Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Potato Salad posted:

what the gently caress is this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDPTIfAKoc&t=287s

You are in for a treat my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Potato Salad posted:

what the gently caress is this lmao

So CI came with the idea of Lorville(I think ?), the very un-original city polluted by mega corporations, where the air is toxic, but it’s really just another barren landing zone with a shopping mall and nothing to do.

Anyway, if you are a space poor there, you can’t afford real protection from the toxic air, so you wear a plastic bag on your head. Citizens, with nothing remarkable about Store Citizer to grasp, ran off with the idea and loved it for a while. Then got bored with it and moved back to generic space suit #2754 because it’s actually useful in combat.

Am I imagining the lore? Or is it all true? It’s hard to tell with all uncanny things happening in the project.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

JugbandDude posted:

Whenever I read *dreams* from Monocle Cat, I like to imagine he is taking hits from a bong between paragraphs.

I'm happy he is having as much fun with Store Citizer as we are, it definitely warms my heart.

You're far more charitable than I am. I can't help but think that when Monocle Cat goes on at length about all kinds of nonsense that will absolutely never happen, he's either genuinely delusional, or he's deliberately lying because he knows there are other idiots who will believe every word and he gets a thrill out of it.

He doesn't have the chilled-out vibe of a person who's just, like, imagining how things could be, man.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

cmdrk posted:

wait really? :lol:

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/wvsf0i/updated_visualization_of_current_top_16_of/ilm7r8g/

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Kx7q8WL.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Popete posted:

Waiting for an ARM sponsored mining ship, or a PowerPC kart racer.

:yarg:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:gary:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't think you can be a citizen and chill. This is a community with a hierarchy based on how much money you've sent to dear leader that gets super vicious about anything but blind praise. You can't be super relaxed about a future game but also be constantly vigilant due to a secret operation led by a failed space game developer leveraging a dead internet forum to wage a shadow war against the game.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

What the gently caress would you even cosplay as? Generic_spaceman_404? The game has absolutely no recognizable or original visuals or characters!

There was someone cosplaying as the generic noodle vending machine at one of the Citcons a few years back.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
They did announce the release date at Gamescom?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

They did announce the release date at Gamescom?

Yep, new concept single seat small fighter announcement coming next month.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wait. Wait. Wait.

Everyone shut the gently caress up for a moment.

Have I got this right?

CInG is not going to pay to be at this Gamescom thing, which is in Cologne, which is in Germany, which is a hub for degenerate Citizens... but they are going to show up, pretend to be normie punters, and hand out official (sic) merch?

This seems like something the famously rule-loving German organisers of Gamescom might look a bit askance at, no?

#gamescam2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I love how monocle cat always speaks with absolute authority about what SC will be and what the plans for the game are. As if his words were not just his own headcanon.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

I love how monocle cat Robert Space always speaks with absolute authority about what SC will be and what the plans for the game are. As if his words were not just his own headcanon.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Have I got this right?

CInG is not going to pay to be at this Gamescom thing, which is in Cologne, which is in Germany, which is a hub for degenerate Citizens... but they are going to show up, pretend to be normie punters, and hand out official (sic) merch?

This seems like something the famously rule-loving German organisers of Gamescom might look a bit askance at, no?

#gamescam2022

They've been doing it for a long time, it's only COVID stopping the cons that means it hasn't happened for a bit.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

JugbandDude posted:

Whenever I read *dreams* from Monocle Cat, I like to imagine he is taking hits from a bong between paragraphs.

I'm happy he is having as much fun with Store Citizer as we are, it definitely warms my heart.

I think it's a long con troll - he's insinuated himself into the community and is now starting to subvert dreams.txt so that it becomes even more ridiculous and unobtainable than anything even the most fervent backer could come up with. The alternative (that he's actually serious about all this poo poo) is too much to contemplate.

At least that's how I see it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

What would CIG even show off at a games conference?

Siege of Orison, where the AI doesn't even react to the player? Their alien language in a game that has no aliens? The singular river they added but can't swim in?

No, but you see, Chris knows from experience with SC (that's Strike Commander) that if he shows up at a games conference, other companies will immediately spy on him, steal his groundbreaking ideas, and create custom hardware to make those ideas happen in a few months time — some will even go so far as to travel back in time to make sure they get his ideas out on the market before he can. This included at the time, companies like SEGA and Microprose and Intel, which I suppose by today's standard would be nVidia and EA/DiCE and… huh… still Intel, I guess. Because that's just how big a deal Chris was/is.

No. I'm not actually kidding. He has publicly stated this. Because he's a loving idiot with zero clue about the world around him.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

No, but you see, Chris knows from experience with SC (that's Strike Commander) that if he shows up at a games conference, other companies will immediately spy on him, steal his groundbreaking ideas, and create custom hardware to make those ideas happen in a few months time — some will even go so far as to travel back in time to make sure they get his ideas out on the market before he can. This included at the time, companies like SEGA and Microprose and Intel, which I suppose by today's standard would be nVidia and EA/DiCE and… huh… still Intel, I guess. Because that's just how big a deal Chris was/is.

No. I'm not actually kidding. He has publicly stated this. Because he's a loving idiot with zero clue about the world around him.

huh

shooting for the moon , wants the best of everything

underestimating the timeline hugely, we will get it all done in 1 year! promise

blaming others for the reasons it is taking so long, we showed a sizzle reel and suddenly everyone is releasing before we can!

good job Real Space Robert Space you've done it again

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even back then Chris couldn't help comparing himself to people/projects far more successful. I'm sure Francis Ford Coppola regards Strike Commander as an equal to Apocalypse Now.

The dumb excuse about competitors stealing their ground breaking ideas might actually mean there is some truth to SQ42 "spoilers" being the reason they won't show any gameplay. Well that and cause it's probably a giant mess.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

Even back then Chris couldn't help comparing himself to people/projects far more successful. I'm sure Francis Ford Coppola regards Strike Commander as an equal to Apocalypse Now.

And the Apollo Programme of course.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Thoatse posted:

There's been other Monkey Island/crobbler memes over the years but I can't remember what I labeled them as if I saved them at all..

my bookmark folders for this poo poo have grown almost as impenetrable as start citizen itself as the eons pass

I have 991 pics and vids saved in /home/pictures/screenshots/weird/starcitizen. With their original names. Which prevents me from duplicates because some people nicely link back to the original imgur picture years later when I think I see it for the first time because I can't remember it all.

Here's one that popped up as I made a few clicks through the collection.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Con sucessfl

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Is that the mtg buttcrack guy?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Only Kindness posted:

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Have I got this right?

#gamescam2022

They did at one point. I want to say one of the last ones they tried to attend officially was where they also unveiled theaters of war to unsuspecting people. The game didn't play well, or show well.

At previous visits, they ran into equal difficulty and frequent problems getting the game to run for people to play it at some stations. The stations which they made a big deal over buying the latest and greatest gaming hardware available at that time just for that show, of course. Anything less would render things a slide show.

The core problem with all of these visits was that when you sit star citizen next to another game studio, you tend to notice the problems and lack of features and fun.

At one con there was a private area where you could play "Robert Space Industries" game. It was all private and by invitation only so no general public could witness the amazingness of it. There were pictures of the walled off area and their name at one point but I can't find them anymore, so maybe I'm misremembering.

I'm not sure what politics may be involved internally, but after their last showing they stopped going "officially" but still sent a team to attend and spread the word at the conventions. Were they not invited? Did they embarrass themselves too much? Is only sending unofficial people better looking than buying a booth because you don't have to actually show your product off if you don't have a booth, thus avoiding aforementioned embarrassment?

I don't know. But regardless, despite not being official they still used the hash tags and even logos of the conventions on their pages as if they were genuinely invited/going/attending. These usually were some kind of shady meetup with whoever wanted to go at a bar nearby- but not inside the convention itself.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The need to learn how to point a camera, but I guess their hands were trembling after seeing mega-celebrity Hobo Lando.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 26, 2022

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Titanic posted:

They did at one point. I want to say one of the last ones they tried to attend officially was where they also unveiled theaters of war to unsuspecting people. The game didn't play well, or show well.

I'm pretty sure that was at their own event, Citizencon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'll never get tired of how "Citizen con" is such a fantastic name for the event.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe so. They all start to blend together.

You can only spit on so many anniversary cakes for your unreleased video game at your private events.

Maybe that was one of the last citizen conning events where they tried to show off the game or pieces of it for people to play?

Their demos have always been hilariously scripted and the person "playing" the level had very specific things they had to do and look at it things would break- and even then it broke.

If I recall the unveiling of ToW was like weeks after they lost Rexzilla, who I still believe that whole module was built for, and it was an utter disaster and met with bewilderment. Nobody wanted ToW and without Rexzilla to push it with his Monster Energy bro power, cig didn't have the personality force to make people happy with it.

Since then ToW has been heavily downplayed and Who knows what's up with it now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Last I heard, after Firesprite was bought by Sony, TOW got folded into the maintenance team for Star Marine and Arena Commander, i.e. it's effectively dead.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I guess that means we can expect some awesome content like "cart racing". :)

In other words, buy an idris today because the game is about to really kick in those pipelines and Chris is about to program out Internet 3.0 to support thousands of simultaneous players in huge wars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they sell so many spaceships but they still haven't made a spaceship that looks good or cool yet

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I believe the last actual games convention CIG attended was Gamescom 2017. After that it was probably too embarrassing to show up another year and still be no closer to releasing an actual game.

So they started their own convention free of public scrutiny as it's really only attended by backers. They even stopped doing this because it was too embarrassing to show their lack of progress to their own most fervent supporters.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I really hope they go back to having CitCons, but they’ve probably realized that it was far beyond the minimum effort required to keep rubes giving them money. The community is self-perpetuating and self-policing.

I enjoyed the last CitCon in 2019, when the crowd went wild over tarp physics.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

I really hope they go back to having CitCons, but they’ve probably realized that it was far beyond the minimum effort required to keep rubes giving them money. The community is self-perpetuating and self-policing.

I enjoyed the last CitCon in 2019, when the crowd went wild over tarp physics.

They 100% realized that the amount of effort they put into faking CitCon demos was not worth it as they can just throw up a days worth of dev lectures and concept art videos with 5 minutes of intro/outro from Chris and still rake in just as much money.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Pipelines are just about to kick in

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

When our dog lets out a stinky fart in the living room, it’s also a roaring success

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

God that event was absolute loving glorious.

Crobbler literally told them not to cosplay the bag on the head.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Did anyone reply with quotes that show that is 100% not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bold of these terminally online weirdos to think they are going to have grandkids or kids at all lol