Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:(

No obviously good constructed monored stuff we've not seen before unless I'm missing something major. Lightning Strike and Shivan Devastator might be enough to get there, and Phoenix Chick is OK but I was REALLY hoping for a good hasty 2-drop. Devastator doesn't really do that although it's not BAD per se, and it synergises nicely with Thundering Raiju.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope this next set is fun to draft...

By not drafting HBG too much I should have 3 drafts of currency saved up plus the 4+1 event tokens from the $50 play bundle. I wonder how long I'll be able to stretch that out with my typical WR lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, anybody want to speculate on what's gonna be good in draft?

I'll start, with commons I think will be highly picked.

White

Perfectly acceptable 2-drops, excellent upsides for very cheap

Good even if you just slam with it once, great if Enlist turns out to be a viable archetype (I'm a bit iffy, like with Exalted, if "one big dude attacking" is a good main plan)

Very playable even without the Kicker, extremely good with

Super nice for a defensive deck. Maybe something BW really wants?

Blue

See this work extremely well in a UW aggro deck. The fact that it can slam with impunity and then block an X/2 favorably is crazy good imo. Vigilance on a blue card seems very rare? Am I right about this?

Takes forever for the victim to get online again. It's super cheap and enables synergies (see above). Only Sorcery is a bit of a bummer.

Probably insta-include in any deck that cares about Domain even if it somehow happens to not have Green as a primary color. Hell, this is good just for splashing stuff, like other Kicker costs.

duh

Black

It depends on how fast the format will end up being. But Black has some sickeningly cheap early game aggro.

Note the "permanent" on the Kicker. Great value

Like with NEO's Lethal Exploit, how good this is depends a lot on how often you really need to remove something X/2 on the cheap and quick. e.g. flying organ hoarder is not a great target, but an enlister the opp just tapped a creature for is.

seems just super solid overall

duh

in a slower deck, this (and the Battlefly too!) could shine

Red

Trample is great on an Enlister, if Enlist is good. If not, okay body but not great

See above for the X/2 needing to be removed comment, also obviously better in an Izzet deck that cares about having cheap instants

Will this finally be a first strike granting combat trick that people actually bother playing? Idk. Just wanted to talk about it here, not my top pick, but you never know

seems awesome for the archetype and even good if you don't have blue as a main color. Would be much better with a 3 on toughness of course, as we know from the Festival Crasher

duh

I wonder how many X/1s this format will end up having. How many tokens will be made. Otherwise, there's not too many targets naturally available? I think? Fakeedit: Actually I looked ahead at the Artifacts and there was nothing common or uncommon where I'd say "wow this needs removing immediately". So I'm also not gonna talk about the Enlist ape who can kill an Artifact.

I can see this be really good in the right deck. It's probably still good in any deck, though? Cheap and Instant push it over the top for me

Green

Just solid all around

Decent body (no vigilance trample tho!!!), great upside

Domain staple. Note that I'm not talking about the 1/1 for 3 that has deathtouch and taps for any mana: that doesn't help your land base!!

Always worth it for fixing and ramping even without the Kicker

Wish it could be organ hoarder but I'd play it

Multicolored

No commons

Artifacts

I think The Defender Deck is going to be about as good as The Shrine Deck, as in you're gonna hear about someone drafting it and having a blast, you'll try and fail hard and advise everybody to never try it. Regardless, this + the two black walls + whatever else with Defender, then support that with good Kicker spells as you're going to be 3-4 colors anyway, maybe?!

sure

I'm sure I missed a bunch, and overrated a few of the above - so far it seems like every color has something to offer, including "great in the correct archetype" ones. What's your thoughts?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

seems just super solid overall

best limited common in the set imo. oriole hoarder is great but this is a mana cheaper for very little downside

quote:

Will this finally be a first strike granting combat trick that people actually bother playing? Idk. Just wanted to talk about it here, not my top pick, but you never know

a two mana trick that doesn't draw a card needs to be sucking your dick to even consider playing

it'll be the 24th card in most rx aggro decks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I love how all this defender tribal crap is asking you to play a + b + c + d to get a card's worth of value and then phyrexian rager is like "here you go, here's what you want up front."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

very nicely put together, thank you

my one concern with many of these is that many of them really want you to pay the kicker cost to be any good, effectively making them multicolor cards. like imagine picking up the 1W 2/2 with G to put a counter on something and not ending up in GW, you just end up with a vanilla 2/2. so im probably not gonna pick them highly until i start leaning into that particular color pair. this looks like a set where finding the correct lane is really going to pay off

the ones that stand out to me as glad to first pick cards are the flying hoarder, the 4 mana black removal, and the phyrexian rager

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

babypolis posted:

very nicely put together, thank you

my one concern with many of these is that many of them really want you to pay the kicker cost to be any good, effectively making them multicolor cards. like imagine picking up the 1W 2/2 with G to put a counter on something and not ending up in GW, you just end up with a vanilla 2/2. so im probably not gonna pick them highly until i start leaning into that particular color pair. this looks like a set where finding the correct lane is really going to pay off

the ones that stand out to me as glad to first pick cards are the flying hoarder, the 4 mana black removal, and the phyrexian rager
Yeah, I generally agree with you that there's few obvious "pick this over most Uncommons and quite a few rares" commons, no Inspiring Overseers for sure. Which is not a bad thing imo!

I think it's probably going to go like a mixture of NEO, where Uncommons could really dictate the path you'd take (Artifacts, Enchantments, both, Ninjas...) after a few picks, and SNC, where you'd try to find your two main colors and then add a third. Worst case, green fixing will be so good for Domain and Kicker that every deck will be a Gxxx value pile except for a few people who committed to Wx or RB aggro.

But I haven't taken a closer look at the Uncommons yet to decide that (it's late, I'll maybe do it tomorrow). But, like, opening this with an eh rare or getting it passed for the second pick:

you can slampick it with no regrets and if you don't end up using the black side, whatever, it's a phenomenal card in an aggro deck as well. Or in a WU grindy one with lots of token making and instant/sorcery synergy.

This can also go with anything:

Lategame pushthrough for aggro, sure. Use a big green guy to give them no good option in a rampy deck? Hell yeah. Pump up some guy in an Izzet deck and tap that to make this guy hueg while keeping the original dude back to do it again if the plan fails? Cool, cool.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Simply Simon posted:

Blue
See this work extremely well in a UW aggro deck. The fact that it can slam with impunity and then block an X/2 favorably is crazy good imo. Vigilance on a blue card seems very rare? Am I right about this?

Very rare outside of blue cards with white activated abilities.

The last time blue had that was in Planer Chaos (2007) and that was on cards that were not blue originally, but were color shifted to become blue cards. Urza's Avenger -> Jodah's Avenger and Serra Angel -> Serra Sphinx.

edit - there is a baldurs gate "choose a background" commander that is mono blue, but vigilance is very rare in mono blue.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 26, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Iirc Maro said that they’re moving U to tertiary knowledge Vigilance because it can untap its creatures anyway.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Returned to the game on arena this month to see the new set is coming out soon. Is Dominaria Unlimited Draft looking like it will be fun?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

goodness posted:

Returned to the game on arena this month to see the new set is coming out soon. Is Dominaria Unlimited Draft looking like it will be fun?

we just found out all the cards today sooooo, maybe?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The best token

https://twitter.com/peachgardenoaf/status/1563221264835043329?s=21&t=sL4qrNgpfYtY9BBvykVYyg

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Welp, I guess I can't play my locust god brawl deck without making it all counter spells. The card does nothing until you hit 6 mana and untap with it, so I guess that makes sense, I have to win the game before I can cast my commander.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

:(

No obviously good constructed monored stuff we've not seen before unless I'm missing something major. Lightning Strike and Shivan Devastator might be enough to get there, and Phoenix Chick is OK but I was REALLY hoping for a good hasty 2-drop. Devastator doesn't really do that although it's not BAD per se, and it synergises nicely with Thundering Raiju.

Oh well.

Radha’s Firebrand is a playable 2 drop. Squee and the goblin lord might be good once future sets actually put out more goblins, so far we have like 1 legendary goblin from NEO that's playable.

I like the honeycomb pattern on the rocking horse, just adding a bit of light trypophobia in case bee boy wasn't quite creepy enough.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 27, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Algid posted:

Radha’s Firebrand is a playable 2 drop. Squee and the goblin lord might be good once future sets actually put out more goblins, so far we have like 1 legendary goblin from NEO that's playable.

Don't forget Fable of the Mirror Breaker makes two goblins

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Please rate/critic my draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/96afe7ed8a07465fadac9b45a8bf8945

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

goodness posted:

Judging a set's fun potential is basically impossible from spoilers. Kamigawa ended up being one of the best draft formats of the last few years and it definitely wasn't in a foreseeable way based on the card previews.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah. AFR seemed really interesting with the dungeons but it was unbearable to draft. Strixhaven was embarrassing to look at but turned out super fun

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's gonna be real drat funny if both NEO and Domu end up being better 3+ colour draft formats than Capenna

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

5 losses in a row and I drop from 500 down into the percents, on tilt again and I feel like punching myself repeatedly

Edit: ok a turn 3 kill against "Chris Brown" makes me feel better and puts me back over 1200, I guess I really do need some cognitive changes to help me weather variance lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 27, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

P1P2: rare draft? the disciplined choice is eagle but I'd be tempted to take the brawler to get deeper into red
P1P3: regent + dual land does not mean you're in UR. cub is best
P1p4: given my picks I'm on the infiltrator (white has been underdrafted ime). given your picks, I'm on leave in the dust. (as a general remark, the blue "bounce a thing draw a card" type of spells tend to be really good in limited)

our picks diverge pretty widely after that. by the end of pack 1 I'm on RW aggro, you were passed a lot of decent playables in that archetype in the latter half of the draft but instead you mostly picked up a lot of garbage. the packs were weak given your position in UR

I'm not going to go past pack one today because I'm tired. So far it looks like what happened was the classic "pick 1 bomb in color 1, pick 2 rare in colors 1 and 2, pick 3 I've decided I'm colors 1 and 2 for the rest of the draft." my advice is don't rare draft, and use 17Lands to figure out which are the best commons and uncommons in each color because based on your pics it looks like you didn't know the relative power levels of the commons you were seeing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

5 losses in a row and I drop from 500 down into the percents, on tilt again and I feel like punching myself repeatedly

There should be an alarm Bell going off in your head every time you think about self-harm from a video game

competitive spirit can lead to fulfilling experiences, but it can also lead to negative emotional states. I know you're invested in the game and it's great to be passionate, but if you want to make yourself a better player you need to teach yourself better coping strategies

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Algid posted:

I like the honeycomb pattern on the rocking horse, just adding a bit of light trypophobia in case bee boy wasn't quite creepy enough.

PLayable but I'm not wildly convinced it's better than existing options. The 'can't block' effect could be relevant more often that Riveteers Requisitioner's treasure and blitz, maybe? Maybe I'm missing stuff about it though. And monored needs a lot of help right now. It's probably still gonna be iether boros or possibly gruul that makes the aggro decks, I think.

Gobbo tribal would have been lovely if DMU had come out last rotation, when the AFR and ZNR Goblins were still around. That deck was almost excellent (indeed, it was excellent in the pre-rotation queue last time) but it got basically zero ammo after AFR.

But yeah with Squee and the new lord as well I can't see them just abandoning goblins again. Hopefully.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

they're parasitic wasps, that's incredible

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I hope the Wide GW archetype they're pushing is viable in limited. I just loving love having a great big horde of tiny tokens on the board.

Theoretically it could be really synergistic with the SNC equivalents in Standard but board sweepers are prevalent enough that I'm not holding out hope.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

At least Blood on the Snow and Crippling Fear are leaving.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

a lot of the better boardwipes are going this rotation, curious how much that will affect things

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Meathooks for all!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, the best boardwipe printed in like a decade is still around

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
And of course the anti-boardwipe measure added in the set (that GW legendary that can be sacrificed to give tokens indestructible) eats poo poo against Meathook Massacre, the one wipe that's actually prevalent in most decks in its color.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dumb noob question, what is today’s deal? It looks like a blue goblet is that a card style? Sorry playing on mobile and can’t always see explanations for what items are

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

We still have Farewell, Path of Peril, Depopulate, Vanquish the Horde, and Meathook iirc. I am gonna miss Blood on the Snow but since Lolth is leaving anyways whatev. There's so many good cards I'm going to miss but I'm going to miss Deadly Dispute+Shambling Ghast the most. Having an effective 5 mana by turn 3 with extra card draw is busted value.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
are folks thinking about new standard decks and what they might play? i have no idea what has been played or what looks strong post rotation cause i have not been playing arena for a few months now but i am excited for dominaria

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dumb noob question, what is today’s deal? It looks like a blue goblet is that a card style? Sorry playing on mobile and can’t always see explanations for what items are

Card back for if you're tired of looking at the deckmaster logo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

resistentialism posted:

Card back for if you're tired of looking at the deckmaster logo.

Thanks!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Do people actually play standard? I only play explorer and listen to paper magic podcasts where standard is talked about as being basically dead, but I'm guessing people are still playing standard on ladder?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I started playing Arena shortly before the last standard rotation so I don't have much to bring to historic/explorer until I have enough wildcards for the various shocklands and such.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think last time tappedout or somesuch site posted match stats for arena standard was the most played format by quite a bit. In paper there seem to be mostly modern and pioneer events for competitive play around here. There are various weekly events for all formats but not sure which one of those are popular, I only ever do drafts. And then of course there's commander too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

kalel posted:

There should be an alarm Bell going off in your head every time you think about self-harm from a video game

What if I think about committing harm against all these people playing esper sentinels and chalice on 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Does anyone have a standard anti-GW enchantments deck that is also good generally? Would love to get out some frustration.