Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heavensward crafting feels like a real step up in difficulty. I’ve never had so much trouble making a good cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Heavenward crafting is in general kind of a kick in the dick, I've heard StB and later have better crafting since they don't have Bad HW Mechanical Remnants in them but I haven't gotten to that point myself since looking at HW crafting makes my soul leave my body.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
HEAVENSWARD CRAFTIIIIIIING

Between everything requiring more intermediate materials, many of which are items that are on timed nodes, and there being very little decent level 50 gear to get you started, Heavensward crafting suuuuuucks. It's also the place where you first start to see materials that have a 35 durability rather than 40 and ugggghhhhhhhhh

When I've hit this point on my various alts I have just tried to bang out the 50 to 60 stretch on Ishgard Restoration crafts and then come back at the quests with half-decent scrip gear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FeatherFloat posted:

Between everything requiring more intermediate materials, many of which are items that are on timed nodes, and there being very little decent level 50 gear to get you started, Heavensward crafting suuuuuucks. It's also the place where you first start to see materials that have a 35 durability rather than 40 and ugggghhhhhhhhh

When I've hit this point on my various alts I have just tried to bang out the 50 to 60 stretch on Ishgard Restoration crafts and then come back at the quests with half-decent scrip gear.

That may be the way to go.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There were many many game mechanics introduced in Heavensward that were a step back compared to ARR, it was on the whole a worse game than ARR imo. Nearly all the stuff introduced back have been revamped or removed, the crafting is actually a lot better now since you're doing them with current day updated mechanics and skills, stuff like intermediates and how to source material are still a problem though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

But it's the award-winning expansion!

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The parts that are award-winning are still in the game and what people experience!

But HW had a general issue when it was new where the devs listened too closely to the people who wanted FF11... 2!! and higher challenge and created A Mess. (I'm certain 3.0 being created under the same conditions as 2.x probably didn't help, though.) StB was where a lot of modern 14 mechanically started to exist in recognizable form. Which, a total rebuild released under deathmarch dev conditions and a similarly crunched expansion being the worst current-14 got overall in mechanics is pretty impressive.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Just thank god that they figured out how stupid TP was in Stormblood.

e: TP was a resource used in lieu of MP for melee/physical ranged DPS abilities, and Sprint. It was really stupid. Disappeared completely when SB released.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I only had to deal with TP for a short time but holy poo poo it was dumb.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
HW: I will not rest until I have personally, slowly, and violently torn apart this whole dumb church for robbing me of my biggest fan, my boy, Lord Haurchefant. You motherfuckers done gone and made this personal.

I said at least three cusses at my PC today.:colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shinjobi posted:

HW: I will not rest until I have personally, slowly, and violently torn apart this whole dumb church for robbing me of my biggest fan, my boy, Lord Haurchefant. You motherfuckers done gone and made this personal.

:smith::respek::smith:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

A smile better suits a hero, my friend.

The follow up hurts a lot more. I bawled talking to Edmont afterwards. Rest in Peace, Stephen Critchlow. What a good performance as Edmont

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think i pretty much ditched the hw firmament crafting because it was so dumb. i still have a bunch of mats in my inventory from when i went gathering in the diadem for an unrelated thing, and i can't for the life of me get a good idea of what i can craft with the mats. it seems dumb to discard it - after selling the stuff i could sell - but it just remains such a dumb system

even teamcraft wasn't much help

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

A smile better suits a hero, my friend.

The follow up hurts a lot more. I bawled talking to Edmont afterwards. Rest in Peace, Stephen Critchlow. What a good performance as Edmont

Yeah that was fuckin rough, good lord.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jorge Bell posted:

Just thank god that they figured out how stupid TP was in Stormblood.

e: TP was a resource used in lieu of MP for melee/physical ranged DPS abilities, and Sprint. It was really stupid. Disappeared completely when SB released.

Stormblood had TP, they didn't remove it until Shadowbringers. They did make some changes, notably Sprint didn't drain TP, you didn't have to level Lancer for Invigorate and Physical Ranged DPS' TP recover skill was no longer mutually exclusive with their MP recover skill.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my question is why do classes with no mana need a mana bar still? i shouldnt need a mod to hide a useless ui widget

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

girl dick energy posted:

HW post-game, and it finally contextualizes Titan's lines during the hard fight, because it was summoned by the grief of a baby kobold mourning its dead parents.

Also, it unlocks coils and everyone should get a 90 friend to run them through Coils.

I think you mean ARR post-game; my fiancée is at that very part right now.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FeatherFloat posted:

HW crafting is so intense it's honestly not dissimilar to Master Recipes now, minus tomestones being required. The raw resource demand is so intense, loads of core resources are timed/hidden, every other level demands that you process the previous level's material into something new which means you need to go gather 2x as much to make the new tier, and you need to go gather loads of ARR resources to mix into Ramie or Titanium or whatever as well.

All the LV50 'scrip' gear is actually sold at GC desks as IL70 Artisan/Forager gear, but you need to be 2nd Lieutenant or higher to buy it, and it costs a LOT of seals... plus the off-hand tools require Master Recipes to make for some reason, and there are no accessories or gatherer gear apart from a hat...??? I really don't miss pre-Shadowbringers crafter/gatherer gear levels where everything is just completely arbitrary and there often just aren't items for a given level/tier :shepicide:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

All the LV50 'scrip' gear is actually sold at GC desks as IL70 Artisan/Forager gear, but you need to be 2nd Lieutenant or higher to buy it, and it costs a LOT of seals... plus the off-hand tools require Master Recipes to make for some reason, and there are no accessories or gatherer gear apart from a hat...??? I really don't miss pre-Shadowbringers crafter/gatherer gear levels where everything is just completely arbitrary and there often just aren't items for a given level/tier :shepicide:

I actually geared into the GC crafter gear just to have something to spend all my seals on before I hit cap. I know people have said to buy the mount/minion lootboxes, but I'm not at a high enough rank and they refuse to promote me? :iiam:

I can't even glam it because I have more crafting classes than remaining glam plates, and of course if I'm glamming I want to do a unique glam for every class. Hmm. Maybe do a frankenstein glam with a single piece of iconic equipment from each class so it all equips the same stuff, but one piece looks appropriate for the class.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Stormblood had TP, they didn't remove it until Shadowbringers. They did make some changes, notably Sprint didn't drain TP, you didn't have to level Lancer for Invigorate and Physical Ranged DPS' TP recover skill was no longer mutually exclusive with their MP recover skill.
Didn't stop you from running out of TP in AoE situations on melee/tanks yet.

Well, melee had Goad but in light parties you rarely had two melee and you couldn't use that skill on yourself :suicide:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's annoying that there''s a ton of really cool looking gear for specific crafter classes but you can't really glam it because there's not enough plates

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dareon posted:

I actually geared into the GC crafter gear just to have something to spend all my seals on before I hit cap. I know people have said to buy the mount/minion lootboxes, but I'm not at a high enough rank and they refuse to promote me? :iiam:

Progress in Squadron Missions to get more promotions.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

nope, there's also a required run of it in hw post-game msq

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Dareon posted:

Second Lieutenant is where you need to do a little bit more busy work--finish off the 2nd hunt log for your company, and get your company commander NPC to give you a quest to run Arum Vale once. Worth doing to get housing, squadrons before they go out, and hunts. (A nice source of upgrade mats and tomes in the open world, frequently organized by server communities at cap.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Obnoxipus posted:

nope, there's also a required run of it in hw post-game msq

Man, I have totally forgotten about that, then. Thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's annoying that there''s a ton of really cool looking gear for specific crafter classes but you can't really glam it because there's not enough plates

I understand why they made all the crafting glams class-locked, but at the same time it makes glamming DoH gear a massive pain

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It really sucks cause I wanna put on the chef uniform whenever I turn to CUL, but I have to settle for Starbucks barista since every DoH can wear it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

There is a nifty dalamud plugin that helps take care of this problem if you're not opposed to such things. It lets you save as many plates as you want then swap which 15 are active at a time at the dresser. Perfect for when you have too many outfits and not enough space!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

There is a nifty dalamud plugin that helps take care of this problem if you're not opposed to such things. It lets you save as many plates as you want then swap which 15 are active at a time at the dresser. Perfect for when you have too many outfits and not enough space!

Imagine cheating at FFXIV's endgame content.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Subjunctive posted:

The first fight is ARR post-game, the second fight is HW-postgame, and I know this because Ga Bu hangs out with 3.X-outfit Alisaie.

Antivehicular posted:

Minor spoiler for how that fight works: ARR Titan Hard would normally have the same voice lines as Titan Normal, but the lines change based on whether anyone has queued in with the Ga Bu quest active, which will change Titan's lines for everybody. If you're seeing Titan speak as Ga Bu doing the regular ARR clear, you've gotten slightly unstuck in time because someone in your group needed it for post-HW and the devs just tied both quests to the same trial for queue management reasons.
Also this.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
How is DRG these days? Is it still a button bonanza? It was my main through a chunk of SB before I stopped playing a few years back. Relearning that rotation feels pretty intimidation tbh.

In the meantime I've been leveling BRD. I don't know if it's the class or ranged DPS, but it feels so much easier than a melee DRG ever was. I also discovered that I missed a whole grip of dungeons (mostly hard) in ARR & HW. It's been a really great change of pace to see a whole slew of new (to me) content without having yet completed SB. Game is good.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's not cheating to give yourself more space for outfits. Cheating would be getting glams illicitly.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 29, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

Have you finished your fanfic yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bigman.50grand posted:

How is DRG these days? Is it still a button bonanza? It was my main through a chunk of SB before I stopped playing a few years back. Relearning that rotation feels pretty intimidation tbh.

In the meantime I've been leveling BRD. I don't know if it's the class or ranged DPS, but it feels so much easier than a melee DRG ever was. I also discovered that I missed a whole grip of dungeons (mostly hard) in ARR & HW. It's been a really great change of pace to see a whole slew of new (to me) content without having yet completed SB. Game is good.

Dragoon has only changed a little bit since stormblood

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wouldn't say Dragoon is difficult, but your burst windows need to be on point because it's easy for your buffs to drift away from each other while you're going ham on your oGCDs. Feels great with a little practice though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Before I get really stuck into Heavensward, I should finish up my ARR job quests!

...You want me to serve a banquet to who!?

e:

Relyssa posted:

It's not cheating to give yourself more space for outfits. Cheating would be getting glams illicitly.

Can I cheat to give myself a Crystal Braves outfit? I don't even mind if I'm the only one who can see it.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 29, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dareon posted:

Before I get really stuck into Heavensward, I should finish up my ARR job quests!

...You want me to serve a banquet to who!?

Yeah, that’s one of the situations people like to point to for funkiness happening if you go to do job quests well after you’ve passed that point in time in the main story.

Another is how ARR Dragoon has Estinien treating you like a total stranger even after you’ve become BFFs with him.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, that’s one of the situations people like to point to for funkiness happening if you go to do job quests well after you’ve passed that point in time in the main story.

Another is how ARR Dragoon has Estinien treating you like a total stranger even after you’ve become BFFs with him.

doing dragoon quests after completing endwalker is hilarious. i like to think that we're treating it like a weird bit of performance art while alberic has literally no idea and is taking it completely seriously.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Obnoxipus posted:

doing dragoon quests after completing endwalker is hilarious. i like to think that we're treating it like a weird bit of performance art while alberic has literally no idea and is taking it completely seriously.

Estinien all like "hey, want to go play a weird prank on my adoptive dad?" and the WoL just goes with it because you don't leave Estinien to his own devices with this sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

Estinien all like "hey, want to go play a weird prank on my adoptive dad?" and the WoL just goes with it because you don't leave Estinien to his own devices with this sort of thing

If ther's one thing one thing EW has taught me, it's that Estinien requires a chaperone at all times he's not in combat.