Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Workers & Resources seemed great before but after your post, it seems absolutely fantastic, even if frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Workers & Resources is great, it's sort of Rimworldy in that there are a ton of ways to fail and collapse your city, but if you enjoy that style of game and figuring out all the systems it is pretty fun. Once you get to the point where you have an army of trucks rolling out to pave a runway or all the factories to manufacture your own cars you feel like you really accomplished something.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What a great write-up, thanks!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I agree, Workers & Resources is fantastic. I think it's the best modern citybuilder (both in setting and the recency of the game itself) and it surprised me with how flexible it was for turning off the complex systems until you get your head around some of the other ones first. When you're dealing with everything it's a really complex tangle of logistics and infrastructure but if you find it hard to get your head around the heating system you can just turn it off, for instance.

The scale of it makes it extremely satisfying to see your towns and industrial complexes and railways and farming villages and tourist resorts spread out across the landscape. That whole transformation of nature thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

I've put around 200 tracked hours into this, and probably twice as much into out-of-engine planning and discussing.

When it actually clicks and you understand and engage with all the systems, it's extremely engaging; as the name implies the game part is essentially an autarkhy simulator, where the goal is to touch the "normal" city builder pay-cash-for-ploppable play as little as possible and instead build out with solely local labor and as many local materials as possible. (Right now there are some points early on where you can't do so, but the next patch is supposed to cover those last few "need a resource to extract more of that resource" blockers.) This does make it a bit slow and deliberate at points.

The catch is that, in the fine tradition of high-quality eurojank, the systems are decently balanced and afford a lot of opportunity for improvement but you've got to figure them out and memorize them yourself. Much of the layout of your towns depends on chains of building going down in a particular order and with particular amounts of free space around them for later expansion; these orders can at least be mirrored but to discover that there's a "mirror building" key you have to pay close attention in the keybinds menu; storages are optional but near-vital and complicate layout further; some buildings push, some pull, and some do neither which is flagged nowhere in the UI; and a number of the services (education, crime, and loyalty in particular) are implemented in a way where they don't gate anything you can see in the UI but the penalties for ignoring them build exponentially and you can brick a start by putting them off a little too long. Some of the services just aren't touched on in the UI at all, orphans are apparently a thing that is tracked but I hadn't noticed the orphanage building tucked away in the ancillary parts of the schools category until my current run. All resource extractors are valid worksites, but some actually require labor and in others any human contribution is overshadowed by machines. The ratio math gets extremely don't-even-try; a logging camp working at full bore supplies, IIRC, 401 chemical plants, for example. And there are of course no general range overlays for anything, just an overlay on initial placement showing connections that will work; you've got to keep in mind, say, that some factories self-heat and will never show a red line to the heat exchanger, while others don't and if they aren't showing a red line on placement will tank their workers' health.
The fairly deserved joke in the thread in Games is that they not only made a communism simulator, but for added veracity they made it unplayable without the tutelage of a vanguard party.

And you definitely have to be able to, psychologically, deal with having slack in a way that the rest of the genre tries to optimize away. Workers prefer to, well, work, and even if you don't need and can't even store any more steel, you'd better be holding hardbass breakdance competitions in the break room every day so those 500 people don't sit at home resentfully unemployed and drinking. Conversely, you're going to need steel to build a lot of things, so even if you only have the people to put 50 to work building the full-sized steel mill is often better than trucking it in from the border. Commutes need to be short enough to deal with winter snow slowing traffic. Factories almost require added storages for their inputs so a single missed shift due to illness at the daycare doesn't result in a refinery worker staying home to watch the kids, resulting in a fuel shortage, resulting in a bus waiting at the gas station, resulting in the whole coal mine missing a shift, resulting in the district heating plant shutting down, resulting in the entire town freezing to death.

So that 200 tracked hours is, to be fair, around 1 in 2019-2020, 5 in 2020-2021, and the remaining 194 in the past year after I put the extra discussing and planning in. :v: But once I stopped having to fight the game, it's quite rewarding, with the pace meaning there's always something to plan around or watch being done rather than the SCitis of eventually just slopping extra zones on and tweaking later.
Holy poo poo this rules extremely. A communism simulator that needs literal central planning

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

Caesar III had the basic formula down, but it didn't have roadblocks, which were such a critical aspect of how the game worked with its randomly-wandering service providers that you can never go back without it. Further, the victory conditions were all basic prosperity metrics, which were fine, but could have been better.

there is a mod (augustus) that ads roadblocks and a bunch of other' stuff to C3

DDRJake streams C3 from time to time, but with a related mod (julius) that just ads some QOL without changing the gameplay
while the walker system looks awful to play with watching someone who knows the game very well use it to beat the very hard maps people send him is interresting

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

i swear to god i clicked on this screenshot and caught myself saying, out loud, "wow, that game looks really good"

:negative:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm about this close to installing the Ceasar 3 Julius and Augustus mods that came out in year of our lord 2021 and updated like last month.

It is a pocket watch builder disguised as a city builder and I love it so

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Egypt: Old Kingdom is not city builder, it's actually a resource management game with a linear narrative thread . That narrative is a depiction of the history of Memphis and later the Old Kingdom of Egypt, which was interesting and made up for the relatively simple gameplay. The art is great too. It's worth a purchase if you want to do some light reading on Ancient Egyptian history.

Frosted Flake posted:

Other than that, I haven’t tried any of the Anno games so if someone could fill me in on those, I’m curious about them.

The Anno gameplay loop is about creating increasingly complex and sprawling production chains to support an imperial core. The economics/social dynamics are completely divorced from reality, with the notable exception of distressingly sober maritime logistics. For me, this is all in service of building cool looking cities (even the periphery cities). Another reason to play this series is if you really, really enjoy making number go up.

Anno 1800 is the game where these systems feel most "right" and possesses an awesome amount of content and breadth. Anno 1404 is similar, but less expansive. The ones set in the future don't click with me aesthetically, and mechanically they are palette swaps of 1404.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also while we're on this genre I am just going to say that Settlers 7 was the best game in the series. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

It has very good gameplay systems but suffers greatly from almost the entire campaign being a giant tutorial not letting you play with all those systems.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that Augustus mod looks incredible. I gotta try that out today.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Also, while we're on citybuilders, Songs of Syx is a recent standout as well. Fantasy rather than historical, and the loading quotes definitely imply that like Vicky the dev is a lolbertarian who set out trying to make something pedagogical from his direction and blundered his way into materialism, central planning, and an LTV trying to make the numbers square away, but it has the same focus on relying on locally-extracted resources as W&R, an additional focus that buildings require constant maintenance so you can never back too far off extraction once you've gotten something up, the meat of your interaction is planning logistics to reliably pull from internal-export warehouses near deposits to supply warehouses near puller workshops that are also near housing, and it lets you get extremely granular with construction: a bakery, say, isn't a building you place, it's a sheltered room with ovens, cooling racks, and coal storage.
And pretty uniquely it uses the fantasy cliches to do things like "Sure, you want some orcs, they breed fast and they're great farmers! But they won't be happy living in squared-off urban grinds of stone, they want to live in rounded wood-framed yurts with trees around, or at least rounded stone towers near a park. Dwarves are great miners and can endure tough winters, but they'll straight-up plant an axe in your sheriff if you ask them to live in a roofed building with a curved wall rather than a cozy undermountain 3m×3m."

Pryor on Fire posted:

Workers & Resources is great, it's sort of Rimworldy in that there are a ton of ways to fail and collapse your city, but if you enjoy that style of game and figuring out all the systems it is pretty fun. Once you get to the point where you have an army of trucks rolling out to pave a runway or all the factories to manufacture your own cars you feel like you really accomplished something.

E: Yes, yes, this is it! Your first domestically-produced tower crane, built under license from Czech or DDR plans but where every girder is domestic steel forged from domestic iron and coal, and every gear machined by domestic workers, rolls off the production line and is ready to be hauled to a construction office to start its career of lifting prefab panels into place. There it will do the hard work of 20 men and women who are now freed to pursue more intellectually engaging careers.
If your reaction is "why did I spend the past 3 hours and ₽200k on plans for this when I could have just paid 30,000 of my ten million rubles, or even better just paid 50,000 of my ten million rubles to have Uncle Joe/Uncle Nicky instabuild that apartment block", W&R probably won't hit for you unless you're very into the Warsaw Pact urban aesthetic.
If, on the other hand, you're relishing the idea that your 7th and beyond cranes cost only labor-time now that you've built up the productive forces, or you're already hearing in your heart an orchestra cue up at the ceremony to cut the ribbon and honor the most dedicated workers on the line, then it's a "wait it's dawn already? poo poo" banger.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Aug 27, 2022

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I like Wargame: Red Dragon even though I'm really bad at it and Eugen seems to encourage it's lovely player base. I just beat the second campaign and felt like an actual genius.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
trip report on Augustus:

* it's dead-simple to download and install

* yes, it has roadblocks. Holy poo poo. You can construct fully contained housing blocks now! incredible!

* it even has global labor pool, that thing that even Pharaoh didn't have that took until Zeus to be implemented. fantastic!

* there are overlays for the range/reach of wells and reservoirs for the water supply. wow!

* the UI panel on the right-hand side has been expanded to include an unemployment indicator

I was able to blast through the first two missions of the campaign in about 20 minutes

KirbyKhan you are a steely-eyed missile man for discovering this reinvigoration of the game

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Aug 27, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

trip report on Augustus:

* it's dead-simple to download and install

* yes, it has roadblocks. Holy poo poo. You can construct fully contained housing blocks now! incredible!

* it even has global labor pool, that thing that even Pharaoh didn't have that took until Zeus to be implemented. fantastic!

* there are overlays for the range/reach of wells and reservoirs for the water supply. wow!

* the UI panel on the right-hand side has been expanded to include an unemployment indicator

I was able to blast through the first two missions of the campaign in about 20 minutes

KirbyKhan you are a steely-eyed missile man for discovering this reinvigoration of the game

having only played emperor i found that i can recognize warehouses, clay pits, etc. on sight

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This thread is like Ajax, head and shoulders above the rest!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mandoric posted:

E: Yes, yes, this is it! Your first domestically-produced tower crane, built under license from Czech or DDR plans but where every girder is domestic steel forged from domestic iron and coal, and every gear machined by domestic workers, rolls off the production line and is ready to be hauled to a construction office to start its career of lifting prefab panels into place. There it will do the hard work of 20 men and women who are now freed to pursue more intellectually engaging careers.
If your reaction is "why did I spend the past 3 hours and ₽200k on plans for this when I could have just paid 30,000 of my ten million rubles, or even better just paid 50,000 of my ten million rubles to have Uncle Joe/Uncle Nicky instabuild that apartment block", W&R probably won't hit for you unless you're very into the Warsaw Pact urban aesthetic.
If, on the other hand, you're relishing the idea that your 7th and beyond cranes cost only labor-time now that you've built up the productive forces, or you're already hearing in your heart an orchestra cue up at the ceremony to cut the ribbon and honor the most dedicated workers on the line, then it's a "wait it's dawn already? poo poo" banger.

You have successfully sold me on trying this game.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
One of the fun things about Workers & Resources is that it doesn't take any shortcuts when simulating personal automobiles which makes them an incredible pain in the rear end. So you might decide to build a fancy automobile manufacturing plant and start handing them out to your most loyal/highly educated citizens, when suddenly you realize "Oh poo poo I need a parking spot for every single one of these things." And then you have parking lots cluttering up your urban spaces. And not only that, but your road system which was built to handle buses and trucks now has to deal with all these personal cars and you go "why did we even decide to let people have their own vehicles in the first place"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wanna see a W&R big box store with parking.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Takanago posted:

One of the fun things about Workers & Resources is that it doesn't take any shortcuts when simulating personal automobiles which makes them an incredible pain in the rear end. So you might decide to build a fancy automobile manufacturing plant and start handing them out to your most loyal/highly educated citizens, when suddenly you realize "Oh poo poo I need a parking spot for every single one of these things." And then you have parking lots cluttering up your urban spaces. And not only that, but your road system which was built to handle buses and trucks now has to deal with all these personal cars and you go "why did we even decide to let people have their own vehicles in the first place"
:owned:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
It's actually really funny how the only way to make a capitalist system in a game is to wave a magic wand and not simulate anything

Incidentally remember that time Sim City tried to make water and power be NPCs that walk around your grid lmao

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Orange Devil posted:

Wanna see a W&R big box store with parking.

the biggest individual car parks you can place in W&R have like 24 spaces or something lol. I guess you could put a shitload of them all together

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's actually really funny how the only way to make a capitalist system in a game is to wave a magic wand and not simulate anything

Incidentally remember that time Sim City tried to make water and power be NPCs that walk around your grid lmao

I wonder how many economic majors have played Sim City and think that's how economies work.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

But they routinely cut back on transportation budgets and they don't regret it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Danann posted:

I wonder how many economic majors have played Sim City and think that's how economies work.

sim city’s design is based on some book on urban planning will wright read in the 80s that was influential on the hellscape single use zoning of american suburbs

so in a way

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I made a strategy war game it's a Charles I simulator :twisted:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/8351/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

sim city’s design is based on some book on urban planning will wright read in the 80s that was influential on the hellscape single use zoning of american suburbs

so in a way

here's the full video to expound on the point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0

"Urban Dynamics" by Jay Wright Forrester was a book written in the 1960s by a guy who decided to apply his modeling of corporate supply chains into modeling a city, and Will Wright used it as a basis for SimCity's simulation of... urban dynamics. The problem is that Forrester's work ends up being a sort of libertarian argument* where social programs are more harmful than helpful.

And it may well be coincidental that Rudy Giuliani saw his son place police stations on every street corner in SimCity to eradicate crime and figured that might be a good idea, or might also be coincidental that the Lech Kaczyński, from the right-wing Law and Justice party of Poland "won" a SimCity competition during his mayoral campaign that would eventually catapult him into the presidency, but to Danann's point, SimCity has been used a lot as a teaching tool, which is a huge problem when you're inadvertently teaching kids that cities rise out of the ground from tabula rasa or that cars are necessarily the only real way to get around and reducing traffic is merely a matter of increasingly complex Cities Skylines mods with even more intricate roadways.

___

* you can also see this in another aspect of SimCity where dropping taxes as low as possible always increases happiness.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You can (and should) use exclusively rail (I think it's ligt rail) in the SNES version of SimCity which might just be a SimCity 1 clone?

But yeah the whole series is dumb garbage from a "how does any of this actually work?" perspective.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Cities Skylines started out as a pretty good Sim City clone (after 2013 shat it completely) with weirdly deep car traffic simulation and then every update to it has just made it a worse game by adding a bunch of systems that don't gel together. I think that's part of what impresses me so much about W&R - not only is it using a better model to simulate an economy and society, but every system works in concert in a really satisfying way because it's all based around resources and supply.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That anecdote about how your game is going to turn to poo poo once you start cranking out cars because the game models each and every car and you'll need to start putting parking spaces everywhere is fascinating to me, because we now have the kind of computational power to render these sorts of simulations at a 1-to-1 level (with enough effort), and when you do that, suddenly all of the "assume a perfect sphere in a frictionless room" bullshit of neoclassical economics goes away and all you're left with is the immortal science.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

That anecdote about how your game is going to turn to poo poo once you start cranking out cars because the game models each and every car and you'll need to start putting parking spaces everywhere is fascinating to me, because we now have the kind of computational power to render these sorts of simulations at a 1-to-1 level (with enough effort), and when you do that, suddenly all of the "assume a perfect sphere in a frictionless room" bullshit of neoclassical economics goes away and all you're left with is the immortal science.

yeah there's a huge impact with even a comparatively small number of cars because they need parking spaces everywhere to be of any use. In my most recent game I tried building with an eye to limited car ownership from the beginning and found that even 100 personal cars (a statistic the game tracks and surfaces pretty prominently) in a population of 15,000 made for a traffic nightmare at previously sufficient junctions. I started having to make multi-laned roads with clearly delineated areas for buses and freight transport and lots of bypasses of particularly clogged areas, it was a mess. Public transport and pedestrian walkways work so much better and with less headache lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

the biggest individual car parks you can place in W&R have like 24 spaces or something lol. I guess you could put a shitload of them all together

I'm halfway through the tutorials on w&r and it's easily the best game of this kind I've played. Also very uplifting instead of just increasingly immiserating and stressful.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's the full video to expound on the point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0

Magnasanti (as mentioned in that video) being the extreme example of an ideal SimCity has got me thinking. IRL both parties in America are pretty much cop supporters with the George Floyd protests after all being sparked by police behavior in a Dem city in a Dem state. And in Magnasanti, extreme police funding is how the city is able to sustain itself despite being a satanic charnel house. It would not surprise me if SimCity would have came up in the childhood memories of the middle and lower functionaries of the two-party-for-one-party-state and they have absorbed the assumptions postulated by SimCity into the real world. Magnasanti in that respect would seem like the logical endpoint of what our neoliberal elites would love.

On the other hand, the other necessary city funding to keep Magansanti afloat is public transportation. It has absolutely abolished streets, parking, etc. and hence relies completely on subways to move population around (though apparently underutilized in the simulation). Destroying a high-value industrial sector is too much to ask of our neoliberal elites and SimCity's non-simulation of the movement and production of goods also means that Magnasanti wouldn't be economically viable.

Magnasanti is an extreme example but it does expose what's desirable in an education system that will incorporate SimCity in the teaching of its youth.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I'm halfway through the tutorials on w&r and it's easily the best game of this kind I've played. Also very uplifting instead of just increasingly immiserating and stressful.

You nerds are really starting to sell me on this game.

Can you roleplay as Allende in full Cybersyn mode?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Danann posted:

Magnasanti (as mentioned in that video) being the extreme example of an ideal SimCity has got me thinking. IRL both parties in America are pretty much cop supporters with the George Floyd protests after all being sparked by police behavior in a Dem city in a Dem state. And in Magnasanti, extreme police funding is how the city is able to sustain itself despite being a satanic charnel house. It would not surprise me if SimCity would have came up in the childhood memories of the middle and lower functionaries of the two-party-for-one-party-state and they have absorbed the assumptions postulated by SimCity into the real world. Magnasanti in that respect would seem like the logical endpoint of what our neoliberal elites would love.

On the other hand, the other necessary city funding to keep Magansanti afloat is public transportation. It has absolutely abolished streets, parking, etc. and hence relies completely on subways to move population around (though apparently underutilized in the simulation). Destroying a high-value industrial sector is too much to ask of our neoliberal elites and SimCity's non-simulation of the movement and production of goods also means that Magnasanti wouldn't be economically viable.

Magnasanti is an extreme example but it does expose what's desirable in an education system that will incorporate SimCity in the teaching of its youth.

The other thing about Magnasanti is its dependance on services from outside the map. All of the pollution is generated elsewhere. It gets all of its utilities from neighbors. So aside from being a domestic fascist hellscape, it's a hellish Imperialist state without. One can only imagine how miserable it is to live in one of Magnasanti's tributary states.

Or, possibly, perhaps Magnasanti's largest trading partner is a People's Republic using Magnasanti's financial wealth to fund its own development, with ideas of building a better future...

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Aug 30, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/529340/Victoria_3/

Victoria 3 up for pre-purchase.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

In Urbek City Builder, a new game in the city builder space, actively talks poo poo about parking lots and it's kind of a failure state to have them at all. You don't get the late buildings until you have a proper transit system. The devs also put anarchist communes as a buildable and shout out Kropotkin. No building in that game requires a police station...except the Religious Neighborhood. You can get to the end game without ever building a police station at all. In fact you kind of have to because the Religious Neighborhood is a developmental dead end

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don’t let me down Wiz.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
There's a 4 hour stream on paradox's channel if you want to play hooky at work.

As for strategy games go, a big shout out to the europa barbarorum for Rome 1. The very definition of a labour of love. Even the corny voice acting with bargain bin microphones had it's moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

There's a 4 hour stream on paradox's channel if you want to play hooky at work.

On it