Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Didn't you hear? Leyline Binding is the best removal since Swords to Plowshares, no kap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Lash of Infusion from Strixhaven does basically the same thing, interesting that they're spreading that sort of effect around color wise.

Flowstone Infusion is probably a one-off, as a callback to Flowstone cards from Nemesis which were red cards that gave +X/-X (mostly creatures that did that to themselves).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Flowstone Infusion is probably a one-off, as a callback to Flowstone cards from Nemesis which were red cards that gave +X/-X (mostly creatures that did that to themselves).

Those were callbacks to Flowstone cards from Tempest block which were red cards that gave +X/-X (mostly creatures that did that to themselves).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

lol power creep marches on

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 26, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Lash of Infusion from Strixhaven does basically the same thing, interesting that they're spreading that sort of effect around color wise.

Immolation was in Legends and one of the Innistrad sets last year, same text but an Aura not Instant.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
okay nevermind holy gently caress this power creep

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

Man, why couldn't this be a zombie!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Are these knights, as much as they want to evoke the classic White and Black Knights, actually better than them?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sort of unfair that black overrides white, but yeah, see how far we've crept since White Knight...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was going to spend 30 bucks going to an RCQ tomorrow but then I was reminded that would mean Omnath so instead I bought the ingredients to bake a cake. This has been my exprience with Magic the last few months, I'd rather look at and craft around the game but the very thought of even playing has become demoralizing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

I'd have loved it as a zombie, but it at the very least should have been a phyrexian.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

It has a white counterpart as a reference to Black Knight and White Knight. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

The beat goes on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It has a white counterpart as a reference to Black Knight and White Knight. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

The beat goes on.

The black knight could now be a zomie knight. (I own a beta black night, i am aware of the history)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Right. Like these. One is even mirran/NPH

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Thranguy posted:

Sort of unfair that black overrides white, but yeah, see how far we've crept since White Knight...

actually the flavor rules.

if black knight blocks white knight, it dies, but white knight cannot block black knight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

I was going to spend 30 bucks going to an RCQ tomorrow but then I was reminded that would mean Omnath so instead I bought the ingredients to bake a cake. This has been my exprience with Magic the last few months, I'd rather look at and craft around the game but the very thought of even playing has become demoralizing.

what kind of cake?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Thranguy posted:

With equal amounts of mana, white can't block black at all, black can't block white without dying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

actually the flavor rules.

if black knight blocks white knight, it dies, but white knight cannot block black knight

if both are out on the field but don't go into combat, the "can't gain life" ability wins out... much to think about

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

what kind of cake?

Tiramisu.
But since it DMU I guess: Terramisu

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiramisu kicks rear end

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

if both are out on the field but don't go into combat, the "can't gain life" ability wins out... much to think about

All that's required for evil the black knight to triumph is for good men the white knight to do nothing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Panderfringe posted:

The parts I really enjoyed about the game are dying, of not totally dead. Limited is still fun occasionally, but that can't really hold my attention for more than a couple weeks.

Panderfringe posted:

They're going to kill standard on arena. They'll keep it in paper, since a rotating format means they make more money. Given modern's popularity I think they're going to support competitive play more than they planned to when they killed the MPL, and figure they might as well have standard in paper again. But yeah, it's gone from Arena by the end of 2022, no question. Pioneer also isn't coming to Arena, at least not the paper version. If we get anything then we're getting an "alchemy" Pioneer.

i dont think this posters opinion about mtg should be taken seriously

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

You're not wrong at all. Modern was the only format I really enjoyed and it's just been pretty miserable since mh2 power crept most of the fun jank I played out of the format, and with Omnath running around it's even less appealing

Did pick up the new elf lord and the enchantment board wipe, at least there's a few new things to try

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

Tiramisu.
But since it DMU I guess: Terramisu

hell yeah. what recipe are you using? complicated to make?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

everyone posting about the b/w knight knockoffs need to "gain 1 life" iykwim

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

babypolis posted:

i dont think this posters opinion about mtg should be taken seriously

Lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

Could just as easily go for anyone who has ever posted in this thead tbh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kalel posted:

It's too late. For me, MTG is the "Knight of Dusk's Shadow under an opponent's control" iykwim

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what other commons stand out besides the flying organ hoarder to you all. nothing else has grabbed my attention so far

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

what other commons stand out besides the flying organ hoarder to you all. nothing else has grabbed my attention so far

this

This thing has 3 goddamn ways to gotcha your opponent, for 1 mana

Also, Homarid

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

babypolis posted:

Bog Badger looks good to me--3/3 for 3 and for 1 more could be a finisher.

Oh, Lightning Strike got downshifted?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Downshifted strike? So it went from common to basic land slot, good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Moose posted:

this

Also, Homarid

:eyepop:

This is probably even better than Slip out the Back. And it's at common!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Downshifted strike? So it went from common to basic land slot, good

Didn't realize it had been printed at common before Ixalan. Hope the burn made you feel good! :jerkbag:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

babypolis posted:

Like, for what format? Limited, I see a lot of stuff I'd love to pick high. Standard, quite a few thing I'd put in my deck while I don't have many rares yet, and that might stay there as I develop a deck. Other formats, no clue, won't play them.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

A Moose posted:

this

Also, Homarid

This thing is gonna punish me so much in limited

I'm tired with these tricks that allow you to untap creatures!!! Let us attack in peace

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

babypolis posted:

Benalish Sleeper is an interesting riff on the effect by making it optional, and one of the few kicker cards in this set worth the cmc kicked or unkicked. Yavimaya Steelcrusher is a straight upgrade to Torch Fiend and Reckless Reveler, having 1 more toughness, a colorless sacrifice cost, and Enlist. Shadow Prophecy comes drat close to something between Dig Through Time and Fact or Fiction with full domain. Smash to Dust is a bad Abrade but having two very different types of removal as modes on a single card is always worth consideration. Shield-Wall Sentinel is a weird creature tutor but a unique one. Shore Up untaps the creature which is new for the cheap hexproof spell.

On the more Melvin side, Haunting Figment is the first blue creature with Vigilance since Planar Chaos, the deliberate out-of-color-things set, which is an interesting development in giving blue creatures keywords besides flying and ward. Samite Herbalist is just a charming design, working both when attacking or being enlisted but without spelling either out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Didn't realize it had been printed at common before Ixalan. Hope the burn made you feel good! :jerkbag:

You gotta get a thicker skin, that was a very light joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Could just as easily go for anyone who has ever posted in this thead tbh

lol

Judgy Fucker posted:

lmao