Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It's functionally based on damage, which is why your damage dealers can yoink aggro from your defenders if they deal too much too fast (Incursor...)

Defenders usually compensate with skills that have specifically boosted aggro or other things.

It's a large reason why Exile is actually good: They just focus on dealing damage, so they're one of the best at maintaining aggro.

No, I don't know the mechanics behind healing aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Mea Tulpa posted:

Gems are easier to manage in that there's no inventory and you only need 1. But accessories are a good alternative system because you don't need to farm like 150 rare items to make the best ones.

I'm not saying that they should remove Accessories from the game and make their effects into new Gems. In a completely hypothetical alternate Accessory system, I would want to unlock new effects and tiers of Accessories by buying them from shops, having them drop from monsters, or having them rewarded from quests. Like existing accessories are, but without all the busywork of having to manage your inventory and the endless trash you get

Supremezero posted:

Yes, but that does not work in the cases like the break brooch, the tp ring, boost damage based on position, or boost smash damage, which are very specific "You have it or you don't" concepts, except the position ones which are instead "You have it or you don't, and also you pick one of the directions"

Edit: Oh, and the cancel one. That's probably the best example except for maybe the tp ring.

you just unlock the effect once then. it's basically a gem with one tier

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
These proposals you're making wouldn't actually fix the problem though. Like the vast majority of the problem is that there's too much variety, not that you get too much junk. I barely have any junk and finding what I want is still a pain.

The answer isn't "eliminate duplicates", it's "Streamline the search"

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Should I focus on Agility or Block Rate with my Lone Exile? I got the dealing damage part down but actually being a tank is still kinda eluding me.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Supremezero posted:

These proposals you're making wouldn't actually fix the problem though. Like the vast majority of the problem is that there's too much variety, not that you get too much junk. I barely have any junk and finding what I want is still a pain.

The answer isn't "eliminate duplicates", it's "Streamline the search"

there's both too many pointless effects and there's too much junk. I don't think anyone's equipping the "Increases damage to one specific type of monster" effect accessories. Or the "Increases damage when the enemy is afflicted by Blaze" accessory when there's only like one or two ways to inflict Blaze in the whole game.

But if you don't have to design a menu around the player potentially having 0 to 200 to 500 or more items, and instead just like 30-50 unique effects, that would also streamline the search

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Trampoline posted:

there's both too many pointless effects and there's too much junk. I don't think anyone's equipping the "Increases damage to one specific type of monster" effect accessories. Or the "Increases damage when the enemy is afflicted by Blaze" accessory when there's only like one or two ways to inflict Blaze in the whole game.

But if you don't have to design a menu around the player potentially having 0 to 200 to 500 or more items, and instead just like 30-50 unique effects, that would also streamline the search

I have the highest tiers of all of the "increase damage to monster type" gems favorited and use them in UM fights.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah, Lone Exile is probably my favorite class to play because it's basically an attacker that doesn't fall over dead after a monster breathes strongly on it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sorting by recommended or whatever it's called takes most of the work out of finding accessories

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I just sold any accessory that I got a duplicate of (or rather sold the lower value one.) If it looks particularly good I sold if I got two instead. You really don't need to keep every item you get.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
An obvious (but insufficient) improvement would be for the game not to have both a +21% and +22% damage things, etc. Like it's one thing to have both a +20% and +40% tiers, another to distinguish qualities within same kind of accessory in a way that barely makes a difference but increases the clutter.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Everything with the same effect gets grouped and sorted with the biggest % at the top of the group, these accessory gripes really seem like people making mountains out of molehills

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

brand engager posted:

Everything with the same effect gets grouped and sorted with the biggest % at the top of the group, these accessory gripes really seem like people making mountains out of molehills

It is a molehill, but the Accessory system is right next to the much easier to use and UX-friendly Gem system that serves the exact same purpose (letting the player choose 3 effects to customize their characters with) so I'm curious about the decisions that lead to why it was implemented the way it was

If I didn't really like the game I wouldn't even bother posting, but in a game so improved from its predecessors in almost all regards odd design choices stand out to me more

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

RuBisCO posted:

Should I focus on Agility or Block Rate with my Lone Exile? I got the dealing damage part down but actually being a tank is still kinda eluding me.

Go with whichever stat is naturally higher. I forget which it is with that class. Of all defender classes I like going with zephyr and guardian commander because each is specialized in either agility or blocking, and you can set them up with arts and skills to deal enough damage to hold aggro.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
What if you simply give your Zephyr a 97% block rate

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t love how Lone Exile’s arts are all just Dunban’s arts because it’s not nearly as good as Dunban was. But I feel like Lone Exile might be too good if its agility was comparable to Zephyr because of how insanely good it is at dealing out constant damage and keeping aggro.

If only you could run a “Naked Dunban” build for Lone Exile, then it would be amazing.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Martial artist is actually pretty good and fun if you load up on quick recharge skills and also run a recharge speed up class like troubadour. When you rip aggro from a dinosaur and get killed it takes like 5s to get back up to max attack speed due to all the fast skill spam. Plus the talent art recharges like 5 times a fight

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Does this game do the same thing as 1 and 2 where if you find all the locations on the map it fills out the rest for you?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
https://github.com/RoccoDev/xc3-difficulty-unlocker

Bringer of Chaos mode is already in the base game along with custom difficulty settings. The linked mod unlocks them.

Mostly looking forward to playing NG+ with a functional debuffing class since there’s a debuff resist setting now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can't wait to start my Very Hard playthrough so I can grind until level 20 in chapter 1 just to have a chance at beating that loving Ropl.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

pairofdimes posted:

Does this game do the same thing as 1 and 2 where if you find all the locations on the map it fills out the rest for you?

Yep. Sad thing is you don't know what locations you've already found cause they're not on the map :shepface:

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

pairofdimes posted:

Yeah, just found this out while completing some postgame quests. I'm not sure if you need all the markers for defeating named enemies, or if it's just landmarks and locations as before. Getting a couple of secret area landmarks triggered it, and your control character will have voiced comments when you bring up the map.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

brand engager posted:

Great, now keep that sorting when I'm at a vendor so I can figure out what the gently caress I can safely get rid of to pare down my list

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

accessories being something you often only have one or two copies of is an intentional balancing thing that allows them to give you some of the good stuff early on, which is fun, without giving you 6 copies of the good stuff, which would break the game. this is different from gems, where for half the game you're trembling in awe at effects like +300 HP.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Alxprit posted:

Yep. Sad thing is you don't know what locations you've already found cause they're not on the map :shepface:

Mea Tulpa posted:

Yeah, just found this out while completing some postgame quests. I'm not sure if you need all the markers for defeating named enemies, or if it's just landmarks and locations as before. Getting a couple of secret area landmarks triggered it, and your control character will have voiced comments when you bring up the map.

Awesome, I guess I will eventually get them filled out. The one I really want is ch5 Cadensia since there's no way I'd ever be able to fill it in manually.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like this game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Supremezero posted:

Yes, but that does not work in the cases like the break brooch, the tp ring, boost damage based on position, or boost smash damage, which are very specific "You have it or you don't" concepts, except the position ones which are instead "You have it or you don't, and also you pick one of the directions"

Edit: Oh, and the cancel one. That's probably the best example except for maybe the tp ring.

One slot for accessories that are different like those
Two that go for the ones that just upgrade, gem style.

Clear the clutter and make it so I don't have to go into my character - accessories menu every time to clear the loving dots

My favourite classes are Signifier, Troubador (not to play, but what they do for you) and then Incisor or however you spell it. That class does incredible, insane damage.
Of course I barely used it because I always need to be raising a class up but god it's so nice.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 27, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The main thing to note about aggro, and this is HUGE, is that your aggro goes down when the enemy hits you.

Note the keywords there, 'when the enemy hits you.' You dodging doesn't count as a hit.

This is why the dodge tanks are way better than the facetanks in this game and why even facetanks should probably equip some evasion stuff, like some arts that give evasion when used. The ideal setup IMO is a full evasion tank and then a facetank who can pick up the aggro if the evasion tank goes down. Double facetanks have trouble keeping aggro and you can get unlucky with double dodgetanks if they both fail to dodge a big AOE.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 27, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I want the story dlc now :(

I also want it to be an epilogue and not a prequel

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Nyoro posted:

it should be an epilogue since the image shows Noah's sword, not N's

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

donotpost posted:

it should be an epilogue since the image shows Noah's sword, not N's

There's a lot of people that think it'll focus on The founders and the start of the City and if they're right I will be mad because I don't give two shits about that

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Nyoro posted:

same, and same

The long wait time makes me think it'll be an epilogue, since they'll have the time to make some new assets/maps. Whereas a Founders focused dlc could kind of only use the existing map (since unlike Torna, you can't handwave an entire Titan into existence/subsequent destruction.) Plus, it'd be a nice way to introduce some real towns in XB3 with a look at a present day Colony 9/Alcamoth or Torigoth (which would also allow them to reuse some XB1/2 assets).

Though I guess you could show off the original City in a Founders prequel dlc but that doesn't seem grand enough to hold up the entire dlc on its own. But maybe I lack imagination.

Yeah yeah I realize I want the endless now whatever moeb me up and call me consul A just give me my sad cat girl + polite boy, rude bird girl + nerd boy, and two bricks reunion.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
I really doubt that it'll be a prequel. It made sense to do that for XB2 since a significant portion of the main cast was alive during it and it helped expand on why they are who they are in the present, but in 3 there's nothing to show besides the casts of 1+2 fighting a losing battle against a bunch of chumps who were mostly sidequest bosses. Who wants to see that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

donotpost posted:

I really doubt that it'll be a prequel. It made sense to do that for XB2 since a significant portion of the main cast was alive during it and it helped expand on why they are who they are in the present, but in 3 there's nothing to show besides the casts of 1+2 fighting a losing battle against a bunch of chumps who were mostly sidequest bosses. Who wants to see that?

End spoilers.
It could easily be the original ouroboros as people have already said. I've no interest in a prequel honestly, same as with XBC2.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Torna was great and having a cast with a bunch of new characters was rad. I'd be down for something like that again.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i will shovel whatever they provide into my gaping bitch mouth

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I cannot find the 2nd Information for "Homecoming Rite" I think it's the only quest I have left and I can't start it. It's also the most useless quest name to google.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I wonder how an epilogue would work though. Either you keep the entire cast as children which, eh, or you timeskip a couple years so they're in their teens again but... That doesn't really work with the XB1 party's very disparate aging rates. Or... Can Sena even age? Also is real Mio a flesheater?

One of my disappointments with XB3 is that it teased but ultimately doesn't really address the lovely worldbuilding of the previous worlds. I mean, it makes sense given XB3's setting, and the need for XB3 to stand on its own, but I wanted to see how the races of XB1 would mix together after generations or how the colonies could develop when free of constant attacks. We see a bit of it inferred, with XB3 High Entia having coloured hair and smaller wings (Low Entia?), but nothing on a societal level.

Plus, XB3 race biology clearly weren't operating on the same level as their real counterparts and the characters weren't even aware of their races. I was pretty disappointed when I realized Lanz got mad at Riku over a power frame as a thing all Kevesi races got, and not his own literally machina rear end body.

The two conversations between Melia and Eunie about their wings meant the world to me.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The game is intentionally coy about so many aspects of Aionios' past that I can't imagine it not being prequel bait, no matter how much I and everyone else would appreciate an epilogue. For example, Why do some of the founders statues look like Rex and Shulk? Why did they make unique designs for all the founders when they have 0 relevance to anything in the game? Why was there no Consul A? What happened to Noah and Mio's son? What is the deal with everything about RIku? The list goes on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think an epilogue would ruin the games best writing decision tbh, bring on the prequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Bland posted:

Why do some of the founders statues look like Rex and Shulk?

They are Rex and Shulk. Between Nia going you're my (daughter) to Mio, saying see you soon then to the photo which means they're alive in alrest, and Tora helping make origin and the supercomputer in the cloudkeep not much time had passed between the ends of 1 and 2 and the worlds merging