Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

It's available as a dropdown on Arkhamdb.com

My group ended up not using it, but that reminds me:

What's the overall risk if one or two players in a 3 player game use the Taboo list, and one doesn't? I'll probably eventually want to start using it just as a cap on rascally shenanigans, but I want to support my friend who does their deckbuilding exclusively analog.

You're not really going to notice all that much of a difference unless the untaboo'd deck is specifically built around one of the busted combos the taboo list is trying to prevent (like using some kind of insane bless/draw engine to constantly recur A Watchful Peace and shut down encounters round after round). It'll possibly be a bit stronger but not all that much, and some cards are actually buffed by the taboo list so they'll lose out on those (like the free triggered Scroll of Secrets, which helps a lot with drawing cards/deck management for Mystics).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They've changed the “Lunatic” trait to “Possessed” in the entire Carcosa cycle. Now it's less offensive :toot:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Taboo Highlights

(not a complete list)

- Machete untaboo'd back to 0 EXP

- +2 EXP for Jeremiah Kirby and Gene Beauregard, +3 EXP for David Renfield (on account of all the doom management tech coming up the next cycle)

- Mr. Rook returned to 0 EXP, but his free trigger is now an action ability instead

- Strange Solution reduced to +1 damage instead of +2

- Black Market can be played once per round max (so no chaining Black Markets)

- Cyclopean Hammer exhausts for the +2 damage/move effect

- Eon Chart changed to granting basic actions

- Mandy must take a 50 card deck, no more choosing deck size

- Lola Hayes gains a new ability: spend an action to switch roles, does not provoke attacks of opportunity (in addition to her free trigger role change). Weakness nerfed to discard only one card from current role, instead of all.

Machete back to being king of the level 0 decks, as god intended.

I'm not really sure why Jeremiah needed a nerf, he isn't that strong. Dr Milan is still better imo and now he's just further cemented as the default ally for every seeker. Gene is whatever, personally I still preferred good old Dr Milan and Lola Santiago even at 3XP. David Renfield is fair, I've finally started using him and he is pretty incredible. Being able to activate his ability without paying a doom tax would be too strong without an XP cost probably.

Thats fair as well for Mr. Rook, he's still good but honestly I just ran him in Harvey Walters and never really felt like I needed him.

Absolutely gutted about Strange Solution. It's one of my favorite cards. I'll just pretend I didn't see this part....

Cyclopean Hammer is barely affected by this, its still the strongest weapon in the game I think.

I guess this is a nerf to Eon Chart but not by much, you can just use other actions to use events and assets to do things. Free actions are still crazy good.

That seems like a good nerf to Mandy, I'm still never playing her but that seems more reasonable now. Lola's change is fantastic, mainly due to the nerf to her weakness. Just include some crappy fast asset to take the blow or something like Moonstone or Winging It that you can keep in hand to get benefits from discarding it.

Oh hey:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 26, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I was hoping they’d buff butterfly knives. Also, are they going to add more ways to decrease enemy stats? Right now there’s what? Withering, expose weakness, the improvised cards, and stealth? That might sound like a lot, but it really isn’t.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The huge nerf to Crisis of Identity is fuckin awesome. gonna build so many Lola decks now.

Lmao at the Cyclopean Hammer nerf. I don't think it'll be particularly noticeable. I was hoping the taboo list would give me a good reason not to take it in every guardian deck forever.

Also, just finished an Edge of the Earth campaign where one player was playing cursey alternate-Wendy and we had max frost tokens, and another player had Voice of Ra and Ritual Candles. . . really coulda used those mutations a bit sooner.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

I was hoping they’d buff butterfly knives. Also, are they going to add more ways to decrease enemy stats? Right now there’s what? Withering, expose weakness, the improvised cards, and stealth? That might sound like a lot, but it really isn’t.

There's also Momentum but I feel like Exploit Weakness is built to combo with Quick Learner, which lowers any skill test by 1 on or after your third action and you can bring two of them to make it -2. Also I think anything that 'automatically succeeds' reduces the value of a test to 0 so you could do that?

But yeah this card needs some support to really work outside of Quick Learner Stella decks I think.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Preston and Wendy can both use this with momentum to perform automatic hits. Automatic hits were previously the domain of guardians, and cost either five XP or the enemy got to hit you too. They are fun for pile on effects, like vicious blow, quick-thinking, stunning blow, etc.

Not triggering search during setup means Zoey and Roland become slightly less profitable.

Dealing with the ichor means that Amanda is no longer in the running for best fighter in the game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Gené is not whatever, she is incredible when you don't need to pick up clues but just move them off of a specific location, and also very good at helping you get clues by moving them to lower shrouds and on top of that can move enemies out of the way.

Strange Solution finally nerfed. Seems very fair. Expect Hammer and probably Chart to eat more nerfs later. Unsure if Machete will stay as is also.

Mandy and Mr Rook both fair. Tough to say what power level these are at now.

Golden Bee posted:

Not triggering search during setup means Zoey and Roland become slightly less profitable.

Carolyn also.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 26, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Signum Crucis at 0 XP is the best bonus, that card is so good in a bless deck. It's survivor so I always had extra XP to waste on it, but still welcomed. It's also Practiced!

Jeremiah Kirby was broken. I built some decks based around him and he was constantly refilling my hand.

Same with Gené, being able to ship enemies away from you or freely swipe clues off victory locations without wasting an action + test is too good.

I'm actually going to play Mandy again now that she's stuck at 50 cards and Rook can start in her deck. I haven't done anything with her since before I started using the taboo list.

Shame they had to nerf David Renfield, but if he had to take a hit so that "doom matters" can become a good mystic archetype, so be it.

I actually forgot that Eon Chart could do non-basic actions, so I was always using it for a free move or a basic investigate after using whatever else.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

This one seems built for the upcoming Darrell Simmons, who can lower the difficulty of any skill test by spending evidence. As long as the enemy has a fight or evade value of 2 or less, this instantly defeats them.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

All the taboo changes seem good except for the Hammer where it makes very little difference, at least in low player count games. I would've liked to have seen it chained too, but then the thing about chained cards is that they're pretty much all still worth taking at their increased cost.

Gene at 5XP is very reasonable and the Profana change is a good one which doesn't really diminish its power in most situations (the final scenario of EotE being a notable exception). And Mandy is now interesting.

Exploit Weakness is pretty niche outside Darrell, which is fine, but sets are generally designed with internal synergy in mind so I'm betting there will be at least one other card in TSK that reduces the skill value of a test to go along with it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I’m curious about Flute of the Outer Gods now.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I believe MJ's testimony about it being capable of obscene things but it doesn't strike me as a card that's particularly easy to break. You'd probably want to get more than two damage per hit from it so you'd be looking for enemies like these:

Both of them could be used as boss-killers in their respective scenarios, or you could always just do the "stop hitting yourself" thing on any non-elite, or move non-hunters etc. It seems like it could be a decent tool for enemy management in multiplayer games and maybe on-demand curse sealing is useful as well? I haven't really played a curse build yet.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is a really cool card.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 2, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This is wild. Encourages you to play dragon pole and familiar spirit without actually having spells?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

If you're playing pole or familiar just to draw more cards from it then you've given up your hand slots and an ally slot for nothing because in that situation both of those cards are dead draws themselves so your net gain is zero (apart from the cycling). But if you play it in a deck that plays pole anyway then sometimes you'll be able to straight up draw three, and even if your slots are filled being able to cycle cards can still be valuable.

I do think it makes The Hierophant more appealing.

Getting both cards in your mulligan gives you that draw three right away and you can also put a spell in the accessory slot to delay filling up the arcane ones. Initiation probably isn't worth running in a deck that doesn't have any way to grant more arcane slots, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can a mystic accessorize straight into divinity with this?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The card by itself seems pretty bad without building around it and the payoff doesn't seem that great.

Without extra slots you are trading a card, an action and a resource to draw two cards assuming you don't already have any spells out. So one of the draws is replacing itself and then it is effectively costing you a resource to take the draw action which you can already do for free. If you didn't have this card in your deck you would have a different, actually useful card in your hand and be up an action and a resource. If you do have your arcane slots filled then you are trading those 3 things for card cycling.

Without having extra arcane slots it feels very resource inefficient, and if you are investing multiple resources to get more arcane slots you'd better have more reason to do it than this card drawing you one or two extra cards.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 2, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It might be useful for Lily with Dragon pole, she’s an extremely slow drawing guardian.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mystic also has pretty terrible card draw at XP0. You have Arcane Initiate but if you don't want to play that you're at the mercy of the upkeep phase. I think this is intended to be an emergency button that lets you draw as much as you can to get the spells you need and dump everything else.

But to really make it work you need extra spell-slots so it is awkward as it requires set up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

This is a really cool card.

Man this card would be amazing if you could tutor it up or start with it (a la Stick to the Plan) somehow. Play your arcane slot increasing cards first, then play this, then play spells.

That said, Mystics have always had card draw as their weakness, so it makes sense that the draw they do get remains highly conditional and finicky.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's a good card for starting decks, something you quickly drop as you gain xp though.

e: is there any red/purple investigators that would want extra arcane slots and discard?

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 2, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

2 new dilemma cards for survivor. One of them (0xp) adds +1 to two skills of your choice and -1 to the others. The other (1xp) makes you pick one of the top 3 cards in the encounter deck to draw and lets any investigator pick up a clue from any location.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 2, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hi-res versions (big image for the first):

I think these are both really solid. Nature of the Beast feels like the red Drawn to the Flame. You don't need an action to play it and only get one clue but the fact that you get to pick the treachery and who draws it, plus discard 2 encounter cards is really nice. Also the art is hilarious. Making Preparations is decent, it can be nice to get and potentially save you but if you draw it at an awkward time it may whiff or hinder the team. Definitely better in solo or duo games imo.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That makes five Dilemma cards now. They certainly went hard on them.

Making Preparations strikes me as a good card for any Mystic that can take it since you can use your Willpower for everything and you won't suffer for not having picked it if it's active during the Mythos phase. But yeah, the more players in the game the more likely it is someone will either get screwed during the Mythos phase or have to postpone an action they were going to take, and I doubt the bonus to the other players would offset that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nature feels like specific use cases only. Hunting for jazz, seeking victory point enemies, getting rid of veterans enemies, seeking willpower treacheries to power Holy Rosary (2). It triggers during upkeep so if you’re Patrice seeking the stars are right, it could help.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

As expected, Vincent Lee is basically a mirror image of Carolyn Fern. I think he's way more interesting than Carolyn though, especially with that Survivor 0-1 rule. I love the Bonesaw and I'll definitely be using its second ability in every game! His weakness could be a huge problem sometimes so you'd probably want to keep some heal power on hand until it appears in each game.

I believe the only thing left to reveal with regards to the investigators in this box is Carson's deck building rules. They're a very interesting bunch this time around and I'm looking forward to playing all of them.

edit: trying to wrap my head around the in-universe effect of healing damage with a Bonesaw. Presumably failing the Int test means he accidentally cut off a limb (hence the physical trauma) but then how exactly would you use an instrument like that to treat a wound without, you know, severing something in the first place.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 4, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Very gory cards. Bonesaw is another in the line of signature assets, like the wrench, that attack in melee but can’t be enchanted.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kalko posted:

I believe the only thing left to reveal with regards to the investigators in this box is Carson's deck building rules. They're a very interesting bunch this time around and I'm looking forward to playing all of them.

Amina's deckbuilding hasn't been revealed officially anywhere that I've seen either, supposedly it is charms 0-5 but not confirmed (and I've seen some leaks as well like I saw Vincent Lee and the bonesaw a few weeks back but there was no picture of her card back or anything that I could see among them).

I think flavourwise the healing part of the bonesaw is more encompassing his general medical knowledge rather than just being the bonesaw, they wanted to give him some way of healing in his default kit but with a potential cost (and didn't want to give him 6 signature cards if you also count the "on the mends"). So if you use the healing option he's trying to heal you as best he can and if he fails the knowledge check then you still get healed but there's a long term problem that'll need a lot longer to heal. Like he's popping your joint back in and setting the bone, you can move your arm just about but without rest it'll get worse again over time or whatever. Then if you include other healing cards in his deck like you're obviously intended to, those would be representing him healing with better materials available, more time and prep, etc.

That's just how I interpreted it anyway, obviously the idea of Vincent Lee, slightly cocky doctor, cutting peoples arms off with his patented medical technique is also pretty funny.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 4, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Seems like he'd be a great pairing with Mark. Combine with Carolyn and Agnes for the combowombo.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Doing Trauma also has the knock-on silver lining of ensuring other players start the game with some damage he can immediately heal to hand out On The Mends.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Doing Trauma also has the knock-on silver lining of ensuring other players start the game with some damage he can immediately heal to hand out On The Mends.

Intentionally loving up surgeries so I have an excuse to prescribe painkillers for the rest of the campaign.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Do you think the wounded bystander is the same guy every time? Just some unfortunate bastard following you into the depths of hell and getting eviscerated over and over?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Remember this ceremonial sickle? New card is a 4xp version.

Seems like a pretty steep xp cost for what you get. A +2 skill value on the exhaust attack and the 2nd option now removes all doom on it and readies the sickle. And another fight icon I guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I know they wouldn't be great for the rogue with tool access anyway but in what world are sickles and dowsing rods not tools?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Uhh they're magical.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You don’t clean the farm with a ceremonial sickle.

It seems overcosted but maybe it’s a combo piece? Amina plays it for zero and can immediately trigger its ability, but IDK. There are cheaper spells that do more.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It lets Mystics use their hands, hence the extra cost.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

You don’t clean the farm with a ceremonial sickle.

It seems overcosted but maybe it’s a combo piece? Amina plays it for zero and can immediately trigger its ability, but IDK. There are cheaper spells that do more.

Spells have limited charges. This isn't that strong considering it exhausts to do extra damage, but they probably don't want to have a repeat of Cyclopean Hammer. It's competitive with high-end spells as long as you have at least 3 combat but you do want a Brand or Shrivelling in the back pocket for high-health enemies. Not having to worry about running out of charges is really nice, that's always my worry with Mystics. If you attach it to Elle Rubash you can fight at +2 or a whopping +5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“If you spend 7xp and play two cards, it’s a good weapon” is meh. Spells have lots of ways to recharge, even in this set, can be bought almost for free with arcane knowledge and down the rabbit hole, played for free with uncaged the soul… I don’t think we know the pieces that make this an effective card, as opposed to a luxury item.