Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I kinda wish it they had incorporated the Southsun stuff into the new LS1, wish non-human nobles got to meet Faren there instead of having him pop up during the most recent episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Faren is a dumb himbo (in a good way)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ugh I want to get the expansions but the cheapass deal-seaking part of me requires there to be some sort of sale. I thought for sure there would be something for the 10 year anniversary.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So I’m loving greatsword Mesmer and sword pistol Mesmer are those good or am I setting myself up for future disappointments? Also cooking discovery decently fun as I try to hunt down new ingredients.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ugh I want to get the expansions but the cheapass deal-seaking part of me requires there to be some sort of sale. I thought for sure there would be something for the 10 year anniversary.

All 3 expansions for $50 felt like a pretty decent price to me. Esp considering I bought this game close to 10 years ago

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I’m loving greatsword Mesmer and sword pistol Mesmer are those good or am I setting myself up for future disappointments? Also cooking discovery decently fun as I try to hunt down new ingredients.

Mesmer doesn't really have any bad weapons, thankfully.

Scepter/Pistol might flow better. Sword/Torch can be a lot of fun.
Just try everything out and play what you want.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Probably wait and see for next week.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm just now getting back into the game after about 2 years, is it true that warriors have fallen from grace in a pretty major way? I mostly stick to open world stuff so I suppose balance isn't that critical (and I still have a lot of fun zipping around with my heavily armored regenerating might factory at any rate) but it'd be good to know if I ever get back into WvW.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Jabarto posted:

I'm just now getting back into the game after about 2 years, is it true that warriors have fallen from grace in a pretty major way? I mostly stick to open world stuff so I suppose balance isn't that critical (and I still have a lot of fun zipping around with my heavily armored regenerating might factory at any rate) but it'd be good to know if I ever get back into WvW.

Warrior is very solid for the content you do. Fall from graces are only relevant in raiding.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

Axe/Torch is a lot of fun.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Mohawk Potato posted:

I've been playing a Mirage in open world with Viper armor. Weapons are Staff and Axe/Pistol.

I've never had more fun. You're almost unkillable and with a little ramp up you tear through things. Plus lots of moving and blinking around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Bladesworn make big numbers appear and make noticeable burst chunks of health disappear in bosses, in PvP bladesworn also dominate.

Though for raids or open world 99% of the time you'll just be wondering why you are wasting your time positioning and pressing keys on your keyboard and even having to time those presses instead of just playing power mech instead and ignoring all that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bladesworn make big numbers appear and make noticeable burst chunks of health disappear in bosses, in PvP bladesworn also dominate.

Though for raids or open world 99% of the time you'll just be wondering why you are wasting your time positioning and pressing keys on your keyboard and even having to time those presses instead of just playing power mech instead and ignoring all that.

Snowcrows, the raid site, supplies exquisitely detailed rotation guides for every build they endorse. Which skill when, when to weapon swap, how to adjust for more cc and how to recover if you get interrupted. Some of the rotations are 30 skills long.

The mechanist entry is just "press all your weapon skills off cool down"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That was written before they patched it so you could auto-cast the mech skills, it would of cut down on that guide.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I dropped FF14 because it relies so heavily on rote rotations. It made playing even flashy classes boring.

GW2 I like because your auto attack often does great damage and then your other skills are brought in situationally.

Nothing is more boring to me than having to memorize a string of numbers. That's not a game, that's homework.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Christ, getting around Verdant Brink sucks when you only have basic glider. It's annoying having enough mastery points but still having to fill out the bar to learn it or whatever.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

explosivo posted:

Christ, getting around Verdant Brink sucks when you only have basic glider. It's annoying having enough mastery points but still having to fill out the bar to learn it or whatever.

This is the opposite of the problem you will have for most of HOT.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
HoT was loving dreadful. I somehow managed to slog through it on my warrior but aside from Tarir (one of my favorite areas in the whole game), every single step was a frustrating slog.

Side note, but is Living Story 1 playable now? It looks like it has more than just a journal entry recap. Feels weird to start on that when I'm in the middle of PoF, but I've been dealing with Eir's Kid, Smug Plant Man, Annoying Gremlin Tech Girl, and Two Random Human Women for like 3 years now and I'm desperate to figure out why I'm supposed to care about them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Logged in just to get some freebies and check the inventory of my mesmer who is in one of the HoT zones (second one I think? Around a big temple). Noticed a large group of players standing around when a wall of plants disappeared and they all rushed in. Randomly spammed buttons at things that looked like bad guys (lol I don't remember what any of the buttons do yet). Stuff died and then everyone jumped into an underdround temple where I opened like 30 treasure chests full of random stuff I'm clueless about.

No clue what I just did but it was fun!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Logged in just to get some freebies and check the inventory of my mesmer who is in one of the HoT zones (second one I think? Around a big temple). Noticed a large group of players standing around when a wall of plants disappeared and they all rushed in. Randomly spammed buttons at things that looked like bad guys (lol I don't remember what any of the buttons do yet). Stuff died and then everyone jumped into an underdround temple where I opened like 30 treasure chests full of random stuff I'm clueless about.

No clue what I just did but it was fun!
Sounds like Octovine and yeah it's great. As long as you have the keys to open the chests :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Inzombiac posted:

I dropped FF14 because it relies so heavily on rote rotations. It made playing even flashy classes boring.

GW2 I like because your auto attack often does great damage and then your other skills are brought in situationally.

Nothing is more boring to me than having to memorize a string of numbers. That's not a game, that's homework.

well, actually...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We don't talk about Weaver.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

orcane posted:

Sounds like Octovine and yeah it's great. As long as you have the keys to open the chests :v:

I guess I did! I have to admit, looking at my inventory and bank is kind of overwhelming. I'll have to read some guides on loot colors and the 1000 seemingly different kinds of currencies in my wallet.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Jabarto posted:

Side note, but is Living Story 1 playable now? It looks like it has more than just a journal entry recap. Feels weird to start on that when I'm in the middle of PoF, but I've been dealing with Eir's Kid, Smug Plant Man, Annoying Gremlin Tech Girl, and Two Random Human Women for like 3 years now and I'm desperate to figure out why I'm supposed to care about them.

LS1 has three of the probably five chapters playable now. Canach is from the Southsun portion that isn't related to Scarlet's stuff so I don't know if he'll be introduced.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What happened to all the cool backpacks engineers got for their kits?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They’re gone because the Engineer used them to build their mech

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

May I suggest you never play Chronomancer then? :D

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I guess I did! I have to admit, looking at my inventory and bank is kind of overwhelming. I'll have to read some guides on loot colors and the 1000 seemingly different kinds of currencies in my wallet.

This page may be of help to you then: http://gw.zweistein.cz/gw2stacks/

It requires your API key. The GW2 Wiki has a guide on how to get that/set it up.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Folks calling for mech nerfs but I hope they don't. It's been nice having a brain dead spec when learning raid mechanics and not feel like you're letting the group down with low dps. They need to always have at least one spec like that to keep the entry barrier accessible.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just tried rifle power mech after a long time as a condition engineer and then power holo and my god it is so nice to not be playing the piano for reasonable numbers.

Just wish my mech’s appearance was customizable, he’s too green!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the main pain point comes from mech being the only thing like that (besides firebrand)

Elementalist don't really have a 1 button option, it's an entirely different game for them and all that effort usually comes up short of that 1 button play.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Easy / Low intensity builds have existed for years. Bomb kit engi was one of the originals, even. https://dd.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5x9ku5/the_casual_power_engineer/ OP notes that it does ~27k, putting it around Condi PS Warrior, Revenant, and Hammer Guardian at the time. Since then, SB/SB Soulbeast and Condi Scourge arose as well, though you just kind of mash all your buttons for those instead of autoattacking to victory.

Power Mechanist is in the spotlight right now because it consistently and easily beats higher effort/risk builds, instead of hanging out closer to the hybrid support dps tier.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah faceroll builds are important for the health of the game and I vastly prefer not giving myself carpal tunnel with complex rotations and wretched hand contortions. I'll take a new player providing decent DPS with his "scrub" build over one flailing around with a Weaver or Chronomancer or something and doing jack poo poo.

I don't even care about them in PvP - yeah they can literally spam autoattack and do just fine in the lower ranks, so what. If it helps people learn the fundamentals of playing the objectives / interacting with map mechanics then I'm all for it. Once you know what you're doing they're trivial to play around and you literally never see them at higher tiers of play, which means they're probably not as busted as people cry about in the lobby chat.

Now I *do* think that a complex build, when played correctly, should outperform the simple builds, and maybe there's an argument to be made that that isn't happening, or at least to a degree that would warrant the extra effort involved. But I agree with the poster above who bounced off of FFXIV because of the endless repetition of the "optimal" skill rotation. That's simultaneously really boring and also requires a lot of mental energy / attention, which is not what I'm looking for when I play a video game. For those that like that playstyle, more power to you, and I'm glad there are specs that scratch that itch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm not gonna stick around with any game where my face has to be glued to a cooldown bar.

If they insist on that level of complexity but don't allow macros, they can go gently caress themselves.
Additional complexity is not good design and does not actually reward skill.

Making it so that people have to read the battles and respond appropriately is skill-based design that lots of MMOs don't do.

It's not rewarding, imo, to memorize a "perfect" rotation for optimal DPS and only do that until the death of the universe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've mained ele since the beginning and have never memorized a rotation. I just go with what feels like it flows well and it's always got the job done. Yeah, I'm probably not hitting benchmarks, but who really does on any profession (save rifle mech) aside from the hardcore ones?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna stick around with any game where my face has to be glued to a cooldown bar.

If they insist on that level of complexity but don't allow macros, they can go gently caress themselves.
Additional complexity is not good design and does not actually reward skill.

Making it so that people have to read the battles and respond appropriately is skill-based design that lots of MMOs don't do.

It's not rewarding, imo, to memorize a "perfect" rotation for optimal DPS and only do that until the death of the universe.

this is why i played axe mirage in raids/fractals for so long, all the damage was tied to dodging, and it made the whole game really fun and fluid because you gained damage by paying attention to the game and avoiding attacks without interrupting your flow

the only time i needed to check my cooldowns was whether i had enough energy left or if i needed to swap weapons. that was it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agree with there should be specs that are easy to play and specs that make you sweat, agree that a sweaty spec played well should do better than an easy spec played well, but they shouldn't be so far out of alignment that a group only takes sweaty dudes, unless that's your thing.

Also, just got my ascended light saber on my engineer, first ascended weapon ever

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
I think people wouldn't be as salty about the state of Mech if ArenaNet hadn't, until very recently, nerfed those piano specs or other decidedly not over the top specs without rhyme or reason. Ele got shafted bad repeatedly, Warrior banner changes were called some of the worst class changes in the history of the game, after being hyped up for months as finally bringing Warrior up to the standard of other classes.

Having the logs of a Discord used for Devs and Streamers to talk balance on leaked also didn't help. Not when seeing the "lead balance dev" play favorites towards his pet specs and laugh about players likely being salty in a few weeks time when they see some of the nerfs to other specs he doesn't like nor play. Allegedly changes to Ranger happened based on one of the devs reading the Wiki and not actually playing the game.

Also, MMO players as a faceless mass are idiots and put way too much stock into what's meta. That ship sailed long ago and won't come back. So the only way to bring the Mech and Guardian player numbers back down is to bring them in line with other classes. Either through nerfing them (has implications, e.g. in case of Guardian WvW meta would likely change) or buffing others (different implications like overall power creep).

Luggage fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 29, 2022

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I'm coming back to this after last playing on and off during 2020 and 2021 (before that was the first two months from launch). So far I've rediscovered how fun the dual-pistol Deadeye build can be, just going Tomb Raider on everyone. :blastu: Reaper still owns as well and I've been enjoying Vindicator too.

Before I stopped playing last time I got 100% world completion on one of my characters, so I figured now I'll start doing WvW stuff to get a Gift of Battle or two and work towards crafting Legendary weapons that require a Gift of Mastery. I haven't decided on what profession/build I'll use for WvW yet, but are there any resources or tips in general for progressing through the reward tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Genthil posted:

tips in general for progressing through the reward tracks?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track#Increasing_Participation
Get to and stay at T6 participation. You gain participation by doing stuff, and you maintain participation by also doing stuff (but not all stuff). If you find your participation is starting to decay, find a guard to reset your timer until you're able to find a camp/tower/keep/battle/whatever.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track#Reward_track_modifiers
Use as many of these reward track buffs as you can if you want to get through the tracks ASAP. The guild enhancement is free so you should always be using that even if you don't want to use resources.