Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Lady Radia posted:

woke: spending 500 dollars on a toaster and justifying it to yourself it sounds nice when it's done(???)

It is a very pleasant to use toaster that looks nice :colbert:

It's a luxury kitchen appliance, no different than whatever dumb screwdriver Linus has been working on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Having recently replaced my broken $60 blender with a $300 one and being blown away by how amazing it is, I could understand spending more on other kitchen appliances if they actually had improved performance or vital features.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Three Olives posted:

It's a luxury kitchen appliance, no different than whatever dumb screwdriver Linus has been working on forever.

Linus' screwdriver will be able to turn screws more than halfway.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

avoid doorways posted:

yeah but no warranty

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

avoid doorways posted:

only because each Linus screwdriver comes with a Jake driver accessory to do the second half of each screw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

usually successful models like this are kind of like iirc mountain bikes

broke: AMD bike

woke: LTT bike

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

avoid doorways posted:

I still can't believe how poo poo that toaster was at actually toasting bread.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Bringing up bikes is also funny because it's becoming more and more widely recognized that virtually all the high-end road bike brands are a total scam, selling bottom tier carbon fiber engineering and production at extremely high end prices.

Am I the only person who doesn't understand the LTT screwdriver at all? Like for $80 I want a torque driver. I don't care about it ratcheting if it's not. Nor do I care about interchangeable bits on non-specialized drivers. Interchangeable bits aren't even good for PC building, because PCs do have small little spaces where a fat head to hold a bit won't fit and almost everything is #2, the magnetism is always going to be better on a fixed screwdriver, and the inevitable floppiness of interchangeable bits is annoying when you're reaching into a space. And if you're tearing apart other devices with security torx or whatever, they usually are recessed such that a fat interchangeable head cannot get even close to them.

I do not understand what the point of the product is. It's inferior to a plain screwdriver for PC building, and lacking a torque mechanism it's not a great general nerd dicking around tool, so what exactly is it? Torque drivers are actually a wide open market where every existing product is deeply flawed and a $100 torque driver that was actually accurate would probably sell to all kinds of markets, not just LTT fans. A high end pair of #1 and #2 screwdrivers might also sell, most of the products on the market today kinda suck because they tend to have handles that react to something or another and wind up being horrible to use if you expose them to the wrong thing. But this product? I don't know who the hell would actually buy that.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 28, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the cost of the screwdriver includes doing an entire set of rounds of prototyping with one supplier to get it to Linus specification and got ghosted completely at a super late stage. cost there must be bonkers

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's said before that he makes a huge chunk of his money from merch. He's not going to price something where he isn't clearing much per sale. There is no way he is paying even half of what he is charging.

As CoolCab said. Stuff like the water bottles, velcro strips, lanyard, desk mats, probably even the pillow. Those are things where companies exist solely to put someone else's name on them for re-sale. I just looked, 50-pack of velcro strips are 15 bucks. I'd bet he gets them in the $3-5 range.

The clothing seems to be a different matter. A lot of the shirts they have had lately are limited numbers and done locally to them. They have only been printing as many as they get orders for, then ship. I also recall something about they switched who they got their blanks from. Their hoodies all look to be rather customized, and it sounds like they get them in batches. I'd guess they might make 15-20 on those at most.

Also, with how chaotic shipping is still. When they did the pop-up shop for them, he had them air-shipped and I don't think he really made any money on that batch.

At this point Linus should decide, does he want to run a company (which, he can't), or make videos. He needs to hire a PR company that has the power to tell him to shut the gently caress up and take away all the social media logins from him. If he were to just go on making videos, and even do the WAN show, just keep to what the writers have on the topics. But alas, here we are.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Even if I'm wildly wrong and he's paying $225 for each $250 backpack, make it $275 and the warranty is covered. You don't have no warranty on a premium item in order to ensure your profit. You raise the price of the item to a point to where you can afford to sell it.

edit: The point, I guess, is what you arrived at at the end. Linus can't run a company. He's a bumbling fool who, like many rich people in any space including tech, think that because they are rich they are geniuses and know best.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can’t really practically estimate the cost for a product like that to be honest. but I will say you wouldn’t price a backpack at 250, particularly to a younger audience, if you could get it any cheaper.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Even if I'm wildly wrong and he's paying $225 for each $250 backpack, make it $275 and the warranty is covered. You don't have no warranty on a premium item in order to ensure your profit. You raise the price of the item to a point to where you can afford to sell it.

edit: The point, I guess, is what you arrived at at the end. Linus can't run a company. He's a bumbling fool who, like many rich people in any space including tech, think that because they are rich they are geniuses and know best.

Except he's been an idiot just like this many times in the past. It wasn't the money that went to his head, though that hasn't helped, it is how he seemingly is.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I remember months ago seeing the backpack at first glance and thinking, "Oh, this seems nice." Then I saw it was $250 and laughed out loud.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

K8.0 posted:

Bringing up bikes is also funny because it's becoming more and more widely recognized that virtually all the high-end road bike brands are a total scam, selling bottom tier carbon fiber engineering and production at extremely high end prices.
Same poo poo happens with mountain bikes, too. I noticed again when I looked for an e-MTB. The choice of high-end components to put on a bike is rather limited, so the "cost" is largely in the frame. Specialized is a bike brand, that's the Apple of mountain bikes.

I find it ridiculous that there exists a 15000€ e-MTB, when you can get one for nearly half the price yet featuring largely the same components. Just a tiny bit heavier. An item, when used as intended, will get wear and damage fairly quickly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same poo poo happens with mountain bikes, too. I noticed again when I looked for an e-MTB. The choice of high-end components to put on a bike is rather limited, so the "cost" is largely in the frame. Specialized is a bike brand, that's the Apple of mountain bikes.

I find it ridiculous that there exists a 15000€ e-MTB, when you can get one for nearly half the price yet featuring largely the same components. Just a tiny bit heavier. An item, when used as intended, will get wear and damage fairly quickly.

Oh yeah. Trek in the US has a $13,700 e-MTB model, and I legitimately can't tell the difference between it and their other $4K - 6K models. And there are perfectly good e-bikes of all varieties available for $2K or less. I'm guessing Trek is one of those high-end companies that are basically charging a massive premium for the name alone, like designer clothing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 28, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

K8.0 posted:

I do not understand what the point of the product is. It's inferior to a plain screwdriver for PC building, and lacking a torque mechanism it's not a great general nerd dicking around tool, so what exactly is it? Torque drivers are actually a wide open market where every existing product is deeply flawed and a $100 torque driver that was actually accurate would probably sell to all kinds of markets, not just LTT fans. A high end pair of #1 and #2 screwdrivers might also sell, most of the products on the market today kinda suck because they tend to have handles that react to something or another and wind up being horrible to use if you expose them to the wrong thing. But this product? I don't know who the hell would actually buy that.

I had used some of the cheapest and shittiest screwdrivers for PCs and never had a problem. Unless of course if you have an OCD at overtightening everything.

Same for my $20 Chinese generic multimeter, it's great for everything except handling 2000V surges which is a moot point when I only work with equipment that tops out at 230V and it's a rare occurrence anyway. Even if HV protection is important I still have a $40 Kyoritsu one that does the job.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 28, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what's the price differential between the LTT screwdriver and one at that typical price point, like 50 bucks? that imo is much more reasonable than 200

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

For even $50 I'd much rather have the GN screwdriver kit, which as a bonus seems to have been actually designed for a purpose rather than being somebody's pet project.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Screwdrivers are cheap. $80 will buy most people all the screwdrivers they'll ever use in their life. For ratcheting screwdrivers, $20 is the ballpark for even the relatively expensive brands. The LTT screwdriver is priced in the stratosphere tier. It costs more than the Snap-On, which is the benchmark for extremely expensive tools.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think the MTB world is in for some pressure from China over time, but it's really not nearly as big of a scam as road bikes. Road bikes, the big brands are selling frames that cost 10x the Chinese ones and are actually significantly worse. Same story with wheels, most if not all of the expensive brands are worse than Chinese brands that cost a fraction.

MTBs far more of the cost is coming from components, and I have yet to see any evidence that China is competitive in any area of components, especially MTB components. MTB stuff also has to survive levels of abuse that a road bike absolutely does not, and especially for something like a full suspension bike or an ebike, the engineering is much more difficult. It's a harder space for the Chinese companies to break into (aside from the big brands), but they will over time I think. Just don't expect that even when they do that you'll be able to get nearly the total discount you can on a road bike.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 28, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

K8.0 posted:

Screwdrivers are cheap. $80 will buy most people all the screwdrivers they'll ever use in their life. For ratcheting screwdrivers, $20 is the ballpark for even the relatively expensive brands. The LTT screwdriver is priced in the stratosphere tier. It costs more than the Snap-On, which is the benchmark for extremely expensive tools.

Yep, we have a ratcheting screwdriver with changable bits at work and I think it cost £30.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

power crystals posted:

For even $50 I'd much rather have the GN screwdriver kit, which as a bonus seems to have been actually designed for a purpose rather than being somebody's pet project.

For $50 most people would be better off with a $40 ifixit mako + $10 in regular tool screwdrivers. Ifixit stuff is good quality for a replaceable-bit driver (I've got one, I vouch), and it has all the bits you're likely to need for electronics or small-parts work. And a plain-rear end screwdriver is a tool that IMO is not improved by ratchets or other gimmicks.

The GN kit is nice but it's really specific. Unless you work on PCs all day every day it's kinda like, why do you need a 10-piece set that's lazer-focused on PC parts?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve bought a couple sets of Black and Decker ratcheting screwdriver kits but they both broke because they use a metal band and ball bearing to hold the bits in and that wears out pretty quickly

I’ve got a Wera one on my list now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What about those screwdrivers with the specific torque settings like for the Threadripper mounting or the ones you replace the Intel mounting interface with

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

What about those screwdrivers with the specific torque settings like for the Threadripper mounting or the ones you replace the Intel mounting interface with

Cheap adjustable ones are not particularly precise -- good enough for working on a bike or something where overtightening is bad, but not good for precision. And they generally have a higher minimum torque. Threadripper includes a non-adjustable one for just that reason.

That intel replacement bracket thing it wasn't even based on torque, just a specific number of screw revolutions. Didn't the GN video say something like a torque driver wouldn't even work because it was so minimal?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I got the impression that these premium costed tools from LTT are aimed at people who have never bought or considered spending a large amount of money on something like this and thus have no frame of reference and have never done any research on what a premium version from a company that regularly manufactures these items would actually cost.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

people who have never bought or considered spending a large amount of money on something like this and thus have no frame of reference and have never done any research on what a premium version from a company that regularly manufactures these items would actually cost.

You could have just said 'marks' and saved yourself a lot of typing. :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's like that South Park episode with the TV Sales > Old People > 3rd World Smelter gold pipeline, but for tech products and YT reviewers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hyper Inferno posted:

I got the impression that these premium costed tools from LTT are aimed at people who have never bought or considered spending a large amount of money on something like this and thus have no frame of reference and have never done any research on what a premium version from a company that regularly manufactures these items would actually cost.

I think they're aimed at people who want to support a youtube channel, want a thing in return rather than just subbing to a patreon or floatplane, and are tired of nerd tshirts. The GN screwdrivers aren't worth $50 either.

You're not paying for something cost-effective. You're paying $50 or $70 for something worth half that, but on the upside it is good quality by the standards of something 50% cheaper.

IE, if you really wanted a ratcheting screwdriver you can look through reviews on the internet or amazon to find something good for $35. Or you could buy a $70 one that's definitely good. Or you buy the LTT ratcheting screwdriver because you see their ad and say "I could use that, I've been meaning to buy something to support my parasocial internet friend!". And you get a decent $35 screwdriver.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or you bought the $250 backpack and absolutely need to have the screwdriver to go in the pocket specifically designed for it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

Or you bought the $250 backpack and absolutely need to have the screwdriver to go in the pocket specifically designed for it.

LTT hosed up by not having the handles unable to fit in any tool drawer organizer but only the backpack.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Being performatively mad about how people spend their disposable income, regardless of whether it is a YouTube dork's backpack, a juicero or a smart toaster, is really lame and you should probably stop being so bitchmade about it is my ripping hot take.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Charles Leclerc posted:

People always gonna hate on Linus and tbh a lot of their criticism is justified. He's a young, impetuous and imperfect person lacking in appropriate guidance for his station.

I think he's alright relative to his peers. In a world where people actively install terrible people into positions of power, getting breathless over YouTube personalities seems trivial.

And I can always do a chargeback on my backpack and feel no guilt, so gently caress it all I guess? Pontificating about the warranty seems like more of a talking point for people who haven't or weren't going to buy it. :shrug:

Charles Leclerc posted:

Being performatively mad about how people spend their disposable income, regardless of whether it is a YouTube dork's backpack, a juicero or a smart toaster, is really lame and you should probably stop being so bitchmade about it is my ripping hot take.

rich dude who bullies small creators with chargebacks spotted. yeah we know why u dont think it's a big investment friendo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Three Olives posted:

hey i gave u woke!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s so trivial to care about YouTubers. Like, have you even heard of Vladimir Putin???

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's true, in many ways i have heard of vladimir putin

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s so trivial to care about YouTubers. Like, have you even heard of Vladimir Putin???

Is he good at custom water cooling loops

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lady Radia posted:

rich dude who bullies small creators with chargebacks spotted. yeah we know why u dont think it's a big investment friendo

I know, I'm dreadful. 😮‍💨

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

Is he good at custom water cooling loops

probably, he's got a lot of experience using rubber hoses & torches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

Probably. Most people who would need an expensive backpack have already bought it. E.g. when I went backpacking, I bought a good backpack for that. This is like those 30-minute commercials: convincing you that a gimmick product will change your life when before the commercial you didn't see any need for it.