Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has a referee ever caused a wrestler to significantly botch in a televised event? Being out of position or not getting out of the way in time or something. Kind of a general question I guess.

there was a time when WWE told its referees to treat matches like shoots and count pins even when it wasn't the planned finish. well, one time someone forgot to kick out and the ref counted to 3 and the wrong guy won the match. so vince fired him lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m glad we at least got this out of Cody before he returned to his home planet.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has a referee ever caused a wrestler to significantly botch in a televised event? Being out of position or not getting out of the way in time or something. Kind of a general question I guess.

Pretty much the opposite of what you asked, but it reminded me of Ref Kiso in DDT saving Yuki Ueno from a botch by getting in the way of a really badly mistimed tope after everyone on the floor had already been wiped out

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

this has probably happened one zillion times in lucha libre

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In his first book Jericho talked about having a match (maybe in Germany) where the ref suddenly decided to drop down so Chris had to jump over him when Chris was shot into the ropes because "it added to the realism of the match."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not exactly a spectacular botch, but Flair/Race at Starrcade '83 is memorable for Gene Kiniski's awful ref work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"God-awful ref" is a apt description for WCCW's Bronko Lubich.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

In his first book Jericho talked about having a match (maybe in Germany) where the ref suddenly decided to drop down so Chris had to jump over him when Chris was shot into the ropes because "it added to the realism of the match."

He also had his own theme. "I'm too sexy".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How do refs get started? Do wrestling schools have ref classes?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A lot of the time they try to get started as pro wrestlers and then for whatever reason (too short, bad look, simply not good enough, no actual refs) they get asked to do referee duties and stick with it.

Some companies do recruit and train referees though. One of my friends actually applied when New Japan did a recent recruitment for new referees (the one they got Yuya Sakamoto and Taito Nakabayashi out of) but got rejected for being too small.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

hosed up that a company that employs Marty Asami has a height requirement

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

pseudodragon posted:

a common way for wrestlers to get started on shows is to ref matches.

also one of the best ways to help out on a show if you aren't wrestling is reffing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

pseudodragon posted:

At my school, we had a couple of students who specifically wanted to be referees. They were still expected to do all of the same training as the wrestlers. Then, active refs who worked our shows would do on-the-side training every now and then for ref-specific stuff.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Ganso Bomb posted:

At my school, we had a couple of students who specifically wanted to be referees. They were still expected to do all of the same training as the wrestlers. Then, active refs who worked our shows would do on-the-side training every now and then for ref-specific stuff.

so what, like cardio and back bumps and whatnot? when i was applying for grad schools i had drexel on my list and was toying with the idea of going to the ROH school to learn to ref on this side. that was over a decade ago and i've lived in louisiana since so i clearly never did that but i'm very curious.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

mactheknife posted:

so what, like cardio and back bumps and whatnot?

Everything! Cardio, bumps, drills, running the ropes, all of it. Whatever the class was, ref trainees did it unless it was getting into more advanced stuff. Basically, everyone needed to know how to bump and work safely in the ring but they didn’t need need do suplexes and getting slammed off the top rope.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm reminded of the insane match New Japan had recently that had like 4 ref bumps all to different guys so the newest ref could main event in his home town

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ItohRespectArmy posted:

a common way for wrestlers to get started on shows is to ref matches.

also one of the best ways to help out on a show if you aren't wrestling is reffing.
Same with managers/valets. A good way to break in if you're charismatic enough or have a decent character is to corner a tag team or stable. I have a friend on the indies who's primarily an actor/stuntman/fight choreographer, so instead of wrestling full-time he mostly manages a few people and takes bumps when the faces get tired of his shithead heel antics. So I get to go to shows and watch the dude who taught me how to stage fight get his rear end kicked. :haw:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Something I'd never wondered until just now, has David Arquette ever talked about how much if any training he was given for his segments/matches in WCW?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Bonk posted:

Same with managers/valets. A good way to break in if you're charismatic enough or have a decent character is to corner a tag team or stable. I have a friend on the indies who's primarily an actor/stuntman/fight choreographer, so instead of wrestling full-time he mostly manages a few people and takes bumps when the faces get tired of his shithead heel antics. So I get to go to shows and watch the dude who taught me how to stage fight get his rear end kicked. :haw:

this was one my life goals, actually- I wanted to be a Percy Pringle or a Paul Heyman so drat bad, would absolutely love to take a paycheck to rile up randos

then I hosed up my neck taking a flapjack like a doofus, got gun shy, and by the time I regathered my balls there was nowhere to do wrestling in driving distance anymore

it sucks because I was pretty drat alright at it, I have a lot experience in writing/delivering speeches and otherwise performing in public, playing characters, improvising, all that poo poo. I cut so many promos in so many different styles that we had trouble settling on what my gimmick SHOULD be-- the guy that trained me joked that we should work The Chameleon in there somewhere. No idea where he went and I can't afford to move where the wrestling is

PROBABLY DIE IN A SMALL TOWN ♪

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TheKingslayer posted:

Something I'd never wondered until just now, has David Arquette ever talked about how much if any training he was given for his segments/matches in WCW?

He was trained by Chris Kanyon, DDP, and Shane Helms, who also did stunts for Ready To Rumble. Obviously he wasn't a fully trained wrestler, but he had fundamentals.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

He was trained by Chris Kanyon, DDP, and Shane Helms, who also did stunts for Ready To Rumble. Obviously he wasn't a fully trained wrestler, but he had fundamentals.

I saw his match with Colt Cabana for F1rst and while I'm sure Colt was a guiding steady hand David seemed fine

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TheKingslayer posted:

You should watch the doc "You Cannot Kill David Arquette" which covers his whole time in wrestling from WCW to now and includes stuff like Jungle Boy driving him to the hospital after Nick Gage sliced his neck open.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arquette was such a whiner after that Gage match. He knew what he was getting into, Gage told him in advance "Yeah im gonna hurt you dude" and he whined so much after. For a guy who did deathmatch to try and prove himself he really didnt prove himself.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Maybe Nick Gage shouldn't have overstepped the mark on what was agreed between the two. The guy's a piece of trash.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

lol

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 27, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nick Gage definitely planned to decapitate David Arquette with that light tube and it wasn’t at all on Arquette for freaking out and trying to do some kind of panicked takedown by grabbing Gage’s legs when he had a sharp piece of glass held to his neck.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, to hear Arquette talk about it he was in "This guy is gonna kill me if I don't shoot stop him" mode and to hear Gage talk about it he was in "This guy thinks he's shooting, gently caress him" mode. Dumb dumb situation all around

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think this is all moot because from what I remember about Gages Jericho interview last year they basically buried the hatchet over the incident.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Everything! Cardio, bumps, drills, running the ropes, all of it. Whatever the class was, ref trainees did it unless it was getting into more advanced stuff. Basically, everyone needed to know how to bump and work safely in the ring but they didn’t need need do suplexes and getting slammed off the top rope.

This is pretty much the same for the school I went to as well. They have a beginners class and a semi pro class. Refs and wrestlers do all the same beginners training: cardio, rolls, bumps, running the ropes, basic drills, lockups, holds, takedowns, strikes, basic moves, etc.

Semi pro class is more advanced drills, advanced moves, match segments, and practice matches all with refs and commentary where feasible.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pinche Rudo posted:

This is pretty much the same for the school I went to as well. They have a beginners class and a semi pro class. Refs and wrestlers do all the same beginners training: cardio, rolls, bumps, running the ropes, basic drills, lockups, holds, takedowns, strikes, basic moves, etc.

Semi pro class is more advanced drills, advanced moves, match segments, and practice matches all with refs and commentary where feasible.

Whenever I start talking about wrestling school it makes me miss wrestling school, then I just want to build a ring in my garage or something

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Some companies do recruit and train referees though. One of my friends actually applied when New Japan did a recent recruitment for new referees (the one they got Yuya Sakamoto and Taito Nakabayashi out of) but got rejected for being too small.

Genuinely nutty that their height obsession extends to refs lol. A short ref makes the stars looks huge!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tonfa posted:

Genuinely nutty that their height obsession extends to refs lol. A short ref makes the stars looks huge!

Yeah. Part of the reason refs like Pee Wee Anderson or Marc Curtis were so good were they were tiny (too small to be taken seriously as wrestlers, especially in Curtis' case unfortunately) and made already big people look even more like monsters. It even goes down today with refs like Bryce.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I mean the funny thing is Taito and Yuya are not exactly big men. I'm pretty sure he's at least taller than Taito

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is it some dumbass thought process like “if this were real he’d be too easily intimidated by the wrestlers”

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Maybe with all the ref bumps in New Japan they don't want to upset the people who thought Lance Archer wrestling Marko Stunt was problematic.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

jesus WEP posted:

is it some dumbass thought process like “if this were real he’d be too easily intimidated by the wrestlers”

yes, this is also the reason some people named Jim give for not liking female refs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

yes, this is also the reason some people named Jim give for not liking female refs
this is so dumb, Aubrey’s character is that she’s the most no-nonsense of the AEW refs and it’s 100% believable unless you just hate women or something. oh.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of refs, how did the nwo ref angle resolve? Did it?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Maybe with all the ref bumps in New Japan they don't want to upset the people who thought Lance Archer wrestling Marko Stunt was problematic.

That tweet won't leave my brain. I think about it when I'm making my morning coffee. When I'm taking a walk. When I'm in work meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Defenestrategy posted:

Speaking of refs, how did the nwo ref angle resolve? Did it?

If you mean Nick Patrick, there's a pretty good summary on wikipedia.

quote:

When the New World Order (nWo) formed in 1996, he joined and became their official referee. He would allow the nWo wrestlers to cheat and he would show a clear bias towards the nWo. Because of this, he was forced into a match against Chris Jericho at the World War 3 pay-per-view on November 24, 1996 in Norfolk, Virginia. Jericho had one arm tied behind his back and still defeated Patrick.

Patrick's biggest night with the nWo was refereeing every single match on the nWo Souled Out pay-per-view on January 25, 1997 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

His nWo tenure came to an end at Spring Stampede 1997. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash were scheduled to defend the WCW World Tag Team Championship against The Steiner Brothers. Due to out-of-ring attacks and such, combined with Hall failing to show for the event, the title match eventually became a singles match between Nash and Rick Steiner. Nash was allowed to appoint a referee and he chose Patrick. During the match, Nash removed the padding over the turnbuckle and dropped Steiner's face on it. Nash covered an unconscious Steiner and Patrick quickly counted to three, awarding the contest to Nash. After the match, Nash kept performing the maneuver on Steiner. Patrick had a change of heart and attempted to get Nash to stop. Fellow nWo associate, Ted DiBiase, also had a change of heart and attempted, with Patrick, to get Nash to stop. When Nash refused, both Patrick and DiBiase left to get help for Steiner. Later that evening, Patrick served as referee for the main event match between nWo member Randy Savage and Diamond Dallas Page, counting a proper pin for Page. After the match, Nash came out and attacked Patrick, for all intents and purposes, kicking him out of the nWo.[4]

On the April 21, 1997 edition of Nitro, he unexpectedly appeared in the announce booth with Tony Schiavone and Larry Zbyszko. Wearing a green WCW polo shirt, he cut a promo explaining that he was sick of Eric Bischoff and the way the nWo did business. He explained that he never wanted to fight fellow referee Randy Anderson and asked for his job back.[5] Both Schiavone and Zbyszko were skeptical, especially Zbyszko, who was intensely critical. They went to a commercial break with Patrick and Zbyszko arguing. The next week on Nitro, WCW executive J. J. Dillon announced that Patrick was being re-hired on a probationary basis. Patrick was a neutral referee from that point on and never sided with the nWo again.