Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
:valdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Ian Cameron??? Oh boy!!!

Ian Cameron? That name sounds so exotic! :swoon:

Hostile V posted:

I can't think of many people in this thread's comics who I would want to play roleplaying games with; probably Wallace and his friends or the kids from Crabgrass because they'd have a good drive to do stuff and interact with the game and kids in general like to have fun but directly contrast them with the Family Circus kids and I'd rather nail a hammer into my foot than play tabletop games with Jeffy, Billy, Dolly and PJ.

Yeesh, can you imagine trying to play D&D with the Luann crew? (Don't actually try to imagine that; I would hate to be responsible for anyone's fall into despair)

Or, you could, I don't know, TAKE WRITING CLASSES AT THE COLLEGE YOU ARE ALREADY A STUDENT AT

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

:cthulhu:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

:nws:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Doomykins posted:

Had to take a closer look because copy/pasting is a long-standing tradition of artist shamelessness. I think that panel was redrawn both times,

Nope.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Oh daaaaaaaamn. Why the pros don't eyeballs these things.

Oh Jules.

oh my god the weird line on his left arm is from half-assing the erasing of it to draw a worse smaller arm. :sickos:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hostile V posted:

Honestly I'm just glad that Tombat didn't decide to shout to the heavens and papers of record "I AM GOING TO DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT! THERE SHALL BE...A TRANS!" This just has the same weight and interest of Disney's fifteenth first queer character.

That said love of god Tombat don't try to write about The Trans Experience and use this as a jumping-off point.
He starts a story about a trans woman and it evolves into being about old white cis men dealing with age discrimination as she gradually fades into background.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (October 17-23, 1983)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (October 17-23, 1983)

If I hadn't already been told Kevin McCormick became a Garfield writer this would be the clue. That's an Irma joke right there.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 3, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 25-26, 1992)

Big Nate

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 26, 1919

And He Did! August 9, 1919

Cat Tales July 11, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 2, 1937
Spoilered for offensive racist stereotypes.

Mopsy March 16, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out August 2, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 23, 1952

Those Were the Days March 29, 1962

Wee Pals September 26, 1966

Dogbert August 2, 1967

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

readingatwork posted:

Big :same:, Calvin. Can't do long division, but I can tell you how many warp nacelles were on the blueprints of the Dreadnaught-class star fleet ship in the book of star trek ship blueprints way back when. (It had 3)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Benevolent Forces Want To Support Small Business Owners" And Other Cliche Fairy Tales Of 2009 That Aren't Just "Goldilocks But Political"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (September 7-9, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (November 27-29, 1919)

Dok's "We're Unsettlingly Happy To See You" Duck (April 29, 1914; timg'd for racially derogatory slang)

Little Lefty (April 12-14, 1937)

Also from the 14th, something to remind you what type of sports page Lefty's living on now...

Blondie From Zero: Just in case you were worried that Dagwood and the Bumsteads would be good sports about the current conditions. (September 26-28, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 28, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

readingatwork posted:

me irl

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Just wanted to voice my admiration for the limited color use and the discretion between lined and un-lined artwork in this panel, it's completely masterful. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Hostile V posted:

Honestly I'm just glad that Tombat didn't decide to shout to the heavens and papers of record "I AM GOING TO DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT! THERE SHALL BE...A TRANS!" This just has the same weight and interest of Disney's fifteenth first queer character.

That said love of god Tombat don't try to write about The Trans Experience and use this as a jumping-off point.

I'm not sure whose wish it is but I can feel the finger on a monkey's paw curling inward.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Vigo is aman who knows the importance of insurance, or Blueberry and company are in a tight spot... AGAIN..., or Blueberry plays blackmailer

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
:siren: OUT-OF-BAND UPDATE :siren:

Let's get Funky Winkerbean into position for the morning rush, because goddammit, we're not done yet after all...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Fyadophobic posted:

Just wanted to voice my admiration for the limited color use and the discretion between lined and un-lined artwork in this panel, it's completely masterful. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

That panel is the cover of Fantgraphics's volume 8, for obvious reasons.

Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 20, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Can we start a petition to bring back staring into the camera with an upset squiggly line mouth in place of the constant Funky Smirking?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

If we're going to go mad, why not just cut to the chase and rename the strip "Jim Halpert"?

(Best I can do in the dead of night)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

:siren: OUT-OF-BAND UPDATE :siren:

Let's get Funky Winkerbean into position for the morning rush, because goddammit, we're not done yet after all...

Eerrgghh he's doing the -fluid thing again

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Basically an unfunny version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7capx4Cb8

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 20, 2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love that cat herder commercial. :3:

It's always nice to see modern Garfield remember its roots and draw something new and entertaining. :allears: That reminds me, didn't we have somebody posting 80s-90s Garfield? I've not noticed it in awhile and it's genuinely a top tier comic.

And seems Funky might be dragging this out past the one strip. Batiuk is like the ball player who takes his time walking to base, that's out!

Jucika "424 - Jucika Celebrates"

"Márc 8 Nőnap = March 8 Women's Day"

"425 - Jucika And The Windstorm"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Pondus

Storefri

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News Oh.... OH. OH NO.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 31, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean went up in the dead of night. Scroll up, buddy.

So how do we wrap up Crankshaft Fire Safety Week? With Ed's latest attempt to burn down the neighborhood!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire And The Curse of Tangaroa! (timg'd out of an abundance of caution because we're back in skulls-and-spears land)

Randy Milholland's Popeye

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Is that a Katzenjammer kids reference in that second-to-last Popeye panel?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/27/02

Brenda Starr 5/12-14/49

Smokey Stover 10/23/49

Everyday Movies 7/10/49

"What, a town without a library? Where do you go to take a nap?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vargo posted:

Is that a Katzenjammer kids reference in that second-to-last Popeye panel?
Sure is.