Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Fruited kettle sours aren't so hard to make. I sorta shot myself in the foot with the formulation Frankensteining a milkshake IPA and a smoothie sour together so there's a ton of hops in the tank along with the fruit puree and getting the timing right and then getting a clean run off for packaging causes more issues. If I just added puree to a Berliner or gose it'd be simple enough. I actually like a nice simple fruited kettle sour. I'm not a fan of lactose, but it sells and that's fine. I always inadvertently sorta complain about popular styles when I complain about this beer but really it's more about there being a ton of finicky dumb issues with it. I really want to make my umeboshi gose again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Found out during a department call that recently offers were made to six different people for project management positions, and they all turned down the offers. Couldn’t possibly be that the company has completely slashed all benefits to the bone, is a hybrid 2 days a week in the office, and is relying heavily on a 15% annual bonus to even start to approach reasonable pay. And the response is just to change nothing and keep posting.

The company is now gearing up for an employee survey in September. With the amount of unfilled open positions, and the general feeling that the executives are trying to prep for 100% in the office, I expect this survey to not go well. I am looking forward to watching the executives spin the hell out of the results, or just outright ignoring the responses.

To the company’s minimal credit, it has payed equal to or greater than the baseline annual bonus the 7 years I have been there. But in a 1 step forward, 2 steps back, the metrics are usually hit for a 1.7x bonus payment, but the board typically limits it to a 1.2x payout. For extra fun, that not only reduces actual money, it also reduces 401k profit sharing as that is based on bonus payout levels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why do you work there?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I work there because I am just old enough to be grandfathered in to some benefits still. I get a small cash balance retirement fund contribution. And if I am still there 15ish years, I qualify for some extra yearly money for medical insurance at retirement.

Also, up until July of this year, I had been in operations for 20 years. So while I could get another job elsewhere, it would require moving to be working shift work on-site at another utility. There are some rather strict rules physical and cyber security rules that require that. Early this year I had applied to various jobs in somewhat nearby cities, and my pay requirements to move ended up being a little too high. The company pays operators reasonably well, and I transitioned into my new promotion position above the midpoint of the pay band.

My new, now current, position has me on a straight daytime position that is a subject matter expert submitting outages for the PMs that have no clue. I luckily live 8 miles from my office location, so while going in to the office is boring, it is not a horrible commute.

Generally, my wife and I like our home and neighborhood. My oldest kid just started school, and my wife would have a little difficulty finding a new job in a new city. So moving was a bit of a hard sell. In a year or two if the company continues its slide, I will start looking for remote work, now that I have something other than just operations work under my belt. Some PM adjacent work should hopefully give me some options outside of utilities.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

My work had the town PD over yesterday for training. Apparently to know the layout in case there's ever an 'incident'?
IDK, the corporate emails were not clear on this

Surely they can figure out where to loiter outside on their phones with a simple drive by.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

We're so short on a component vs. lead time right now that we have a production schedule that accounts for 1pc remaining. So far so good, and they made sure to tell people to not splice that part and just run it. It's a very, very tiny resistor though, so lol let's see how it goes.
While back we were doing the last run of a board that was leaving and I saw the machine was rejecting a critical part that we had a wiggle of like 1200pc on. We had thrown out 280 before we even noticed and actually fixed it over the course of 3 hours, then I went dumpster diving in the trash and found out the operator on 2nd shift threw away... a lot of them. A lot. They had to take apart scrapped boards in storage to finish it off I believe.

I am dumb as hell and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. Are you making computers or or ironing boards or spaceships?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

I am dumb as hell and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. Are you making computers or or ironing boards or spaceships?

circuitboards

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MrQwerty posted:

circuitboards

Are they for ironing boards or spaceships?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Could be either.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

I hate this smoothie sour IPA monstrosity. It'd be less of an issue if pretty much every step of the process wasn't such a major pain in the loving rear end and/or I didn't hate the beer itself. Why is this poo poo popular?

I knew my current job was a winner when they asked me what styles I didn't want to brew and I immediately said "milkshake IPA/sour" and everybody on the other side of the table breathed a sigh of relief. We're famous for our hazy IPAs and have won tons of awards for them, but nobody wants to add lactose and fruit to that poo poo. And I get a lot of leeway to brew lagers and English styles too, as long as the other brewer and I pump out plenty of IPAs for that crowd. In fact, we're in the middle of Hell Week right now, since it's fresh hop season and we just did four fresh hop brewdays in a row.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ok now hear me out... I have a new suggestion on dealing with a bad boss:

https://twitter.com/loveandshalom/status/1563277139876933633?s=21&t=fNKjFtsUM_Tk81NaVYQojA

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The office door is too small for an elephant so I'm safe for now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Manager spotted

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pressure washed the brewery today. Oddly satisfying stuff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

Manager spotted

I stared too long into the abyss.

The closest elephant is 100km through some mountains, come at me Babar I'm ready.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MrQwerty posted:

We're so short on a component vs. lead time right now that we have a production schedule that accounts for 1pc remaining. So far so good, and they made sure to tell people to not splice that part and just run it. It's a very, very tiny resistor though, so lol let's see how it goes.
While back we were doing the last run of a board that was leaving and I saw the machine was rejecting a critical part that we had a wiggle of like 1200pc on. We had thrown out 280 before we even noticed and actually fixed it over the course of 3 hours, then I went dumpster diving in the trash and found out the operator on 2nd shift threw away... a lot of them. A lot. They had to take apart scrapped boards in storage to finish it off I believe.

Just in Time delivery was already pretty bad poo poo, and we all know how that policy ended up just murdering some industries that had no supply of components. One of the less obvious effects of the pandemic, though, was companies just completely abandoning things that were on their way out at a much faster pace or just quietly ending production of unpopular parts. Vishay, TE, Omni, Ohmite and others all cut the range of resistors they offered so they could focus on the core sales or limited production to things they had long term orders for. Before I took my current job I was spending a dozen hours a week trying to find alternate parts to ones that weren't in production or suggesting a change to something that was juuuusssttt out of the range of what we had installed initially. We had one resistor that is only made by this one Chinese company who had bought the design and part number rights from the OEM. Whenever I had time I would see if I could find a replacement for it because we used a few thousand a year on projects we considered low risk/lead time because it was one of our constantly reproduced systems. There are even now no parts that match the exact specs of that resistor and even the company that makes it now gave up on production outside of special orders almost a year ago. I finally got my wish for a new design that got away from this resistor when it became obvious that it was going to cause us to have indefinite lead time on a program that gave us two months to purchase, incorporate and build another 6 assemblies. The designer then promptly selected an off the shelf resistor that was EOL.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

woke kaczynski posted:

Figma (balls!!!!)

You have no idea how delighted I am to know that someone else is also brain damaged in this one particular way.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Stupid loving company burning everyone the gently caress out. Multiple people on burnout leave and others basically prepping their resignations. I'm basically looking for an exit despite this being the highest paid job I've ever had and likely to be offered a promotion when my manager leaves or a raise when I inform them I'm looking to leave. Been taking the paycheck as long as I can but it's seriously loving depressing at this point how much I don't enjoy what I'm doing lol.

Tell me I'm making the right choice... The money is so good but the job succcccckkkkssssssss and I don't respect these people at all

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eh ride the grift train as long as you can, doing as little as possible, while looking for your next job

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

Eh ride the grift train as long as you can, doing as little as possible, while looking for your next job

Yeah that's pretty much it.

But now I'm so burnt I'm actually terrified to jump right into something else because of how fried I feel all the time. Doesn't "help" that I might have a lead on a possible career change that I know I won't get another chance at any time soon, but they are looking to fill the slot in the short to medium term and I could really use a few months of downtime to reset my weary brain.

Gonna be some tough decisions to make in the next few weeks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my job is highly demanding and very stressful but holy crap its leagues better when i had a job that sounded like what you describe.

I stayed there 17 friggin years.

please dont do that. It will never be a good time, you are never going to feel 100 percent about it, but ask people you trust hey, should i quit my job? and i bet all the people who care about you will line the gently caress up to tell you why you should.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ben shapino posted:

Tell me I'm making the right choice... The money is so good but the job succcccckkkkssssssss and I don't respect these people at all

Heed the words of the wise guru, he who has seen some poo poo, and will impart his wisdom upon you.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgljyrIx681r0uzl6.mp4

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Heed the words of the wise guru, he who has seen some poo poo, and will impart his wisdom upon you.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgljyrIx681r0uzl6.mp4

The thing is I already feel like I've been doing that and it's not enough to really keep me going for much longer. So yeah I guess we'll see if I throw in the towel in the near future or not.

I'm also pretty much friends with my direct manager so while he goes super easy on me there is a certain level of bare minimum that we have to do so that we don't mess things up too much for eachother and he can have something to turn around and go to his bosses with. We've both been kind of checking out for a while now, but in the long run, checking out is just checking out - leaving is the next logical step.

ben shapino fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 29, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been at those jobs and it's indeed soul crushing. I hated managers, coworkers, everything related to that job.
I took a pay cut to get out.
But I also used my time wisely I guess. The bosses loved micromanaging everyone, including screen checks to see you were working. We had literal instructions to "look busy".
I finished up my undergrad and got my Masters in EE during those 4 years and it allowed me to escape to my dream job. which I quit after over ten years and another grad degree for a much higher paying job in another state

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've been at those jobs and it's indeed soul crushing. I hated managers, coworkers, everything related to that job.
I took a pay cut to get out.
But I also used my time wisely I guess. The bosses loved micromanaging everyone, including screen checks to see you were working. We had literal instructions to "look busy".
I finished up my undergrad and got my Masters in EE during those 4 years and it allowed me to escape to my dream job. which I quit after over ten years and another grad degree for a much higher paying job in another state

Tell me that you're hourly without telling me that you're hourly

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
salaried

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ben shapino posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it.

But now I'm so burnt I'm actually terrified to jump right into something else because of how fried I feel all the time. Doesn't "help" that I might have a lead on a possible career change that I know I won't get another chance at any time soon, but they are looking to fill the slot in the short to medium term and I could really use a few months of downtime to reset my weary brain.

Gonna be some tough decisions to make in the next few weeks.

Do people still negotiate later start dates to take a break between jobs? Now would be a good time of year to do all the interviewing, work out the resignation period and take some time off before starting in the new year.

What I am a lot more sure about is that if the open offer is in a non time-hogging, genuinely supportive environment, your mental health tends to improve very fast and you can survive for a while before taking a break sometime next year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ben shapino posted:

Stupid loving company burning everyone the gently caress out. Multiple people on burnout leave and others basically prepping their resignations. I'm basically looking for an exit despite this being the highest paid job I've ever had and likely to be offered a promotion when my manager leaves or a raise when I inform them I'm looking to leave. Been taking the paycheck as long as I can but it's seriously loving depressing at this point how much I don't enjoy what I'm doing lol.

Wait until the manager quits, tell them you'll think about it and put in your notice a week later. With no one to manage you you can coast for the two weeks and work on your resume.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Taking a break between jobs is easy. You say you can start at x date, then once you sign an employment contract, tell your current employer to pound sand at x-whatever weeks.

Doen it multiple times.

Don't explain why unless directly asked, and even then, just refer to vague family or health reasons and it's hard to legally ask about.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Why aren't you here?"

"I have jury duty."

"I know! But... they mail out the notices weeks in advances, why didn't you tell ___ and ___ ?"

"They don't tell you if you actually have to attend until the night before. I called last night. Did you get my message?"

"Yes, we got the message! But... but... Why didn't you tell so-and-so weeks ago that you might have jury duty?"

"Would that have been helpful?"

"NO! But.... But..."

"I am driving to the courthouse right now, can't talk, goodbye."

:allears: If they're mad at me tomorrow, I'll just remind them I'm starting vacation the next day and walk out. I'm done being dragged into the principal's office like a kid who got in trouble.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:frogout:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

"Why aren't you here?"

"I have jury duty."

"I know! But... they mail out the notices weeks in advances, why didn't you tell ___ and ___ ?"

"They don't tell you if you actually have to attend until the night before. I called last night. Did you get my message?"

"Yes, we got the message! But... but... Why didn't you tell so-and-so weeks ago that you might have jury duty?"

"Would that have been helpful?"

"NO! But.... But..."

"I am driving to the courthouse right now, can't talk, goodbye."

:allears: If they're mad at me tomorrow, I'll just remind them I'm starting vacation the next day and walk out. I'm done being dragged into the principal's office like a kid who got in trouble.

To be fair, a heads up of "hey I'm going to be on call for jury duty in 2 weeks, so I may or may not be present, plan accordingly" is actually useful, at least if the management isn't rear end (so never lol) since it lets them know about potentially slipping dates instead of being surprised.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Also fyi it took a while and I managed to quit at the worst COVID time, but I flat out doubled my pay making that move

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
A month ago my coworker no call no showed and got his final written warning. Last night he did it again and got a new final verbal warning. So maybe now he's actually out of warnings and we can fire him when he inevitably does it again and replace him with one of the new trainees who are competent and pleasant to be around.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, a heads up of "hey I'm going to be on call for jury duty in 2 weeks, so I may or may not be present, plan accordingly" is actually useful, at least if the management isn't rear end (so never lol) since it lets them know about potentially slipping dates instead of being surprised.

Oh, I gave them a heads up. They said, "If you get picked for jury duty, just give us a call." Since writing anything down is anathema, they forgot.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My tech walked outside to smoke a cigarette on his break at midnight and was promptly sprayed by a skunk right outside the front entrance of the building. Then he came back in to tell our boss he had to leave and gassed out the whole building :lmao:, god for a good 45 minutes it was so strong it was spicy. The front hallway where all the offices are and the front entrance of the building still smell EXTREMELY strong 6 and a half hours later.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The original vapers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

You might ask that same question of all IPAs, or beer in general

Weren't IPAs specifically made because they survived the long shipping journey better and not because they were actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They have to last longer because nobody wants to drink that poo poo