Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
30minutes left to defeat these scissor fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not a big fan of how people can just walk up to your spawn location pretty easily in the three way battle. Getting spawn camped sucks.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Bloop posted:

Shiver has one flat ear and one concave ear and it's weird

It's because the 'ears' are the fin and siphon of an octopus.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What does clout do?

Also, holy poo poo do I want to take a Splatoon break and get into related activities, like shopping for stuff and playing that card game.

Core game seems super fun, though. I am WAY better using a Splatana than I am with the rollers.

Anyone have any roller tips?

Clout is how they determine who wins the Splatfest, instead of just counting wins. The team with the most collective clout wins. There are separate clout totals for Turf War/Tri battles and Pro. I forget the difference, Pro calculates clout differently I think.

Used to be whichever team got the best of three categories (popularity/regular clout/pro clout) would win but since there are three choices now it’s possible that could lead to a tie.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just spent the last 45 minutes frustratedly wondering why I was only getting regular turf wars and not the cool new tri-team matches. Then I discovered you need to pick a different option in the match menu.

:suicide:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Does the winning team, in this case scissors, even get a choice or are they forced into the tri-team playlist?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gutcruncher posted:

Does the winning team, in this case scissors, even get a choice or are they forced into the tri-team playlist?

I did a regular turf war against a scissors team, they get a choice

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gutcruncher posted:

The winning team can't choose to partake in tri-colors, the option is banned for them. Instead it'll happen randomly for players queued up for open splatfests. For them it's RNG on which kind of match they get into, a normal match, or the three way.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I really hope they add some kind of forced tutorial into the full game for how tricolor works - nothing more frustrating tonight than getting all four enemy players off of the point only to die to some idiot on the other smaller team sniping me before I can cap the sprinkler.

Anyway, game fun. I'll never use anything but the Crab Tank, so I can't wait for them to give it to weapons that I actually want to use and also for them to buff the Crab Tank.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Bleck posted:

I really hope they add some kind of forced tutorial into the full game for how tricolor works - nothing more frustrating tonight than getting all four enemy players off of the point only to die to some idiot on the other smaller team sniping me before I can cap the sprinkler.

Lol we wiped scissors and then the other team ran up to the thing so I ran up and murdered them both and took it :owned:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Anecdotally as someone on Team Paper and therefore one of the half teams I wasn't a big fan of the three way fights. A single teammate means that it's much easier to get a team full of weapons that don't synergize great, weapons that need more team support (the ones I like) are weaker, it was slightly confusing as to whether the other small team is my ally or not, and it was more annoying to have to ink your spawn location by yourself because, at least on Team Paper, everyone was just rushing the middle immediately.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hellioning posted:

Anecdotally as someone on Team Paper and therefore one of the half teams I wasn't a big fan of the three way fights. A single teammate means that it's much easier to get a team full of weapons that don't synergize great, weapons that need more team support (the ones I like) are weaker, it was slightly confusing as to whether the other small team is my ally or not, and it was more annoying to have to ink your spawn location by yourself because, at least on Team Paper, everyone was just rushing the middle immediately.

As a defender I found the roller super useful in a tricolori and I imagine it would be even more so as an attacker to maximize percentage.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The party abruptly disappearing made me sad

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hellioning posted:

Yeah. Not a fan of the 4v2v2 team battle. Maybe it needs to he 3v3v3 or 2v2v2. It just feels too chaotic for me. Like normally you have a nice contrast in the ground for what you need ink, but it’s just so messy it’s almost overwhelming of figuring out where to ink. At least in my games.

DC Murderverse posted:

As a defender I found the roller super useful in a tricolori and I imagine it would be even more so as an attacker to maximize percentage.

You cannot consistently play a tri-battle though. And if your the winning team it’s random.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah as a rock chooser, the like three tricolor matches I got into all felt very not fun. Support weapons are less useful, it's a risk to choose a weapon that isn't good at painting, if your one teammate isn't great then you're hosed, you can't coordinate with the enemy team in any way to attack the middle(and they'll often try to kill you even if it would be better not to), all around sloppy imo. If it was just pure terf war that'd be one thing, but framing it as an attack/defend scenario just doesn't work. It's also super easy to respawn only to find your entire base has been painted red, since there's comparatively much fewer players on your side to cover it up if like an aerospray happened to rat your team.

That being said, an actual 4v4 attack/defend game mode would be rad as hell

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I had a blast with the tricolor battles :shobon: (go rock)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lost a 333x match. Im so sorry Frye :negative:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hellioning posted:

i had a blast being on the attacking side as paper and it also becomes a lot more fun as well once you realize it incentivizes being a lil rat gently caress hitting all the annoying spots like their spawn

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

i had a blast being on the attacking side as paper and it also becomes a lot more fun as well once you realize it incentivizes being a lil rat gently caress hitting all the annoying spots like their spawn

absolutely, my squad were able to win almost every three-way match by being dicks and taking the spawn of the other attacker at the the last 20 seconds. Going up the middle was often suicide, but worth it if a couple of red had recently died

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was fun. Curious to see if scissors kept their hold.

I can’t wait to have my .96 Gal again.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

It is never morally wrong to dunk your "ally" in tricolor. That bonus clout belongs to you, afterall.

Though I didn't pay enough attention during the event, does getting 2nd place as the attackers get less clout for the win?

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

winning attackers got 6k for winning plus 2.5k per objective they captured. losing attacker got 5k, which is still pretty nice

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I tried both sides by just joining later with another Switch account on the family plan. Not like any of this carries over to the full game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Do we have any idea when the results will come in?

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
was a really fun test gotta say, the small gameplay changes were nice but honestly i was mostly blown away by the numerous annoyances they've paved over (i only had DCs one in every TEN matches instead of every other match, wooow)

Honestly my main disappointment was the Splatana. Inks like poo poo, the tap fire leaves weird gaps which make maneuvering annoying, the charged shot feels worse than both the roller and the brushes, less turf coverage than the splat charger...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Nope and most of the matches were tri battle. I found it very annoying since it was pretty easy to lose once they get a sprinkler or someone would ragequit. I imagine it will be tough to get the max rank for the sea urchins when the game is released if you pick the winning side. It's my only complaint though, the game is pretty good otherwise.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
wait, people were getting majority tri battles? i was queueing in almost exclusively for them and they had like, a 1/6 proc rate for me

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MetaMeme posted:

was a really fun test gotta say, the small gameplay changes were nice but honestly i was mostly blown away by the numerous annoyances they've paved over (i only had DCs one in every TEN matches instead of every other match, wooow)

Honestly my main disappointment was the Splatana. Inks like poo poo, the tap fire leaves weird gaps which make maneuvering annoying, the charged shot feels worse than both the roller and the brushes, less turf coverage than the splat charger...

deeply hoping the chainsaw version they showed off in the treehouse is as good as it looks. Just swapping speed for power *should* be enough to make teh sword feel good. Felt nuts how close you had to be for the charged slice to actually kill.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The chainsaw looks like it has the heft it deserves. I hope that version is good.

The Wiper feels too much like a wet noodle. It feels like a wishy washy version of an Inkbrush and something else, and I'd rather use the Inkbrush.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MetaMeme posted:

wait, people were getting majority tri battles? i was queueing in almost exclusively for them and they had like, a 1/6 proc rate for me

It might depend on what team you were on? I could imagine rock having a lot more players than paper, which would make it harder for them to find tri battles.

Or it’s just luck of the draw, I don’t know what the team sizes are actually like.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
So is there any way to stop matching other than force closing the game?

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

Araxxor posted:

The chainsaw looks like it has the heft it deserves. I hope that version is good.
I saw the chainsaw in the treehouse got hype for the splatfest and got so so disappointed by the wiper, agony

Snake Maze posted:

It might depend on what team you were on? I could imagine rock having a lot more players than paper, which would make it harder for them to find tri battles.

Or it’s just luck of the draw, I don’t know what the team sizes are actually like.
As a cruel and sick joke on me in particular, half the matches were instead a 4v4 against paper instead
Tri-battles being "wait 30 seconds longer per match for the slight chance to get in only for someone to DC" sucked tbh
It might be the topic but the team sizes feel really nice, I only remember seeing one or two Rock Dittos in like, 10 hours of play

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Not that I know of, I let it get up to 500 seconds before force closing the game one time

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
When I want to drop out of matchmaking, I undock my switch (I have an ethernet connection for my dock, like all of you should). Otherwise, you can put your switch to sleep for a few seconds.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I had a blast with this and cannot wait for the 9th

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What works for me is hitting home button and wait like ten or so seconds. When you go back to Splatoon it will give you the “you’ve been disconnected” message.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Found out about this while working at an event today and was so bummed out that it was only 12 hours. Luckily I was able to get home and get three hours in, which was as much fun as I remember the the free weekend they did for Splatoon 2 a while back.

Another volunteer is someone who my friends keep telling me is interested in me but I'm afraid when she wanted to come home tonight I had to say sorry bitch, I got squids to ink.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where the results.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i didn't see a single ditto for the entire day, now that you mention it. isn't that nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I queued for tri-battles exclusively when they were active as Team Paper and I got them 100% of the time and only got one DC, so.