Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I want to reach level 2 Sumera rep before the weekly reset, and I'm not sure if it's even doable. I've done the archon quest and explored 10% of Sumeru so far, which gets me about halfway there. Looks like I'm trying to do half a dozen sidequests and even more exploration over the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I still haven't even started the archon quests yet woops. Just been exploring random places. Also beelined domains to work on getting Tighnari up to speed so I can properly use him out in the overworld.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

This is the first time they've introduced a new area since I started playing, so I've been trying to do the archon quest stuff first as a fun change of pace. It feels like I did the entire rest of the world backwards, including getting the cutscene for entering the Chasm for the first time while I was leaving the Chasm.

I like Tig's character but I can't possibly justify spending wishes on an archer when I basically never use them. I gotta save for dudes who are also functional (thankfully I did manage to get Zhongli).

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FractalSandwich posted:

In that scene where Ayaka offers to have some clothes made for you, there was a fraction of a second where I thought they might actually give me an alternate outfit for the Traveller. FF14 has set my expectations too high.

Yeah, same. I was like, "Ooh, are they finally going to do- oh there it is, of course not."

There being no customization options for Traveler makes the least sense even over the super popular 5 stars; not everyone has a Kazuha, but everyone has a Traveler, and they're probably tired of seeing the same outfit all the time. You could sell even a basic color swap option that would easy to make (Lumine in black/Aether in white) and that would probably do well

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The line of mushrooms walking together in the mushroom forest. I feel sooo bad fighting them. In general tho I love the mushrooms a lot, my favorite new enemies since launch, they're all so cute, unqiue, easy, and slapping around five different mushroom tyoes at once is so funny. Sumeru is incredible.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Saw a dendroculus on the map and a small cave entrance.
Thought this was going to be a quick puzzle in a small room.

Been getting lost in these underground caverns for an hour.
Haven't gotten the dendroculus.

Sumeru is pretty good.

Not sure how busted the dendro reaction soup can be, but it sure is fun to play around with.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Yeah, I normally hate underground tunnels in games, but Sumeru nails it. I do need to figure out how to get past those vines soon though, or I'm gonna get impatient.

I'm in awe of how much content I've done while still having not touched the quests. Most of my zone exploration percentages are barely over 50.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Trying to beeline the archon quest in order to unlock reputation (want those wings), but the truth is that I am utterly incapable of beelining anything in this game lol

How much more is there after the first scene with Deyha? If it's a lot I may just give up on this week's bounties and aim for starting next week instead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fyi, there are a LOT of underground spaces in Sumeru and some of them are absolutely massive and labyrinthine.

Tighnari is good fun even with a blue dendro cup. Partners up with Yae really nicely.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, I normally hate underground tunnels in games, but Sumeru nails it. I do need to figure out how to get past those vines soon though, or I'm gonna get impatient.

I'm in awe of how much content I've done while still having not touched the quests. Most of my zone exploration percentages are barely over 50.

I highly recommend finishing that alt-story line quest, you need the gadget and the songs to finish some puzzles you might find in the world. It's like the Sacred Sakura quest from Inazuma, a couple of puzzles rely on progress in it. It is ABSURDLY long though (I spent like half of yesterday on it and I'm still not done...)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah Aranyaka is a massive quest chain

easily took me 10 hours

worth it. Sumeru has some of the best quest design and writing, and it ties all of the areas together with the power of the Ocarina Lyre

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 5, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

I highly recommend finishing that alt-story line quest, you need the gadget and the songs to finish some puzzles you might find in the world. It's like the Sacred Sakura quest from Inazuma, a couple of puzzles rely on progress in it. It is ABSURDLY long though (I spent like half of yesterday on it and I'm still not done...)

Yeah, I figured anything involving music notes or the not-Koroks are story locked, but there's still been plenty to do. Now that I've got a solid Dendro-themed team going and have familiarized myself with the land, I think I'll finally get started on the quests.

No Wave posted:

The line of mushrooms walking together in the mushroom forest. I feel sooo bad fighting them. In general tho I love the mushrooms a lot, my favorite new enemies since launch, they're all so cute, unqiue, easy, and slapping around five different mushroom tyoes at once is so funny. Sumeru is incredible.

Another thing that's been a knock out of the park has been the enemy design. All the mobs are aesthetically cool and diverse, but also interesting to fight without being frustrating. Judging by 3.1 leaks, they're just getting started.

I wish there were more flying Ruin Drakes to fight. It's quite satisfying to blow them up in the sky.

https://i.imgur.com/U6ay2ku.mp4

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

There's something intensely satisfying about Tighnari's burst animation followed by a waterfall explosion of numbers.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

In that scene where Ayaka offers to have some clothes made for you, there was a fraction of a second where I thought they might actually give me an alternate outfit for the Traveller. FF14 has set my expectations too high.

Well I was thinking as well they could have probably chopped the OST up into collectors items and charged like 40-50 dollars a pop like Square Enix or something like that and done quite well with it but chose to just release things to the public on youtube for free. Its just unheard of kind of stuff. No super love for China or anything, but IMO if this game had been done by a Japanese company they'd have squeezed the poo poo out of its fanbase every which way by now in ways like that. Even the merchandising would have been a whole other level already with big deals with figurine companies to make figurines out of every character by now instead of just a small handful and some plushies.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Tighnari took my already monsterous C6R5 Yae Miko and made all of her turret attacks burst damage levels of stupid and now she does 15k on auto-attack. Thanks Tighnari! I have no idea what mechanics anything has in the overworld because if it dares to have dendro on it, Yae Miko obliterates it instantly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's something intensely satisfying about Tighnari's burst animation followed by a waterfall explosion of numbers.

My primogems are in danger...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Also he's an adorable botany nerd who talks about making bookmarks out of leaves

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Hah, me too just earlier today. The 48-hour respawn timer is murder though. It's not Ayaka but at least now I can sympathize for anyone who pulled her on her first banner.

IMO getting the sakura blossoms was much easier, because there seem to have been a much larger number condensed within a smaller area (mostly just on the first island). I think it only took like 3 spawns of them for me to have enough to fully ascend her.

These lotus things appear to be spread throughout the entire zone, and I've only found a couple places with a large number in one place.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I also like how his rotation has these brief "super fast charge attack" phases after each skill use. Though currently mine does garbage damage because he's still really weak (I have him built almost entirely for EM right now just because that's what I have on hand).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's true - Sakura spawn count was higher, and blossoms are only on Kannazuka. It took me three spawns for Ayaka either way but Ayaka is less level dependent on top of it. PLUS collei has her own mushroom needs which are even harder! (also, fishing, even though end of the line is an extraordinarily bad weapon)

Also, if for some reason you arent using your Fading Twilight, give it to Collei it's exactly what she wants.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 26, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Note Block posted:

Tighnari took my already monsterous C6R5 Yae Miko and made all of her turret attacks burst damage levels of stupid and now she does 15k on auto-attack. Thanks Tighnari! I have no idea what mechanics anything has in the overworld because if it dares to have dendro on it, Yae Miko obliterates it instantly.

Yeah I guess we have our answer for what completes Yae Mikos kit now. Gives credence to the leak that she's apparently supposed to show up in 3.2 for some contest in Sumeru and that she'll be getting a rerun then.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

Yeah I guess we have our answer for what completes Yae Mikos kit now. Gives credence to the leak that she's apparently supposed to show up in 3.2 for some contest in Sumeru and that she'll be getting a rerun then.

If she brings her girlfriend along as a rerun that will be a painful banner for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I figured out part of what bugs me about Genshin's main story quests.

The developers are basically in a situation where they need to make them short enough that people can reasonably quickly get through them to unlock content immediately after release (like when Sumeru is released, there's an expectation that you can literally finish its story content immediately after). But this ends up with every full story segment, which is released only once every 7-8 months or whatever, consisting of only a few hours of content. Which isn't really sufficient to tell an interesting story well.

I think a better way to do things would be to divy up the main story across a far greater number of updates. They already do something like this with event quests (and those quests frequently feel better written and more engaging than the main story quests!). Not every update needs to have fancy cutscenes, but it would give them more room for telling a good story.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
How's a Tighnari/Yae Miko/Fischl/Kuki Shinobu team looking for people who've rolled for the boy? (Or alternatively replace Kuki with Zhongli)

Really want an excuse to use Yae Miko and Fischl and I'm hoping Tighnari can be that excuse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really like how this new world boss doesn't have any invincibility phases. Can kill it with just a single Yoimiya skill window.

Danakir posted:

How's a Tighnari/Yae Miko/Fischl/Kuki Shinobu team looking for people who've rolled for the boy? (Or alternatively replace Kuki with Zhongli)

Really want an excuse to use Yae Miko and Fischl and I'm hoping Tighnari can be that excuse.

This isn't really a response so much as a related question, but is it maybe a good idea to have an Anemo mixed in there? Seems like you'd get plenty of energy with two Electro, and from what I understand Anemo doesn't negatively interfere with other elements and gives you the VV shred.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

If she brings her girlfriend along as a rerun that will be a painful banner for me.

For what its worth my guess would be since Raiden has already had a rerun fairly recently and Yae hasn't had one yet the most likely candidates for another one in the next couple patches would be Shenhe and Yae. I dont know maybe Shenhe will come over the mountain to eat some Sumeran grass or something.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah, the team ive seen run most commonly is nari/yae/fischl/sucrose-or-kaz

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Danakir posted:

The main issue I see with this team is not having an good on-fielder. Tighnari doesn't want to be on field once he unloads his pewpews. Fischl same with Oz. Kuki doesn't do anything special by being on field, and might even put herself in danger. I haven't used Yae enough to know this, is she good at filling time on field while others' cooldowns finish? I imagine she's all right being a catalyst, but her actual attacks are super slow and root you in place. Ideally, Tigh wants to be paired with someone with a downtime mirroring his own, but Yae's burst CD is twice as long.

And like Ytalya said, Anemo would be worth having for VV. Honestly, I think Sayu over Kuki would really shine here. Her infused roll would give something to do during Tigh's downtime, which would benefit greatly from her EM as it would do both swirl and aggravate.

Oh man, I forgot about Sayu but I think her time might have arrived. And maybe Rainslasher, for that matter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I was wondering while exploring Sumeru - is Venti maybe more useful again? Seems like there's a higher proportion of smaller enemies that I can suck up with Jean (which I assume probably means Venti could also suck them up with his burst). I remember many/most enemies seemed immune to it in Inazuma.

Mix. posted:

yeah, the team ive seen run most commonly is nari/yae/fischl/sucrose-or-kaz

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking of, only with Raiden instead of Fischl (seems like there might be good windows for Raiden's burst, due to the absence of any fully "carry DPS" role).

edit: Oh wait, forgot heals. Can maybe make use of my Sayu that I got to level 90 for some reason in the lead-up to Sumeru (though I haven't actually leveled her talents much).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

First big complaint is that they keep throwing unvoiced dialogue during gameplay segments, especially fights.

Also I just finished the Aranyaka questline and yeah, that was like 14-15 hours and there's still more to it. Cool ending, shame it wasn't voiced though.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Sayu but I think her time might have arrived. And maybe Rainslasher, for that matter.

Wouldn't Jean be better than Sayu in that scenario?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Danakir posted:

Wouldn't Jean be better than Sayu in that scenario?

Sayu scales well with EM, so she could potentially be procing a lot of swirls, aggravates, and aggravated swirls

I dunno if it's practical though. I wanna try, but tbh I've never loved her handling

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I forgot how this game worked. I just got to Inazuma and spent way too long just wandering around looking for things. Halp.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I use Tigh/Fischl/Yae/Zhongli (not a healer but close enough). I don't find there's any issue with needing an onfielder because having to Yae turret every 12 seconds takes up a good three seconds, tighnari takes up five or six between burst+skill+charge shots, and then it's just Fischl E or Q and zhongli hold E. Certainly has no problem vs world bosses but kind of falls apart in the current 12-1-1 and 12-1-2 for a variety of reasons (huge aoe rooms + obnoxious element shields that make aggravate impossible).

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Yae is great with Dendro MC, the only problem is that sometimes she will explode the peaceful bison-thing wandering up the road next to the enemy camp. Sorry, bison-thing!

(insert malicious fox laughter here)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I've been running Tigh/Fischl/Shinobu/Kazuha myself. Between Fischl & Shinobu you have plenty of electro application to ensure you're constantly applying Quicken/Spread for Tigh and Kazuha boosts their damage with VV swirls and his own shenanigans. Shinobu works out well because I want Tighnari relatively close since I have Aqua Simulacra on him. Even though I have him at 70 with a mediocre artifact set (4* Cup & Sands right now) and low EM (like 250 before Gilded Dreams kicks in), and low talent levels he does enough damage to handle the overworld absolutely fine. Looking forward to getting him properly invested because he's a lot of fun to play with his quick fire shotgun playstyle.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
70 pulls for no fischl and a single collei. Ok game. I give up. I tried. C6 fischl isn't allowed to me. Guess I'm being told to save for the next batch of characters instead. I'll just take my time enjoying sumeru because this so far is my favorite zone to just walk around in. It looks good, it sounds good, the enemies are fun. Exploring can be a bit of a pain with the verticality. The map isn't terribly useful when mushroom hunting for collei at all. But it's still good.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I didn't know being locked out of coop also locks you out of the teapot, that's kinda annoying. Guess I can't leave Rana sleeping that much longer.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah teapot is annoyingly co-op only, so you can't, like, check to see where quests are while inside it.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Zenostein posted:

I didn't know being locked out of coop also locks you out of the teapot, that's kinda annoying. Guess I can't leave Rana sleeping that much longer.

Also note there is a long segment of the archon quest that will do this as well. It's when you finish with Al and go back to see the festival. It took me maybe 2 hours? It's a lot of voiced dialog and cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I honestly would have preferred if that last portion were literally just all video. I put on yelan and sayu just to save time because it has you run back and forth a bunch of times.

Other than that, I did enjoy the sabzeruz festival