Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it had ties to Hollywood they couldn't have been that strong since they're still all about scientology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Speaking of which, are the Children of God cult still around? I remember hearing how Joaquin and River Phoenix had been members, and Winona Ryder too. Did it have many ties to hollywood, or was that just a coincidence?

I still regularly listen to their banging albums so they live in my heart. I hear they are big in Pitcairn Island

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They are extremely bad, by the way. I enjoy their crazy music videos, but they abuse their children in horrible ways.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Children of God are known as The Family International now. They're still active, claiming 1,450 members.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cults have a tendency to peak at some point around or shortly after the original founder dies and just kinda linger around for a while, unable to recruit anything like they used to while still holding onto remaining influence. Scientology never really recovered from the Chanology poo poo.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thomamelas posted:

That's not entirely true. Given how many sex cults came out of the Hippie movement, lots of dudes thought about "How do I use this free love thing to make a harem." And good lord did so many dudes go that exact route.

My dad was born in the mid-50s, and always used to tell me that all of the guys attached to the hippy movement were just in it to get laid.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Just like "not all guys" guys

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

My dad was born in the mid-50s, and always used to tell me that all of the guys attached to the hippy movement were just in it to get laid.

Hippy has become a lazy over broad category that lumps together a bunch of different groups.
My mother, who was born in the 40s, told me years ago that what most people think of as hippies now were called Flower Children at the time and in her experience the main defining trait of Hippies proper was that they smoked weed constantly and rarely, if ever, washed. Also lumped in these days are groups like the Diggers who were more focused on actually doing useful things for their communities.
Also so-called hippies in other parts of the world, like the UK, France and Italy, were much more about direct action than their US counterparts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought flower children were the children of hippies, most of who would grow up and reject the hippie lifestyle.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
The term was picked up by the media in '67 so those Hippies must have been breeding really, really young if so.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Isn't whole hippie thing blown way, way out of proportions? Because if I remember correctly, you could live the whole sixties on San Francisco and never meet a hippie.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I imagine it is a bit like "Christian nationalist" where a very small percentage (~2%) of people define themselves that way but depending on how you define them it could be closer to 25% of the population.

In my mind everyone who supports Trump is a Christian Nationalist just like how in Archie Bunker's mind everyone who opposes the war in 'nam or is just plain younger than 30 is a hippy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought flower children were the children of hippies, most of who would grow up and reject the hippie lifestyle.

Flower children were a subset of hippies, associated with flower power and the summer of love at Haight-Ashbury, which then was applied to hippies in general.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Modern Hippies are called "Burners" and that subculture is rife with sex-pests, capitalists, transphobes, racists, etc. BUT they practice "radical inclusion" so it's all OK!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Isn't whole hippie thing blown way, way out of proportions? Because if I remember correctly, you could live the whole sixties on San Francisco and never meet a hippie.

Yeah pretty much. As one of my friends said of her mother's experience of 60s Swinging London, "She wasn't going to Carnaby Street, wearing Mary Quant and getting high at happenings, she was a single mother living in a lovely high rise and working two jobs just to survive".

Desert Bus posted:

Modern Hippies are called "Burners" and that subculture is rife with sex-pests, capitalists, transphobes, racists, etc. BUT they practice "radical inclusion" so it's all OK!

As someone who was involved in the UK Free Festival scene in the 80s the self-indulgent comfortable middle-class privilege and shameless conspicuous consumption of the Burning Man shite loving sickens me. As Bob Calvert put it "You took my dream and canned it".

EmptyVessel has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Aug 17, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm a disabled person and interacting with the Burning Man scene and watching them trip over themselves to explain how no REALLY they are actually inclusive and i'm just wrong is loving sickening while they suck down capitalist and anti-abelist ideals.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I should also point out all of these views of hippies and what X decade was like is usually viewed from the white middle class lens.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The Hippie movement died in 1988 when Pickard got arrested and the LSD supply dried up.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
A huge number of Jam Band hippies are like, conservative men and women that manage at corporate restaurant chains or work as beer/liquor/wine reps that may have tattoos and probably do drugs

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The scary Repub skeleton woman whose name I can't recall LOVES The Grateful Dead.

EDIT: Ann Coulter

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Aug 18, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm near the end of Wuthering Heights, which is a really cool read, but a word came up that surprised me in a literary piece that's around 200 years old - the word "Sequel". I didn't realise that word was that old. They describe the story of Heathcliffe's death and the time leading up to it as "Heathcliffe's story's strange sequel"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Older than that even. I think it shows up in the 1500s and then probably even earlier In French

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Wuthering Heights posted:

Catherine surveyed him with grief and astonishment: she changed the ejaculation of joy on her lips to one of alarm; and the congratulation on their long-postponed meeting to an anxious inquiry, whether he were worse than usual?

I swear there's some line in there that talks about the dog ejaculating, too. There's at least three different ejaculations in that book. I remember because I was in my 20s when I read it and huh huh huh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watson used to ejaculate at Holmes all the time, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sequel used to be how people would describe something that comes after something else or subsequent events relevant to something being described, not necessarily a text that continues a story begun in an earlier text. It’s the sense preserved in the medical use of “sequelae.”

It’s like how novel meant “a thing that is a novelty” or “a new thing” when used as a noun, but now only refers to one specific thing that was once a novelty.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm near the end of Wuthering Heights, which is a really cool read

Is there another Wuthering Heights that I've missed out on? I've only read the Emily Bronte one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Elissimpark posted:

Is there another Wuthering Heights that I've missed out on? I've only read the Emily Bronte one.

yeah the Kate Bush version is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Elissimpark posted:

Lots of people like Wuthering Heights.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

HopperUK posted:

Lots of people like Wuthering Heights.

I know, though I don't know why. It feels like a style of novel that was very popular at the time, but is at odds with modern (or post-modern or super-modern) tastes, but never quite dropped completely out of the canon.

In short, I was making a joke about a book that I personally found annoying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think reactions to it vary depending on whether you feel you're supposed to like the characters or go 'boy, these people are hosed up'. Ends up basically being a story about generational abuse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was in the latter camp myself, by the end being astonished to the depths of depravity that Heathcliffe went to just to hurt someone who he'd perceived a mild sleight from. At least the Earnshaws' kind of earned his ire, but the Linton's were not nearly so deserving. In a way the Earnshaw family (counting Heathcliffe among them through adoption) were basically leeches, clinging onto the Linton family and draining them of everything they had from Catherine Earnshaw trying to use Edgar to help raise Heathcliffe out of a bad situation, which was understandable, to Heathcliffe forcing a marriage in a deranged landgrab, ruining what should have been Cathy and Linton's only source of joy in the whole miserable situation. I did like that the book ends with Cathy refusing to let Heathcliffe have his way with them anymore and secretly helping Hareham educate himself out of the terrible position Heathcliffe put him into, and then Heathcliffe's death allowing them to finally try to undo the harm that he did them in life without worrying about him looking over their shoulders anymore. Spoilered because while it's a 200 year old book, many people have probably not read it and I only just got around to it myself.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i completely hated wuthering heights when i read it in school and i've been meaning to give it another go to see if i like it better not under duress. but then i remember the maid's transcribed accent

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

moonmazed posted:

i completely hated wuthering heights when i read it in school and i've been meaning to give it another go to see if i like it better not under duress. but then i remember the maid's transcribed accent

It was Joseph the overly religious groundskeeper that had the accent, the maid was fine in my experience.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
oops you're right, guess i do need a refresh :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like some of the insults and threats, there were some fun moments, like when Heathcliffe has married Isabella and she finally escapes him years later, and has this speech after she deliberately piled problems on him when he was emotionally vulnerable just to hurt him back, and she's like "I'd rather he'd have suffered LESS, have it be all my doing and have him know it. If I could take an eye for every eye, a tooth for every tooth and inflict every pain upon him that he inflicted upon me, then maybe I might be sated. I owe him so much. But because I cannot inflict upon him the level of pain he inflicted upon me, I can not just forgive him." It's paraphrased from a longer passage, but it's a really great moment.

Also when Cathy is arguing with Linton after seeing what a pathetic, sickly little coward he's become as he tries to stop her leaving and going back to her father's house after their romance sours, and she says something like "You are in no danger here... but if you try to get in my way again... Linton, I love papa MORE than you."

Generally the dialog was really satisfying in those moments.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elissimpark posted:

I know, though I don't know why. It feels like a style of novel that was very popular at the time, but is at odds with modern (or post-modern or super-modern) tastes, but never quite dropped completely out of the canon.

In short, I was making a joke about a book that I personally found annoying.

If you don't like that kind of novel and do like making jokes about them, read Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. It's a deliberate parody of the genre written with extreme tongue in cheek by its most famous and best loved author.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hey, I'm wuthering here!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I swear there's some line in there that talks about the dog ejaculating, too. There's at least three different ejaculations in that book. I remember because I was in my 20s when I read it and huh huh huh

There was a period where authors decided you couldn't use the word "said" repeatedly and "ejaculated" was one of the go to synonyms, for some reason.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

'Cranford' is also a really funny parody of 'those simple passionate country folk' stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Moon Monster posted:

There was a period where authors decided you couldn't use the word "said" repeatedly and "ejaculated" was one of the go to synonyms, for some reason.

Well! Said rhymes with bed which of course brings to mind unseemly connotations of the procreative act.
Ejaculation, however, is completely free of any such unpleasantness