Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
idk the bird didn’t exactly seem to be happy (not that it was freaking out or anything). find these a little weird if i’m honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

mediaphage posted:

idk the bird didn’t exactly seem to be happy (not that it was freaking out or anything). find these a little weird if i’m honest

I feel bad for the birds, poor things.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Idk, I used to do silly stuff like this to tease my lovebird and she was always a pretty good sport about it. But she would also insist on sticking her entire head in my mouth to pick my teeth and get very upset if I wouldn't let her, so maybe she was just a weirdo.

Usually the birds in this meme seem aware they're being goofed and are at most moderately irritated in a cute way. I think this one is just more alarmed because their person is acting upset by it :ohdear:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Think of it this way: It increases the likelihood of people with TikTok accounts losing fingats, and if they lose enough they won't be able to post to TikTok anymore.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Okay boomer

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm pretty certain the audio of crying is just overlayed on the video. These are harmless goofy brief skits that just confuse a bird for a few moments with being covered by food. I'll be concerned once I see somebody take a bite out of a live bird.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i love the smell of bird feathers and i stick my nose in the fluffy tummy of my bird the same way i do for the pages of a freshly printed book

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Popoto posted:

i love the smell of bird feathers and i stick my nose in the fluffy tummy of my bird the same way i do for the pages of a freshly printed book

Bird smell so good.

Pesto smell like Corn Pops
Mayo smells like fresh cream and sweet shrimp without that seafood twang

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 22, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

alex smells like honey

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's funny that this topic came up; Kay checked on Saturday and it turns out Agrippa smells like their nose bleeding

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka smells like baby powder because he is essentially a large pile of it

E for pleasant smelling cloud

Eejit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 22, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eejit posted:

Teeka smells like baby powder because he is essentially a large pile of it

E for pleasant smelling cloud

mister fluffenchops!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My long-lost cockatiel Looloo smelled like baby powder, and Pookie smells... well it's hard to describe.
It's a little bit sharp, a bit musty and a bit sweet. It's very distinctive and pretty strong because she's a grubby bird who won't take a dang bath.

My bird is a goon :cry:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My budgie smells like that clean skin smell you have when you've been out in the sun for a while. With a hint of something really nice, talcum powder maybe. I dunno. But I've been giving her lots of little bops on the beak lately and she's been accepting my obsequience, but jokes on her, I'm just doing it to smell her.

https://streamable.com/p9ei4x

She's my little noodle. I wolf whistle at the end cause my other budgie wolf whistles back, it's like our own personal flock call.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 22, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

My budgie smells like that clean skin smell you have when you've been out in the sun for a while. With a hint of something really nice, talcum powder maybe. I dunno. But I've been giving her lots of little bops on the beak lately and she's been accepting my obsequience, but jokes on her, I'm just doing it to smell her.

https://streamable.com/p9ei4x

She's my little noodle. I wolf whistle at the end cause my other budgie wolf whistles back, it's like our own personal flock call.

:kimchi:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What a tease, she looked like she was charging a fluff wiggle at the end but then denied us the satisfaction. All buildup and no payoff, little noodle

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/CHERRI_SAURIO/status/1561796934867771393?s=20&t=e3FqxSubPs8yYRzadotmJQ

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mediaphage posted:

mister fluffenchops!!

The funny thing is that his left chops are significantly more fluffy than the right. He has neurological damage so makes sense but it does look a little silly. Also he doesn't care as long as he gets to snuggle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eejit posted:

The funny thing is that his left chops are significantly more fluffy than the right. He has neurological damage so makes sense but it does look a little silly. Also he doesn't care as long as he gets to snuggle

awww i love him

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Eejit posted:

Not silly, charismatic :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Not silly, charismatic :3:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I agree the bird sandwich videos are actually kinda creepy. Do not want.

Sinbad smells like popcorn I think.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If i tried to put Pookie in a sandwich, she'd have my goddamn nose bitten clean off lol

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Saw this:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/738a26d8-0f37-40a2-a6be-301251827096/1
its some good mangaborbs

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

PERCY (female): let's scratch each other's hard-to-reach areas on our heads, real slow and gentle like

CURIOSITY (male): I'M GOING TO BARF INTO YOUR MOUTH AS A PRELUDE TO SEX

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pookah posted:

If i tried to put Pookie in a sandwich, she'd have my goddamn nose bitten clean off lol

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if I tried to put Peanut in a sandwich, he'd be absolutely thrilled with all the food.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I think Sunny would alternate between trying to escape from the bread and trying to eat the bread. Whenever she's out of her cage in the morning and I'm making my kid's sandwich for lunch, she'll fly down onto the counter and try to get into the breadloaf bag. I shoo her away, which probably only makes her want it more. :argh:

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Of course! Its the forbidden bread in the forbidden bag, therefore, it must be extra delicious! And you want it all for yourself! This 'not for birds' bit is just a filthy lie to keep all the forbidden bread for yourself.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Apologies for the bird sandwiches/tacos.

https://i.imgur.com/eFlfwiB.mp4

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

as a bird lawyer, I am certain this bird is entitled to SUBSTANTIAL financial compensation for this horrendous injury

https://i.imgur.com/5Fcib4R.mp4

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Today I'm traveling for surgery. My sister is going to watch my birds. Right now, they're with me, unaware that I'm just going to disappear for several days.

I wish I could explain things. They're going to be so mad.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This picture my sister took of Sera and sent to me while she was watching my boys is the best picture of him there ever has been.

Going home today. I miss my birds so much.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How does it work for you when you travel, do you take them to family / friends, or do they stop by your house for a bit each day to just change food and water?

I get absolutely terrified and anxious when I think of the inevitable travelling I'll have to do. I haven't taken a single vacation since I started work exactly one year ago because I've got no one I trust to look after my two. Boss sat down with me a few weeks back and said next year I'll be sent to Europe and America for training and the first thought I had was "oh poo poo who will look after my two girls". This coming January, I'll be on 12 hours shifts for 15 days in a row, one day off, then another 15 days of 12 hour shifts. It gives me so much anxiety thinking what the hell I'll do about my two, because they'll barely see me. Coworkers told me I should aim for night shift as I'll be able to see them more than if I were on 7am-7pm. I love these two so drat much but my life would be heaps easier if I didn't have the responsibility.

I'm single and comfy, I could have travelled to so many cool places this past year. But I am instead Bird Dad. Which I guess I'm alright with when I think about it.

Unrelated: had to catch both girls last night to give them ivermectin as I'm positive Chick has air sac mites. Gave them both Vetafarm Scatt one month ago and Chick started becoming vocal again, singing, whistling, squawking. Gave them ivermectin last night as Chick isn't fully over the croakiness. Broke my heart. Wasabi was slightly easy, I just dim the lights so it's dark and slowly grab her with my hand, but there was some freaking out. When I did that to Chick, she went berserk, kept splaying her wings and screaming. So I turned the lights back on and caught her in the light. It kills me because she trusts me right up until the last second when she realises I'm grabbing her, but it's one of those things that can't be helped.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 3, 2022

bee
Dec 17, 2008

When Rainbow was injured I had to grab her twice a day for about two weeks to administer her medicine and she HATED it. She was clearly cranky at me for a while after that but she did get over it and start taking food out of my hand again eventually.

Re going away, I don't really have anyone who can look after our birds while we travel, so we use a house sitting service and screen for someone who is experienced with birds. It's worked ok so far, the sitters are usually cool with sending photo/video updates every other day and the birds all seemed to cope fine while we were gone.

Alternatively if you don't like the idea of a stranger in your house, maybe see if there are any bird rescues nearby, they might be willing to care for your buddies when you are away in return for a donation?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah I've had to grab both in the past due to medicine (it's why I will go out of my way to get medication that goes in the water, less stress for all involved). Both girls still love me, but Wasabi has developed a pretty strong aversion to hands. She's still alright with my shoulders and arms and head. No longer as close or cuddly as she used to be. Chick will fight like a banshee if I grab her, but she gets over it fast and hasn't developed a fear of my hands. Though I've only grabbed her maybe 4 times in her life compared to Wasabi's 30+ times.

There are pet sitting services here, but it's all catered towards cats and dogs. The cost is also exorbitant, or requires the pets to be relocated (which I don't like doing due to the stress). Kuwait is a bit of a third world shithole. I think I may just lean on my downstairs neighbour to come in once a day to change food and water, he's a lovely guy so I'm sure he wouldn't mind, he'd get his kids to do it.

Bird rescues? Animal rights don't exist here. There's not even a reliable avian vet in this entire country. I've gone top to bottom and spent hundreds of bucks on a bunch of jerks who claim to be avian vets, and spoken with so many bird owners who have their birds dead or in the process of dying because these "vets" gave medicine that just obliterated their organs.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Qubee posted:

How does it work for you when you travel, do you take them to family / friends, or do they stop by your house for a bit each day to just change food and water?

My sister loves my birds, but they have a cat, so what works best for us is if she comes by and spends some time with them every day. Food and water and a visit. Sera in particular adores her, but he's a big flirt.

I really don't travel often. I'm getting thoroughly fussed at this morning.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Starr passed away this past spring after a few months of care for her case of egg yolk peritonitis - and her treatment required medicine twice a day for her last 3-4 months. (I didn’t post because I hate to be a downer, but she passed while at the vet, so they were able to administer birdie xanax so she went out unafraid, beak full of millet, got to hang out with me for a nice half hour, and around familiar people- not a bad way to go!)

She never enjoyed the medicine, but she didn’t hate me afterwards- because we spent so much time together during those months, she still trusted me (unless I tried to catch her in my palm in the room where I administered her meds).
You won’t irreparably damage your relationship by giving them medicine, and it’s for their own good. They HATE it, but they get over it soon, since they can only hold a few thoughts at a time :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

So sorry for your loss ❤️ Starr was a gorgeous little lady and her life was full of love and happiness because of you x

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Hug in a Can posted:

Starr passed away this past spring after a few months of care for her case of egg yolk peritonitis - and her treatment required medicine twice a day for her last 3-4 months. (I didn’t post because I hate to be a downer, but she passed while at the vet, so they were able to administer birdie xanax so she went out unafraid, beak full of millet, got to hang out with me for a nice half hour, and around familiar people- not a bad way to go!)

She never enjoyed the medicine, but she didn’t hate me afterwards- because we spent so much time together during those months, she still trusted me (unless I tried to catch her in my palm in the room where I administered her meds).
You won’t irreparably damage your relationship by giving them medicine, and it’s for their own good. They HATE it, but they get over it soon, since they can only hold a few thoughts at a time :)

You gave that bird a love filled family, and I know they were surrounded by love. Thank you for being such a kind hearted bird caretaker, and I'm sorry for what you're going through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm sorry about Starr.

I never know what to say. Sometimes it's enough to know that we did the best by our pets while we could.