Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

I bought a wireless Bluetooth DEPSTECH brand off of Az for $50 to borescope a Honda JDM engine. Haven’t tried it against a rotating assembly. It’s now $31.

The biggest issue with the cheap Chinese borescopes on Amazon is the software frequently falls off the AppStore or is entirely in mandarin with a new update, etc etc. I’ve never had one fail, but I’ve thrown three of them away because their software isn’t kept current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

The biggest issue with the cheap Chinese borescopes on Amazon is the software frequently falls off the AppStore or is entirely in mandarin with a new update, etc etc. I’ve never had one fail, but I’ve thrown three of them away because their software isn’t kept current.

you need a shop thinkpad. There's probably a generic windows application that'll work, I'm unsure. They work fine under linux.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

I bought a wireless Bluetooth DEPSTECH brand off of Az for $50 to borescope a Honda JDM engine. Haven’t tried it against a rotating assembly. It’s now $31.

Seconding this, I bought one a couple of years ago and have used it a lot. I haven't used to watch something running either, but seems fine for static work.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Got the DEPSTECH in my cart, thanks fellers!

I've taken a quick break from the cars to focus on some work deadlines at the end of next week.

___

Well...

I'm a firm believer in that what you put out there in the universe comes back to you. It's happened several times in my life where I've essentially willed things to be true, and I often coax my wife in to believing the same thing for her. Years back she decided to quit her job as a researcher for film and tv and start her own company making reproduction and vintage style costume jewelry. We were driving down the street and passed a store that sold cool vintage styled womans clothing, she said "I'd love to have my stuff in that shop" - I said something like "say you will have your stuff in that shop some day" - many months later, that shop, after really going hard on her business, sent her a wholesale order and to date they have been one of her biggest clients.

On July 26, I posted this in the ai chat thread

quote:

I was actually just talking to a friend about bumming around Monterey Car Week like this

I didn't elaborate much, but I was having a discussion with a long time friend who firmly resides in the world of high end car stuff - sales, tracking them down, facilitating high end buyers... he just lives and breaths it. I've known this fella since I was in my teens, and hes maybe only 10-12 years older than me. He was talking about how I really needed to see Pebble beach/Monterey car week and I said something like - "It's always been a dream of mine to go there, in what capacity, I don't know.."

As I'm sure most of you are aware, its an extremely expensive and exclusive affair, but to me nothing would give me more joy than to knock around in a rusty rare buick, and talk poo poo with these people, maybe camp in the car because hotels are too pricy, eat fast food and generally be a bum amongst the upper crust of car collectors, It's kinda been my MO for years and It's taken me to some amazing places in my life, what with the experience I had with the Tuckers, to seeing some amazing collections of very prominent people.

I enjoy it because I get to experience that on a very personal level. The cars I own aren't show cars, they're not perfect, but they are unique and as rare as a mass production car can get, I think that resonates with people. I also treat everyone as humans, and the second I sense that they don't reciprocate, they can shove their high dollar cars so far up their rear end that they'll be smelling gasoline.

Without delving in to too much detail....

Yesterday was my company's weekly all hands meeting. they usually discuss upcoming events, and we usually go around the table and tell what we're working on, and when it got to me, I explained what I was doing and before I could finish, the CEO cut me off and said to my boss "oh he's the one you were talking about?" - my boss nodded yes, and completely overriding my involvement with... ahem.... sports ball with stick, gloves and running.... said "So lobsterboyx, we've been talking to the company that does the car thing.... whats it called... you know where they sell these cars... its on tv..." "oh you mean... (you know what it is, but I cant say it)"....

anyway... I stayed after that meeting and while its only a potential...

I'm headed to Pebble, expenses paid, with an assistant... to gather R&D and meet with the clients.

I'm not allowed to drive up there, but if things work how I want them to... next year will I will, and it will be pretty interesting. To be brutally honest, I cried, a lot, because in my career I've never got to do things that I really and honestly care about. Even if it doesn't work out, the fact that I've been considered to handle a client in this arena is really humbling to me, and really lights a fire in me to maybe think about pursuing that idea a bit further.

If nothing more, I'm going to grab this years poster...

here's what they usually look like...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LobsterboyX posted:

I'm headed to Pebble, expenses paid, with an assistant... to gather R&D and meet with the clients.

I'm not allowed to drive up there, but if things work how I want them to... next year will I will, and it will be pretty interesting. To be brutally honest, I cried, a lot, because in my career I've never got to do things that I really and honestly care about. Even if it doesn't work out, the fact that I've been considered to handle a client in this arena is really humbling to me, and really lights a fire in me to maybe think about pursuing that idea a bit further.

If nothing more, I'm going to grab this years poster...

here's what they usually look like...

That's amazing, have a great time

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The word for today (and this thread) is the Sanskrit word mudita. It's the feeling of joy at another's happiness or good fortune.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

joat mon posted:

The word for today (and this thread) is the Sanskrit word mudita. It's the feeling of joy at another's happiness or good fortune.

That sums up my reaction, Thanks for the vocabulary lesson!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

:emptyquote:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Not me getting a little emotional reading that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very happy to hear about this great opportunity for you

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

F'in great, LB!

Related:

What is that blue car in the poster? Obviously Italian, possibly Ferrari, but I've never seen a car with that very interesting rear window detail - the zigzag, there. That is a very cool car, and I love that it's Not Red.
Actually, Alfa, given the other tow cars in the poster?

joat mon posted:

So kind of the opposite of schadenfreude?
(Holy crap I spelled that right first try...)

Excellent - I knew such a word had to exist.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Awesome. Glad your corporate heads see and appreciate you as the best resource for this. Your enthusiasm and passion are infectious. This is gonna be great…and the networking!

You will be at PB on ‘23. Congratulations!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Related:

What is that blue car in the poster? Obviously Italian, possibly Ferrari, but I've never seen a car with that very interesting rear window detail - the zigzag, there. That is a very cool car, and I love that it's Not Red.

I’m going to take a guess the artist took some artistic liberties, that would be an insanely expensive and rare rear glass to produce.

But always the possibility it’s a one off coach built body by Zagato or something…

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Darchangel posted:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/mythical-ferrari-250-gt-zagato-berlinetta-returns-milan

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

That is awesome. And I was even sniffing the right path!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, my goodness that's a pretty car. And it *was* a Ferrari!

That shift knob!
Those door handles!

I mean, it's no '48 Buick, but.... :P

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Aw ya, car week is my fav. I’m probably going to slip PB this year but I camp at the track for the races, gonna have some other AI dudes come this year too, I’ll send you a PM and maybe I can buy you dinner or something. I barely have time to read SA much but I always keep up on this thread. ;)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

LobsterboyX posted:

Another neighbor came over and said "hey I rent space from this lady and her husband was in to old ww2 jeeps and tanks and stuff, she gave me this box, you want it?"

I am way, way behind on this thread (I’m so sorry, it’s worth reading every single post! Mental note: at page 25), but I just saw the box and had to comment - those totes are awesome, and if you come across any more I’d be very interested in a couple. I kill plastic totes sliding them in and out of vehicles, plus the opaque totes won’t show random tools.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Advent Horizon posted:

I am way, way behind on this thread (I’m so sorry, it’s worth reading every single post! Mental note: at page 25), but I just saw the box and had to comment - those totes are awesome, and if you come across any more I’d be very interested in a couple. I kill plastic totes sliding them in and out of vehicles, plus the opaque totes won’t show random tools.

Its an ammo box. Check your local mil surplus supplier, who (if they are like the ones here) will have pallets full of them in varying grades.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I believe that style is actually an aluminum medical chest, but yes it is surplus. Unfortunately I live way off the beaten path and everyone wants $250 just for the shipping to send me one. At that point I’d rather fly down and meet the legend himself at cruise night.

Speaking of the legendary LBX- awesome to read about Pebble Beach!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Man that is incredible news Lobster, congratulations. Freaking rad.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

joat mon posted:

Goddamn, this so much, what a useful lesson and HOLY COW

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

joat mon posted:

I feel that 10x over.

Thank you all.

It got very real today, tickets booked, and my assistant (I really dont like calling her that) is pretty psyched. I really hope she doesn't wind up hating me by the end of the trip, I know I'm going to be pretty unbearably nerdy, but she's a really cool girl and shes excited to see this world.

Sadly I wasn't able to get the full weekend, but I did get 2 full days, a hotel on the beach and of course a rental car. but I was able to get a few mid week events that really cost a bunch of money to attend.

I mean....

This weekend I have to go get some nicer clothes, I don't think my standard issue San Fernando Valley boy garb is going to cut it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ah yes. Black tie and evening gowns, everything polished to a show-car shine, and a 2600 dripping oil on everything. Truly majestic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

She is your 'colleague.'

Very jealous. Have a blast (while networking) & post as many photos as you can get away with. I'll be over here in NJ, welding & bondo-ing in the high heat & humidity.

Dreams of salt, indeed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

She is your 'colleague.'

I prefer the term "unindicted co-conspirator".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

She is your 'colleague.'

Very jealous. Have a blast (while networking) & post as many photos as you can get away with. I'll be over here in NJ, welding & bondo-ing in the high heat & humidity.

Dreams of salt, indeed.

My project manager introduced me as his colleague at a professional function when at the time I saw him as the boss and me as the employee and it made me feel nice. I do that nearly always now with the person who reports to me.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
24 hours from now, I'll be there!

A few of you have already reached out to me, and for that I'm more than grateful! All I can say is that we'll see what happens. I'm really trying to worm my way in to as much as I can - my colleague has said more than once that shes an expert at getting in to places that she shouldn't be, she's really funny and I'm very much looking forward to following her lead when it comes to schmoozing, an art that I've never picked up!

When I get back, I really have to create a presentation that straight blows the pants off of anyone who dares open it. I have ideas, but I have to play nice with Samantha and give her a say in how its presented.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

:f5:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Enjoy!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
woah.

I have to process all of this.

it was amazing in nearly every way. I need to make this happen yearly.

shout out to Big Taint!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Big Taint is a scholar and a gentleman.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
taken me awhile to unpack what happened, also work is still kicking my rear end. I've had to write a report about this event and I'm trying to go way overkill so they give me all I want.

So I got to San Jose about 9a, I had to wait around a bit for Sami to show up, so I got the rental car and tried to find some cool POI's on the way - That didn't really work out so we went directly to Monterey and I got on the horn with some friends and we started hitting stuff.. the first on our list was this little popup showroom that was put on by the broad arrow group (a front for hagerty to get their feet wet in the auction biz)

The viper was my "poster car" - a total guilty pleasure - at one point when I was in jr high, my mom said "if you get all a's and b's in high school, I'll buy you a viper when you graduate. Needless to say, I dont have a viper. There was a dodge dealership by my orthodontist and just to humor me she'd stop there and let me sit in the GTS, blue with white stripes... mega boner. Anyway, this one was a real race car and the Playstation logo on the hood just sent it for me.

they also had this barn find porsche that tickled me.

we ate some lunch and found the "tiny car show" that was nothing but smaller cars - I ran in to some friends there, one of the guys was knocking around in a 1957 Cadillac flower car that at one time belonged to Bill Murray - I didn't take any pics of this stuff because I'm an idiot and I was trying to preserve space on my phone for the actual work photos I had to take. Sami liked some of the cars, but was most enthused with 2 labradors, wearing sunglasses, sitting in a Sunbeam tiger. I ran in to more friends and at this point Sami started to realize that I was a bit more connected to this than she thought.

We got to our hotel to unpack and unwind before getting ready for the party, but I quickly realized that we had inadvertently picked the "lambo owners" hotel

There were more, but these were the only older ones that I mildly knew about.

At that point Big Taint showed up and we rapped out for a bit. he split, then we got ready and went over to the Motorlux show.

this goofy rear end thing was all the rage.

shortly after they unveiled the new Manx dunebuggy

the actual broad arrow auction had some amazing cars that I didn't take pics of - like the ferarri dream cars, the paul walker killer and even sean connerys personal Austin Martin

she made me do this stupid poo poo too

https://i.imgur.com/Z51A2Ha.mp4

Big Taint was with us the whole time, and we struck up a conversation with a lovely girl who worked for Hagerty - I kinda spilled the beans to her about why we were there, she gave me some really great info on stuff, and basically gave me a great reference to join that company if I ever see fit... hmmm - just note, I have a ton more pics, but these are some choice bits.

We had a lot of fun, we got a lot of info and it was really great. Big Taint brought up a good point, being here really messes with your perception of reality. You look at a car with a six figure price tag and say to yourself "hey thats not a bad deal for something like this" - no wait... what the gently caress am I saying... 200k for this whatever car really doesnt make sense in any reality..

At the party I met several more friends who told me that the place to be the next mornign was when the tour left near the gooding tent. Sami was already bored and opted out of coming with me to this.

I got there at about 6a and some cars were already there - its this long access road and most of the cars that do this tour are actually cars on the grass for the concourse, so it gives you a very up close, informal look at them - it was cool and misty - perfect settting for poo poo like this

yeah, thats the chrysler turbine car..

famous hot rod "ray brown" roadster - this thing lives at the peterson auto museum

another hot rod with history, talked with the woman who owned this car at length

whatever this was, the engine was intense.

I kept coming back to this thing, it made me happy.

there were 3 of these mid 30's Lincolns floating around that I saw, this one was Wayne Carrini's

so one car that left a real mark on me was this ferarri

I don't know what it was or anything about it, but I found these colors together so offensive - it triggered me in to understanding why people like these - The driver of this car was one of the sugar daddies we saw lurking at the party from the night before and it all made sense to me in an odd way. I hate this, but love it at the same time.

I made my way up to the main gate and watched all these amazing cars depart on their tour - This was another one of those moments where I put my phone away and just took it all in. I had a friend driving a car in the tour, so I was intent on seeing him go under the arch.

its this car from long ago:

He actually won an award at the show - so cool to see an actual friends car doing something so amazing.

after the cars left, I weaseled my way in to the Gooding auction

coffin nose, front mounted supercharger cord

this beautiful thing, whatever it was

the loving detail on this was amazing.. this is no buick..

bonerific Crocker motorcycle

I took one look at this rolls and said outloud "whoever ordered this must have been a real rear end in a top hat"

I lost my poo poo over this Harry Miller indy car

front wheel drive with a miller overhead 4 banger. So badass.

my son is obsessed with Cars the movie, so I took this shot of Doc for him - Apparently there was some big deal about a porsche that looked like the car from the movie selling for crazy money.

I fell in love with this 55 Eldorado and the packard woody behind it - a friend crept on me, called my name, I turned around and he took this pic.

this whole space was so beautiful, I didn't want to leave

But at this point, I had left Sami at the hotel for too long, and I had a meeting about another project that I needed to be on - I went back to the car, had my meeting then went to get Sami and check out of our hotel.

We decided to cool it on the car poo poo because I could tell she was overwhelmed - She had never been to monterey and she wanted to do some shopping so I sat at an ice cream shop and let her do her thing when she came back, we walked down RM - it was something stupid like $80 to get in to it so we decided to just see it from the outside.

41 caddy convertible was hot

neat setup they had

walked a bit more and met a new friend

by this point we were both burned out and facing down an hour and a half drive back up to San Joe, returning the rental car and getting in to the airport - we decided to split, we stopped at cannery row for a bit more look around sake and saw me in stuffed animal form:

We had an easy drive up, easy airport, easy flight - and with that, my first taste of car week was over.

I am very much determined to get back there either professionally or personally with my family - it was just overload for me. It really took me about 2-3 days to unwind from it. I didn't make it to the track with Big Taint, I didn't make it to the actual show itself, and I feel like I only saw a small fraction of what there is to see and do - I can't imagine being there a whole week - The cost of this is beyond prohibitive and its really a sick show of wealth, but I will figure out a way to do this for myself without spending bucks. I made a few really great connections and it is something I'll never forget.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 26, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Cord and the detail on it - goddamn.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

towing

So every year I'm a fat stupid procrastinator and I always say "this year I'm going to dial in my drag racing setup" - but I never do and now I have 3 weeks to make sure the car is running good and make sure I'm ready to tow -

in previous years here's my setup:

most recent

2 years ago

3 years ago

In past years I've been pretty lucky to never have to worry about my towing setup because my friends are good people and help me out. I'm novice as gently caress and I've towed this vehicle to the same place 5 years running - thats the extent of my towing experience.

This year I had to actually reserve my own uhaul, which I know can and will be a royal pain in the rear end.

my old fj had a standard 4 pin connector that worked fine with uhaul trailers - the other 2 most recent trailers are not available to me this year, the big black one has all its wood stripped off and the other uhaul-esque one is in Arizona - both of which had 7 pin connectors

so I have to snag one of these to use my Land Cruisers 7 pin connector, with the uhaul 4 pin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TVMQVB8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=AX4MP54FT6KQV&psc=1

this one looks fancy with a light and all - stupid?

and yet again I have to deal with this stupid rear end setup

at least last year I re-drilled and cut down the hitch itself so I didn't have to remove the spare.

annnnnd ever year I saw I'm going to order this and I never do:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Lexus/LX+470/2005/75095.html?VehicleID=20051668

so all in all, I'm an idiot and ran out of time again.

I also got a tent cot - but I'm also 6'3", 300 lb - so thats pretty comedic within itself.

but that all doesnt matter because its just too fuckin fun

also:

funny how your dream cars change? I feel like my taste in daily drivers is the same as a drug dealer's in 2001

also my helper is in the "no pants" phase

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 5, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Watch out for the "pees on everything" phase - which I'm sure you've already seen the start of.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ah yes, my guy loves a good nature pee. I’m less impressed with the nature poops. In our yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

This one turned up on the whatisthiscar subreddit recently, I wouldn't expect to see something like this out on a public road. Dual-Ghia 400, isn't it?