Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m 100% certain that 90% of the people in my semiconductor physics classes didn’t actually know what the stuff was for. Like they tried to dive right in to saturation and calculations but at a basic level didn’t know what a transistor was used for even after passing the class

To be fair there is an entire segment of the EE populace that can get away with thinking transistors == solid-state switches for a long time.

Then their poo poo breaks and they discover everything is analog in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Passburger posted:

This might sound silly, but make sure you don't have any powerbricks close to the DAC, usb cable or the headphone cable. I had noise for the longest time and thought it was motherboard related, until I started moving things around, turns out it was a powerbrick from my monitor being too close to my xlr cable.

Anything XLR should be balanced, so if that picks up audible interference from a power brick that is some pretty crazy noise. Or maybe just cheap gear that uses a XLR connector without actually doing balanced audio, to appear better than it is?

Also USB cables are not really susceptible to incidental noise -- it's a digital connection, it pretty much either works or doesn't.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Klyith posted:

Also USB cables are not really susceptible to incidental noise -- it's a digital connection, it pretty much either works or doesn't.

They can introduce noise, however. I can reliability get a noisy audio signal out of my phone if I'm using wired headphones and plug the phone into my computer to charge while listening.

Although that's more the power coming from the computer than the cable itself. Still.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know how much we should trust this as I've become quite skeptical of the source (greymon55), but the results would be surprising if true: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7700x-7600x-rumored-cinebench-r23-scores-are-in

It suggests a much larger single-threaded cinebench score than expected and a much lower multi-threaded score than expected. I thought the idea was that these CPUs would not have much IPC gains but they'd be able to achieve much higher all-core boost clocks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how much we should trust this as I've become quite skeptical of the source (greymon55), but the results would be surprising if true: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7700x-7600x-rumored-cinebench-r23-scores-are-in

It suggests a much larger single-threaded cinebench score than expected and a much lower multi-threaded score than expected. I thought the idea was that these CPUs would not have much IPC gains but they'd be able to achieve much higher all-core boost clocks.

I guess it's feasible that you would see that sort of result if they run hotter than expected, enough that the test unit wasn't able to sustain the max boost clocks on all core loads without throttling, but managed well enough on single core?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

?

Comparing the purported 7700x results to the previous generation 8c/16t parts does show a larger percentage improvement for mt than st? Also not clear what the clockspeed v ipc thing has to do with mt v st. Higher all-core clocks doesn’t preclude even higher clocks for fewer cores.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

this allusion meant posted:

?

Comparing the purported 7700x results to the previous generation 8c/16t parts does show a larger percentage improvement for mt than st? Also not clear what the clockspeed v ipc thing has to do with mt v st. Higher all-core clocks doesn’t preclude even higher clocks for fewer cores.

Yes, but the ST improvement over Zen 3 is still greater than expected and the MT improvement is less than expected. I figured everyone was expecting a larger gap between the two, with Zen 4 struggling against Intel at ST but being dominant at MT.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've been idly reading up on thin clients and noticed this is a pretty neat piece of kit

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-GTR5-5900hx-Windows-Computer/dp/B09S3SX5LT

5900HX + 32GB RAM + 500GB NVME + Wifi 6E + 2x2.5GbE

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yes, but the ST improvement over Zen 3 is still greater than expected and the MT improvement is less than expected. I figured everyone was expecting a larger gap between the two, with Zen 4 struggling against Intel at ST but being dominant at MT.

The MT performance in that leak lines up with the ~40-50% improvement AMD showed off in the announcement, doesn't it?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

shrike82 posted:

i've been idly reading up on thin clients and noticed this is a pretty neat piece of kit

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-GTR5-5900hx-Windows-Computer/dp/B09S3SX5LT

5900HX + 32GB RAM + 500GB NVME + Wifi 6E + 2x2.5GbE

Hell of a thin client - all it needs is a more serious GPU and they could sell it as a workstation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A week or so ago, mdxi very kindly gifted me a used 3600, which I used to replace my 2600X. As a result, I have a free 2600X to give away. It will come with an unused stock cooler in a box for a 5600G, and I will ship it to you anywhere in the lower 48. First PM requesting it with a name and shipping address gets it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
These rumors back up the kind of MT perf gain that Robert Hallock suggested for the 5950X vs the 7950X (up to 40%) and suggest a really high all core freq for the 7950X.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Supposedly the Zen 4 ES couldn't complete the CPU-Z benchmark until a few days ago due to BIOS/AGESA issues. The BIOS issues sound pretty rough... but the performance looks good. This Raptor vs Zen 4 battle is going to be very intense/strange in a months time. And the lurking Vcache versions make this whole match up extra bizarre.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Intel have some kind of potential answer to 3d cache?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

In the consumer/gamer space, Raptor has significantly enlarged caches with lower latencies than a Vcache (according to intel). It also may be cheaper to produce, so they might be able to undercut. But intel's true chiplet fighter isn't until the gen after Raptor.

Zen 5 and Meteor Lake is both companies taking BIG leaps of faith, supposedly, and both are already talking a big game. Both also have rampant rumors of delays.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My guess is that the 7950X3D will probably be the ultimate CPU of the Gen but that the 13400 and 13600/k will probably be the best value for most people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

"Hello the government. I got drunk on monopoly money and crashed my fab into a 10nm overpass. Can I have $50 billion to buy a new one? Yeah? Cool!"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MaxxBot posted:

My guess is that the 7950X3D will probably be the ultimate CPU of the Gen but that the 13400 and 13600/k will probably be the best value for most people.

Leaks suggest that Raptor will also continue to keep the single core performance crown, as well. Likely with the same power use asterix though, although Zen4 TDP's are supposed to rise a bit. There haven't been many (any?) leaks about Zen4 with vcache though, the specter haunting single thread gamers the world over.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

"Hello the government. I got drunk on monopoly money and crashed my fab into a 10nm overpass. Can I have $50 billion to buy a new one? Yeah? Cool!"

It's not just the government that Intel are turning too, they're also going halfsies with a private equity firm on the financing of new fabs: https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/23/intel_asks_private_equity_firms/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It's not just the government that Intel are turning too, they're also going halfsies with a private equity firm on the financing of new fabs: https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/23/intel_asks_private_equity_firms/

Yeah despite my sarcasm I don't think there's anything wrong with Intel getting gov't money to build a fab, as long as they follow through on becoming a hybrid fab model like Samsung that's open to manufacture for other companies. AMD got their bag when they sold GloFlo to Abu Dhabi.

I think the lesson of the 10nm debacle was that this poo poo is now so difficult that even Intel can't go it alone -- trying to steal a full generation leap over the competition means you're paying for R&D the rest of the industry gets to use.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hey AMD is welcome to book Intel fabspace! Let’s get this duopoly in HIGH gear.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean at this point, are there any cutting edge fabs that aren't taking government money? Maybe not always the us government, but we're getting to the point where it just takes nation state resources to keep going.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's a strategic resource for sure too. the US doesn't like that china can threaten production whenever it threatens Taiwan.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

I mean at this point, are there any cutting edge fabs that aren't taking government money? Maybe not always the us government, but we're getting to the point where it just takes nation state resources to keep going.

How much money is TSMC getting from Taiwan? TSMC was founded partially with RoC money in the 1980s and I can see stuff about Japan and the US bribing TSMC to build new fabs in their countries, but is the RoC helping TSMC with foundry capital costs?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hobbesmaster posted:

How much money is TSMC getting from Taiwan? TSMC was founded partially with RoC money in the 1980s and I can see stuff about Japan and the US bribing TSMC to build new fabs in their countries, but is the RoC helping TSMC with foundry capital costs?

I think it still has most of its R&D budget covered by local subsidy, but it's subsidized by so many different governments at this point it's hard to say who's helping with what.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Makes you wonder if the enthusiasm we see regarding Taiwan's independence by the West would be the same if TSMC didn't exist

It's all the eggs in one basket and an extraordinarily vulnerable sector, all it takes is Xi Jinping to give the thumbs up and that's a global catastrophe-level incident

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yeah despite my sarcasm I don't think there's anything wrong with Intel getting gov't money to build a fab

I do, but that ship has sailed ages ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Makes you wonder if the enthusiasm we see regarding Taiwan's independence by the West would be the same if TSMC didn't exist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_of_China?wprov=sfti1
Without going too far into politics, despite the efforts of Nixon, Reagan and HW Bush, there still exist a fair number of powerful people that think zombie Chiang is ready to be unleashed or something. If it wasn’t this it’d be something else.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

Leaks suggest that Raptor will also continue to keep the single core performance crown, as well. Likely with the same power use asterix though, although Zen4 TDP's are supposed to rise a bit. There haven't been many (any?) leaks about Zen4 with vcache though, the specter haunting single thread gamers the world over.
Leaks for vache speculate Q2. Initially it was supposed to launch at the holiday season/sometime in Q1.

I don't think there's anything particularly credible though. Other than zen4's vcache is very similar to zen3's and it will be zen5 that has redesigned cache & a next-gen vcache.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I’ve got an ASRock X570 Taichi, and I’m looking to max it out by the end of the year. I initially paired it with a 3400g because it was cheap and I couldn’t get my hands on a GPU right away, but I am looking to have a 5950X in there by the end of September.

The big question, which has probably already been answered plenty of times before, is: should I care about RAM QVL lists anymore? I don’t necessarily need to squeeze the last few % of framerates out with the fastest RAM, but 64 or 128GB is likely going to come in handy during the lifetime of this computer.

Also, ASRock has a “storage QVL” list on their support page for my board. Should I pay attention to this instead of grabbing the fastest PCIE4 NVMe I can find?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's funny how my 5600 non-X is around 2% faster and consumes 10-15W less in games than my 5600X, due to the far superior binning if going by the max effective clocks versus Vcore (1.1V vs 1.3V)

Palladium fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 28, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I do, but that ship has sailed ages ago.

heh, yeah. by normal standards of politics & corporate welfare I guess it's ok.

istewart posted:

The big question, which has probably already been answered plenty of times before, is: should I care about RAM QVL lists anymore? I don’t necessarily need to squeeze the last few % of framerates out with the fastest RAM, but 64 or 128GB is likely going to come in handy during the lifetime of this computer.

If you want to run 4 sticks of high-capacity ram and have it work at XMP speed, then yes paying attention to QVL is a good idea. If you're ok with buying 3600 and having it perform at lower speed, than buy whatever.

The big downside here is not that 3200 performance is terrible. It's that when your ram doesn't run at XMP you drop to JDEC 2666 by default, and finding something in between means loving around with auto-OC or manual overclocking. And that takes some time even if you're not trying to dial in the maximum possible OC. Auto-OC for memory is often terrible and fails under memtest, so it's not really a timesaver.

tldr get QVL if at all possible.

istewart posted:

Also, ASRock has a “storage QVL” list on their support page for my board. Should I pay attention to this instead of grabbing the fastest PCIE4 NVMe I can find?

Nah I can't imagine it makes any difference for a good quality drive. That list is probably more about denying coverage for terrible crap.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Samsung and tsmc both get very high levels of government support (samsung, whose family heir just got pardoned for bribery crimes more or less explicitly because his company is too important, is also complaining that they need more incentives and subsidies from the rok government to match the much higher level tsmc gets from the roc government). They get assistance speeding up permitting, guarantees on the resources like water they need for operating, loads of tax incentives for land, construction, and operation, municipal support to get everything hooked up quickly, and generally a lot of special treatment to waive costs and wait times. This is the nature of the industry; there used to be dozens of companies that competed to fabricate semiconductors near the leading edge, and now there's three. Two or three are kinda sorta close behind and everyone else is making power circuitry or stuff for dishwashers or whatever on old nodes. These characteristics of the industry are not purely an outcome of trade or investment policy, but in large degree reflect intrinsic challenges in the physics and engineering problems that make up semiconductor fabrication. States with firms that are still in the game can decide if they want to stay in or not. Taiwan doesn't have a choice since the rest of their economy isn't growing too good and logically doesn't have any particular comparative advantage it can leverage to stay ahead of competition in the region; tsmc's share of exports keeps going up and up.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's all the eggs in one basket and an extraordinarily vulnerable sector, all it takes is Xi Jinping to give the thumbs up and that's a global catastrophe-level incident
Other way around. The extreme profitability of holding the leading node distorts the significance of tsmc's technology; if the world were reduced to the slightly slower and hotter level of samsung and intel and we had to have slightly less good phones and supercomputers like three years ago most people wouldn't really notice much (this thread definitionally includes an unusually high concentration of people who care a lot). Of course if all the fabs became unavailable for a while that would be extremely noticeable in basically the same way the recent chip shortage (a much smaller mismatch in demand and supply) was very noticeable, but that's a matter of orders on older nodes going unfulfilled, not a lack of bleeding edge performance. The sheer mass of mature node capacity on the island in turn reflects the significance of the geographical location to global electronics manufacturing: southeast china, japan, southern korea, and southeast asia are all a relatively short way away by relatively calm seas. Taiwan society in turn has strong business and cultural ties to mainland china, the united states, and japan. The east asian electronic-industrial complex basically sprawled out from centers of western and japanese capital along these connections, and these connections enable nodes in the network to hold onto high value add parts of the chain as other links are spread out into the periphery. This location and interconnectedness drives both the geostrategic interest in the island and also the concentration of electronics manufacturing capacity.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Eletriarnation posted:

Hell of a thin client - all it needs is a more serious GPU and they could sell it as a workstation.

More like thicc client

I wonder if it has some way to break out some PCIe lanes for an external GPU? They can't possibly be using all of the CPU's lanes internally.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the elite mini b550 comes with a gpu dock

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mini my butthole.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i spent the past couple days digging into if there's a mini pc that'd be better than my current "thin" client solution which is using my macbook air.
it seems like there's still no real competition for apple silicon in terms of performance/watt right now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

Mini my butthole.

Reminds me of ITX cases that is only 7L smaller than a 37L ATX one

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
The extra psu and full length graphics card make it real goofy. If they had a flex-atx psu and a short graphics card it would look like a weird cross between an open case, a nuc, and a truly small case like a velka or whatever, and that would be kinda neat if silly. But with a sfx psu and full sized graphics card it feels more like a cross between an open case, a nuc, and those external gpu enclosures for laptops that were around for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

with USB4 on the incoming AMD chips, hopefully there'll be a resurgence in egpu solutions

i have two razer core x sitting in my closet unused just because of how much of a PITA using an egpu on AMD has been even with a thunderbolt daughter card