Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Moose posted:

this

This thing has 3 goddamn ways to gotcha your opponent, for 1 mana

Also, Homarid

yeah this is really efficient but is it top common potential? it could be if theres enough stuff worth protecting

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Benalish Sleeper is an interesting riff on the effect by making it optional, and one of the few kicker cards in this set worth the cmc kicked or unkicked. Yavimaya Steelcrusher is a straight upgrade to Torch Fiend and Reckless Reveler, having 1 more toughness, a colorless sacrifice cost, and Enlist. Shadow Prophecy comes drat close to something between Dig Through Time and Fact or Fiction with full domain. Smash to Dust is a bad Abrade but having two very different types of removal as modes on a single card is always worth consideration. Shield-Wall Sentinel is a weird creature tutor but a unique one. Shore Up untaps the creature which is new for the cheap hexproof spell.

On the more Melvin side, Haunting Figment is the first blue creature with Vigilance since Planar Chaos, the deliberate out-of-color-things set, which is an interesting development in giving blue creatures keywords besides flying and ward. Samite Herbalist is just a charming design, working both when attacking or being enlisted but without spelling either out.

these all look like playable but none of them strike me as first pick material. im thinking this set is going to be pretty heavy on the synergies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A Moose posted:

this

Also, Homarid

This is silly good, nearly enough to make me attempt a Jeskai build of the Heroic deck in Pioneer.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oi gently caress off then wotc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly gonna be pissed off if an actual homarid doesnt show up

Love the lobster boys

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A Moose posted:

this

Also, Homarid

Lookin real jacked baby obv been working hard on back day. All it needs is Duke sunglasses coming down. :dukedog:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The "is any common worth playing" question made me look at all of them and I made an effortpost in the arena thread. More people there talk about Limited, so I figured it would be better suited for there. I wasn't even sure what format the question applied to itt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

hell yeah. what recipe are you using? complicated to make?

It's the recepie on the back of the bag of ladyfingers. I didn't think it was all that complicated, it's mostly "mix this, chill it, and add it again later" but it also called for two cups of coffee and I didn't have any do I added more liquor instead and I think this was a mistake. I'll have more to say in five hours when it's done chilling for the final time

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Greg Feely was just learning Photoshop. He had to learn his way around the onscreen menu somehow.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

It's the recepie on the back of the bag of ladyfingers. I didn't think it was all that complicated, it's mostly "mix this, chill it, and add it again later" but it also called for two cups of coffee and I didn't have any do I added more liquor instead and I think this was a mistake. I'll have more to say in five hours when it's done chilling for the final time

That sounds like a good mistake tbh

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want like 30 of those insect tokens to go with Nest of Scarabs for my Hapatra edh deck

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honestly gonna be pissed off if an actual homarid doesnt show up

Love the lobster boys

Algid posted:

Just noticed this dude riding his war-leech:

Homarids are doing their part.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Lol

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1563398612209770498?s=20&t=_v6ahZC31X_59aYITkxIVw
Cool to see the more finalized design of Sagas after Garfield's initial ones

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if they go this far back to get Greensleeves we might as well get Karli too

Oh poo poo there actually is a Greensleeves card, I missed it

https://twitter.com/MTGHistory/status/1563592409573109765

commander though...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Are there any other commanders who have shown their entire rear end like this?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Probably on DeviantArt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh poo poo there actually is a Greensleeves card, I missed it

https://twitter.com/MTGHistory/status/1563592409573109765

commander though...

an battle

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

That's actually the proper way to say it if you're speaking in a dialect where the B is silent.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Alas an battle you do me wrong to badger me discourteously

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Perfect

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like someone isn't with the times regarding all the commanders who are on OnlyFans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pyrolocutus posted:

Looks like someone isn't with the times regarding all the commanders who are on OnlyFans.

I think for a maro-sorcerer asking for the twig and berries is different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Askrias is doing early collector unboxings again before anyone else, similar to what he did with DM2022, and boy, they really need to cut down on the variants in these things. there's what, 2-3 versions of some cards, and then foil, etched foil, AND stained glass foil versions of them to boot? it's ridiculous. don't like the frequency of commander poo poo in there too, especially taking up the last slot for the full art foil. he tries and fails to neatly categorize everything to keep it all on-camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS6QE4Y6YG0&hd=1

second video, he gets a Legends card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTEx6btHAws&hd=1

and the rest I've not watched:
three
four
five

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if he bought bigger anime playmats he'd have more room for the cards

is this a pro player or someone generally known? their channel has really low views in general so idk why he's specifically being posted

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've been out of the scene for a decade. Before which, I was also out of the scene for over a decade. However, saw some AI generated cards on twitter (THANKS TWITTER), and learned people are making full proxy cubes using MPC, which something I really wanted to do for a long time many years ago without spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. So, about $250 later, I've got myself a full powered Vintage cube (the same one they use on MTGO) of high quality proxies all sleeved up with a nice box, and some playsets of duals/shocks/etc on top of it all.

It is probably rather rare that I will get to host a cube draft with friends. If I were to start playing Standard (or Pioneer, which wasn't around last time I was) again, I probably would buy actual product to build playsets for some decks, but I only see myself proxying stuff from Modern/Legacy/Vintage for the foreseeable future since it is just completely inaccessible price wise. I would like to possibly build some proxy Modern decks or just playsets of staples if I make another order, so I can play with random people in my circle and not have to borrow decks. What are everyone's favorite deck lists, and or lists of must-have playset stuff for modern?

What the hell format is even most popular these days?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BabyRyoga posted:

it really depends on where you're playing. virtually on arena/mtgo/elsewhere, playing on webcam with others, or getting to play paper in person are all different environments with a variety of popularities

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

maybe if he bought bigger anime playmats he'd have more room for the cards

is this a pro player or someone generally known? their channel has really low views in general so idk why he's specifically being posted
nah, he's someone who runs an LGS who has posted unboxing videos before anyone else for previous sets, that's why.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

flatluigi posted:

it really depends on where you're playing. virtually on arena/mtgo/elsewhere, playing on webcam with others, or getting to play paper in person are all different environments with a variety of popularities

Probably in person with friends (at parties, gatherings etc) or online on discord if people do that. I would feel pretty awkward stepping into local gaming stores or swapmeets/public gathering hotspots with nothing but proxy decks. I'm sure it would piss some people off, as there tend to be a wide variety of colorful people who play MTG with all kinds of opinions on many things.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There are places that run proxy friendly events, but they can be pretty rare. If you're messing around with just your friends then chat with them and experiment to find whatever format makes you happy.

Online, cockatrice is alright if you want to play for free? There are free modern/leg tournaments on it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
my store used to run proxy friendly legacy and vintage events, but stopped when they got WPN cert because you can't run big tournaments (store champ/RCQ level) while running proxy events. luckily my store has a bunch of people with extra decks who are happy to loan you one for an event

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Captain Invictus posted:

Askrias is doing early collector unboxings again before anyone else, similar to what he did with DM2022, and boy, they really need to cut down on the variants in these things. there's what, 2-3 versions of some cards, and then foil, etched foil, AND stained glass foil versions of them to boot? it's ridiculous. don't like the frequency of commander poo poo in there too, especially taking up the last slot for the full art foil. he tries and fails to neatly categorize everything to keep it all on-camera.

Most cards only have 1 variant, with some cards, most specifically "Ajana, Sleeper Agent" having several variations
It has the Regular card, then "Traditional Foil" of that regular card, a "Showcase" variant that they called "Compleated" (at least TCGPlayer does) since it's not a Stained-Glass version, a "Phyrexian" variant, a Borderless variant and then a "Compleated Borderless" variant. The Compleated and Phyrexian versions have the same art while "Compleated Borderless" has completely new art.

Otherwise the variants are only different for the types of cards

Mythic Planeswalkers and Rare Lands get a "Borderless" treatment. Typical for Standard Sets
They made Legendary cards in the Commander Set have the "Foil Etched" variant.
All Legendary Creatures at Uncommon or higher have just the Showcase (Stained Glass) and Textured Foil (Stained Glass... with Texture?) variants. But Textured Foil only comes 1 in a box. It technically is the same card but it has its own card number.

Any other cards in the main set that are not Legendary types have an Extended Art version.

The dumbest thing about Collector Boxes is that there is one slot reserved for Uncommon Legends Retold at the Uncommon level: There's only 5 unique cards that you can pull (along with their Foil Etched variant). Literally just the same 5 cards over and over again in that slot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's one textured foil per pack, not per box.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ooops, wrote that out as Trad Foil Stained Glass on my spreadsheet so I thought Textured was limited to 1 per box. Thanks. Gonna update that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Commander

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Don't most rares from DMU have 2 variants? Stained glass and borderless

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

That sounds like a good mistake tbh

Cake update: It was indeed terrible. My wife hates coffee and I shouldn't eat a whole Tiramisu by myself so I was trying to replace the coffee with bitter chocolate (hence the liquor). But it came out inedible and had to be dispossed of.

So I did it again, this time replacing the coffee with chocolate milk. Much better. Would describe as success. Thank you, thread, for your support.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Place your bets, what’s the big commander announcement going to be today? Context:

https://twitter.com/mtgcommander/status/1562802781651894272?s=21&t=6JMctdUxVOV4xBNuvphwxw

I hope they don’t ban anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fadam posted:

Place your bets, what’s the big commander announcement going to be today? Context:

https://twitter.com/mtgcommander/status/1562802781651894272?s=21&t=6JMctdUxVOV4xBNuvphwxw

I hope they don’t ban anything.

I hope they ban Oracle