Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wanted to play a game as Boris in IE and a few turns in I rediscovered that Kislev is poor as dirt, especially without access to your special provinces. It’s very that funny to me that as Cathay you have more money than you know what to do with, but as Kislev you have to make every penny count. Also I though his entire faction was immune to Chaos attrition, but no it is just Boris. That is very inconvenient.

Still managed to wipe out that jerk Archaon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How does the outpost system work with the new Champions of Chaos? I barely played 3 at launch so don't really know how it works in general but the AI vassals I have are occasionally building outposts in my settlements but I can't seem to build any in their ones, even the capitals of like, the dark elf ruins I've given them (I assume outposts need to be in capitals?). Might just be missing the button. Obviously I take the dark fortresses myself and just any regular settlements I take, turn them into the shrines that give you bonus souls until I reckon I'm done fighting wars in the area and then I give em over to whichever vassal has territory nearby cause the tribute seems better than the minor bonuses.

I guess I don't need many units from Norsca who I assume are mostly gonna be what my allies are, some of those short range hunter javelin throwers might be alright for my backup armies just as some backup ranged that can kill large units. It'd be useful to figure it out for another campaign though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ethiser posted:

Wanted to play a game as Boris in IE and a few turns in I rediscovered that Kislev is poor as dirt, especially without access to your special provinces. It’s very that funny to me that as Cathay you have more money than you know what to do with, but as Kislev you have to make every penny count. Also I though his entire faction was immune to Chaos attrition, but no it is just Boris. That is very inconvenient.

Still managed to wipe out that jerk Archaon.
If I ever try a Boris campaign I'd probably just dive down into the Badlands to get away from the dumb "reduced penalties" he gets for chaos wasteland. He should just get it as full habitability as a unique way to add a new way for a Kislev lord to have room on the map and to be the only order-aligned faction that can live up there. Also yeah all his armies should be immune.

edit: Boris is essentially unplayable without a modification to his tech system anyway, because he cant use ~40% of this tech tree without conquering land from his daughter, which is dumb as hell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 27, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there a recruit defeated LL mod for WH3 out?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Forget a defeated LL mod; I'd really like an official ripoff of the Beastmen dread mechanic to bring LL's back (assuming it wouldn't muck with endgame crises).

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Well, looks like it's time to start a campaign with Khalida, the Tomb Queen with the universal diplomacy bonuses, and make friends wherever I go!

Five minutes later: I am surrounded by rats, vampires, daemons, orcs, and dwarfs who want me dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

With it being easier to confed LLs, is it possible to basically do it at gunpoint now if you knock out their army and are poised to take their last city?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

One of the things that really holds me back in TW Warhammer as opposed to the historical games is really understanding the impact of the characters. E.G. when looking at the pre battle screen I sort of ping off how many ranged units both sides have, how many cavalryz what tier it all is ... I don't think I have a good underlying appreciation of just how big a deal some SEM and lords can be. Like I just barely beat Wulfrik in a field battle earlier in my campaign, this one Mammoth he had with him simply walked through several units (of chaos warriors, not chaff!) I thought under the traditional rock paper scissors type matchups that a unit of chaos warriors with halberds would probably wear it down... Not the case.

Just now that rear end in a top hat Malus Darkblade tried to jump another of my mostly-marauder stacks. Auto resolve said decisive defeat. I managed to take out his army despite how annoying Shades are - he had higher tier units, but I had more. After his army is all dead with a few shattered survivors, the force bars are still nearly even - I had 370 or so troops left, including my sorceror lord and exalted champion! The guy wouldn't die, but fortunately after killing another unit or so his morale sank under assault from 6-7 depleted units. He fled the field, with my entire remaining force wailing on him ineffectually. He reached the map edge still at about 75% health.

Single Entity Monsters aren't Large in the Rock/Paper/Scissors matchup so much as their own thing; large is cavalry and monstrous infantry. SEMs beat melee infantry (even halberds) by wading through them and there never being enough halberds or spears engaging at one time to really matter and even if there were they just walk over the infantry before the attack animations start. They suffer a bit against monstrous infantry and cavalry that can keep them still by surrounding them (and a lot if there's a hero in that mix simply because they do splash damage but take focus fire from the hero) but what they lose against is shooting because they are literally too big to miss (Total War tracks the trajectory of each shot). I think a unit of Tier 0 Empire Archers do more damage to a mammoth than a unit of Chosen with halberds simply because they can all attack and the mammoth won't dodge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

With it being easier to confed LLs, is it possible to basically do it at gunpoint now if you knock out their army and are poised to take their last city?
Can you confederate someone you are at war with?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

Not yet, but apparently the author of the mod from WH2 is working on porting it over. No ETA, however.

Meanwhile, Kairos is FUN AS gently caress now that he has an actual front line to work with. Both he and the heralds focus on demons, however, and only the Sorcerer Lord can buff Warriors/Chosen with the red line. That being said, they're loving chosen they're rock loving solid from the word go. It's so nice to be able to line up spells and let your pinkies spam death at everything without having to rely on a frontline of loving knights.

Currently have not-Antarctica under my control, along with the southern half of the Southlands and I'm waging a lizard hellwar in Lustria all at the same time. Settra has expanded massively and is about to dunk Manny out of existence, so I'm using changing of the ways to force him into more and more wars with the nerds around him. It seems to have worked because Mannfred is making headway suddenly.

Oh, also all of Tzeentch's buildings are loving EXPENSIVE AS poo poo and take AGES to loving build. Also none of your garrisons have warriors or chosen so lol good luck holding anything off with some pinks and blues and maybe a unit of forsaken if you're lucky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can you confederate someone you are at war with?

You can issue peace as a diplomatic option, and it carries a weight, then you can follow up with other conditions, of which I think confederation is one?

You can use war as a means of enforcing peace terms but the issue is that war usually makes them dislike you which counts against you. But generally factions value peace if they think you're about to dunk on them very hard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 27, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Omnicarus posted:

speaking of this, how does be'lakor's corruption thing work? i've defeated a bunch of human lords and i haven't seen anything yet

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

OwlFancier posted:

I would be curious to know if there's a good strat for this since the quest to confederate Orion didn't work (didn't pop up the confed event) in my Sisters game, and I'm like thirty points down on being able to confederate him naturally even being the number 1 power and holding all the other trees.

I also had kind of a frustrating moment in my Sisters game when Averland got to the Forest of Gloom tree turns before I could warp over there. I ended up taking all of the settlements around it thinking I could trade one of them to them for it, but I get a -50 "relative faction strength" penalty trading for the tree settlement that doesn't exist when I ask for any of their other settlements, even Akendorf which has twice the economic value. I'm guessing "relative faction strength" is an indirect way of saying "we know this settlement is worth a lot more to you than it is to us" but still pretty weird.

I ended up having to break my treaties with them and get into a war and took it that way. That's what you get for being withholding, Averland. :colbert:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Speak of the loving devil, the Recruit Defeated LLs mod just dropped a beta: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2854819509

Also, unrelated to that mod (possibly another mod that's causing it, but I'm not sure), I consistently get a crash when loading into the unwalled minor settlement battle on a lizardmen map. Not sure why, and this is the first time it's occurred (it was fine when playing WoC, but a few mods have updated since then) so maybe it's a Kairos issue that I'm having.

None of my mods affect settlement maps in any way (although some, like Rebanner and Drink It affect battles themselves). Gonna have to try to figure that out eventually.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 27, 2022

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Gonkish posted:

Speak of the loving devil, the Recruit Defeated LLs mod just dropped a beta: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2854819509

Also, unrelated to that mod (possibly another mod that's causing it, but I'm not sure), I consistently get a crash when loading into the unwalled minor settlement battle on a lizardmen map. Not sure why, and this is the first time it's occurred (it was fine when playing WoC, but a few mods have updated since then) so maybe it's a Kairos issue that I'm having.

None of my mods affect settlement maps in any way (although some, like Rebanner and Drink It affect battles themselves). Gonna have to try to figure that out eventually.

Between this, Unnatural Selection and a respec mod, I'm all set. SFO would be nice but I think it might take a while

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ghorst and Goldtooth have declared because I am getting too big for my britches... and they're right! Tretch's short victory is "destroy the minor Greenies you start at war with and Imrik." Khalida's made little sense, Tretch's is a baby goal for babies! I'm gonna take over all of Cathay this time for reals. But first:

All these zombies want my big brain! Luckily I decided it'd be more fun to compliment my Actual Fronts Skaven Armies with weapon teams to apply maximum pain. In Tretch's case I grabbed the Teeth-Breakers as my sole long range and large deletion team and a pair of Warpfire Throwers as my everything deletion teams. Can the famous unkillable Ghorst zombies hold up?

No-no. Hard to get safe lines and account for slight inclines but not impossible. Forcing the AI to take advances from all four paths really spread them thin and punished having a super slow army.

Speaking of, poor Ghorst and his cart trying to be anywhere meaningful. I think he meant to engage that Doomwheel and never quite made it and it could've left at any time. He actually out-regens crumbling and eventually I got battle victory while he was alive but I sent the Teeth-Breakers over to speed him along to death's door anyway. Bye dude!

He has two zombie stacks and settlements left, I'll be taking those and then clearing Ku'gath out. I considered playing nice with him but my instincts warned me that he'd spend the entire campaign accidentally spreading plagues to my cities and armies.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I love that your second lord is just named Knife

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok so it's definitely a campaign issue that I'm having. The map works fine in skirmish. Must be a mod thing. I don't have that many running, I'll have to test some poo poo eventually.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This is something of a bad time for Bretonnia.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Is there a reason why the Karak Azorn in the Mountain of Mourns does not support Vamp Crypts and Forbidden Libraries? It is an 8 slot and Karak Varg in the Ancient Giant Lands seems to support those 2 buildings as an 8 slot just fine.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just got a short victory on my Ghorst legendary/very hard "this is total war" declaring war on everyone campaign and I got to ask...

Does total warhammer 3 even have a "this is total war" achievement?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The Vamps are finally dead.

Who's regenerating now?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Kholek is rad it's turn 60 Cathay is in shambles. Miao is dead, Zhao has 2 minors left, and the capital is mine. I'm bros with Vilitch and Snikch who war decc'ed Lokhir and are keeping themselves busy for the moment as he has like 12 settlements. though I know we need a new major enemy or their eyes will start to wander

I'm debating if Kholek runs straight north to capture more Dark Fortresses plus vassals or if I dive into the Dark Lands to check on them stunties

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeC posted:

Is there a reason why the Karak Azorn in the Mountain of Mourns does not support Vamp Crypts and Forbidden Libraries? It is an 8 slot and Karak Varg in the Ancient Giant Lands seems to support those 2 buildings as an 8 slot just fine.
I ran into a similar issue in WH2 with new settlements that were added for Imrik & Sniktch to start in, its a bug.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is Imrik on a horse still an angry little bee that instantly kills anything bigger than a man?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Kholek's campaign seems like they took that feeling from TW1 of making Kholek a army soloing monster with sky high stats and cranked it to 11 by giving him a nearly infinite way to scale his stats by smashing heads into following him and skipping over that painful early game where Kislev and the Empire just swarm you and missile Kholek to death.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Kholek's campaign seems like they took that feeling from TW1 of making Kholek a army soloing monster with sky high stats and cranked it to 11 by giving him a nearly infinite way to scale his stats by smashing heads into following him and skipping over that painful early game where Kislev and the Empire just swarm you and missile Kholek to death.

yeah it :feelsgood:

Chaos has always had a good roster but were held back by poorly thought out mechanics and campaign effects. they're now super fun to play

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Welcome to Estalia Gentledwarves!

Did not realize Morghur had just respawned, he's about to have a TERRIBLE Time

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 28, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like the geography of the world's edge mountains, thorek has a really good start where karak zorn locks off the southern approach as a major settlement, then karak orrud locks off the western side of the pass between khemri and lahmia, then if you swing east, take lahmia, misty mountain locks off that northern approach.

Basically the mountains really seem to have well placed settlements that allow you to control access across them and also into their interior, really good for carving out secure territories, hoping this will be really good with the SFO economy that encourages building specialized economic areas at the expense of fortification (and which also allows you to very heavily fortify cities if you want to)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

just one more thing, CA, and I'll be outta your hair... somethin you said keeps bugging me, now correct me if I'm wrong but you said: , right?

yeah yeah I thought I'd remembered it right, now I didn't see anything wrong with it at the time, but for some reason it's just been stuck in my mind like a catchy commercial jingle. going round and round and round... but then I realised. see, CA, the problem with what you said is that... Skrag doesn't have any hands.

deputy, if you'd take them away.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

just one more thing, CA, and I'll be outta your hair... somethin you said keeps bugging me, now correct me if I'm wrong but you said: , right?

yeah yeah I thought I'd remembered it right, now I didn't see anything wrong with it at the time, but for some reason it's just been stuck in my mind like a catchy commercial jingle. going round and round and round... but then I realised. see, CA, the problem with what you said is that... Skrag doesn't have any hands.

deputy, if you'd take them away.

He has hands, he just ate them so they are no longer external. Actually he has a lot of hands most of the time, depending on what he recently slaughtered.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
turn 109 it says the dwarfs are coming, turn 21 it says the wild hunt started

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vashro posted:

turn 109 it says the dwarfs are coming, turn 21 it says the wild hunt started

Listen they're in a weird phase of their lives right now and they don't need you being judgmental. :colbert:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
There is a non end scenario Wild Hunt that triggers during the game. It's just a period of wood elf aggression, like green skins declaring a waagh without it being the "Da Biggest Waagh" end scenario

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
oh yeah here are all the dwarfs! I don't remember seeing an event message

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Just past turn 50, feeling like i've made a turning point, but out there in the distance are threats, Mostly Skarbrand

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I found the theme song for Tzeentch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYJIs5tGCU

What would the theme song for the other three be?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I found the theme song for Tzeentch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYJIs5tGCU

What would the theme song for the other three be?

nurgle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNLLn8Ubq0

also can anyone tell me if daniel is good now or not?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Is it just me, or is the normal difficulty AI way more aggressive than it should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Ghorst short campaign done, easy peasy.

The wheel gave me Morgiana le Fay now. Alright she seems cool, but I don't get the early game for her.

Turn 4 and oh no it gorm the punch. how kil gorm???

Peasant infantry is garbage at this point, every greenskin unit beats them pound for pound and they outnumber you hard (Grom has 1 and a half stack with catapults, stone trolls and other good units) while I'm capped at 1 peasant stack. No vows yet. The blessed trebuchet is super inaccurate and the Grail Guardians/heroes can't really be everywhere, so I get trounced in battle.

Should I just ruin my economy by going over cap and just drown them in peasants? Are you supposed to sit on your starter province until you get better stuff. I don't know what the goal is after you kill the turn 1-2 enemy. The orc incursions to farm out exp and money are gone too, so that's out.

I get that you confed Brettonnia through techs but where are you supposed to go and kill poo poo?