Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

An enhanced edition of SS2 was announced a long time ago so maybe it will happen?

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1160740078685057025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What do you mean, they spent (insert stupid amount of money here) on a .... Shodan cosplay??

https://twitter.com/SystemShockGame/status/1563134178127777795

:geno: I just watn this drat game already.

stupid, sexy shodan

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember MDK fondly.

I remember me and a high school friend getting really psyched when MDK was shown on The X-Files, because that’s just how loving 90s it was back then

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

An enhanced edition of SS2 was announced a long time ago so maybe it will happen?
Yeah, they've been posting stuff from it every now and then. They've been having the artist who did all the new models for the Quake remaster redo all of Looking Glass's terrible models to be less so. Pretty cool. Been a while since I saw updates though, but I put that down to Night Dive having a bad case of trying to balance too many plates.

Meanwhile! Mandalore completed his videos about the Marathon trilogy and g̵o̸e̸s̷ ̶f̴u̵t̶h̵e̶r̴ d̶͚̹͈̎ỏ̸̜̦̟͈̏̐̌͒ẃ̵̙̮͈͕̈̓͝n̴͙͑́̽̇ ̷̛͔͉͖̱̅t̴̺̒h̵̥̭̯͂͛e̴̪͉̳͔͆͊̏̑͒ ̵̢̨̳̳̙́̿̍͠r̸̨͇̝̻̓̔̿̓͑͒͠ͅa̸͍̭̝͋̽͂̉̊̐̓̀̚͝b̶̙̫̤̜̫͎̺̙̪̘̓̈́̅́̓͐ḇ̸͇̹̠͍̘̯͌̄͗̆͘͝i̶̱̐̏͂̋t̵͙̆͒͌ ̵̢̢͙̻͖͌̂̏h̴̘͔͚̹͒͛͗͜ơ̶̝̣͈̟̘̣͎͇̘̫͎̓̓̅̈̃̏̆̏l̵̩͍̫͇̥̯͕̬̹̟͚̈́͒̇e̴̜̣̘̙̤̥̎̑̎͂̏̾

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vurgeAkIxY

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY SHOTGUNS HE HAS, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON!

The thought that the original Halo games were just set-up leaves me with a deep existential dread that words cannot adequately describe.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

cover shooters probably wouldnt be as bad if the enemy ai had any sophistication at all and didnt just sit behind one piece of cover until you killed them via whack a mole

like imagine them having like FEAR ai, that would probably be really fun

The Rainbow Six Vegas games had the best cover mechanics. They were first person shooters where you could seamlessly enter cover by holding down a controller trigger or mouse button. Doing that would enter a 3rd person camera mode and moving in a direction would poke you out of that side of the cover you're behind. Letting go of the cover button put you back into first person mode. It was way better than the clunky bullshit Gears of War system that became the genre standard for no obvious reason.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

haveblue posted:

I remember me and a high school friend getting really psyched when MDK was shown on The X-Files, because that’s just how loving 90s it was back then

MDK and the first 5 seasons of the X-Files are some the acme of 90s achievements in my eyes.

Nightdive, MDK remaster when? (who owns MDK anyways?) edit: oh dear god it's Amazon

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ponzicar posted:

The Rainbow Six Vegas games had the best cover mechanics. They were first person shooters where you could seamlessly enter cover by holding down a controller trigger or mouse button. Doing that would enter a 3rd person camera mode and moving in a direction would poke you out of that side of the cover you're behind. Letting go of the cover button put you back into first person mode. It was way better than the clunky bullshit Gears of War system that became the genre standard for no obvious reason.

Eh, there have been solid evolutions of that formula... that also haven't caught on.

The Tomb Raider series (yes, I'm not joking) is one of the few titles where it largely pulls off a natural cover system.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry_Ed posted:

The best Third-Person shooter is Winback

Yooooo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Max Payne 3 would be best if it wasn't 85% cutscenes :colbert:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OW! ...Dangit!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

OW! ...Dangit!

"Are y'all with the nazis?"

"We're not nazis, we're just concerned citizens that-"

"This is the place"

*revs chainsaw*

manero
Jan 30, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

OW! ...Dangit!

PRO PAIN

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any people ITT using a steam deck? I have one on the way and I mainly got one to play Doom mods :D

My deck arrived this week and the only game that causes stuttering and is generally unplayable is Blood Fresh Supply :argh:

Xcom 2 with all my stupid mods, Stellaris and Hades are all super smooth and very playable, but not stupid Blood

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

My deck arrived this week and the only game that causes stuttering and is generally unplayable is Blood Fresh Supply :argh:

Xcom 2 with all my stupid mods, Stellaris and Hades are all super smooth and very playable, but not stupid Blood

Might fix it if you overwrite sdl2.dll in the game install directory with the latest.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

spongeh posted:

Might fix it if you overwrite sdl2.dll in the game install directory with the latest.

Assuming it's the same problem as Doom64. Some weird issue with mouse polling rates in Linux causes it to stall when the mouse moved, that newer versions of SDL2 fix. Replacing the DLL should work as long as it's ABI compatible.
Worth noting that just dropping that in typically broke vibration without any code changes on the game side (which we needed for Doom64), but I don't think we used that in Blood anyway.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 27, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

manero posted:

PRO PAIN

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Baron von Eevl posted:

GTA 5 is a cover shooter.
escape from tarkov is a cover shooter :hmmyes:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

manero posted:

PRO PAIN

lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocket Pan posted:

Assuming it's the same problem as Doom64. Some weird issue with mouse polling rates in Linux causes it to stall when the mouse moved, that newer versions of SDL2 fix. Replacing the DLL should work as long as it's ABI compatible.
Is an update in the cards for that, or no because of publisher issues?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

PRO PAIN

Man, I want a Doomer Boards Project map set that takes this and runs with it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is an update in the cards for that, or no because of publisher issues?

It's complicated but I've been pushing to get us depot access back. It's not impossible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

manero posted:

PRO PAIN

thread title

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
is there a way to actually bind individual weapons to specific keys in hedon rather than this 'multiple weapons to each key you need to cycle through' poo poo

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean it's a good cover shooter from what I've played of the N64 game

Dunno how I feel about the entire game being on an invisible timer, but, eh, growing pains for the genre I guess

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

spongeh posted:

Rocket Pan posted:

Worth noting that just dropping that in typically broke vibration without any code changes on the game side (which we needed for Doom64), but I don't think we used that in Blood anyway.

Great, thanks. Will give it a go a bit later today and report back.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

It's complicated but I've been pushing to get us depot access back. It's not impossible.

It would be very funny for the depot to sit untouched for 3 years until an incredibly expensive limited edition physical release comes out, then give the game a final update :v:

Also while we're on the topic, I really love being able to play Blood without getting randomly squashed by Build engine quirks. That and Made to Order difficulty really seal the deal tbh. Whoever came up with the latter should get a loving parade

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The key things are ramping up enemy count and reducing enemy hitscan accuracy. Adding more enemies just outright makes combat encounters more fun, bloody and explosive and nerfing hitscanners helps dampen the ludicrous difficulty spike that increasing enemy count usually causes. Makes me want to see a reworked difficulty system, Made to Order is awesome but IMO it makes the game so much better that it should be the default. Only Blood nerds know what anything in the menu means, anyone new is going to pick Lightly Broiled and have a worse time.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 27, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My most recent attempt at playing Blood ended up just being pure frustration, even on the absolute easiest possible Made To Order settings and it's not so much the enemies themselves(though Blood enemies are damage sponges that hit like trucks even by Build Engine standard even at their wimpiest) that are causing this as it is just how lacking in resources the first couple of levels are

Which funny enough is very similar to the issues I have with Half Life 1/Black Mesa where ammo is so scarce early on that the game all but demands that you have to crowbar the majority of enemies you encounter(which is probably why like 85% of the enemy encounters in the early chapters are Headcrabs and Headcrab Zombies with most of that remaining 15% being Barnacles) until the Military enemies start showing up, which then leads into the other area where one can compare HL1 and Blood, the military enemies have to be some of the most obnoxious hitscanner enemies in the history of the genre that don't have an instant death attack, as influential as HL1 is to the genre I don't think it's aged very well as a game that's fun to play

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

...unless System Shock 3 is also finally going to be a thing, why would you bother making a SHODAN android?

Roboobs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

My most recent attempt at playing Blood ended up just being pure frustration, even on the absolute easiest possible Made To Order settings and it's not so much the enemies themselves(though Blood enemies are damage sponges that hit like trucks even by Build Engine standard even at their wimpiest) that are causing this as it is just how lacking in resources the first couple of levels are

Which funny enough is very similar to the issues I have with Half Life 1/Black Mesa where ammo is so scarce early on that the game all but demands that you have to crowbar the majority of enemies you encounter(which is probably why like 85% of the enemy encounters in the early chapters are Headcrabs and Headcrab Zombies with most of that remaining 15% being Barnacles) until the Military enemies start showing up, which then leads into the other area where one can compare HL1 and Blood, the military enemies have to be some of the most obnoxious hitscanner enemies in the history of the genre that don't have an instant death attack, as influential as HL1 is to the genre I don't think it's aged very well as a game that's fun to play

Blood's earlier levels are way easier once you start aggressively using dynamite from the start. Try to focus on getting the explosion as close to the enemy's feet as possible.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Having watched Civvie's videos on the build games before playing them spoiled the secret locations but knowing about them in the earlier levels makes things go a bit smoother.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

Blood's earlier levels are way easier once you start aggressively using dynamite from the start. Try to focus on getting the explosion as close to the enemy's feet as possible.
Yeah, forget shotguns, Blood's bread and butter weapon is the dynamite. I guess it's harder to recognize on custom difficulty settings since on the regular ones abusing it is often the only way to survive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Prodeus was just included in a sizzle reel of "Day 1 on Gamepass" titles from Humble Games, and all of the other games in the video have confirmed 2022 release dates, so I would take that as a sort of implied confirmation that Prodeus 1.0 is happening this year

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't know about the difference in voxel render modes in GZDoom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aVt77epQ4

Have anyone tested the performance, just for curiosity? What happens when you have 200 enemies on screen?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean it's a good cover shooter from what I've played of the N64 game

Dunno how I feel about the entire game being on an invisible timer, but, eh, growing pains for the genre I guess

The timer is extremely generous, I beat it with time to spare on my first attempt

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Is there any way to pistol start in Prodeus?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I didn't know about the difference in voxel render modes in GZDoom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aVt77epQ4

Have anyone tested the performance, just for curiosity? What happens when you have 200 enemies on screen?

I can't speak for 200 enemies worth of voxel things on-screen, but I did a quick runthrough of E1+the Romero versions of M4 and M8 using Voxel Doom (latest version of GZDoom, Vulkan renderer, 1440p resolution on a computer with a 3900X and 3070 hooked up). Everything ran smooth as butter at 144hz, and never dipped below 142 fps for me as far as I saw, even with a lot of carnage on-screen (ignore the fps meter in the corner saying otherwise; that's just a side effect of me taking a screenshot):

I might have to try something like No End In Sight or ConCERNed with Voxel Doom just to see how hard things really get pushed, but so far so good on my machine.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

It's been ages since I played Blood, but in Half-Life at least I don't remember ammo ever being a problem except right at the start of "Residue Processing" just after you've lost all your weapons; it's very generous with ammunition even at the very start of the game.

NuclearPotato posted:

I might have to try something like No End In Sight or ConCERNed with Voxel Doom just to see how hard things really get pushed, but so far so good on my machine.

Okuplok :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hgrunts in hl1/black mesa are very fun to fight

certainly much more fun than blood cultists, even of you don't like them