Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Plugging poo poo in backwards would not matter in the least for connecting two devices that run on DC. There was something seriously wrong with at least one of them for that to happen.

Plug polarization has some advantages, but they are pretty minor and the likelihood that you ever run into one of them in your life is very small. More likely you run into annoyances with GFIs tripping because some idiot wired something backwards. Or, as I once found, some king moron engineer designed a GFI where the hot and neutral were on opposite sides at the top and bottom of the plug. I don't blame the guy who wired that one backwards, what the gently caress kind of engineering is that? Fire starter special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Also, plenty of countries don't have polarized plugs and you can't rely on everything being wired correctly anyways.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If you really feel like you can't trust the outlets in your house to be wired correctly I highly suggest you spend the $8 to buy a simple tester and do a circuit of your house.

https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Tester-Klein-Tools-RT110/dp/B01AKX3AYE

Few dollars more will get one that tests for GFCI function as well.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Great suggestion, but I was talking about it from an electrical safety standpoint.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VESA has published their new certification for motion clarity: https://vesa.org/featured-articles/...d-logo-program/

VESA has rightfully caught a lot of flak in the past for their easily cheatable and meaningless DisplayHDR certification, so the immediate reaction here to is to be suspicious of this as well. Looking at the details, their motion clarity rating appears to be based on visual analysis rather than direct panel performance measurements. The current measuring metrics often don't tell the entire story when it comes to pixel response. There are different techniques involving with or without gamma correction, different ways of measuring overshoot, and also the shape of the pixel response curve matters too, which isn't measured by anyone. The method employed will be comparing the number of "clear" pixels to "blurry" pixels found in a horizontally moving image. They have not published any details on what constitutes a clear or blurry pixel, or how they intend to measure these factors. It's probably not too complicated to create a visual analysis algorithm that can do this, but I'm not sure I trust VESA on the implementation here. My ultimate take though is that any kind of consistent and standardized rating that can't be made up on the fly has to be better than the old g2g or mprt measurements by default, since literally everyone has been saying 1ms for the last five years despite this never being true except with OLED.

Some other notes: They do not appear to be taking images using the BlurBusters tracking method (also used by RTINGS and other reviewers). They instead seem to be using a stationary camera with a very high shudder speed. This eliminates the "persistence blur" part of the equation, leaving only the blur caused by slow response times. So high-refresh displays won't have an advantage. They're also testing with backlight strobing/black-frame insertion turned off. Displays with a good strobing implementation have no room to flex here, even though that has the potential to greatly enhance motion clarity.

Samsung and LG are the first major display companies on board with the certification, which makes sense since their panels are generally the fastest on the market.

edit: just to fully save you the click:

The "CMR" number here is how many percent more "clear" pixels there are than "blurry" ones. So the top certification requires 8500% more clear pixels than blurry pixels in a moving image. I honestly have no idea if that's actually good or not since this isn't something anyone has bothered to measure before. I'd like to see some raw numbers for many of the panels on the market today that are considered good. The image used, camera used, analysis method used, etc, all matter too. There are way too many variables at play here to tell if this will actually work. And I can already tell that nobody will understand wtf the rating means beyond "bigger = better," but if the system works then that's all that's needed, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 24, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If it can prompt more sources to do better monitor reviews, great, I'm all for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
gently caress, out of the blue my monitor has a vertical black stripe on it. I walked away from my pc for 20 minutes, and when I woke the monitor up it had the stripe.

It’s not because of the connection, because it’s still there when I switch to HDMI from DP.

Any chance of this being fixable?

I bought the monitor around a year and a half ago.

e:and it's not on the pc side. The stripe is still there with a PS4 connected.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If it's not the source or the cable, then it's the panel itself. Let it rest for a while and then try again, but it will probably come back again at some point even if it goes away for a little bit. I think you're in for an RMA.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RTINGS posted their early access review of the LG 32GQ950, LG's new 32" 4K 160Hz monitor. Not gonna post the full review or anything, but the vibe I'm getting is that it is extremely overpriced at $1300. It gets bright (as it's DisplayHDR 1000 certified), but it's just edge lit, so the contrast is bad in HDR mode and blacks are raised. It also has excellent response times, but everything else about the monitor is very much your typical IPS stuff. Seems like you should either buy the Neo G7 for the same price (cheaper really, on Samsung's store through their discount program) or buy the M32U for half the price. LG has lost their minds if they think that monitor is worth $1300.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 24, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RTINGS posted their early access review of the LG 32GQ950, LG's new 32" 4K 160Hz monitor. Not gonna post the full review or anything, but the vibe I'm getting is that it is extremely overpriced at $1300. It gets bright (as it's DisplayHDR 1000 certified), but it's just edge lit, so the contrast is bad in HDR mode and blacks are raised. It also has excellent response times, but everything else about the monitor is very much your typical IPS stuff. Seems like you should either buy the Neo G7 for the same price (cheaper really, on Samsung's store through their discount program) or buy the M32U for half the price. LG has lost their minds if they think that monitor is worth $1300.

$1300 is used 55” C1 territory. Or two M32Us on sale including shipping and taxes. That’s more expensive than the 42” C2, yeah? And it’s not OLED. Noooooope

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the 42" C2 is 1400, so there's really no excuse for that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems like it's a perfectly okay monitor. Maybe a little better than the M32U because it's faster and it gets really bright (people do like it when it gets bright), but it just costs so much money. They really want to pretend like it's a valid competitor to the Neo G7. To be fair, it does do higher 100% white brightness, but every other aspect of the HDR performance ranges from meh to downright bad, while the Neo G7 is actually good in a lot of respects.

I can't wait for burn-in-resistant 32" OLED monitors to be a thing so we can stop pretending that LCDs are worth these premium price points (year #10 of saying this)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
But perfectly okay isn’t good enough at $1,300. At that price point I’d expect better features than “it gets bright but isn’t full array dimming”

Maybe it makes sense in a world where the price:value of the M32U or AW3423 doesn’t exist. I tend to agree with your first post, however. Like that weird 16:18 monitor, you’d really have to dig for a specific usecase for it to make any sense at all. And even then, it would still be edge lit HDR1000 for $1,300 (lol).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I know it's stupidly, stupidly, stupidly expensive, but is the Asus PG32UQX a good monitor outside of the lack of HDMI 2.1 and, of course, it's incredibly dumb price? Most reviews really highlight the negatives but aside that it sounds like it has the most competent HDR implementation outside of OLEDs?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I know it's stupidly, stupidly, stupidly expensive, but is the Asus PG32UQX a good monitor outside of the lack of HDMI 2.1 and, of course, it's incredibly dumb price? Most reviews really highlight the negatives but aside that it sounds like it has the most competent HDR implementation outside of OLEDs?

It has really slow response times, so motion is kinda blurry on it.

edit: Also, the panel's still an IPS, so it has low native contrast. As such, the blooming/light haloing is more noticeable on it than on the Samsung monitors. It DOES get a hell of a lot brighter, and the ABL is practically non-existent (sustained full-screen whites of 1200 nits), but the IPS nature of the screen supposedly degrades performance in dark scenes with bright highlights. So maybe it's a little better overall than the Neo line if you want a monitor that can literally blind you if you crank the brightness too much, but yeesh, that price...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbxGtqkzNI

This is using the bendable LG W-OLED panel I posted about a couple weeks ago. I wince every time i hear that sound when he bends it.

45" 3440x1440 is an extremely strange choice in size and resolution. Maybe it has to be big for this concept to work? But even then, at least do 3840x1600. As it is, the DPI is just 82.87, which is roughly the same density as 27" 1080p. Or 15" 1024 x 768 (I'm struggling to come up with other comparisons here). But at least it's also 240Hz, which is very cool.

This is the first panel by LG.Display that's designed exclusively for monitor usage, so perhaps they're being conservative with the DPI for reasons I mentioned previously. Though they're also developing a 27" 1440p display (108.79 dpi), so I dunno.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry, why would you want a bendable monitor at your desk?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
dual function gaming and productivity, maybe? optimizing the curve for where your viewing angle is, poo poo like that i bet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Curves can distort images, so if you're doing anything where that matters (drawing, image editing, etc), you want a flat panel. But maybe you also want it to be curved when gaming because it's an ultrawide, and the edges can seem distant and skewed away from you if it's not curved. Therefore, you have both?

Or from a manufacturing point of view, you can just make one product and then let customers curve it to their tastes (or not)

The curve not being perfectly uniform seems like a potential issue, but it's not the first monitor like that. (I remember seeing an MSI ultrawide somewhat recently that had a sharp curve in the middle and light to no curve near the edges)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how niche are curved monitors? phrased to avoid a bunch of people very mad at me i've never seen the appeal, but they mostly seem to exist on products that are wildly above what i would ever pay so it's kind of irrelevant. in terms of functionality at the lower end of size they don't seem to make much sense at all and seem like more of an aesthetic thing tbh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

how niche are curved monitors? phrased to avoid a bunch of people very mad at me i've never seen the appeal, but they mostly seem to exist on products that are wildly above what i would ever pay so it's kind of irrelevant. in terms of functionality at the lower end of size they don't seem to make much sense at all and seem like more of an aesthetic thing tbh.

Ultrawides are useful to have curved because otherwise the edges would appear too far from you and angled away slightly (as I pointed out above)

Curved 16:9 monitors are more niche for sure, and are mostly done by necessity. Samsung's Odyssey line of curved monitors have viewing angles that are quite bad, and black levels are raised when viewed off axis (you can see the mini led backlight very clearly when viewing the Neo series off axis). So Samsung has come up with a curve that makes it so every part of the monitor is on-axis when the user is seated about three feet away (though you have some leeway to move around before it gets noticeable—i usually sit two to two and a half feet away), and they've come up with some marketing gimmicks about the curve of the human retina or whatever to make it sound like a cool feature instead of a crutch. Most other curved 16:9 monitors are VA panels that have some noticeable gamma shift off-axis.

IPS on the other hand has notably great horizontal viewing angles, and so you rarely see 16:9 IPSes curved.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 25, 2022

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Possible it's so large to dissipate heat for 240hz?

There is no way I'd want a monitor with that low ppi. I can't think of a use case for it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've shifted from 3x 16:10 Dell 24's to a pair of 16:9 curved 27s with one of the Dells in portrait mode and to be honest, the curve is working for me for productivity. Takes up less horizontal real estate while shoving more pixels into my FOV, and you don't really notice it that much while working.

I find I don't have to move/turn my head as much as when I'm working in the office where we have 2 flat 27s on each desk, and given that I wear glasses with a degree of magnification going on it probably doesn't hurt that the radius reduces the overall difference in distance between the centre of the screen and my eyes, and the edges, which means it's less likely that my eyes need to refocus even a little bit.

That said I don't do a lot of graphic design or 3D modelling, but I still don't feel like the 1500 radius is going to make a marked difference compared to something like panel type (VA vs IPS). If I were working with graphic design for a living I would almost certainly be choosing an IPS display anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To illustrate the bad off-axis performance, let's put the Neo G7 through a worst-case-scenario test: thin white lines on a black background, courtesy of this oscilloscope visualization of the excellent Grounseed soundtrack. When viewed head-on:

The bloom here is due to camera exposure times and not very visible to the human eye. It looks like white on black and is very clean due to the VA panel's strong native contrast and the way the slightly raised blacks around the lines blend into the pure blacks. But if you move to the side...

The bloom is much stronger in this image than the last, and the mini-led backlight zones are very much visible to the naked eye. If this were a flat panel, then you'd see prominent blooming at the edges of the screen while viewing the center on-axis.

Incidentally, blooming on this panel is much more visible when white lines/letters are set against dark greys or other dark colors than against black. The VA layer is good at blocking all light, but it's bad at letting just a little through when there's a powerful backlight behind it. This isn't really a concern with regular dynamic content though (games, movies)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

a dingus posted:

Possible it's so large to dissipate heat for 240hz?

There is no way I'd want a monitor with that low ppi. I can't think of a use case for it.

Yeah, we tested a 27” 1080p monitor for work a while back and I considered it bad back then. Now? When 4K TVs are everywhere? That’s noticeably bad.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The point of bendable curvature IMO is to make them adjustable to user preferences in the field rather than in the factory and to consolidate different lines of manufacturing reducing costs and increasing reliability for everyone. Users unhappy with the curvature of their ultrawides can cause returns and cost manufacturers money, so if they're comparing the RMA and return rates for that reason compared to n different monitors with different curvature radii it might be fairly compelling.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbxGtqkzNI

This is using the bendable LG W-OLED panel I posted about a couple weeks ago. I wince every time i hear that sound when he bends it.

45" 3440x1440 is an extremely strange choice in size and resolution. Maybe it has to be big for this concept to work? But even then, at least do 3840x1600. As it is, the DPI is just 82.87, which is roughly the same density as 27" 1080p. Or 15" 1024 x 768 (I'm struggling to come up with other comparisons here). But at least it's also 240Hz, which is very cool.

This is the first panel by LG.Display that's designed exclusively for monitor usage, so perhaps they're being conservative with the DPI for reasons I mentioned previously. Though they're also developing a 27" 1440p display (108.79 dpi), so I dunno.

That's the sound of the warranty department shuddering.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Going to buy two of those and bend them flat like god intended

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The official method is to balance one on top of the other, with the screens facing inwards, and jump on them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LG announces a non-bendable monitor with that panel, with an 800R curve: https://videocardz.com/press-release/lg-announces-ultragear-45-inch-curved-oled-gaming-monitor-with-240hz-refresh-rate

That's a tight loving curve.

The automatically adjusting monitor is also a pretty wild idea:

quote:

The groundbreaking 32UQ890 is the first LG monitor capable of automatically adjusting its position to ensure continued ergonomic comfort throughout the day. With a built-in camera leveraging advanced AI, the UltraFine Display Ergo AI can continuously analyze the posture of the user – making subtle changes to screen height (0 ~ 160mm) and tilt (-20º ~ +20º) to prevent them from remaining in a single position for too long or from falling into poor posture over time. The 32UQ890 has three ergonomics-enhancing modes: AI Motion, Continuous Motion and Periodic Motion. AI Motion, which will be demonstrated at LG’s booth during IFA, tracks the user’s eye-level and adjusts height and tilt whenever a change is detected.
just, what

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The resolution only being 3440x1440 is pretty nuts for that large a monitor, though. The ShortCircuit vid on the bendy one mentioned a noticeable screen-door effect in certain apps.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the self leveling monitor seems kind of cool until i think about the self leveling headlights on my car and how poorly they work

of course those are old enough to drink and few monitors last 20 years so maybe it won't be a problem

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk if this is really a hardware or software issue, but I'm having trouble getting my monitor to work with my M1 macbook pro through a lenovo thunderbolt dock. The monitor is probably the main issue, it's an Alienware ultrawide AW3418DW and has often been a bit spotty at recognising when something is connected to the HDMI port. It's generally always worked eventually and is happily connecting to my X13 thinkpad. It always connects immediately to my desktop through the displayport (wow 2 inputs).

Whatever I do I can't get the monitor to recognise the macbook through the dock. The monitor works OK through HDMI directly connected, but just goes to power save with the dock. I have Power Save > Off in the monitor settings.

Any ideas?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Idk if this is really a hardware or software issue, but I'm having trouble getting my monitor to work with my M1 macbook pro through a lenovo thunderbolt dock. The monitor is probably the main issue, it's an Alienware ultrawide AW3418DW and has often been a bit spotty at recognising when something is connected to the HDMI port. It's generally always worked eventually and is happily connecting to my X13 thinkpad. It always connects immediately to my desktop through the displayport (wow 2 inputs).

Whatever I do I can't get the monitor to recognise the macbook through the dock. The monitor works OK through HDMI directly connected, but just goes to power save with the dock. I have Power Save > Off in the monitor settings.

Any ideas?

Which model dock? Try lowering the refresh rate and see if there is a point where it works.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Any ideas?

Could be drivers, dock firmware or just a brand of dock that is bad and doesn’t play nice with PCs. We had to support idiot c-suite who insisted on using a Mac (for no reason in a windows shop) and man, the docks are just a vast field of trash. Or at least they were a couple years ago.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Might be related to the M1 aspect more than the Mac part. I had an AW3418DW that I never had an issue with using a Caldigit TS3 Thunderbolt dock on an Intel Macbook Pro 15". The HDMI port on the AW3418DW only handles 50 Hz unfortunately at 3440x1440 but maybe running SwitchResX can help.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the first cable certified for the maximum DP2.0 bandwidth (80gbps) has been announced

https://www.bizlinktech.com/news/detail/67

looks like they can only run it over about 30cm of copper before the signal disintegrates lol

hope your PC is on your desk because these cables aren't going to reach the floor

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 27, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Just went through pretty much this exact issue with my partner swapping from an older Intel-based MBP to a M1 with that same monitor: using her MBP or my ThinkPad and a dock that works just fine for MBP -> dock -> monitor at 3440x1440@50, the M1 just would not work. Who knows who to blame on that (maybe Apple decided to be more picky, maybe the dock was never technically in spec compliance to begin with, maybe Intel had some non-spec feature or workaround that made docs work better, who knows), but the "fix" for us at least was her buying one of the $300 Razer (because RGB) TB4 docks. Works just fine with that. The non-working dock was a TB3 one, so maybe that's got some play in this game.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is there an adapter to take HDMI/DP output and combine it with power to do video and power to a USB-C port? I got my weird little 10.5" touchscreen monitor in and it works nicely, but it's a pain having to connect both the mini-HDMI and USB-C for power cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
no issue driving the AW3423DW at 3440x1440@100 with an M1 MBA using a Belkin TB4 dock