter) and slightly too big for the actual maps.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Catalyst should sell the plastic bases the new mechs are on. I'm planning on backing the upcoming kickstarter and I'm going to pester them about it

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You can order the bases on Aliexpress, just gotta search “BattleTech”. Presumably they’re from the same factory as CGL stuff, and you’re not stepping on anyones toes since they’re not sold anywhere else.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

IWM miniatures do not come with bases, unfortunately.

They do sell bases but they're expensive (because they're also pewter) and slightly too big for the actual maps.

Incorrect, the official bases fit entirely within the lines of the map hexes with a little space to spare

Which reminds me that I need to finish these guys

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

Incorrect, the official bases fit entirely within the lines of the map hexes with a little space to spare

The ones I got were about 2mm too big, but I also got them a decade ago so I'm glad to see they've improved.

They had a weird stepped edge to them.

Edit: They might've actually been Ral Partha bases, come to think of it. It's been a long time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

The ones I got were about 2mm too big, but I also got them a decade ago so I'm glad to see they've improved.

They had a weird stepped edge to them.

Edit: They might've actually been Ral Partha bases, come to think of it. It's been a long time.

The ones I have purchased from IWM all have "1998 Fasa / Ral Partha" on the bottom

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just compared my IWM bases to one of the catalyst ones. They're bigger, but only like 1mm. It's only noticeable if you're holding them against each other, and they fit just fine into the map squares.

I checked on aliexpress for 'official' bases like Dr. Lunchables said, and I couldn't find any. Might be something that only pops up every now and then.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Floppychop posted:

I just compared my IWM bases to one of the catalyst ones. They're bigger, but only like 1mm. It's only noticeable if you're holding them against each other, and they fit just fine into the map squares.

I checked on aliexpress for 'official' bases like Dr. Lunchables said, and I couldn't find any. Might be something that only pops up every now and then.

Holy cow, you’re right. There were about four sellers a few months ago. I’d be surprised if they weren’t available soon, given the new kickstarter in the fall.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
From Battletech Facebook

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BattleMaster posted:

Which reminds me that I need to finish these guys

I always used a file to clean up the edges and make them look purty.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Same. I'm even neurotic to the point where I'll scrape off the flashing on the bottom edge of the Catalyst bases.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My 5 year old told me this morning he wants to play Battletech.

How do I teach him at that age? I require assistance.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Comstar posted:

I've done this very recently!

You're going to want to stick to 3025. You also don't want maps with levels. Light and heavy terrain is fine, but you may not want to introduce movement penalties initially. Basically, you're going to need to introduce things one step at a time. For instance, in the first game, focus on the basics of movement and shooting, but don't worry about things like Pilot tests, ammo or heat. You can let him know that there's more to the game, but you're just going piece by piece and that he has things to look forward to as he gets better at things.

Gunnery Skill tests are a great way to reinforce basic math. You can use finger counting to make the number go up, and then basic addition when he rolls the dice.

Another useful tip is to have three sets of dice for movement (different colors for Walk/Run/Jump). Calculate the to hit modifier and set that dice next to the mech for easy reference. I do this even when I'm not playing against five year olds.

My kid is a pretty strong reader, so having him look up information on his own reference sheet was also a way to give him ownership and to trick him into reading more.

The most important thing is for you to be enthusiastic and excited to play. Let him know that there's more to the game for him to look forward to and that each time you play, you're going to be adding something super cool to make the game even better.

Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Comstar posted:

Alpha Strike might be the place to start. Lot less numbers to keep track of, and he still gets to pick up the cool looking robots and make them go "pew pew".

My boy is under 4 so he's at the stage where knocking over robots with other robots is his level of interest.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Which Alpha Strike thingy to get? I know there's a new box coming out...soonish (November?) but I also have read there's multiple rulebooks or versions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alpha Strike and the companion support all unit types and have expanded campaign rules; Alpha Strike Commander Edition is BattleMech focused.

If you're looking to teach a young player, I'd probably stick with Commander Edition.

The only real conversion to worry about is: 2" in Alpha Strike = 1 hex

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
People recommending alpha strike as kids first bt game, jfc I am turning into a skeleton

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alpha Strike is a good game. :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about how life has passed me by :negative:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is the commander edition getting replaced in November or is it the other versions?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nothings getting replaced AFAIK, there’s just going to be a box set released with alpha strike rules, instead of having the rules live in a book, separate from the minis.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about how life has passed me by :negative:

Shoot man I started playing Mechwarrior Clix when I was pre-teen. It's been over 20 years. And I'm still a youngin' compared to most other fans.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When I started playing, TRO: 3060 had just come out and BMR was the core rulebook.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Shoot man I started playing Mechwarrior Clix when I was pre-teen. It's been over 20 years. And I'm still a youngin' compared to most other fans.

I'm you but about a couple years older. Also I can see more your whole bit with the Republic being a thing.

You ever watch George Bush Sr.'s "New World Order" speech?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have a collection of good scenarios for pick-up games?

Era agnostic preferably, but we don't mind if some are best for a specific era. I'm trying to get the old grogs to play outside of succession era, currently at best they've agreed to the occasional game at <3050, which still leaves a lot of the Catalyst clan invasion mechs on the sidelines. Kind of rough on the new players that got in by just buying the mechs they thought looked cool and ended up getting mostly Clan stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Don't feel tied down to timelines. Play the Mechs and technology you want to play with