Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Who would yall say is the strongest of the new warriors of chaos guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the consensus is probably on Festus. Lore of Nurgle is pretty good, Nurgle warriors and chosen are top notch, AI Empire just doesn't comprehend armor and how to defeat and you have the tankiest of boys, also there's Festus himself who's a no-contact required mortis engine (and a stronger one at that) that can be toggled over to an AOE healing aura at will. His only downside on the campaign side of things is that he doesnt have starting access to a Norscan vassal, though if one wanted one could subjugate Hochland or the nearby Greenskins I'm pretty sure by taking their last settlement.

In multiplayer he's by far the strongest.

e: Technically Belakor is a new Warriors of Chaos guy also, and he's just pure filth. So just in terms of pure power you could say him, he's basically a one man doomstack.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 27, 2022

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Randarkman posted:

I think the consensus is probably on Festus. Lore of Nurgle is pretty good, Nurgle warriors and chosen are top notch, AI Empire just doesn't comprehend armor and how to defeat and you have the tankiest of boys, also there's Festus himself who's a no-contact required mortis engine (and a stronger one at that) that can be toggled over to an AOE healing aura at will. His only downside on the campaign side of things is that he doesnt have starting access to a Norscan vassal, though if one wanted one could subjugate Hochland or the nearby Greenskins I'm pretty sure by taking their last settlement.

In multiplayer he's by far the strongest.

e: Technically Belakor is a new Warriors of Chaos guy also, and he's just pure filth. So just in terms of pure power you could say him, he's basically a one man doomstack.
Conversely I had a hell of a time on a Festus start; he's nowhere near vassals so your economy is in the shitter, your mark is "just be a slow piece of poo poo who doesn't die," it felt like dark fortresses were few and far between, and you're in the middle of the usual northern empire slapfight anyone who played Drycha or VC in ME knows all too well. His actual fighting stats were good (switching from healing aura to damage aura is a 'watch everyone in melee with you break' button early on) but once I got to the tactical map it was just death.

But I tried a Vilitch start tonight and it feels like the easy mode I've always wanted, as an idiot who is bad at this game: You start in a corner of the map with impassable terrain to the south (but you have teleport stance so "impassable to Whom" is the question), you get a vassal by turn 2, you start near 4 dark fortresses, 3 of which I got by around a dozen turns, and all the pissed off Cathayans to my south can offer is archers who are weak against all my armoured-and-barriered marked marauders and knights. Also you start with a unit of flying cavalry and a Metal Lore chaos sorc (for their amazingly good weapon buff lore passive + an early vortex spell). Also-also Vilitch himself via Tzeentch lore has a nice aoe leadership/melee attack debuff as early as level 4 which synergizes well with his strategy of "just stand in the middle of guys and laugh and yell at Thomin." ESPECIALLY once you get barrier regen.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Holy christ dude just play them in vanilla

I am playing vanilla, i had to adjust the difficulty settings because it was normal/normal but even then cathays pretty breezy though somehow vilitch has 3 armies behind the bastion and i have no idea how he got there haha.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Was having such a fun time as Be'lakor rampaging around and around Bretonnia like it was daemonic NASCAR as my vassals and a seemingly endless parade of increasingly far-travelled opportunistic factions laid claim to what was left of not-France, only for the Orc End Game Crisis to pop and Grom went from being my one minor settlement buddy to sprouting a bunch of doomstacks and kicking my rear end back to Albion :smith:.

Losing a stack as new WoC really fuckin' hurts in the late game. Luckily I can fall back on Daemons as Be'lakor, but it's gonna drain my soul supplies dry to get back in fighting shape. Meanwhile, Malus is sniffing around my Norscan vassals and Ulthwan managed to turn the tables on N'kari under Avelorn's banner. It's getting hairy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyg8f0/wh1_wh2_wh3_map_compare/

Look at how it's grown. :allears:

It's kind of crazy to look at the WH1 map and realize that's just a small portion of the game, now. drat.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just beat a full stack of grimgor black orcs and bigguns with nothing but zombies. Ghorst is ridiculous.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

The maps just keeping getting smaller and smaller if you're playing gimgrog, thanks a lot IE

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Playing as cathay i can't help but think, goddamn these caravans are so OP until i look at their stops mainly being in the plains of zharr and going oooooh poo poo with chorfs none of these will get through haha. Grimgog has already ganked a few of them and hes plenty distracted so once the chorfs roll up it's gonna be very dark.

Still salty that dwarf warriors don't got charge reflection but there's a mod for that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arghy posted:

Still salty that dwarf warriors don't got charge reflection but there's a mod for that.

This one I actually agree with Arghy on, that would be a neat thing for them to have. It wouldn't solve any problems the Dwarfs have, but I think it would be neat thing for their infantry.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I dunno about strongest, but Archaon seems pretty easy due to his start location - you can basically go in all 3 directions (you're against the northern edge of the map) and meet with dark fortresses and vassals for the taking. I haven't even been using war coordination as much as I should/could have, but it simply takes the pressure off cause the AI has all these stacks to worry about that are friendly to you.

I've just finished subjugating all of Norsca and am finishing off Be'Lakor, and my vassals seem to have overrun the northern empire pretty well by themselves, although to be fair I crushed Kislev in passing.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Archaon is completely surrounded by easily vassalized factions and dark fortresses. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it was a mindlessly easy faction to play, to the point where I got pretty bored. So was Valkia, tbh.

I'll try sack-chin next or the tzeentch guy but to me it just seems like warriors of chaos are really really powerful in general. Great lords and heroes + super tough melee troops + great monsters

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 27, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

KittyEmpress posted:

Belakor. He starts with access to gifts from every god, which is great, and he can basically solo armies. Everything else in his stack is just there to help the battle finish faster. Since he's Undivided you get to play with all the units too and can make your themed generals/heroes or whatever.

Unless you mean the god-specific ones, in which case I think Vilitch is the easiest start, but Festus is probably the strongest once you get going. They're all pretty good and fun to play as though, although I haven't tried Azazel yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok I'm turning this Thorgrim campaign around. Like always in all of these games, I expanded too quickly early on and got invaded from all sides by greenskins and skaven, losing a lot of holds. But Tretch is dead now, the northern green faction has been pushed back and only Wurzag remains as a serious threat. I like the settlement trading mechanic they readded, my new strat is based on building a buffer zone of allies so I don't ovetstretch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

I dunno about strongest, but Archaon seems pretty easy due to his start location - you can basically go in all 3 directions (you're against the northern edge of the map) and meet with dark fortresses and vassals for the taking. I haven't even been using war coordination as much as I should/could have, but it simply takes the pressure off cause the AI has all these stacks to worry about that are friendly to you.

I've just finished subjugating all of Norsca and am finishing off Be'Lakor, and my vassals seem to have overrun the northern empire pretty well by themselves, although to be fair I crushed Kislev in passing.

I was under the impression that the question was about the new LLs, where you can technically count count Belakor even though he's not in the DLC. If you're just talking in general then it's Archaon in the campaign, you can snowball crazy quick and build lots of armies that just auto-resolve decisive wins against anything they encounter, and then Belakor because he himself is just so powerful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing Morathi and the nearby Skaven offer a non aggression treaty with a very funny 420 bucks to seal the deal. They are fighting Hexoatl, I join the war for some pay (also because their stacks are heavily damaged and I want their cities). Earlier some southern empire declared war on me even though they didn't border me. As I start moving into Hexoatl lands and I see one of the empire's stack who is in raid stance running around norsca's lands while the norscans just hide their full stack in the city and just takes it. Then the empire heads up north and sails across the sea to start attacking my settlements.

Anti player bias confirmed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I was under the impression that the question was about the new LLs, where you can technically count count Belakor even though he's not in the DLC. If you're just talking in general then it's Archaon in the campaign, you can snowball crazy quick and build lots of armies that just auto-resolve decisive wins against anything they encounter, and then Belakor because he himself is just so powerful.

Ah, sorry.

Has anyone played Lokhir extensively in IE? I've played him before in WH2 and he's cool, raiding Cathay sounds like fun but I'm not sure how sustainable it is to rely on sacking etc to build up a black ark fleet? I think Dark Elves do well building up some cities as well. Does he have some kind of scripted chance to confederate Karond Kar or anything?

I was also unaware he got a dragon, I thought he was a pure foot lord.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did two short campaigns as lohkir.

You are going to pretend to be england and bring opium to cathay by sailing your black arks up river and taking every port town. And one to the south.

Your main issue will be that your cities won't grow fast and all your exp / troops will be in your black ark. Your blessed dread gets a nice landmark upgrade though.

You will have a chance of getting space near karond kar if you move fast enough. You will not like that spot though as malekith, the cone, the vampirate opera singer, and alinith anar are all there, and will war dec you. Everyone will peace out after a bit but you are in for a fight.

He had a dragon in game 2.

The dark elf slave economy got reworked. You now have 3 diktaks that you can spend slaves on, per province. Each diktak has a global cool down and each province has a province cool down. So you can do 3 different diktaks in 3 different provinces like every 5 turns. They provide control, growth, or 1000 gold.

Your buildings now spend slaves naturally to give a greater income and your slave markets produce some slaves but not enough.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This mod seems like it could be good. Basically it makes it so (at least it's supposed to) that losses in auto-resolve don't always result in the destuction of the losing army (armies that have already retreated or are caught in march stance are still destroyed).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 27, 2022

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Putting Nakai in ambush stance makes him scream so loud its a wonder anyone falls for it!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eastbound Spider posted:

Putting Nakai in ambush stance makes him scream so loud its a wonder anyone falls for it!

Well think about it, if someone were to set up an ambush they would be quiet about it. Since someone is yelling really loudly then clearly there is no ambush going on there, march forward troops!

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
There's absolutely nothing more satisfying in this game than landing a perfectly placed winds of death :allears:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Eastbound Spider posted:

That's just the sound he makes as he chases the army through the trees into the actual ambush.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mantis42 posted:

Ok I'm turning this Thorgrim campaign around. Like always in all of these games, I expanded too quickly early on and got invaded from all sides by greenskins and skaven, losing a lot of holds. But Tretch is dead now, the northern green faction has been pushed back and only Wurzag remains as a serious threat. I like the settlement trading mechanic they readded, my new strat is based on building a buffer zone of allies so I don't ovetstretch.

Thats what I did with Belegar, it works so good to shore up your backside,

Update, Skarsnik tried to ambush me, Skarsnik and his spider were idiots.

Sartosa decided to trespass on my land, I told them to leave, they refused, so I blew up Aranessa with my defensive stack of blast charge miners, I think I'll take her lands and give them to Skrag so he can keep the beastmen and skaven away for me.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 27, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

AtomikKrab posted:

Sartosa decided to trespass on my land, I told them to leave, they refused, so I blew up Aranessa with my defensive stack of blast charge miners, I think I'll take her lands and give them to Skrag so he can keep the beastmen and skaven away for me.

I love that this kind of thing is possible now.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

I did two short campaigns as lohkir.

You are going to pretend to be england and bring opium to cathay by sailing your black arks up river and taking every port town. And one to the south.

Your main issue will be that your cities won't grow fast and all your exp / troops will be in your black ark. Your blessed dread gets a nice landmark upgrade though.

You will have a chance of getting space near karond kar if you move fast enough. You will not like that spot though as malekith, the cone, the vampirate opera singer, and alinith anar are all there, and will war dec you. Everyone will peace out after a bit but you are in for a fight.

He had a dragon in game 2.

The dark elf slave economy got reworked. You now have 3 diktaks that you can spend slaves on, per province. Each diktak has a global cool down and each province has a province cool down. So you can do 3 different diktaks in 3 different provinces like every 5 turns. They provide control, growth, or 1000 gold.

Your buildings now spend slaves naturally to give a greater income and your slave markets produce some slaves but not enough.

Thank you, this is very useful. I must have memory blanked the dragon. Sounds like running around mostly with black arks isn't quite the optimal way to snowball, but could probably work. My aim for any dark elf campaign is to rule Naggaroth, conquer or destroy Ulthuan, and pillage the holy hell out of everywhere else. Fighting in Cathay looks like a nice change of pace and chance to try something new, but I'm not super interested in holding onto the place.

Really neat that his black ark gets a landmark though. I might start campaigns with him and Malus and see who's more fun. In either case one of my long term goals would be to confederate the other. I figure with Malus the coolest thing to do would be just beeline for the Sword of Khaine asap.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tirranek posted:

I love that this kind of thing is possible now.

Ikit just nuked Skrag, and then tried to go back to skavenblight right in the way of my miner stack, This let me do an alliance with Skrag without selling him provinces. Might still give him the land anyway, or maybe sartosa itself once I take the vampirate lair.

Ahahaha so the wood elves were getting together and getting pissy and they broke their non aggression with me. so I had an idea

I sold them the minor settlement next door for money, then I sold them the tilean city for even more money, then I traded a tilean minor for my dwarf hold back and even more money, then the last tilean town for a new pact and money. This is GREAT, the wood elves can deal with the skaven now, and they LOVE ME

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 27, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Golden Order is a pretty hectic start now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is it Grimgor or Grimgrog?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Ikit just nuked Skrag, and then tried to go back to skavenblight right in the way of my miner stack, This let me do an alliance with Skrag without selling him provinces. Might still give him the land anyway, or maybe sartosa itself once I take the vampirate lair.

Ahahaha so the wood elves were getting together and getting pissy and they broke their non aggression with me. so I had an idea

I sold them the minor settlement next door for money, then I sold them the tilean city for even more money, then I traded a tilean minor for my dwarf hold back and even more money, then the last tilean town for a new pact and money. This is GREAT, the wood elves can deal with the skaven now, and they LOVE ME

What good engagement with the diplomacy functions! I have never thought to do anything like this, I mostly just expand where I want and my two states of diplomatic relations to my neighbours are 'armed neutrality' and 'trying to conquer them'. When neighbours are friendly to me I just treat it as permission to ignore them for now. I should think about it more. It doesn't help that with great power penalties, every faction outside your culture seems to declare war eventually.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

What good engagement with the diplomacy functions! I have never thought to do anything like this, I mostly just expand where I want and my two states of diplomatic relations to my neighbours are 'armed neutrality' and 'trying to conquer them'. When neighbours are friendly to me I just treat it as permission to ignore them for now. I should think about it more. It doesn't help that with great power penalties, every faction outside your culture seems to declare war eventually.

That is why you ally with them as enough atrocities against the same enemies will keep them very happy with you.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I got the Dwarf end times event and I've been going from "This isn't so bad" to "Oh my god they just keep coming!" for the last 20 turns now.

Not sure why I thought the armies were static, but they can recruit more troops! Be careful out there.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is it Grimgor or Grimgrog?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Factions recognize treaties and good relations with others of their cultures, so keeping Orion happy with me helps keep the other wood elves from getting angry. I'm one battle away from completing the queek grudge (still got to wipe him out later). Skarsnik is gone now after I stomped on him and took his stuff

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Settlement trading really does add a welcome dash of heroism to Order factions and how they interact with each other.

I'm enjoying sending Tyrion out to drive the Norscans out of Lustria, then immediately bestowing it back to a surprised but grateful Madzamundi and sailing off into the sunset. Next I'll see how the Empire is doing (by the looks of things...not well.)

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It's kind of funny how VALKIA THE BLOODY (and any of the WoCs, I'm guessing) can end up being a big friend to random minor factions by bulldozing the major powers and letting tribes, rebels and rogue armies move in on the ruins.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Where are vassals for Festus? March back to Norsca?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finally got a handle on how to play again (not a jinx) and having some fun with Ikit. The Skaven gunline is incredible fun.

I have a question about undercities though, and specifically the mine that spreads them. Do I only need one per region, or do I need to make one in every province to propagate them properly and then go back later and dismantle older ones as I spread outward?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I appreciate that they animated the Warshrine's shrine keeper climbing halfway down to attack in person. Would have been easy to just leave him up there doing his cheering animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

peer posted:

I appreciate that they animated the Warshrine's shrine keeper climbing halfway down to attack in person. Would have been easy to just leave him up there doing his cheering animations

Oh that sounds lovely, can't wait to get around to my WoC run or two. Was having a lot of fun admiring Khalida's animations this run, her giant snake mount has cool unique attacks too like ram and looping coils or spitting a massive cone of poison into a crowd. :allears: