Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember stories about him in an ask/tell thread at least 15 years ago about anime con stories. I don’t think any that outright talked about him assaulting anyone but definitely tales of him asking for underage girls’ numbers and handlers not being allowed to take their eyes off him. That was just here, too; I read similar things on other sites around the time. It’s one of the reasons that it’s impossible to take people defenders seriously when they act like this was just some recent metoo thing to slander him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I definitely remember the first time I saw murmurings of him was right after he got cast for RWBY, which was at least a few years before this whole shitshow started

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Didn't Vic get forced out of being a cop or a catholic elementary school teacher for an unspecified incident?

Or was it both?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I heard stories about Vic being creepy to teens literally decades ago. Like I remember it coming up when I was playing Persona 3 for the first time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MechaX posted:

Didn't Vic get forced out of being a cop or a catholic elementary school teacher for an unspecified incident?

Or was it both?

He has been both a cop and a school teacher, but I don't know if he was forced out or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The first time I remember hearing stories about what a creep Vic was was probably like 2010-ish, in a Book Barn thread of all place. It was in a thread for some self-published trashfire fantasy novel called The Felsic Current that folks were having a good time laughing about because its author was also god-tier convention weirdo with a long history of getting really creepily handsy with underaged girls at anime conventions. And someone was like "Man, he sounds like a z-grade Vic Mignogna" and people were like "Wait, what did Vic do?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is kind of unusual how Vic managed to try out so many different predator friendly fields and then fell into anime web-addicts as his Greek Chorus. I mean, if you looked at the history, he must have really hosed up his Fundamentalist Christianity via Liberty University trial run. You've got near infinite get out of jail free through the grace and power of god cards on that one. I remember that the pastor of my childhood church took decades to go too far, when he showed his dick to one of the old timers who wasn't having any of that "gay" stuff. I really found it funny that of all the stuff I found out he did in passing, it was the pulling his dick out to a guy that was the bridge too far. Jesus can forgive any sin other than making a 70+ year old guy look at a dick that isn't his own.

At least after all the years Vic finally managed to step on the one true trap, and blasphemed Capitalism by trying suing a multinational.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How did he flunk out of being a cop? Because there was a piece about how there's a few hundred cops in California that had pled guilty and were convicted of felonies and are still working cops (in different cities, but within California).

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Skwirl posted:

How did he flunk out of being a cop? Because there was a piece about how there's a few hundred cops in California that had pled guilty and were convicted of felonies and are still working cops (in different cities, but within California).

Other aspiring pervert cops ousted him for being way too hot in comparison to their hotdog neck steroids without exercise looking asses :confused:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nine-gear crow posted:

The first time I remember hearing stories about what a creep Vic was was probably like 2010-ish, in a Book Barn thread of all place. It was in a thread for some self-published trashfire fantasy novel called The Felsic Current that folks were having a good time laughing about because its author was also god-tier convention weirdo with a long history of getting really creepily handsy with underaged girls at anime conventions. And someone was like "Man, he sounds like a z-grade Vic Mignogna" and people were like "Wait, what did Vic do?"

how do you mention J F Bibeau without talking about his :stonk: costumes

e:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 28, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember that thread lmao

It's weird, my local con that many of my friends have worked Relations staff for over a decade always had a pretty decent relationship with Vic. He was still pretty Vic-ish, but for whatever reason he toned down a lot of his prima-donna act for us and ended up having a really good working relationship with the con. I think it got to the point that he had been a guest so many times that he actually came to know a lot of the Relation staff. Alas, that relationship ended pretty abruptly about a year or so before the Broly stuff. Another friend who worked Relations staff for a different con had a Two Liaisons rule for Vic, period, unless he brought his girlfriend with him.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Archives needed:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430675&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=56#post398328816

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

ImpAtom posted:

I heard stories about Vic being creepy to teens literally decades ago. Like I remember it coming up when I was playing Persona 3 for the first time.

Back when I used to be on a Fullmetal Alchemist forum back when the first series was airing in the US a few posters there mentioned meeting him at cons and him being strange. I can't recall explicit details but he had a rep and his FMA fan group, the Risenbool(?) Rangers seemed to really wane after a few too many con stories. I was honestly surprised when this whole thing kicked off with lots of people defending him because I thought it was just a known thing that he was at the very least a bit weird with fans. Honestly, in hindsight it's messed up older forum members didn't at least pass that info to someone relevant but yeah, I had thought he was a known element since, what, 2007-8?

If fullmetalalchemist.com is still up and hasn't deleted it's old threads there's probably a few anecdotes sitting on a server somewhere.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

New filling from Ty Beard
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1564796254177005569?t=LvqjYdZRs82SJKSBvnLjEg&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Man, Ty Beard continues to impress on how he can always pick the dumbest solution in a problem.

He could have just said "I need more time to write the motion" and they probably would have rubberstamped it. Hell, if the problem is on his client's end, he still could have said that he needs to a short extension so his client fully understands his options given the length and complexity of the judgment (a nice Judge would probably grant this, a mean Judge would be like "that's your client's problem bro" but still).

But saying "I need more time to actually read and understand this" and give mostly conflict dates after the deadline is pretty lol. Not saying this will happen, and the court would probably still grant some extension, but the magic might happen if one of the defense attorneys files a motion in opposition essentially saying "but your honor he was on chucklefuck Nick's livestream talking about the judgment in length and he didn't seem to have a problem then"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 31, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's the thing about being a lawyer - whether or not you have a meritorious argument - you always ask for a rehearing. Failure to do so could be grounds for malpractice. Unless you have explicit written instructions from your client to abandon the appeal, you work until the appeal is final. That means filing a motion for rehearing when a decision goes against you.

Courts will give you extra time to file things like this, even over opposition, for a lot of reasons. One of my favorite reasons that I have never seen denied outside of emergency postured items is a pre-planned vacation. You have a due date while you're scheduled to be in the Bahamas? File a motion for an extension with that as the explicit reason. Judge's don't want anyone loving with their vacation, and unless a lawyer has made them mad, they extend the same courtesy.

If Percy had filed a motion saying "Please give me more time I'm out of state for a planned vacation and will not return til after the rehearing motion is due." he would have received it over the objections of the appellants and cross-appellees. Asking a court for more time so you can think about whether or not you're going to do this extremely time limited thing is never going to fly over objection.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

If Percy had filed a motion saying "Please give me more time I'm out of state for a planned vacation and will not return til after the rehearing motion is due." he would have received it over the objections of the appellants and cross-appellees. Asking a court for more time so you can think about whether or not you're going to do this extremely time limited thing is never going to fly over objection.

Yes but the amusing part is that the filing was more of, "I need more time because I have a planned vacation the month after the filing is due!"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge's don't want anyone loving with their vacation, and unless a lawyer has made them mad, they extend the same courtesy.

I’ve seen some judges deny some continuance or extension requests surprisingly at times (one judge gave an opposing counsel a 3 day continuance just over a weekend once), but those were situations where there was a non-zero chance the judge may swing on that attorney if given a reason, the history was that bad

Beard likely isn’t at that level yet so I am betting they will just grant his request, especially with these appellate judges, but they probably do get exasperated just reading his poo poo I’d bet

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 31, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Once I requested a three week continuance on a compelled mediation because our client was an independent contractor and he'd have to last minute cancel an overseas job and pay a hefty cancellation fee. The judge denied it, our client cancelled and payed the fee. The the other party, that filed the compelled mediation motion in the first place, no showed the mediation. Judge was pissed but not pissed enough to make them reimburse our client for the economic damage.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Soylent Pudding posted:

Once I requested a three week continuance on a compelled mediation because our client was an independent contractor and he'd have to last minute cancel an overseas job and pay a hefty cancellation fee. The judge denied it, our client cancelled and payed the fee. The the other party, that filed the compelled mediation motion in the first place, no showed the mediation. Judge was pissed but not pissed enough to make them reimburse our client for the economic damage.

Unironically should have been able to sue for damages

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
It might amuse people to know that Nick is currently #1 on the grifties

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1565914093617545216
https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1565914744405753856

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the enemies of Mari Iijima will find only suffering

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
For the good of all mankind

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

This case will never end:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1572590682220494849

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Motions for rehearing and en banc rehearing are almost all universally denied without any further delay. It usually takes a couple weeks at most for the court to deny it after briefing is complete.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
never heard of en banc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alan Smithee posted:

never heard of en banc

Appellate courts have a bunch of judges on the bench, and each case is typically assigned a three judge panel. An en banc rehearing (literally on the bench) is a rehearing of the case from the entire appellate court. Instead of three judges you have eleven or whatever telling you that you lose.

This is also only ever done if there are enough total judges that want to rehear the case. A big part of why they're nearly universally declined is judges are lazy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

*looks at the quoted tweeter* now there's a name i haven't heard in a very long time and him being a vic stan is completely unsurprising to me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lmao the only thing rehearing would accomplish is, if granted, the case would be stuck in appellate hell for another year before the entire appellate bench dunks on Ty and Vic. Again.

But it’s one of those things that attorneys file as a matter of course (unless the client told them to abandon the appeal).

I’m more surprised that Ty hasn’t filed an application for transfer to the Texas Supreme Court yet (or maybe appellate procedure is just different in Texas, dunno)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can’t appeal to the next level until this opinion is final. Opinions are final after a certain date or after rehearing has been denied. If rehearing is granted, a superseding opinion will typically replace the prior one.

Once you have a final opinion, they can appeal to the SCoTX who will likely deny to take up the appeal.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Then I guess my state is the outlier because here, we can file Rehearing and/or application for Transfers as joint motions (and usually the COA says no to both, and then you can apply for transfer to the state SC directly as your last shot)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 21, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fun fact, every failed effort to appeal also increases the cost to Vic, the way the verdict was done. He has a bunch of conditional fines that apply only if he attempts appeal and fails.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If he had just laid low for like 2 years, he would probably be getting new voicework currently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

If he had just laid low for like 2 years, he would probably be getting new voicework currently.

Though it's worth noting that his problem wasn't just doing one or two incredibly hosed-up things that he could wait for everyone to forget about, but constantly being a horrible rear end in a top hat to everyone over the entire course of his career. Unlike a number of other MeToo cases, this scandal was directly connected to his inability to chill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Though it's worth noting that his problem wasn't just doing one or two incredibly hosed-up things that he could wait for everyone to forget about, but constantly being a horrible rear end in a top hat to everyone over the entire course of his career. Unlike a number of other MeToo cases, this scandal was directly connected to his inability to chill.

That's very true. I will say I don't feel bad that his lawyers are so loving terrible, but I do feel bad that his terrible lawyers are being paid money for this. They're doing all of these dumb half assed appeals because it gives them more billable hours. Admitting defeat means Ty Beard stops getting paid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ty Beard is an extremely punchable name, if that makes sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ty Beard is an extremely punchable name, if that makes sense.

I've seen photos of the guy, he also has a punchable face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

His true greatest sin, in regards to employment, remains suing a big boy company.