Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I suppose I shouldn't complain since at least it's not racist or something, but I don't think I like these strips where the joke seems to be that it would be funny if poor people talked about things in the same way the middle class does.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 14, 1952)

I don't mean this as a complaint, but I'm not sure if "druid" is the right term for a Norse priest. I thought that was a Celtic/Gaulish name.

I like that val is like "well we tried with the jesus stuff, oh well. Give me the good poo poo druid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

So, brief update on Boss Dharma. There are actually a couple of extra comics, I think because Park Sung-hoon's backlog had already gotten that far when Sports Donga told him they were cutting his pages. The newspaper itself was downsized and has not replaced Boss Dharma with a new comic. I'll translate those last two, just so they're all there. Still wondering what, if anything, to do next. I honestly wasn't sure how many people were even reading Boss Dharma, but it seems like more than I thought. Doing more Park Sung-hoon stuff probably isn't in the cards. Mother From Another Country is still stuck behind Kakao's aggressive anti-copypasting wall. Park Sung-hoon has also been posting these Schrodinger's Cat comics on his blog...but these are in a format I don't especially care for. The blog in question if you were wondering.

I do have a couple of ideas for other comics I might like to translate- neither current, since as Boss Dharma's downsizing shows, newspaper and print comics really just aren't a thing anymore in South Korea. Everything is webtoons, and while these aren't bad, the format is just way too radical a departure to be on brand for the thread. I was thinking in particular of The Demons of Baseball, a hugely influential comic from the eighties that did a lot to distinguish South Korean comics as a style from Japanese ones. Nearly everyone in South Korea is at least familiar with the comic's memetic imagery, even if not everyone knows what it's from.

The Demons of Baseball was really more a comic book than a newspaper comic, though, if that matters. The Wandering Culinarian, however, did start out in a newspaper, despite eventually moving online, much like Chief Dharma did for a spell, ultimately maintaining the same structure. Neither of these titles are especially directly translated. Part of how they can be identified as being from a different era and a very specific cultural context is their casual use of weird Korean words with no direct English equivalents. Just, like, with baseball stuff and food stuff instead of office stuff. I'm toying with the idea of just doing both and alternating when I feel like it. Because hey, it's what Giant Ethicist does.

Demons of Baseball sounds really interesting. I love hearing about influential comics like that, so I'd be down to at least seeing some of it and see what's up if it's not too difficult to localize.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Some Guy TT posted:

I honestly wasn't sure how many people were even reading Boss Dharma, but it seems like more than I thought. [/url].

I admit the panel layouts took some getting used to, but I quite enjoyed it once I did. I think it's been one of the consistently best comics in the thread and I appreciate your efforts to bring it to us. I'm going to miss seeing it.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 26, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Black Friday going from,

"Legit good enough deals to make (typically low-income) folks want to fight over them" in the early 2ks to "Obviously bullshit bait on products specifically designed for BF and probably not worth the trouble" 10 years later to stores just staying closed that day and letting people stay home and shop online ...

It's a good development.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (October 3-9, 1983)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

I don't mean this as a complaint, but I'm not sure if "druid" is the right term for a Norse priest. I thought that was a Celtic/Gaulish name.

We don't even know if the norse had priests.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 6, 1934)

Peanuts (August 29, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Yeah, especially since she aged twenty years since the first of January.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Toar knows a sinking ship when he sees one. (March 28, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 7-9, 1939; timg'd for the usual reasons)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Unrelenting Sexual Gratification Followed By Good Ol' Fashioned Dumbass Peril.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

[No friday comic available.]

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

Boss Dharma :words:
I was reading Boss Dharma and enjoyed it! Anything you decide to post is all right with me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

drat Dawn is laughing so hard she's crying.

The Phantom

"And as your last memories flood your brain like the urine and feces flooding your pants as you lose control of your body, you think "If only I had listened to Mozz! Such a brilliant man, and always there to try to help me!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Now he's got sucking chest wounds on both sides he might be dead-dead by Monday.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Comic Strips 2022: Spoilered for racism

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Hey, thank you for translating and posting these. I've always enjoyed Dharma, and I'd be into the Korean baseball comic!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 26, 2022

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Given how into ASMR some folks are I could see this having legs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

can we get James Allen back

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Another vote for baseball comic!

Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "420 -Jucika Takes Her Husband Home"

"421 - Jucika And The Unwise Jealousy"

quote:

Mark Trail

Admiring the size of Docs head relative to his body between all 4 panels. Also his hands, his elbow in panel 2, his body just becoming a trapezoid with the arms drawn on as lines in panel 3 and 4. The sketch line not fully erased in panel 3. The lawn libation bottle between panel 1 and 3. The soda can. Doc's coat pocket.

lol, lmao

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Hell yeah the Rival emerges!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass (I screwed up and posted today's comic yesterday so here's the one we missed. Sorry about that.)

Old School Peanuts (Oct 2, 1953)

I don't get it.

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 23-24, 1992)

Big Nate

I know the teacher is basically a cartoon villain in the animated series but has she actually done anything in the comics to earn this level of hostility? Everything I've seen of her up so far just seems like someone who's kind of sick of the BS that comes with her job but otherwise isn't actually a hateful or bad person. Like here for example, she could nail the little poo poo to the wall here but instead chooses to let him off the hook. That's pretty chill behavior imo. Is the joke about her character that Nate's built up an entirely one-sided rivalry with her or something? Because that would be kind of a fun dynamic if it's intentional.

And finally we have the triumphant return of Sad Children Contemplate Life and Also Birds Aren't Real You Boob, You Absolute Dumbass (aka Blind Alley) :toot:

So to recap for those completely lost, there is a town somewhere called Blind Alley where a bunch of kid's hang out and talk about nothing in particular while learning important lessons about bullying and such. Most of the comics are like this one but there are lots of weird details hinting that there's more happening under the surface. Some of these weird details include:

1) A mysterious figure living in the sewers
2) One of the kid's remembering another character's name as once being "Betty" but for some reason isn't able to put his finger on when such a change may have happened nor can anybody remember her ever using that name
3) One of the kids having dreams that hint at some sort of great tragedy/rebirth to come. She hangs out with another kid who can speak to trees or something.
4) The town being full of cameras disguised as birds.
5) The hobo kid carrying what appears to be a Great Old One in his sack.
6) The baby having psychic powers.
7) A can on a string in a back yard somewhere where if you listen to it you hear gibberish.
8) One of the kids being able to do real magic when trying to do fake stage magic.
9) One kid having no idea what a cat is.
10) Large chunks of the town being in dilapidated or in a state of disrepair.

As far as actual plot it's pretty vague but so far the major events are that a hobo kid gets a letter from a bird and based on it's contents decides to head to Blind Alley. Meanwhile in Blind Alley the neighborhood dog and best friend of the kid with the skull mask leaves town in shame after ruining a card game while chasing a stick. The computer nerd kid discovers the bird cameras and starts collecting them from around town. He discovers something shocking through his research but his laptop is stolen by an unknown actor before he can learn more. Meanwhile the dog runs into the hobo kid, sees the great old one in his satchel and books it. The great old one and hobo kid give chase realizing that the dog may know the way to Blind Alley but the chase is interrupted by mysterious creatures who chase both parties. They reach a cliff and hobo kid drops his sack on a stick which the dog fetches on instinct causing him to jump into the chasm and possibly (but probably not) killing him. Good job hobo kid.

And that's kind of where we left off. The dog is probably dead, the skull kid is sad the dog is missing, the hippie twins are still having ominous dreams, and the computer kid is freaking out over his missing computer.

Got that? Good, you are now qualified to read Blind Alley. Use this power wisely.

E: Here's the cast page to remind you of who everybody is:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 26, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

I know the teacher is basically a cartoon villain in the animated series but has she actually done anything in the comics to earn this level of hostility? Everything I've seen of her up so far just seems like someone who's kind of sick of the BS that comes with her job but otherwise isn't actually a hateful or bad person. Like here for example, she could nail the little poo poo to the wall here but instead chooses to let him off the hook. That's pretty chill behavior imo. Is the joke about her character that Nate's built up an entirely one-sided rivalry with her or something? Because that would be kind of a fun dynamic if it's intentional.

As far as I can tell she's a normal, nice person. Like, looking at this strip in a vacuum Nate seems like a huge rear end in a top hat because she's being nice and forgiving him for not only breaking something of hers, but also trying to hide it. And refusing to accept any sort of monetary compensation from him when he offers. And the punchline is that he thinks she's some sort of person that's easy to dislike? Like, this looks worse than Dustin for setting up someone the audience is apparently supposed to think is a bad person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coincidentally, this is why she's not dating now.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Medenmath posted:

as far as we know there was no such thing as a norse priest - the religion was practised by everyone, and at most the local political leader was simply seen as a slightly more authoritative voice on how their community should practise it. i might've gone with "hermit" instead seeing as this guy seems to be living in a cave for religious purposes, but that might not connote the kind of woodsy mysticism attached to "druid" that i suspect will come into play as val gets his tits blasted off by hallucinogens.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTT3VPriV8

Pretty good underwear dancing music.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Today kinda mauled me, so here's everything that's ready at the moment.

Toonerville Folks (November 24-26, 1919)

Dok's "Alphabet Soup" Duck (April 28, 1914)

So yeah, as a result of deteriorating diplomatic relations between the US and Mexico over the Tampico Affair, American troops began an operation to seize the port of Veracruz on the morning of April 21, 1914. At first they were trying to take the waterfront, but by the night of the 22nd, 6,000 US troops had taken the entire city.

In an attempt to prevent a full-fledged war, a mediation offer was made by Argentina, Brazil and Chile, who were at the time beginning to negotiate the ABC pact for regional coordination among the wealthiest South American countries. Mexico and the US both took up the offer, and on May 20th a peace conference was underway on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

re: Nate, I just assume it's standard "child thinks teacher is a scary hard rear end, but they're normal otherwise" behavior

like I would never have thought twice about it if people here weren't raking Nate for doing a Dustin

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

the nate teacher thing is so clearly a knock off of Calvin and Mrs. Wormwood, but without watterson’s talent

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The comic holds to actual history with it's typical standard, i.e. next to nothing, or I'mma say it right here - Portillo has a terrible taste in neckwear, or How the tide has turned...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 19, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

1: yeah man you played basketball but then you hosed off to space for a million years and you keep getting sidetracked by your goddess-wife's various ventures but spoilers the world keeps going even if your family isn't paying attention to it, maybe do your job.
2: love of god I do not want what Holbrook thinks D&D is in any metric, least of all in this awful loving comic, because everyone involved would either be the worst DM or player and I bet your rear end the lovely boss is going to show up as a dragon or monster or something.

I can't think of many people in this thread's comics who I would want to play roleplaying games with; probably Wallace and his friends or the kids from Crabgrass because they'd have a good drive to do stuff and interact with the game and kids in general like to have fun but directly contrast them with the Family Circus kids and I'd rather nail a hammer into my foot than play tabletop games with Jeffy, Billy, Dolly and PJ.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

CUT-OUT

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Carrying a baby lamb into battle is absolutely a thing! I promise you! It's time for you to learn about the First Earth Battalion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Ian Cameron??? Oh boy!!!

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins