Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boooo my computer got delayed at customs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Payback for Pelosi visit

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a hardware or software thing but is driving me insane. On a 2018 mac mini if I hold down a key basically the keyboard stops working in that app. I thought my keyboard was hosed but it's happening on two different

If I try to use the accent picker to write something in spanish it basically kills any other keys within that app until you quit the app. Apart from spotlight which just stops working until you restart.

This just decided to happen at the end of my work day while i'm winding down ffs.

Ok I created another user account and it works fine. What the gently caress, ive got no accessibility options on and ive literally never touched any settings under that or keyboard settings.....

If you search for these symptoms nothing comes up apart from a million macbook keyboard results. Is there a general Macos thread?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I don't know if this is a hardware or software thing but is driving me insane. On a 2018 mac mini if I hold down a key basically the keyboard stops working in that app. I thought my keyboard was hosed but it's happening on two different

If I try to use the accent picker to write something in spanish it basically kills any other keys within that app until you quit the app. Apart from spotlight which just stops working until you restart.

This just decided to happen at the end of my work day while i'm winding down ffs.

Ok I created another user account and it works fine. What the gently caress, ive got no accessibility options on and ive literally never touched any settings under that or keyboard settings.....

If you search for these symptoms nothing comes up apart from a million macbook keyboard results. Is there a general Macos thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Reset PRAM/SMC.

Go to

code:
~/Library/Preferences/

and delete any com.apple plist file that has the word keyboard in it (just search keyboard in that folder).

Reboot

This will reset any keyboard related settings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay got my MacBook Air M2 all setup. I am very happy!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

I said come in! posted:

Okay got my MacBook Air M2 all setup. I am very happy!

What are the specs?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i've bought through swappa.com a couple times and had a good experience, don't know what selling is like though. might be worth a look

I did pretty well selling it there. Thanks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

What are the specs?

Its the base model but with the 1TB SSD.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
i wanna get an M2 MB Air w/ 16 gigs of RAM but jfc it's impossible... earliest in-store availability here in SF is a month out, and the post delivery sez within the month, and we all know that means in 29 days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Switzerland posted:

i wanna get an M2 MB Air w/ 16 gigs of RAM but jfc it's impossible... earliest in-store availability here in SF is a month out, and the post delivery sez within the month, and we all know that means in 29 days

Yeah anything but the absolute base model in midnight black, is a custom order that has to come from China.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I swear I’ve asked this like 5 times due to some ocd fears but what’s the best process for clearing a Mac for sale? Just want to make sure I don’t somehow miss an obvious step and give someone access to my apple id or something dumb like that. Thanks!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have a 2020 MacBook Air with just the two ports, and I am curious if there is a dock or usb dongle or anything that will let me use two displays and still connect to power.

Right now I have this hub from Anker but if I want to use two monitors I can’t charge at the same time.

Is there anything not too expensive that I could pick up? I don’t need all the USB stuff other ports, just the dual monitors.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Doesn't the MBA limit you to just one external monitor no matter what, though? Or is that only a limitation for the M1 and M2 MBAs?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Using the hub I have if I plug an HDMI into the HDMI slot, and then a USB-C>HDMI into the charging port, it will let me do two displays. The problem is I have to use battery when I do that, so it’s not effective.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, Intel MBAs can do multiple external displays.

You want one of those dongles that has HDMI and a USB-C PD "in" port. They're not too expensive, and sometimes have extra USB-A ports and/or ethernet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kilometers Davis posted:

I swear I’ve asked this like 5 times due to some ocd fears but what’s the best process for clearing a Mac for sale? Just want to make sure I don’t somehow miss an obvious step and give someone access to my apple id or something dumb like that. Thanks!

Turn off “Find my Mac” in iCloud settings and follow this support document.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

kefkafloyd posted:

Turn off “Find my Mac” in iCloud settings and follow this support document.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

Really glad they added Erase All Content & Settings to newer Macs.

I will never again need to create a macOS install USB if I don't want the Mac going back to the OS it started on.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If you’re really paranoid, you could also encrypt the drive with FileVault first and then reformat the drive

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Are there any nice USB hubs for the Mac Studio to get more ports on the thing? They make some nice ones for the Mac Mini that sit beneath it and blend in.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Astro7x posted:

Are there any nice USB hubs for the Mac Studio to get more ports on the thing? They make some nice ones for the Mac Mini that sit beneath it and blend in.

Apple seems to be pushing for this one for the studio but reviews are mixed

https://www.apple.com/studio-display/

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

SlowBloke posted:

:lmao:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It was tongue in cheek, any hub will do as long as it has dedicated external power.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i know it was a funny joke. i was laughing at the joke u made. the joke u made made me react with the lmao emoji.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Any hub that the Mini sits exactly on top of will do the same for the Studio since they have the same broad footprint, unless it somehow is defeated by the Studio having a slightly taller, uh, foot, but as far as I know the Mini hubs all have flat surfaces and don't try to perfectly fit the ring foot so this is probably fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fedule posted:

Any hub that the Mini sits exactly on top of will do the same for the Studio since they have the same broad footprint, unless it somehow is defeated by the Studio having a slightly taller, uh, foot, but as far as I know the Mini hubs all have flat surfaces and don't try to perfectly fit the ring foot so this is probably fine.

Ah, it didn't occur to me that the two have the same footprint. I guess that makes sense. I just saw all of those labeled for the Mac Mini only so assumed the Studio was a bigger size.

Trying to find something elegant for an office workstation over here!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lady Radia posted:

i know it was a funny joke. i was laughing at the joke u made. the joke u made made me react with the lmao emoji.

I'm phone posting on a limited bandwidth (roaming outside borders) so your post gif didn't render correctly :negative:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow I just saw what the XDR displays cost. That is a whole chunk of change.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So my new work bought me a 34” ultra wide that has 90W PD. Everything I’ve read said it’ll power a 16” MacBook Pro fine but is it at less than full speed or anything?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

god this blows posted:

So my new work bought me a 34” ultra wide that has 90W PD. Everything I’ve read said it’ll power a 16” MacBook Pro fine but is it at less than full speed or anything?

From what I understand it’s mostly an issue if you’re really flogging the computer for hours

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SlowBloke posted:

This is the one I use and it’s excellent.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

From what I understand it’s mostly an issue if you’re really flogging the computer for hours

Ok that’s not bad then as most of the time I won’t be. I think I might from time to time hammer the machine but my role won’t typically be flogging it.

I just wanted to have one cable for everything. I’m embracing this future world of one cable. So used many cables as my last company laptop had tons of cables

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I understand it, you won't see reduced speed, but the battery might discharge when the computer is under full load. Just like with the Macbook Air and the 30 W charger.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

god this blows posted:

Ok that’s not bad then as most of the time I won’t be. I think I might from time to time hammer the machine but my role won’t typically be flogging it.

I just wanted to have one cable for everything. I’m embracing this future world of one cable. So used many cables as my last company laptop had tons of cables

FWIW I've had my work laptop that technically uses a 130W adapter, powered via the single USB-C cable with my U3818DW and have never really had any issues.

Ultrawides are amazing. I wish Apple would come out with one, but then I'd really be afraid of what they'd charge...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i charge and use my 14" MBP on a 30W charger all the time, since it's built into a powerstrip nearby.

never really paid attention to battery level when i'm using a lot of lightroom/exporting, but seems fine

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Any Mac goons see the blinking amber MagSafe 3 issue come back after getting the cable replaced? Just curious if it ended up being the cable again or the machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

Any Mac goons see the blinking amber MagSafe 3 issue come back after getting the cable replaced? Just curious if it ended up being the cable again or the machine.

If it's happening on all ports, it's more likely to be your brick than your machine if it's not the cable.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If it's happening on all ports, it's more likely to be your brick than your machine if it's not the cable.

It was the cable last time but the issue has come back. Not sure if they are just bum cables or the brick/laptop is doing something to make it fail.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I remember being eligible for this a while ago, anyone gotten emails about the Maldonado, et al. v. Apple Inc., et al. settlement?

It goes to Epiq Pay which seems kinda shady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Can someone recommend a 1440p 34" UItrawide for use with an m1 or m2 system? My eyes tend to gloss over reading specs.

Main uses would be coding and media consumption via the Mac and USB-C, but the ability to plug in an xbox via HDMI might be a bonus. 😁