Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nullsmack posted:

In before it turns out Mariner lived through a Groundhog Day like scenario.

Depending on the specifics of the Enterprise-D childhood theory, she could've gone through the events of Cause & Effect, unless she was off at the academy by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao

https://twitter.com/synthnscifi/status/1563637893549084672?s=21&t=gSFYfo7MEhO8nfoiovun0Q

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Picard S3 prediction: The first two or three episodes will show a lot of promise but it'll go rapidly downhill from there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Technowolf posted:

Picard S3 prediction: The first two or three episodes will show a lot of promise but it'll go rapidly downhill from there.

This and we will all watch the whole thing anyway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

The best thing about Star Trek: Picard at this point is that regardless of their impending quality, there are only ten more episodes of it left to burn through and then it is finished forever.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Technowolf posted:

Definitely don't forget the three episodes in the middle they spend getting to the place determined in episode 3 with almost no story progression and at least one character introduced that you expect will have a big part of the final episodes that never shows up again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Has it occurred to anyone that Mariner may be seriously embellishing her stories? It would make sense for a newly minted Ensign Mariner in the 2370s to "serve" on DS9 for like two weeks before transfer to the Quito. Just because it's a hub.

I don't think that's in the text of the show. Her stories are consistent with events in episodes in terms of the 'comic reality' the show exists in and at no point has any character suggested that she's an unreliable narrator.

The only bit that is inconsistent is that in Mariner's flashbacks she's generally being competent. I'm surprised the show hasn't gone for the obvious joke montage of Mariner getting sacked from every post she's ever been on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

You think an episode from the 60s pointing out that racism is inherently ridiculous is dumb?

Lokai's people have been enslaved and degraded for millennia, yet he is portrayed as this insane revolutionary who is willing to let anybody die for his cause. The crew of the Enterprise are largely unsympathetic or uncary about his motivations. Bele has been chasing him for 50 000 years, and goes on a massive rant about how he wants to herd Lokai's people into districts and keep them repressed.

And yet the message from Kirk and Spock is that both men need to learn to give up their hate. The moral is that Lokai is just as bad as his oppressor. The episode ends with:

quote:

"It doesn't make any sense."
"To expect sense from two mentalities of such extreme viewpoints, is not logical."
"But their planet's dead. Does it matter now which one of them was right?"
"Not to Lokai and Bele. All that matters to them is their hate."
"Do you suppose that's all they ever had, sir?"
"No… but that's all they have left."

Right there, we're plainly told that the revolutionary fighting for freedom from his people, the guy who is wracked with terror at the sight of the man who wants to kill him, is an illogical extremist.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

, yet he is portrayed as this insane revolutionary who is willing to let anybody die for his cause.

It is possible for a cause to be just, but for the means to be unjust. I don't care what Lenin thought, the revolution does not justify itself, and the French Revolution lost the soul of their cause when they decided upon Terror.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh yeah, we don't get confirmation of that. The guy who is chasing him and bragging about ethnic cleansing says "this dude is an evil madman" and the crew just shrug and accept it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Part of the problem is that they're basically godlike aliens that the crew of the Enterprise can do nothing to stop. They only get them to stand down by threatening to destroy the shop, and that only works once.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started Prodigy last night. It's really good! The art style is gorgeous. It's got a pretty good hook. It's aimed at a younger audience but it doesn't feel like it's talking down to them at all.

I'm on the third episode now and the plot is classic Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh yeah, we don't get confirmation of that. The guy who is chasing him and bragging about ethnic cleansing says "this dude is an evil madman" and the crew just shrug and accept it.
Yeah and in general they treat the escaped slave more skeptically than his oppressor and that’s a bad look

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Right there, we're plainly told that the revolutionary fighting for freedom from his people, the guy who is wracked with terror at the sight of the man who wants to kill him, is an illogical extremist.

I just looked at a synopsis. Isn't the main point that everybody else from that planet is dead and these two guys are going to continue their chase? Apparently Kirk offered Lokai the chance to just live in the Federation and start a new life and he refused. If Starfleet was skeptical of Lokai, it was more because he stole some poo poo from them. But apparently they were still willing to consider his request for asylum.

The episode was a 60s era comment on the absurdity of racism with a side of "both sidesism." Recall that William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols had to deliberately flub every take that wasn't them kissing to get their kiss on TV. No way was Star Trek going to be able to say out loud that white people are/were racist assholes who ruin(ed) things for black people.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Isn’t it wonderful how far we’ve come since the sixties that we can take an episode that barely made it to television for being too progressive, and criticize it for not being progressive enough?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm finally getting around to watching LDS, and it's a lot of fun, but in the Season 2 finale I can't get past one (production) issue--

WTF is wrong with Lycia Naff's audio? Did they ever discuss why she sounds blown out and hissy? Is it COVID stuff?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching LDS, and it's a lot of fun, but in the Season 2 finale I can't get past one (production) issue--

WTF is wrong with Lycia Naff's audio? Did they ever discuss why she sounds blown out and hissy? Is it COVID stuff?

Most likely, yes. Season 2 was recording in full-on quarantine, so a lot of guest stars who normally didn't do voice work had to rustle up DIY recording booths. Jack Quaid famously tweeted out a picture of him recording lines for Boimler in like a walk-in closet or bathroom in his hotel during COVID quarantine in lieu of a proper recording booth.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Jerusalem posted:

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" didn't work out so well for that guy either.

Underappreciated post right here

This episode of Lower Decks was great I loved the little gently-ribbing love-letters to First Contact.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tracecomplete posted:

Yes. 100% of Season 2 was done as work from home, including all the audio recording. She clearly didn't have a great setup and they did the best they could.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CBS was animating episodes of live action shows to make sure they could finish their seasons during the lock down. Imagine being some boomer who hasn't watched anything animated since Pixie and Dixie and turning on your lawyer show and it's a cartoon now.

Speaking of cartoons. I finished Prodigy today. It was great! It actually felt like Star Trek. I got a good laugh at Goth Janeway. The finale actually has me interested in the next season rather than feeling abject misery like Picard Season 2 did.

Shame that Rene Auberjonois wasn't around to record new lines for the Kobiyashi Maru episode.
He was the best voice actor for all the legacy characters they chose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh why can't I fart!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

CBS was animating episodes of live action shows to make sure they could finish their seasons during the lock down.

When did CBS do this? I know NBC had to do it for The Blacklist, and the results were hilariously awful.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

tracecomplete posted:

Greatest Trek podcast just had an interview with Mike McMahan last week and he brought up that there was at least one scene in season 2 where the audio was completely blown out because one of the folks had to record at home and Netflix had already bought out every quality microphone in the area because of COVID, so they were forced to live with it. Sounds like the exact thing he was mentioning.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

When did CBS do this? I know NBC had to do it for The Blacklist, and the results were hilariously awful.

From what I remember, they did it for The Good Fight. But... I just might be conflating it with The Blacklist. I don't watch either of those shows. Just remembered that they were scrambling with ways to finish them.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh why can't I fart!!

Jack Quaid's delivery through that whole sequence of logs is kinda ridiculously well done, like if he doesn't have some kinda award for voice performances that should do it, right

There's no substitute for first- HURGH- first-hand data!

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 29, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Bloop posted:

Look, if I'm going to insist on how terrible Picard is, I may as well have the authority to do so.

Plus if Season 3 is somehow good, it'll be the most amazing thing to watch live.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

interview with Jack Quaid on the LDS/SNW crossover:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Look, if I'm going to insist on how terrible Picard is, I may as well have the authority to do so.

Plus if Season 3 is somehow good, it'll be the most amazing thing to watch live.

Discount takes from people who hates a show so much they didn't finish it... What can you even know, you quit!! To truly evaluate a terrible thing you must eat it all.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

interview with Jack Quaid on the LDS/SNW crossover:

This is going to be the stupidest loving thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's exciting because it's like the first actually new thing Trek has done since TAS I guess. After that they've only got silent movies and claymation to do.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I hope at some point we get the SNW cast animated TAS style.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

chglcu posted:

Yes and it’s going to rule.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

It's exciting because it's like the first actually new thing Trek has done since TAS I guess. After that they've only got silent movies and claymation to do.

The SNW claymation/Rankin-Bass stop motion Holiday Special will whip rear end

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I hope at some point we get the SNW cast animated TAS style.

I'm hoping it's just every time we follow the SNW cast, it's live action, while when we follow the LD cast it's animated. Seeing their perspective basically.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
drat, I'm actually excited for upcoming Star Trek content.

Feels weird, man.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

MillennialVulcan posted:

Greatest Trek podcast just had an interview with Mike McMahan last week and he brought up that there was at least one scene in season 2 where the audio was completely blown out because one of the folks had to record at home and Netflix had already bought out every quality microphone in the area because of COVID, so they were forced to live with it. Sounds like the exact thing he was mentioning.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I had a mess of a time getting my team even fairly cheap Samsons for corp-media stuff and I ended up selling like half my mic locker (a SM7b, a couple ElectroVoices, some shotgun mics and pencil condensers) for more than I paid for them originally.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

drat, I'm actually excited for upcoming Star Trek content.

Feels weird, man.

We've slowly crawled out of the muck of dreading new Star Trek content all year to now only dreading about half a year's worth of Star Trek content while being eagerly excited for the other half's worth of Star Trek content. And once Picard's done that ratio goes from 2:3 bad shows/good shows to 1:3 bad show/good shows :buddy:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

We've slowly crawled out of the muck of dreading new Star Trek content all year to now only dreading about half a year's worth of Star Trek content while being eagerly excited for the other half's worth of Star Trek content. And once Picard's done that ratio goes from 2:3 bad shows/good shows to 1:3 bad show/good shows :buddy:

Just in time to launch Section 31 Academy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chglcu posted:

It’s going to own actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003