Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Xealot posted:

Soldier Boy basically IS the Comedian to begin with, yeah. The fact they played father and son on a show by the same showrunner just adds to the muddled associations.

Huh, I'd never thought of him like that, but it makes a lot of sense. Who would have thought Peacemaker would have had such a revival in recent years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JDM in flashbacks as Soldier Boy's rich daddy would be a helluva fanservice, but probably not the best use for a guy who can chew the gently caress out of scenery.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hughie gonna find out how Annie joined The Seven!

Well, the TV version of it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe we should leave out weird predictions based on comics after how creepy the herogasm predictions went

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ugh garth ennis loving sucks so much, just a gross little worm. The less of his ideas that make it in, the better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe we should leave out weird predictions based on comics after how creepy the herogasm predictions went

I love how herogasm went from an extremely stupid concept about maintaining control over the supes to a sad swingers party for d-listers.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah the siblings in charge of it were the right amount of gross for people who’d actually run that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Khanstant posted:

ugh garth ennis loving sucks so much, just a gross little worm. The less of his ideas that make it in, the better.

I'll mostly stick up for Ennis - when he's good he's very good, after all - but I flicked through the new book he put out this week and it's downright bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've seen or read more of his stuff than of most people I'd likewise call gross little worms. There is a nugget of something interesting in them, right up until he whips his dick out and gets hard abusing characters in a gross, artless way, that artful people will have to do some heavy reconstruction to make meaningful beyond surface level shock and ennis-arrousal.

I'm just glad there are people who can pick the corn out of his turds and make cornbread.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't want this cornbread anymore

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Every once in a while I remember Brave Maeve's Systemically Oppressed Tacos and have a good laugh

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Do you have what it takes?

https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1563209968399966208

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

eh. little on the nose!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Removing the Y cupcake was a great gag in the episode.

But they need to stop with all these Analtics tweets. It's beyond beating a dead horse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's not a joke. The Deep forgot he ate the Y cupcake and now he just thinks that's how you spell it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I mean you make a good point, but it WAS a major plot point in the comic and it was sort of used in the first episode so you'd expect there to be some sort of fallout, especially as Annie is now part of The Boys (and Butcher is clearly not happy about that.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Herogasm was mostly pretty tame compared to the comic. Which is fine. I have no desire to see Jack Quaid get molested.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I mean you make a good point, but it WAS a major plot point in the comic and it was sort of used in the first episode so you'd expect there to be some sort of fallout, especially as Annie is now part of The Boys (and Butcher is clearly not happy about that.)

Lot of watchers did not read the comic, so it's bad form to just throw around comic spoilers.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Watch Fauda on Netflix if you want to see Frenchie being hungover with his shirt off a lot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Halloween Jack posted:

Herogasm was mostly pretty tame compared to the comic. Which is fine. I have no desire to see Jack Quaid get molested.

Maybe we can use that as a lesson going forward and hopefully we won't get anymore "hurr durr do you think Homelander will rape Starlight in the episode where people are loving?"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

JossiRossi posted:

Lot of watchers did not read the comic, so it's bad form to just throw around comic spoilers.

What?

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
To go on a tangent, the YouTube algorithm popped up the Katy Perry half time show
https://youtu.be/ZD1QrIe--_Y, giving me strong Vought Productions vibes. Reality has been indistinguishable from parody for a few years now. Was the comic as on-the-nose as the show? Does Maeve have a wardrobe malfunction?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No, their team has been on point.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

It is crappy to talk about things that happen in the comic that have not happened in the show yet without spoiler tags.

VVV
That too

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 27, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's crappy to talk about the comics because they suck rear end and you should be embarrassed you read them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The comics made me think Ennis hates Superheroes and gay people with Equal measure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

honestly it kind of carries over into the show.

consider the direct juxtaposition of the first two sex scenes of the season: gay sex portrayed as tawdry, explicit to the point of absurdity/grotesquery, drug fueled, clandestine, and ultimately lethally dangerous.

immediate cut to houghie and Starlight having a sacharine, safe, pg-13 hetero canoodle.

I'm not saying rar wargarble hashing cancel the boys forever, but it is right there in the text of what they show us and merits some critical thought about what passed through the ennis comic to TV blood-brain barrier.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
There was the stretchy gay super-Christian supe in season 1 also, although I considered that to be more of the eye-rolling "every homophobe is secretly really gay" cliche.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

honestly it kind of carries over into the show.

consider the direct juxtaposition of the first two sex scenes of the season: gay sex portrayed as tawdry, explicit to the point of absurdity/grotesquery, drug fueled, clandestine, and ultimately lethally dangerous.

immediate cut to houghie and Starlight having a sacharine, safe, pg-13 hetero canoodle.

I'm not saying rar wargarble hashing cancel the boys forever, but it is right there in the text of what they show us and merits some critical thought about what passed through the ennis comic to TV blood-brain barrier.

Also how their most gruesome scene (yet) is some really weird and gross gay sex joke.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As Frenchie says, "don't be so closed-minded!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Frenchie was part of a bisexual throuple for a while, and is therefore best character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Frenchie was part of a bisexual throuple for a while, and is therefore best character.

I've always read the character as a bit tokenistic tbh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Token Frenchman

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

The comics made me think Ennis hates Superheroes and gay people with Equal measure.

Ennis is an edgelord for whom no joke is too outre, but he doesn't appear to genuinely hate gay people. I saw a description of him which said that after a long time he realised he was hurting people that he didn't want to hurt, and used The Authority: Kev series to chart his personal change and growth in that regard. He did the same thing for trans people in The Boys - Hughie says some pretty transphobic things in the later story Dear Becky, and both Annie and his trans friend Bobbi absolutely tear him to shreds for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ennis is great when he has an editor riding herd on him. It's when he gets to do what he wants with no one telling him it's bad that everything goes to poo poo.

Case in point, the Superman issue of Hitman. loving amazing. On the other end of the spectrum? Crossed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

On the other end of the spectrum? Crossed.

Jerking off onto the bullets wouldn't even work, it's simple science.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about how the gay stuff translated to screen, and yea its there, but at least supers aren't marked for death purely due to being gay in the show. It was pointed out that in the comics, all the gay supers are also incredibly cruel about being gay, and that's why they are taken out, but you literally only see cruel gays, as if Ennis things all gay people are weirdo freaks who just want to gently caress everyone.

Maybe he realized later that it was pretty lovely of him, but what I read of the Boys comics is that gay people are trash and should die.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about how the gay stuff translated to screen, and yea its there, but at least supers aren't marked for death purely due to being gay in the show. It was pointed out that in the comics, all the gay supers are also incredibly cruel about being gay, and that's why they are taken out, but you literally only see cruel gays, as if Ennis things all gay people are weirdo freaks who just want to gently caress everyone.

Maybe he realized later that it was pretty lovely of him, but what I read of the Boys comics is that gay people are trash and should die.

Ehh, Swingwing wasn't actually gay, and therefore hated gay people enough to outright murder one when they propositioned him. Hughie is downright loving incensed by it and actually gets angry when it seems like Butcher lets him get away with it (unbeknownst to Hughie at the time, Butcher kills him by messing with his jetpack.)

At no point reading the comic did I get the impression that Ennis is actually homophobic, Jack from Jupiter throws around homophobic slurs left right and centre but is then shown to be into extreme pegging by ladyboys, so uhhh, whatever I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s just the tired trope of ‘super homophobic people are actually really into it’, and while it still comes up in real life a fair bit, it’s such a lovely bit for fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I don't think Ennis hates gay people so much as he loves using slurs of all kinds as "character traits".