Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

My interest is that they are very quiet, energy efficient with crazy battery life, and have plenty of performance for most people and it seems like nothing in the PC world can touch them for the foreseeable future in this category.

Ehh, the gap between an M2 MacBook Air and the current gen ultrabooks is basically nonexistent now. It is a lot more energy efficient so doesn't need a fan is about all. Maybe gets an hour or two more battery life.

The fact that they've pulled off a consumer grade, powerful ARM laptop is really cool but practically there's not a huge deal of difference anymore. The price point was the amazing thing about the M1 MBA and they've jacked up the price on the M2 so that's not even really the case anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What ultrabook has the battery life of a Macbook Air?

Mu Zeta posted:

My interest is that they are very quiet, energy efficient with crazy battery life, and have plenty of performance for most people and it seems like nothing in the PC world can touch them for the foreseeable future in this category.

I mean I agree but you can get one by getting a macbook, you don't need to wait for a competitor.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 26, 2022

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lockback posted:

ThinkPad Z13 is pretty competitive by all accounts

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
What are the most significant differences between the different 2-in-1s out there? Being able to swap between a laptop and tablet sounds awesome, and really expand how much I can do on one without the hassle of seperate devices. Any obvious drawbacks besides typically smaller SSDs, manufacturers charging a premium for more storage, iGPU only, poorer battery life compared to dedicated tablet?

HP has a 16" 2-in-1 out with an Intel Arc in it lol. Also when did they stop making non-Gamer laptops with GPUs? I feel like mine must have been right near the end of that. Forget annoying backlights and excessive branding - those terrible fonts they choose for the keyboard legends are a dealbreaker for me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

What are the most significant differences between the different 2-in-1s out there?

Build quality, weight, screen quality, pen support.

There are some 2 in 1s that have a 3050 or 3050 Ti built in, but they're all $1k+

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
If I go the 2-in-1 route I'm not worried about getting a GPU. Just having something I can flip over and jot ideas or sketches down with a stylus seems like it'd be really useful, while still being powerful enough to run my DJ software and have an actual keyboard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

If I go the 2-in-1 route I'm not worried about getting a GPU. Just having something I can flip over and jot ideas or sketches down with a stylus seems like it'd be really useful, while still being powerful enough to run my DJ software and have an actual keyboard.

I grew fond of the form-factor with my old 11" Acer Chromebook, and recently picked up an HP Envy 15.6" Windows 2-in-1 to replace it, and the main thing I'm realizing is that it is a little big to comfortably use as a tablet while sitting on the toilet and such. It's a beast otherwise, and I was playing AAA games on it while housesitting this week using GeForce Now since it doesn't have a very powerful iGPU. It was kind of trippy playing Far Cry 6 on it using an external monitor and getting really decent 1080p performance while the laptop itself remained completely silent.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Lockback posted:

I mean I agree but you can get one by getting a macbook, you don't need to wait for a competitor.

The battery life is about more than just the soc; apple controls and thus can optimize every piece of hardware in their machines, and also writes the operating system.

You aren't going to get an alternative that can touch that, regardless of soc.

6800u can hang pretty nicely in terms of efficiency though, especially given the node disadvantage. I wish somebody cared about making fanless laptops other than apple anymore; a fanless 6800u laptop pulling 9ish watts would be awesome.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I grew fond of the form-factor with my old 11" Acer Chromebook, and recently picked up an HP Envy 15.6" Windows 2-in-1 to replace it, and the main thing I'm realizing is that it is a little big to comfortably use as a tablet while sitting on the toilet and such. It's a beast otherwise, and I was playing AAA games on it while housesitting this week using GeForce Now since it doesn't have a very powerful iGPU. It was kind of trippy playing Far Cry 6 on it using an external monitor and getting really decent 1080p performance while the laptop itself remained completely silent.

My current laptop is 15.6" and I can't imagine using that as a tablet. 13" seems alright, maybe 12". I'm considering building a desktop at home for gaming, 3d modeling, and maybe WFH, and using the 2-in-1 for DJing, making beats, drawing & taking notes. I might be heading back to school next year and I'd like to try to use it as a tool to help keep organized & keep track of all my random ideas. I figure for games, as long as I can run stuff like Monster Prom or Dorfromantik, I'll be good.

My DJ app, rekordbox, works best with a decent i5 and at least 8gb of RAM. Plus even with a 512mb SSD, my music collection is gonna make storage tight. The new Surface Pro 8 can upgrade the SSD super easy, which is dope, cuz holy heck do they charge way too much to upgrade from the vendor. They also hella expensive, but maybe they'll come down to something justifiable in a year or so. And of course my rear end was watching youtube videos on how to do the upgrade yourself on older models. Which, if you've seen how I been dealing with my current laptop, is certainly a Choice

Geez, I think I just wrote out a 'what laptop should I buy post', but really I was originally just wondering about significant design trends and usability, and if there were any established makes that usually get recommended. I read that Samsung goes in on their own ecosystem with theirs. And Microsoft sells their stylus for $180? Tell me it has haptic feedback. I'd consider $180 if had haptic feedback & could tell me bedtime stories.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got a stylus to go with my HP but haven't really played around with it yet. Adding another 8GB of RAM to the machine was surprisingly easy, and the only complaints I have are is it is indeed a bit big to use as a tablet most of the time, and it doesn't have a decent GPU, but I don't have very high demands for a laptop and this meets them well.

I'm actually considering getting a cheapish tablet to do my bathroom reading on, since that old Chromebook has hit EOL with updates, but while it was supported it was a helluva nice little machine. I guess part of me is also considering just getting an updated version of the Chromebook as well - I got such a deal on this HP 2-in-1 that even adding the price of a middling Chromebook 2-in-1 that my overall out of pocket would be about the same as the list price for the HP.

I use a desktop for my serious gaming, and as long as I am someplace with decent Internet and no data cap I can fall back on GeForce Now for gaming on my laptop.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VorpalFish posted:

The battery life is about more than just the soc; apple controls and thus can optimize every piece of hardware in their machines, and also writes the operating system.

You aren't going to get an alternative that can touch that, regardless of soc.

Not fanless, but really, take a look at how the ThinkPad Z13 actually stacks up. Notebookcheck has it at 979 min for H.264 playback vs a M2's 989 minutes, and 863 min for Wifi use vs the M2's 910. Within 5% runtime is pretty damned close in my book.

Admittedly the Z13 is using a 1080p screen vs a 2560x1664, but "can't touch that" is a bit of an overstatement.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Not fanless, but really, take a look at how the ThinkPad Z13 actually stacks up. Notebookcheck has it at 979 min for H.264 playback vs a M2's 989 minutes, and 863 min for Wifi use vs the M2's 910. Within 5% runtime is pretty damned close in my book.

Admittedly the Z13 is using a 1080p screen vs a 2560x1664, but "can't touch that" is a bit of an overstatement.

Better than I expected, but I'd argue the screen is probably pretty huge component; doesn't the z13 have a 1600p option? Be interesting to see that comparison.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Better than I expected, but I'd argue the screen is probably pretty huge component; doesn't the z13 have a 1600p option? Be interesting to see that comparison.

Yeah, it can have a 2880x1800 OLED and a 680M GPU, but I haven't seen actual real-world tests for either bit of hardware. Would be interesting to see how they change the battery life question, though, especially given that the 680M is roughly 30% faster than the 660M (which is the one everyone is testing). Adding both of those still gets you a laptop under $1900 (albeit with a 256GB SSD because gently caress you).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm giving serious consideration to the Z13 right now because I'm finally getting my money back from Lenovo and on sale. It's only available with 16gb RAM unfortunately, though that's probably enough, and it uses a weird form factor for the SSD which is really hard to find/tends to be really expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2242 is standard and fairly available at a premium of like 20-40 dollars for a 1TB drive. Doesn’t seem like much of an issue.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2242 is standard and fairly available at a premium of like 20-40 dollars for a 1TB drive. Doesn’t seem like much of an issue.

not in NZ :eng99: they're hard to find and are like $100-200 more than equivalent 2280 M.2 drives

I went ahead and ordered a ThinkPad Z13. It has a 512gb SSD anyway which will probably be plenty.

I went for the super gaudy black pleather with bronze trim one too just because

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Is anyone else annoyed that nobody made a competitor to the Apple M1/M2 chips yet

You mean a Chromebook, now that Google is also designing their own silicon?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You mean a Chromebook, now that Google is also designing their own silicon?

When they pop out a Chromebook with a GPU that isn't as laughable as anything starting with "Intel HD Graphics" then we can talk.

(Though I keep slowly cycling through Chromebooks for couch-computers because they're pretty drat great for that)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrDork posted:

When they pop out a Chromebook with a GPU that isn't as laughable as anything starting with "Intel HD Graphics" then we can talk.

(Though I keep slowly cycling through Chromebooks for couch-computers because they're pretty drat great for that)

That'd snowball into an entirely different kind of computer very quickly if you wanted to play games on a Chromebook, given that even nice Chromebooks ship with 64-128GB of disk and a single game is 70+GB now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

That'd snowball into an entirely different kind of computer very quickly if you wanted to play games on a Chromebook, given that even nice Chromebooks ship with 64-128GB of disk and a single game is 70+GB now.

A'yup. I don't disagree at all. Just saying that there hasn't been a Chromebook yet that reasonably competes with a M1/M2 on the performance front. A Chromebook with a higher-end AMD APU would be interesting, but I don't think anyone's particularly interested in giving it a go right now.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean at that point what is chrome os even bringing to the table, wouldn't you just be better off using windows or your Linux distro of choice?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AMD APUs are starting to launch on Chromebooks which will give them graphical punch above Intel integrated and Steam is a thing on Chromebooks now and should only get better as proton gets better.

As to why would you buy one? A whole lot less fiddling about with it vs Windows and especially Linux. I mean, sleep and standby resume as good as Macs, nothing really to maintain, and a desktop class browser is all 99% of most people need in a computer besides some casual gaming.

You just have to be sure it's priced right.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

AMD APUs are starting to launch on Chromebooks which will give them graphical punch above Intel integrated and Steam is a thing on Chromebooks now and should only get better as proton gets better.

As to why would you buy one? A whole lot less fiddling about with it vs Windows and especially Linux. I mean, sleep and standby resume as good as Macs, nothing really to maintain, and a desktop class browser is all 99% of most people need in a computer besides some casual gaming.

You just have to be sure it's priced right.

Idk running all your games through a compatibility layer doesn't sound less fiddly to me but :shrug:.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Might be different on a laptop, but I just switched to SteamOS Linux distro on my desktop and so far everything has been a seamless transition. I probably won’t go back to windows.

Also, finding a laptop without “dealbreakers” is drat near impossible at this time. Either there is nothing in stock, or there are major drawbacks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Idk running all your games through a compatibility layer doesn't sound less fiddly to me but :shrug:.

Getting Steam installed on ChromeOS is absolutely "fiddly" right now because it's an alpha version that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get.

But once it's a v1.0 product and you can just grab it from Google Play? Now it's not fiddly at all and you just click butan and play, and IIRC the games are run on a virtualized linux kernel, so it's likely quite a bit closer to "native" in terms of translation than something like Rosetta on Mac.

Windows will still hold the crown for gaming, of course, but it'd be a nice bonus for Chromebooks to be able to tap into Steam.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Might be different on a laptop, but I just switched to SteamOS Linux distro on my desktop and so far everything has been a seamless transition. I probably won’t go back to windows.

Also, finding a laptop without “dealbreakers” is drat near impossible at this time. Either there is nothing in stock, or there are major drawbacks.

I've been running Linux as my daily driver for probably a year now, first kubuntu and now fedora, gaming is definitely decent and overall I'm very happy and not going back. But if someone tells me their use case is games and their priority is "not fiddly," I'm pushing windows, not ChromeOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my experience with the Steamdeck so far makes me think Steam is going to rock on Chromebooks once it gets out of Alpha and Beta. Both Steamdeck and ChromeOS are integral in their plans to break the Windows stranglehold on gaming.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My problem with ChromeOS is that it's a little too "simple" for me. I hate using my Duet while cooking because there's no way to change the amount of time before the screensaver activates, so I'm constantly having to re-type my password to get back to the recipe. Seriously? Does Google think ChromeOS users can't handle a setting with multiple options?

Just that one non-customizable setting means that ChromeOS is forever off the table as a daily driver for me, and I know that there's going to be a ton of annoying poo poo like that for someone who's willing to edit the Windows registry or about::preferences to tweak things. Needing to tweak the registry sucks, but it's still better than having those issues and being able to do nothing about them.

It's fine if i just want to browse the web or Discord while watching TV.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Fairly broad requirements, but I was looking for a laptop that would be under $2000, 15ish inch display, able to play modernish games, i9 processor would be good. Lenovo would be a good brand, in my experience. I had some ideas, but I wanted to know if there's any clear ideal laptops for that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sounds like you're describing the Legion 5i gen 7 :)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you're going to mostly have it sitting on a desk, get a Legion. If you need portability, get a Lenovo Slim 7i or Legion Slim 7i (yes, Lenovo's naming is stupid and confusing)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bike tory posted:

Sounds like you're describing the Legion 5i gen 7 :)

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah they just refreshed it with the 12th gen Intel proc and 3070 Ti. Walmart has 'em for $1600+tax if you're in the United States.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...00TUS/942208519

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

New laptop smell is pretty sweet. Snagged a P14s on July 4th sale and very happy with the build quality. These new intels do run hot though an old XPS13 is no better. The 16:10 aspect ratio feels funny when you pop the lid while actual workflow is same same with high resolution.

Was considering something with a 3050 but at the end of the day this T550 is surprisingly capable and if I really want to immerse myself in a game on a larger screen as a desktop replacement while traveling I am going to need an eGPU anyway.

joeshmoetogo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 29, 2022

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Looking for a decent 1080p gaming laptop that'll basically stay at my desk 99.9% of the time and this seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295150851987

I'm not in a big rush or anything and can maybe wait until Black Friday but could I expect deals substantially better then? Kind of leaning towards just pulling the trigger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hmmxkrazee posted:

Looking for a decent 1080p gaming laptop that'll basically stay at my desk 99.9% of the time and this seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295150851987

I'm not in a big rush or anything and can maybe wait until Black Friday but could I expect deals substantially better then? Kind of leaning towards just pulling the trigger.

You can get the updated one with a 12th gen intel for $100 more, may or may not be worthwhile
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6499110

But yes, your link or this one is a very very good deal and a good bet for "Laptop that I don't really bring around much". Gigabyte doesn't have the best thermals and a 3070 runs hot, so depending on your room and desk material you might find a cooling pad or laptop stand that has good cooling properties worthwhile. I'd guess you'd probably sometimes hit thermal limits now and then either way.

A Legion would probably be the step up in terms of build quality and better thermals, but then you're probably paying an extra $300+ even if you find a sale.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Lockback posted:

You can get the updated one with a 12th gen intel for $100 more, may or may not be worthwhile
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6499110

But yes, your link or this one is a very very good deal and a good bet for "Laptop that I don't really bring around much". Gigabyte doesn't have the best thermals and a 3070 runs hot, so depending on your room and desk material you might find a cooling pad or laptop stand that has good cooling properties worthwhile. I'd guess you'd probably sometimes hit thermal limits now and then either way.

A Legion would probably be the step up in terms of build quality and better thermals, but then you're probably paying an extra $300+ even if you find a sale.

Ooh, thanks for that. Looks like it's a pretty decent improvement with the 12th gen so may spring for that.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 29, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just sold our house and got a housewarming laptop

And despite the steep price, I really like the functionality. I like the 2nd screen and its incredibly functional on the road, and despite being a 16 inch laptop, it fits in anything a 15 inch laptop will, and isn't much thicker than the standard Asus as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 30, 2022

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I would have loved those tiny far away screens 20 years ago when my eyes weren't old. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CommieGIR posted:

Just sold our house and got a housewarming laptop

And despite the steep price, I really like the functionality. I like the 2nd screen and its incredibly functional on the road, and despite being a 16 inch laptop, it fits in anything a 15 inch laptop will, and isn't much thicker than the standard Asus as well.

Love it. As somebody who always has something streaming on a second monitor and my Plex library playing on a TV in the background for some goddamned reason, I'm infatuated by the ability to take my depraved habit on the road with me wherever I go.