Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WhatEvil posted:

People on average probably had better/more secure access to food during rationing than in 2022 in Britain anyway, and things are about to get much worse.

The first part sounds truly bizarre to me, but I'm not experiencing day to day post brexit life, so,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The first part sounds truly bizarre to me, but I'm not experiencing day to day post brexit life, so,

The entire system of rationing relied on a functional government capable of ensuring its citizens had enough to eat (but not much more). You start to see the problem with 2022 Britain in comparison?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382695/uk-foodbank-users/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Something to consider between then and now is that Winston Churchill thought landlords were parasites and a stain on humanity. The modern tories have a different view.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not either but I'm still aware of what's going on:

https://twitter.com/c4dispatches/status/1200927491134820353

Heartbreaking.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if food bank donations dry up too simply because a lot of people who were contributing will no longer be able to afford to.

E: (This post isn't a dig at you btw, I appreciate not everybody, even many many people living in the UK still don't grasp how much poverty is an issue in the UK.)

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 26, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Schools going back in 10 days is actually good news for lots of parents, since it means they don't have to pay as much for their children's breakfasts, as long as there's a Breakfast Club or similar at their childrens' school.
And some schools will fully comp the cost for the most needy families (although schools are getting turbo-hosed this year, so who knows if that'll continue).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

E: (This post isn't a dig at you btw, I appreciate not everybody, even many many people living in the UK still don't grasp how much poverty is an issue in the UK.)

Or like one of my co-workers refuses to believe it because a foodbank that a friend of hers worked at, apparently a group of travellers came in and just cleared the shelves*. Therefore there is no real poverty requiring foodbanks and people who use them are either can't manage a budget or are cheating.

*many foodbank volunteers are little old ladies in their 60s & 70s so no way would they have challenged them.

**I am in my 60s but I am not a little old lady.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1563157831184191489?cxt=HHwWgsDU-f7wubErAAAA
how long do we reckon before PM Truss decides the reclamation of Calais is just the ticket to distract the nation from the energy crisis?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1563157831184191489?cxt=HHwWgsDU-f7wubErAAAA
how long do we reckon before PM Truss decides the reclamation of Calais is just the ticket to distract the nation from the energy crisis?

Agincourt 2: Brexit Boogaloo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Truss going to ban onions and deport the cast of Allo Allo as her first act as PM.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Kieth playing dress up

Am thinking it might be fake - that long blade of grass in the front looks a bit suss.

Nope - it seems to be real: https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/20775010.sir-kier-starmer-visits-army-personnel-salisbury-plain/

Mike Pence vibes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Convex posted:

Agincourt 2: Brexit Boogaloo

Picking the one battle in the late war that the English unambiguously won.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Picking the one battle in the late war that the English unambiguously won.

This may explain why it was the one that came to mind. Checking Wikipedia and yeah there's some war crimes alright

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Charles I was the first post-Classical head of state to be formally charged as a war criminal, so anything prior to that is just sparkling disproportionality.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

This may explain why it was the one that came to mind. Checking Wikipedia and yeah there's some war crimes alright

The British don't do War Crimes :colbert:

We come in peace to rule with a fair, kindly, compassionate, democratic heart.

:blastu: shoot to kill

Oh. I think I just committed Treason. :guillotine:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

sparkling disproportionality.

the new essence from michael gove?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No that's

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This reads like the start of one of those M&S food ads :v:

edit: also I have realised I have only myself to blame for the mental image of michael gove's extracted bodily fluids being sprayed across a human body. Time to get back to The Sinking City I guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I started reading from the middle so I thought the label was what sort of aquatic creature you wanted to attract and assumed that "secret mix" does in fact get you deep ones, but then I saw cheese and was disappointed and/or annoyed that nobody told me you could fish for cheese.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I started reading from the middle so I thought the label was what sort of aquatic creature you wanted to attract and assumed that "secret mix" does in fact get you deep ones, but then I saw cheese and was disappointed and/or annoyed that nobody told me you could fish for cheese.

No but you can cheese for fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNqiFxUZxk0

Even better, you can HUGE cheese for fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ue3TbNLJc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1563102471878488064

Comrade new statesman apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No but you can cheese for fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNqiFxUZxk0

Even better, you can HUGE cheese for fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ue3TbNLJc

I think I am now going to forever imagine you as wearing a "women love me, fish fear me" hat.

Or possibly the more memey version, possibly on a metal band t shirt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cheese fishing works if you're bold enough.

OwlFancier posted:

Comrade new statesman apparently.
Still not as good as the market capex article from a few years back that went "Hey, did you know that from an investment perspective the UK could buy out every private rental in the UK and let them at below market rates and still spend less than the big government currently spends on housing benefits? Wild, huh."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think I am now going to forever imagine you as wearing a "women love me, fish fear me" hat.

Or possibly the more memey version, possibly on a metal band t shirt.

Now which song is that. Muse is the band I think.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We come in peace to rule with a fair, kindly, compassionate, democratic heart.

:blastu: shoot to kill

Oh. I think I just committed Treason. :guillotine:

Brits sooo good they did Bloody Sunday twice! :lol:

1920 Dublin, 1972 Derry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

1920 Dublin, 1972 Derry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_war_crimes

We did lots and I don't understand why the right, so proud of British history, want to bury our glorious past.

Cheese fishing chat:

Cheese Fishing by J R Hartley Farm Cheese www . hartley-farm . co . uk/product-tag/cheese/ (Ed: took the link out in case the farm shop doesn't want to be associated with a bunch of commies).

(For those ITT old enough to recognise the analogy).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 27, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

1920 Dublin, 1972 Derry.
Very unfair summary. Completely ignores the Burning of Cork in December 1920. Even if it did technically start on Saturday night when the buildings were set alight it was Sunday morning when the Tans and Auxiliaries shot the firefighters trying to pull the people out.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://netpol.org/2022/08/26/jury-acquits-bristol-protester-who-fought-back-against-police-violence/

quote:

A jury in Bristol took under an hour to unanimously acquit Ailsa Rauh of violent disorder and affray on 25th August. Ailsa was the latest person to face trial following the uprising in Bristol on 21st March 2021 when people gathered to both remember Sarah Everard and to protest against the draconian Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act.

Those on the streets in Bristol on the 21st March, and at subsequent protests, faced sustained violent attacks from police. This included the use of ‘blading’ – using the edge of shields as weapons to hit people; CS spray, dogs, and baton strikes. A report by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Democracy and the Constitution found that Avon and Somerset Police “failed to distinguish between violent and peaceful protestors, leading to the use of force in unjustified situations”. It highlighted how multiple witnesses described this as “revenge policing”.

However, “revenge policing” extended beyond the night in question. Ailsa, like the most of the other defendants was initially charged with riot – the most serious public order charge. This over-charging was designed to frighten people from protest and deter them from fighting back against violent policing operations.

“I just wanted it to stop”
Giving evidence, Ailsa said that:

“The poice were a lot more threatening [than us]. I wish I could have worn a body cam to show what it was acutually like and how we felt…I felt very let down by the [police] violence I saw that day. I didn’t want to cause harm. I just wanted it to stop”.

Hussain Hassan from Commons solicitors who represented Alisa stated:

“Ailsa took to the streets with others in March 2021 to exercise her human right to protest. Despite witnessing those around her be injured by the actions of Avon and Somerset Police, she herself was charged with riot. After 17 months, she has been acquitted of all charges after trial. We are grateful that the correct decision was reached by the jury and that Ailsa can now move on with her life. With thanks to Owen Greenhall of Garden Court Chambers and everyone at Bristol Defendant Solidarity and Bristol ABC for their valuable work and support throughout the process”.

Self-defence is not an offence
Ailsa’s acquittal is an important reminder that self-defence is not an offence and that we we do have a legal right to fight back against violent and disproportionate policing.

However, it’s also important to extend our solidarity to everyone charged and imprisoned as a result of the protests on 21st March. Celebrating Ailsa’s acquittal does not mean condemning those who were either found, or pleaded guilty, for their actions in the uprising.

As attacks on our rights increase, our fight to #DefendDissent cannot end on the streets. It has to continue in the courts and in supporting those imprisoned. It’s through this collective solidarity, and refusing to be divided into good and bad protesters, that we can fight back and win against violent policing and draconian laws.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We have two chemists in town - Boots and Lloyds. The latter lost their inhouse pharmacist a few months back and has been relying on a shrinking floating pool of visiting pharmacists for them to open. More times than not, they get let down and cannot open, resulting in many people not being able to get their prescriptions.

I've taken great pleasure in the local facebook group explaining that there's a huge nationwide shortage of pharmacists, and that we've made the country unenticing for foreign workers to fill those gaps. I've also loudly highlighted the fact that it takes 5 years to train a pharmacist, and we don't even have enough university places to begin to fill the vacuum, so the situation isn't going to improve until at least 2027. But most of all, I highlighted that the shortages are a direct result of Brexit, and reminded the town that they ultimately voted for this, and to ask them imagine how angry those who didn't vote to leave are feeling. That was quite schadenfreudic...

In other health news, my resting HR started spiking to 180bpm+ this evening, resulting in a rare call to NHS 111. I haven't used the service since the covid days. The call handler was great, and I was put on an emergency list to be contact by the out of hours GP within 2 hours. That was at 10:30pm.... It's now 3:11am, and the call handler phoned an hour ago apologising for the delays, and suggested I go to bed with the phone close by, and to dial 999 if I think my life is in danger.

My HR is back to normalish levels now, which is good... but loving hell, is our health system broken to gently caress :(

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 27, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

We have two chemists in town - Boots and Lloyds. The latter lost their inhouse pharmacist a few months back and has been relying on a shrinking floating pool of visiting pharmacists for them to open. More times than not, they get let down and cannot open, resulting in many people not being able to get their prescriptions.

I've taken great pleasure in the local facebook group explaining that there's a huge nationwide shortage of pharmacists, and that we've made the country unenticing for foreign workers to fill those gaps. I've also loudly highlighted the fact that it takes 5 years to train a pharmacist, and we don't even have enough university places to begin to fill the vacuum, so the situation isn't going to improve until at least 2027. But most of all, I highlighted that the shortages are a direct result of Brexit, and reminded the town that they ultimately voted for this, and to ask them imagine how angry those who didn't vote to leave are feeling. That was quite schadenfreudic...

In other health news, my resting HR started spiking to 180bpm+ this evening, resulting in a rare call to NHS 111. I haven't used the service since the covid days. The call handler was great, and I was put on an emergency list to be contact by the out of hours GP within 2 hours. That was at 10:30pm.... It's now 3:11am, and the call handler phoned an hour ago apologising for the delays, and suggested I go to bed.

My HR is back to normalish levels now, which is good... but loving hell, is our health system broken to gently caress :(

Hope you're ok.

I used that service or whatever the equivalent was back in around 2003 when I had acute shooting pains up and down my left arm, my heart dancing the fandango, and a sensation like a huge stone in my chest. Called at 1030pm, no call back for over 2 hours when they said 'call an ambulance'. Anyway, won't bore you with the details, but I spent 9 hours on a trolley wired up to a heart monitor before being diagnosed with acute costochondritis which does a bloody good impression of a heart attack.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/Th3Sheesh/status/1560356067611140104?t=sfEYE2Yu_-ptXut8mKdOwg&s=19

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I finally got my emergency phone call at 5:30am, 7 hours after I called them, however I was very much asleep and didn't get to the phone in time. The doctor is apparently going to attempt another two times, but I have no idea when those two times will be.... I guess I'm going to have to stay awake then.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HI HELLO SORRY

I got into a huge Rimworld modding spree and forgot to check this thread again

So many people have been so nice about my progress, just wanted to thank you all!

On a more germane note, watching the ongoing dissolution of every single governmental/civic function that there is, is quite a thing to behold.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zahawi is reported in today's Telegraph saying that middle class (the horror!) people will have to cut back on energy use - wonder if there will be any self reflection on 12 years of policies leading to a collapse in insulation rates and falling way behind Europe on the uptake of more efficient heating systems

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Finally got my telephone call from the exhausted sounding GP at 8:20am, 10 hours after I called NHS111. She was brilliant, and I told her as much, and is going to be contacting my local medical centre to get me seen this morning.

Our NHS is loving amazing. I'm going to be sad when it's totally gone :(

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m off to get married today! Nice to have something exciting in the middle of all this *gestures around* everything.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
It really feels like there's going to be one absolutely heart-rending story during all this (my prediction: 3 generations of one family freezing/starving to death) that will splash all the headlines, and a new law will be passed with the name of the dead to ensure that this will "never happen again", and it will be good for some but too late for them.

Hate that it's so obvious that the system is about to catastrophically fail, and it's just "Welp we'll need to wait and see" from the govt & opposition. Sad.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Something to consider between then and now is that Winston Churchill thought landlords were parasites and a stain on humanity. The modern tories have a different view.

Yeah I'm not sure if Churchill still thought that when he was older; if he did, what kind of priority it had in his thoughts; and if he did prioritise it, whether any of the actual powers that be behind the Conservative party, e.g. the royals and other aristocrats, gave a poo poo about his opinion

Tories have always been the landlords party for the landlords by the landlords, one tory accidentally having a decent opinion at one point in their life doesn't make any of it (or him) actually any good

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
On a more local note, there's now a proposal to setup a £5 congestion charge in Cambridge, to pay for an expansion of the bus services and subsidizing £1/£2 fares. In theory it sounds "ok", however the proposed charge zone applies to the entire city (and then some) between 7am and 7pm and given rents have gone up by like 20%+ since 2020, there's plenty of people that have moved away so they could afford housing that will be hit by this.

The bus services are also provided by Stagecoach, which is about as reliable as Starmer. So basically this is just going to price more people and small businesses off the city. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cambridge is so loving stupid: a world class university and a thriving centre of hi-tech industry, crammed into the footprint of a medieval city and surrounded by hundreds of square miles of empty fields.