Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just had an iced coffee. delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wow! I’m really pepped up!

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
working from the coffee shop, drinking hella coffee

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

might gently caress around and get caffeinated

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I had both coffee and tea earlier today

if you mix them together, you'll have yuanyang

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

new espresso machine came. it's not expensive -- was like $125 -- but makes a pretty good shot, I think.

still have to play around and find the right grind. first attempt there tasted great but poured a little quicker than expected and left a watery puck. I guess if it tastes fine it doesn't matter but I think I can do better.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fisting by many posted:

new espresso machine came. it's not expensive -- was like $125 -- but makes a pretty good shot, I think.

still have to play around and find the right grind. first attempt there tasted great but poured a little quicker than expected and left a watery puck. I guess if it tastes fine it doesn't matter but I think I can do better.

wilfa makes good poo poo for the money, i have one of their basic grinders

good luck

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
packed up the grinder and moka pot today :cry::cry: moving is hard

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fisting by many posted:

I'm having a similar problem; is the solution just a finer grind? I've been doing it a little finer than drip, but not quite like say, Greek coffee.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Cheap machines, as a last step, force the coffee through a pinhole to guarantee some resistance to the pump and to artificially whip up the coffee to fake crema, regardless of how lovely the grind was or how old the coffee is.

This results in fake, insipid "crema" made of frothed coffee, and soggy pucks. You're going to have soggy pucks, since the operation of your machine is different from the ones where a dry puck is desirable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
plenty of cheap machines use non-pressurized portafilters and make totally serviceable espresso. i had a cheap rear end $120 espresso maker that used a regular portafilter and the coffee it made was fine. it also had very good water distribution from its head which prevented the channeling you see in some cheaper espresso makers. the steam wand sucked rear end and then the heater died so i got a gaggia classic pro. altho, tbh i kinda wish i got that breville that everyone gets thats at the same price point.

you can find decent espresso makers in the 100-200 range and paying more gets you higher build quality, more features, finer controls, and branding.

dont forget to buy a decent grinder because if you cant get consistent, repeatable grinds you cant get consistent, repeatable coffee. Even if your grinder is capable of a good grind, it must also be capable of repeating that grind every time you use it. thats where alot of the cheaper grinders fail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

coffee

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

many such cases

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fr im so glad it’s back in my life. had a single shot from my moka pot this morning and then another over ice after lunch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
an iced coffee sounds like a good idea

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
terrible overpriced airport coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i like when the airport just has a dunkin donuts

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

when will the american empire install dunkins in heathrow i swear to god

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

nothing like walking off a plane at logan and seeing the big honkin' dunks right in the terminal

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

bump_fn posted:

when will the american empire install dunkins in heathrow i swear to god

oh yeah that's not a good place for meeting your coffee needs

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got stuck in Heathrow terminal 5 for an entire weekend earlier this year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

nothing like walking off a plane at logan and seeing the big honkin' dunks right in the terminal
then u take the blue line to government center, switch to the green line and go to the one in park street

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
biking to Ontario Place last night i stopped at the lights at East Liberty and Strachan. dueling Starbucks at the two condos on either side of the street lol

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
took a nice nap, now it’s time for coffee

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

having a coffee and sitting down to model building over goog meet since the in person host is out of town this week.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
gonna pick some coffee up when i drive to the burbs later to drop some stuff off. any Strange Sort of Brews i should look out for?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

SimonSays posted:

Cheap machines, as a last step, force the coffee through a pinhole to guarantee some resistance to the pump and to artificially whip up the coffee to fake crema, regardless of how lovely the grind was or how old the coffee is.

This results in fake, insipid "crema" made of frothed coffee, and soggy pucks. You're going to have soggy pucks, since the operation of your machine is different from the ones where a dry puck is desirable.

ahh that makes sense

I've got a baratza encore so the grind is fine.

Tried it on 5 (out of 40) and tamped a bit harder this morning and it came out well. The milk steamer on it actually works well too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

then u take the blue line to government center, switch to the green line and go to the one in park street

if you go to north station you can get two dunks in the same place

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

if you go to north station you can get two dunks in the same place
hey sully! how come your mutha lets you have two dunks?

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
having an afternoon coffee at the in laws. they like bad coffee but im not complaining. sometimes a burnt rear end mug of folgers is just right

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

found some undrunk decaf left on the counter. delicious evening surprise, almost as good as a $5 in the pocket.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's time for some coffee!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

having a coffee just now

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
enjoying a Sunday morning cold brewski

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
only had 2 coffees so far today. thinking about a third.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Captain Foo posted:

Fun fact, this is true for every terminal in Massachusetts, including the one on my PC.

Exits powershell, buys a collata.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

prepping the coffee machine before going to bed has changed my life

if i DO end up taking this in-office gig, i am going to be living in comparative luxury

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Made more cold brew today. Good poo poo. Boy, it's funny how it takes so long to run through the filter paper. Literal mud itt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neito posted:

Fun fact, this is true for every terminal in Massachusetts, including the one on my PC.

Exits powershell, buys a collata.

lol

i wonder if i can make Windows Terminal dunks theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

sippin it (coffee) down