Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. Lack of education is the main thrust of the book Invisible China. Basically that China has already gone through the period where they can develop by throwing everyone into factories and needs to transition to other economic engines that require education, but China has by far the lowest level of education of any comparable country. South Korea is a contrasting example, they reached this same point decades ago but had something like three times the education level, so were able to transition successfully. The government's decision to forget about rural China means they are way behind where they need to be, and they're most likely out of time to fix it.

The "China will collapse any day now!" crowd are (probably) wrong, but the reality is China is in serious trouble and there's a good chance they do not have the means to deal with it. Even if they wanted to--it's not like you can educate everyone overnight, it's inherently a multi decade project. The boom has been over for years, the question is if they can muddle through and keep things functional or not.

I got the idea that China had some sort of long term plan to become more a domestic economy instead of being export reliant, since that means depending a lot on other countries for your growth. But they don't really seem to have been working towards that at all. Or just did a bad job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Got in trouble" or "some guy in a suit will have to bow and apologize publicly"?

They're not allowed to use the guest worker program anymore and he can probably sue them, but civil awards in Japan are very low. He might get a few months pay.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

Cue face culture, your the boss, you have a Ferrari (no he literally took him the parking garage and showed him) so to be corrected in any way is slight and requires throwing a tantrum.

I've had at least 2 American bosses that have done this exact same thing but with Porsche 911's

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got the idea that China had some sort of long term plan to become more a domestic economy instead of being export reliant, since that means depending a lot on other countries for your growth. But they don't really seem to have been working towards that at all. Or just did a bad job of it.

It seems like a good idea on paper but how you replace the consumer demand from Europe and the states with a population where something like half is poorer then the formerly colonized populations in Africa is a mystery. Add in the population aging and water running out, things are going to get bad

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are a lot of things going into why it isn't working. China doesn't have long term plans the way people imagine, central planning an economy is extraordinarily difficult and doesn't seem to ever really work, just switching an economy to different things is easier said than done, China doesn't have the education levels necessary to transition to these different industries, domestic economies depend on people spending money and Chinese people tend to save as much as possible rather than getting the money flowing around (everyone going into massive consumer debt is bad too, but there's a happy medium where people are saving some but the velocity of money is high). It's all interconnected and the government can only do so much, even if they're competently handling it. Which they aren't.

Like a big reason Chinese people are so conservative with spending is China spent two centuries in chaos and it became deeply ingrained in the culture to not trust anything or anyone and protect yourself. There are a LOT of problems in China that stem from that, and it's the kind of trauma that just sticks in the culture and takes a long time to go anywhere. China being stable for 40 years isn't nearly enough time for it to fade.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Grand Fromage posted:

Like a big reason Chinese people are so conservative with spending is China spent two centuries in chaos and it became deeply ingrained in the culture to not trust anything or anyone and protect yourself. There are a LOT of problems in China that stem from that, and it's the kind of trauma that just sticks in the culture and takes a long time to go anywhere. China being stable for 40 years isn't nearly enough time for it to fade.
Like the whole culture of loving over business connections for a quick buck instead of trying to build long term relationships.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bum the Sad posted:

Like the whole culture of loving over business connections for a quick buck instead of trying to build long term relationships.

Yep. Everything has to be instant gratification at the cost of the future since five years from now we might all be tearing down the Four Olds again.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bum the Sad posted:

Its been talked about in the older threads.

But because of contract law being a weak thing and courts not being fair.

The way you build long term trust is by whoring. As in you and people go drinking and have group sex with hookers and film it. That way if you try to screw eachother the videos get released.

I never saw it but some goons claim when the videos do come out they are kinda sad.

I know not to trust china insight but they had video about china car company that was cleared for both electric and ice engines but the head of it was a connected ccp offical and mostly cared about getting subsidies from the government and now the subsidies have run out and company cant pay its workers or fulfill orders.

Its a very much steal what is nailed down and run kinda place.

also I cant find it but there was cool youtube video about some young chinese people who started a company making RC tanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

What else was the construction boom? That's domestic economy. The problem was they saw the upside and not the dangers of a bubble. So they allowed it to keep going without applying any brakes as long as it was apparently working, but now the wheels have come off.

Similarly, the belt & road initiative. It's basically china looking at the US & EU and saying "How do they collect money from everyone else in the world? Sell them debt? Ok, let's do that!" and then going whole-hog 200% on it. But also not quite thinking about how sovereign debt does have risks and that a lot of the countries they did extravagant loans for infrastructure building may not be able to re-pay. (Especially when the construction is left half-finished like a ghost apartment, so the result is economically unproductive.)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Grand Fromage posted:

It doesn't help that the banking crisis is also looming, and more and more stories are leaking about frozen withdrawals and savings accounts being converted to 'fixed term investments' that aren't allowed to be withdrawn.

China managing to get the 2008 Housing Crisis, 1920s Dust Bowl, a demographic crisis that doesn't have any precedent, and about as much foreign political goodwill as an upper decker at a house party all at once is gonna make a real big mess when it kicks off.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

What else was the construction boom? That's domestic economy. The problem was they saw the upside and not the dangers of a bubble. So they allowed it to keep going without applying any brakes as long as it was apparently working, but now the wheels have come off.

Similarly, the belt & road initiative. It's basically china looking at the US & EU and saying "How do they collect money from everyone else in the world? Sell them debt? Ok, let's do that!" and then going whole-hog 200% on it. But also not quite thinking about how sovereign debt does have risks and that a lot of the countries they did extravagant loans for infrastructure building may not be able to re-pay. (Especially when the construction is left half-finished like a ghost apartment, so the result is economically unproductive.)

There is also the political aspect of giving people work for the sake of work. Remember the chinese loans for that belt and road construction went to chinese builders and chinese suppliers it basically was using chinese debt to create demand for chinese labor and construction materials.

The ills of capitalism especially un checked capitalism are well known I tend to favor regulations to keep it in a cage. The authoritian nature of the ccp you would think would lend them to being very harsh on it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It doesn't help that the banking crisis is also looming, and more and more stories are leaking about frozen withdrawals and savings accounts being converted to 'fixed term investments' that aren't allowed to be withdrawn.

China managing to get the 2008 Housing Crisis, 1920s Dust Bowl, a demographic crisis that doesn't have any precedent, and about as much foreign political goodwill as an upper decker at a house party all at once is gonna make a real big mess when it kicks off.

Don't forget the ongoing plague!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Devils Affricate posted:

Don't forget the ongoing plague!

Yeah, but that's an existing crisis, all the rest of them are looming crises.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You can say many things about ruthless capitalism but pointless make work ain't a part of it

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

You can say many things about ruthless capitalism but pointless make work ain't a part of it

How much actual productive work does the typical US office worker get done in their 8-10-hour days?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Presented without context

quote:

Took out the Winnie the Pooh / Xi gif because I will not tolerate any criticism of President Xi or Xi Jingping Thought.

Also, and I cannot believe I can say this, we have previously discussed as a mod and admin team whether such a thing is explicitly racist, that is literally adding yellow skin to an Asian man, or just accidentally racist. That one strikes me more as making fun of the fact that Xi Jingping clearly hates being compared to Winnie the Pooh and as someone who shares his unique body type, I can sympathize.

But because yeah people can absolutely see it as racist it is now gone.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"as someone who shares his unique body type"

lmao

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Chinathread: as someone who shares his unique body type, I can sympathize

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Body type with Pooh-bear characteristics.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Whoosh!

That’s honestly the first time I’ve seen a Pooh reference be about the colour of his fur.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I thought it was Hong Kongers that first made the Pooh comparison, along with Obama as Tigger?

Would "jelly bean shaped" be more respectful?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Chinathread: as someone who shares his unique body type, I can sympathize
Plz, Seth, do the needful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph, and poohmorph

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

PITY BONER posted:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/cliffordcoonan/status/1563096587580379136?s=21&t=F2t4qXK2CeffFVjo7zQVcw

Also

PITY BONER posted:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Thy will be done~

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol at jiang zeminion

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stink Billyums posted:

lol at jiang zeminion

also a good username

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
pooh bodytype is killing me

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stink Billyums posted:

lol at jiang zeminion

Incredible :yaycat:

I take it fat mod shaming is a probatable offence now as well? Not that I'd want to do such a thing

...can I still laugh at their sympathies tho?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MarcusSA posted:

Presented without context

Aw man, I hate playing 'C-Spam or Reddit'

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Aw man, I hate playing 'C-Spam or Reddit'

lol its from this site but neither cspam or D&D!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It must be those awful awful mod & admin teams from the music barn i hear so much about, i knew it

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Coupons

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's from whatever thread halfwit seppos congregate in.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the pooh meme was because you had tall thin obama walking next to short round Xi and the picture was put next to a photo of tiger and pooh.

The resulting banning of winnie the pooh in china was classic Streisand effect, and now its a thing.

Also if you call someone yellow doesnt that mean they are a coward?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wait until you hear about huangdi

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

If a random tourist accidentally wore a Winnie the Pooh t-shirt through Chinese immigration would they be denied entry into the country?

Serious question.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Thy will be done~

I've been laughing for 5 minutes straight at this point, this is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PITY BONER posted:

I thought it was Hong Kongers that first made the Pooh comparison, along with Obama as Tigger?

No, it was mainlanders. That's why it became a big deal and got banned. You're remembering the original meme right though, it was Xi and Obama walking next to a Pooh and Tigger pic.

Anyone who is reaching that far to pretend it's racist is just a loving dipshit, ignore 'em.