Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thinking of popping over to the SF pen show later today. Maybe I'll see Kessel and ask him about Guild Wars again :buddy: And those Musubi notebook covers :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I'm at the show today and tomorrow and picked up one of those Musubi journals. Fortunately I was able to check out the great covers at open but drat, they were gone by the time I decided I was gonna do it.

I realize I'm just a random thread popper in but I picked up my first Pilot years ago because of this thread and got a friend into it - who went down the rabbit hole hard. If you see a guy with a GoPro on his hat that's me - I'm recording this for him since it's his first convention and his 40th bday celebration. Say hi!

Frequent Handies fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 26, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kessel encountered. Came away with a grid notebook of the new Tomoe River Sanzen paper, plus a stealth Vanishing Point LS :toot:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I think this was my first time going to the SF Pen Show that I didn’t buy anything! I thought I might pick up a new bottle of ink or two, and an outside chance that I fall in love with a pen, but the more I saw the more I felt content with what I already have. I didn’t even hit up the ink sample stations. What is happening to me?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Diamine Black Ivy is blue in the bottle, and is still blue when first laid down. When dry it’s a lovely green as the name implies. It’s like a magic a trick and I enjoy writing with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Same Great Paste posted:

Diamine Black Ivy is blue in the bottle, and is still blue when first laid down. When dry it’s a lovely green as the name implies. It’s like a magic a trick and I enjoy writing with it.

This isn't rare for Blue-Black inks. Parker Blue-Black does the it.

The real pain is finding a good Blue-Black that maintains that color on the page after a few days.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

This isn't rare for Blue-Black inks. Parker Blue-Black does the it.

The real pain is finding a good Blue-Black that maintains that color on the page after a few days.

iroshizuku shin-kai

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Delta's back! With a bizarre feature!

It has a blind cap on the end that contains a two gram weight. The idea is that you can choose to have the balance nib-forward or back heavy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Chip McFuck posted:

It has a blind cap on the end that contains a two gram weight. The idea is that you can choose to have the balance nib-forward or back heavy.

I love it. I wish more pen makers spent as much time on functionality like this as they do on aesthetics.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

It's interesting, but not $1300US interesting.

Also, they talk about the amazing rare celluloid being used in the pen but I have another Delta with the exact same material

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Also, they talk about the amazing rare celluloid being used in the pen but I have another Delta with the exact same material

lmao

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oops

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's fine

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

From the side it looks likes one of those posting nib Pilot makes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The owner swears he didn't drop the pen, but I'm not sure I believe it.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I've done similar things to pens by tapping them too hard against the paper. Ruined a wing sun demonstrator's nib that way.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

The owner swears he didn't drop the pen, but I'm not sure I believe it.

His kid might have done it when handling the pen without permission and did not tell dad. As someone with kids and who was a kid, they do that kind of poo poo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

His kid might have done it when handling the pen without permission and did not tell dad. As someone with kids and who was a kid, they do that kind of poo poo.

True

but I have never met someone with a fountain pen until I held my own by accident and it's all downhill from there

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Went to the Orlando Pen Show today. Nice turn out from vendors and attendees for the show, especially considering it was the first time for the show. Not a bad location as well. Didn’t pick up much, just a pen sleeve and some post cards.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

I tried Robert Oster Fire and Ice in a Safari with converter and could not make it work at all. Just scribbling the ink would make maybe half inch lines and then stop until a pick up and joggle. I have no idea what went wrong. Things I know for sure I’d previously used the same safari and converter with a different ink and it was great. Then I rinsed out the same pen and just a cartridge works great. Still have 30 samples to get through so I’m not fussed about making this one work.

Posting to get perspective. Is this common? I’ve done four converter loads of three different inks so far and this is the only hitch I’ve seen. I recall at least one recent conversation here about trying to dilute a trouble ink. I assume it’s usually all plug and play, no?

Posting to correct myself in case it helps anyone else. At the time I hadn’t understood about air bubbles and converters. I guess I thought they were magic or something. Learning to tap and twist/burp it solves everything.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Needed to grab some stuff from the university bookstore, found out all their fountain pen stuff was 50% off. Couldn't decide on which size to get so I got all of them. I got the two inks I was most interested in, but I might go back and pick up some others.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

When it comes to Monteverde; California Teal, Ruby and Sapphire are the business.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When filling my syringe with the emerald green it pulled up a small glob of gunk. Now I've learned that mold and bacteria is a thing to worry about with ink, and that Monteverde had issues with it a couple years ago. I'm wondering if the sale was because it's old stock that nobody's touched since the campus shut down for the pandemic. Both bottles were in those boxes, but only the black had a plastic seal around the lid and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. The black doesn't seem to have anything like that, and I made sure to disinfect everything before filling a different pen with it. Hopefully I can exchange it at the store, but if not it seems like it's a known issue that Monteverde will fix if you contact them.

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends
Any idea which pen Charles III is using?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyl...R4QZSXBEXO6DYA/

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Someone on /r/fountainpens mentioned that it was a Montblanc Solitaire. He used a Pilot V-Pen during his coronation.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So uh, I decided to start journaling/creative writing/etc over the last few years. I really only made it a consistent thing in my life this year. At some point in the recent months I grabbed my girlfriend’s LAMY Safari F and well, I’m so hooked that I spend like two hours a day reading about and looking at fountain pens. They’re the best. I can’t get enough.

I want to try something else and get a little deeper. I’m sticking with my Waterman Serenity Blue ink for now but I’m thinking of trying a Pilot Kakuno. Probably with an F nib. The design of the clear model is aesthetically 10/10 and it looks comfortable. Trying out a Japanese F nib seems interesting too. I know they’re much smaller but hopefully still smooth on the paper. I’ll never know what I prefer until I try things.

I’m also planning on grabbing a syringe from jetpens, some pilot cartridges, and a few empty vials so I can save what’s in the cartridges before I swap in the Serenity Blue. I know I could grab the CON-70 but refilling carts seems interesting to me. Hilariously enough I hate needles/syringes so maybe this will be some good exposure therapy too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I got worried about keeping syringes in close proximity to myself until I found out that they're blunt-tip and much safer than the two needles I get punctured with for platelet donations

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends

Abyss posted:

Someone on /r/fountainpens mentioned that it was a Montblanc Solitaire. He used a Pilot V-Pen during his coronation.

Thanks for the likely answer

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

If that's how mad he gets by ink leaking, we really need to bribe one of his staff to start telling him that Baystate Blue is the most regal and kingly ink there is.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Abyss posted:

He used a Pilot V-Pen during his coronation.

The post-Brexit economy must be going fantastically well if the king has to use a cheapo $3 pen to sign the proclamation of accession.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shouldn't he be using a Parker?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FFT posted:

Shouldn't he be using a Parker?

C/O Newell Rubbermaid UK Services Ltd

:lol:

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

The post-Brexit economy must be going fantastically well if the king has to use a cheapo $3 pen to sign the proclamation of accession.

I think the reason for this was because it would write without any problems. If anything is going to write the first time, every time it's a Pilot Varsity. Even in the most ideal circumstances, you probably can't rely on any given Parker or otherwise to not hard start or act up unless you had someone specifically be the keeper of the pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This was me just now with a Pilot Custom 743 filled with Bad Belted Kingfisher (it was included in a random sample grab bag that I got) that had a badly seated nib. Dumped ink everywhere.

gschmidl posted:

C/O Newell Rubbermaid UK Services Ltd

:lol:

They also own Waterman, Sharpie and PaperMate for some reason.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

Wasn't it that he used his own Montblanc and then everyone else who signed the same document used the Pilots?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

They also own Waterman, Sharpie and PaperMate for some reason.

And Rotring!

Newell Rubbermaid acquired Parker, Waterman and Paper Mate from Gillette, of all companies.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Abyss posted:

unless you had someone specifically be the keeper of the pens.

You mean you haven’t heard of the Lord Pensman Nibmaster Master-at-pens of the Privy Chamber?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

grack posted:

And Rotring!

Newell Rubbermaid acquired Parker, Waterman and Paper Mate from Gillette, of all companies.

Rotring pens and pencils just hit all of my neurons just right. Perfect.

Aventine
Feb 15, 2022

I will bleed black and yellow till the death of all eve servers
Reading this thread over the past few months convinced me to buy a Pilot VP after being on the fence for some time. Its fantastic and i only wish I had gotten it sooner. Its super smooth, easy to refill and looks great to boot.

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Aventine posted:

Reading this thread over the past few months convinced me to buy a Pilot VP after being on the fence for some time. Its fantastic and i only wish I had gotten it sooner. Its super smooth, easy to refill and looks great to boot.

Thanks guys!

How are you refilling it? Do you have a piston or is it just a cartridge and a syringe?

I have the latter and I like it but all my other pens use a piston or other converter.