Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

a.p. dent posted:

hey piano thread. i'm thinking about buying a digital piano now that i have space. i don't want anything fancy but can spend a bit of money.

i was looking at Yamahas and the P-125 is $700, which is a decent price point for me: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P125BK--yamaha-p-125-88-key-weighted-action-digital-piano-black

curious if anybody would recommend for or against it, or has any other thoughts. thanks!

I have the P-125 and it's fine. It sounds decent on its own and the built-in USB audio interface makes upgrading the sound with a VST super convenient. The Roland FP-30X has the same feature and maybe a slightly nicer action, but unlike the Yamaha it doesn't have a dedicated ASIO driver (that's only an issue for Windows though).

According to discussions I've seen elsewhere, it looks like the new P-125a might not have that feature, so buyer beware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't know where you are - on the balance of probabilities I assume US - but in the UK there's a popular directory that a lot of teachers sign up for. Would be surprised if there wasn't one in the US, or maybe ones for individual states.

In terms of them being a match, don't be afraid to try a couple of different ones. Some teachers will give a complimentary first lesson where you can see if they would be a good fit for you. Even if it costs money, you will at least learn something (about what you want in a teacher, and maybe a bit of actual piano stuff), so it wouldn't be wasted money.

What is the UK popular directory?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Boody posted:

What is the UK popular directory?

https://musicteachers.co.uk/

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i got a piano. it's the casio CDP-S150, not as nice as the yamaha but the local shop had it and i wanted to buy from him. only cost $380 which seemed pretty good.

starting in on an adult method book that's easy so far

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I learned to play back in like 4th-7th grades, and have sort of dabbled ever since (more while I was getting my undergraduate degree in music education, less since). I recently picked up an electronic piano so I can get back into it again, and I've noticed that my left hand and forearm get tired/sore fairly quickly, especially if I'm playing something like Maple Leaf Rag with lots of octave reaches in the left hand. What can I do to combat this fatigue?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hooah posted:

I learned to play back in like 4th-7th grades, and have sort of dabbled ever since (more while I was getting my undergraduate degree in music education, less since). I recently picked up an electronic piano so I can get back into it again, and I've noticed that my left hand and forearm get tired/sore fairly quickly, especially if I'm playing something like Maple Leaf Rag with lots of octave reaches in the left hand. What can I do to combat this fatigue?

get a teacher

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Try to relax your hand/forearm a bit and let the weight of your arm and gravity be the force.

Also just keep practicing and build your muscles. You can run octave scales as well.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Alizee posted:

Try to relax your hand/forearm a bit and let the weight of your arm and gravity be the force.

This is something my teacher is trying to drill into me and I'm finding it a lot harder than it sounds.

Speaking of teachers, having a teacher with experience teaching non-musical-beginner* adults has been a much better experience than just getting walked through a method like Alfred's (which is what my previous teacher was doing). Right now we're working through Mikrokosmos and also drawing stuff from Guhl's Keyboard Proficiency, with some theory and ear training on the side. It's too early to quantify whether my progress is any faster, but it's certainly much more satisfying.

* e: I should clarify what that means, I am a total baby on piano but was a serious wind instrument player years ago

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

hooah posted:

Alizee posted:

This is definitely a good technique for ragtime left hand. I would add to try and almost bounce/spring off the notes onto the next ones if you can. Though that probably is more use in playing it faster than preventing fatigue.

If you want to pursue playing and keep getting better, then I do also echo the recommendation to get a teacher.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve never been so pissed off by a nursery rhyme. Why do my left hand and right hand hate doing different things. WHY.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve never been so pissed off by a nursery rhyme. Why do my left hand and right hand hate doing different things. WHY.

Here’s a pro-tip. Practice each hand individually. When you can do a hand correctly 5x in a row, move to the other hand. Same thing. Then combine.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Pollyanna posted:

Dont think of it as two hands doing two different things. Read each beat as a single chord that you play with 10 fingers.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

idk if I'm misreading what y'all are posting or what, but we all realize that those are two separate lines intended to be played one after the other, right? Not together?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Right now we're working through Mikrokosmos

How do you like working with it? I love the Mikrokosmos for general music learning and I've been hacking my way through it for two years now.

Pollyanna posted:

It's such an amazing feeling when you get it though and it's yours.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hawkperson posted:

idk if I'm misreading what y'all are posting or what, but we all realize that those are two separate lines intended to be played one after the other, right? Not together?

This hawkperson knows their sheet music.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hawkperson posted:

gently caress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In my defense I’ve been conditioned to see two staves and assume that one hand matches to another. But now I see the end marker and all my excuses are out the window so :v:

At least I managed to do it eventually. This:

bltzn posted:

Dont think of it as two hands doing two different things. Read each beat as a single chord that you play with 10 fingers.

helped a lot!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Pollyanna posted:

During piano learning attempt 1.0, Jingle Bells was the first thing to really trip me up on hand independence :sassargh:

Although as others have noted I think you are supposed to switch hands halfway through, not try them simultaneously. One, because that's how the song goes and two, because the double bars at the end of a measure indicate the end of the song. If you were playing both hands together, both lines would have those double bars.

Unless of course the practice directions referenced above say otherwise but that would be odd.

(E: refresh thread before posting :shobon:)

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

How do you like working with it? I love the Mikrokosmos for general music learning and I've been hacking my way through it for two years now.

It's good! We're still in volume 1 but it's much more musically satisfying than Alfred's. I like how it has you changing positions almost right away and doesn't just have you playing ditties in major keys, so we get some side discussions on theory as well. Makes me feel like a real piano player!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hello goons

last year after playing guitar and bass for like 13 years I decided to buy a drum set and a piano (weighted keys casio keyboard )

i've mostly ignored the piano and played drums but a recent hand injury has me staying away from the drums and going back to piano. I never really did anything official last year on keyboard instead just kind of jamming around until I hit a road block, really never using both hands.

this week i've decided to pick it up again and try learning Martha My Dear (good lord is that intro hard). I think i'm doing alright and I almost have the intro down which is good for me.

I guess my question is does anyone know any other songs in that range that would be fun to learn? i'm not looking to dig in seriously yet (although i'd love to either be good enough to play at a dueling pianos bar but that'll never happen lmao) but instead develop my left and right hand technique.

i'm open to books, videos, teacher etc.

thanks!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I can’t recommend PianoForAll enough. Video course with supplemental PDFs and multiple song recommendations for every technique learned.

It’s like 39 bucks for a one time purchase.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

I can’t recommend PianoForAll enough. Video course with supplemental PDFs and multiple song recommendations for every technique learned.

It’s like 39 bucks for a one time purchase.

Sweeet I picked this up

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I picked up PianoForAll as my second attempt to teach myself piano. I’m halfway through the first book, learning chords and rhythms. My question is, when do I learn to play “real” songs? Practicing chord progressions is great, but none of the exercises and examples so far sound like “real” music.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
I don’t know about that specific course, but I don’t think there’s a method book in the world that doesn’t feel like fake music so you aren’t alone there. The fact is this instrument just has so many things to learn that you have to spend awhile in the basic technique trenches before your mind and hands are ready to move on.

Since it’s got you doing chord progressions already, maybe look for a lead sheet online for a simple tune you know really well, like a kids song or a Christmas carol. Then you can try integrating the chords you’ve learned with a melody in the right hand and see how it goes.

Also obligatory mention that a human teacher can probably get you into appropriate “real” repertoire even faster.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

When you say real songs do you mean melodies? Because I think in PianoForYou you don't start that until Book 5 or 6 ("Ballad Style"), everything before is accompaniment, i.e. chords and rhythms. Full disclosure I haven't gone through PianoForYou, only skimmed the content.

I also echo the sentiment above about everything you play feeling like lovely toy pieces for ages.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I picked up PianoForAll as my second attempt to teach myself piano. I’m halfway through the first book, learning chords and rhythms. My question is, when do I learn to play “real” songs? Practicing chord progressions is great, but none of the exercises and examples so far sound like “real” music.

I get that. You’re being taught muscle memory and backing chords and rhythms for the first book. It’s intended to help you be able to play chords while being able to sing over the songs or have band members take part.

Try going into “Ballad Style” and work on doing a C Am F G progression in your left hand while improvising with your right.

Even better get a backing drum track and do it. I bet you’ll feel like you’re making real music pretty quickly.

Last thing - playing solo anything (beginner/early intermediate) usually feels dumb but when you’ve got drums and bass and a little guitar going on the whole thing turns into magic.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
speak for yourself, i’m learning all the hits in Alfred Adult Lesson Book 1: when the saints go marching in, little brown jug, greensleeves, the entertainer. all #1 hit tunes

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

a.p. dent posted:

speak for yourself, i’m learning all the hits in Alfred Adult Lesson Book 1: when the saints go marching in, little brown jug, greensleeves, the entertainer. all #1 hit tunes
The arrangement of the entertainer is actually pretty musical and fun, as are the other songs in the last section of that. Everyone should know how to play Chattanooga Choo Choo for solo piano!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Sauzer posted:

The arrangement of the entertainer is actually pretty musical and fun, as are the other songs in the last section of that. Everyone should know how to play Chattanooga Choo Choo for solo piano!

it's good stuff! i also like Raisins & Almonds which i'd never heard before. i dunno, maybe after playing solo guitar for so long even the most basic solo piano stuff sounds amazingly full to me

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I've been learning the piano for a few months now, and I've been recording myself to get used to playing in front of people a bit, and to show my parents. And I figured I would share a couple of things I'm pretty happy with with you all. Now, keep it mind that I'm new and neither of these are performance ready or anything, but I'm not really getting things to performance ready at this point in my learning, so they're the best I've got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI39R2Hk_Y

Sarabande by William Gillock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFYMmPlAlE

Little Waltz in E Minor by Caroline Miller

Forgive my amateur video, I've never seen this uploading side of youtube, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

a.p. dent posted:

All the songs they can publish without paying copyright fees

But actually this is a good look at things.

INTJ Mastermind, why don’t you purchase an “Insert Favorite Artist here Easy Piano Book”

After a year I purchased a book on Disney Songs at intermediate difficulty and although it kicked my rear end for two months I can play Beauty and the Beast.

Also, look into HDpiano.com. It has thousands of excellent video tutorials of songs. All of them have a free preview on YouTube to see if you like it.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Jester Mcgee posted:

I've been learning the piano for a few months now, and I've been recording myself to get used to playing in front of people a bit, and to show my parents. And I figured I would share a couple of things I'm pretty happy with with you all. Now, keep it mind that I'm new and neither of these are performance ready or anything, but I'm not really getting things to performance ready at this point in my learning, so they're the best I've got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI39R2Hk_Y

Sarabande by William Gillock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFYMmPlAlE

Little Waltz in E Minor by Caroline Miller

Forgive my amateur video, I've never seen this uploading side of youtube, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

well done! nice pieces. keep up the good work

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Thanks, I've been having a blast with it. I honestly didn't expect playing the piano to be so much dang fun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What the hell am i supposed to do about this bit? There's no pedal marking. I've just been ignoring it so far but it bugs me

My only guess is to just use the pedal anyway but it sounds markedly different from the rest of the piece if i do

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
You pedal both the B and the G at the start of your pink section, but the B is also part of the melodic line under the slur, continuing with the G and D, so you are supposed to give it a touch more emphasis than the G played at the same time. So it although it is sustained it also sounds as part of that melodic line.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I mean how do I do that while also holding the chord at the start of the measure, I'd have to pedal the whole thing. I guess that's just what i have to do?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yes. It's all the same notes anyway so it won't be dissonant.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thank you!

E: oh! Duh. It just clicked what you were telling me to do in your first reply. Now i get it! Thank you again :)

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 28, 2022

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
No probs. Yeah I initially thought you were asking why the B is written both as dotted minim and crotchet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A musics clip link!

I decided to pick up a keyboard today and it's been fun. That clip is after about four hours of getting familiar with it. I should start with the accepted basics, but I wrote something to learn instead, cause I am stupid. I'm primarily a guitarist but wanted something to branch out with. It's been great, and does a bit of MIDI so I can sequence drums and stuff quite a bit nicer than a mouse.

I don't really know what my goals are with this. I like piano, it's a nice sound, and I was right in thinking it would help me approach compositions differently. I'm a tiny bit fixated on jazz right now, but that's just a current fancy. I have no intentions of getting good in any professional standard, so this is gonna be self taught baybee.

Looking at the OP it doesn't seem like there's a tonne of random suggestions or anything about basic form etc that I could see. In general it seems hard to find that sort of thing? I have a seat, I have great posture, making sure not to twist and bend in weird ways, turns out my pinky does pretty fine with keys. Any general suggestions short of "read 108 pages"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

syntaxfunction posted:

Looking at the OP it doesn't seem like there's a tonne of random suggestions or anything about basic form etc that I could see. In general it seems hard to find that sort of thing? I have a seat, I have great posture, making sure not to twist and bend in weird ways, turns out my pinky does pretty fine with keys. Any general suggestions short of "read 108 pages"?
The main thing is knowing tension is the enemy. Tension will not only slow you down, but eventually lead to injury. You want to stay as loose as possible, all the way from your torso to your fingers. The force for playing dynamically should come from the weight of your arms, rather than your fingers. Try to keep your wrists straight with your arm (not twisting and bending, like you said). For seat height, it's the same principle - sit where you can so that everything can stay loose and comfortable. I have seen people recommend both having a slight decline in your arm to the key or to have a perfect flat arm line, so either is probably fine as long as it doesn't lead to tension. Don't sit lower than that unless you're Glenn Gould.

Your clip sounds cool! good luck