Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just being able to gently caress around in the practice area while queuing is the biggest QoL improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Riven posted:

Just being able to gently caress around in the practice area while queuing is the biggest QoL improvement.

yeah they made waiting for games way less of a pain, it's great

squid jump was still better though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a brill time during the Splatfest, can’t wait for the full game. The maps seem a little bigger which I like a lot. Glad you could join with friends too, my best friend and I had a great time for a couple hours as an Aerospray/Inkbrush combo. I played 53-54 games and won around half

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Something I've been pondering about the dash and roll mechanics is that have 1 or 2 games, many veteran players have developed a whole repertoire for extricating themselves from tricky situations, so it's going to be a process for some of them to incorporate these features into their playstyles. New players are gonna find it much easier to adopt dash/roll.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I liked 2 and was on the fence about getting this one but of course I will after doing the Splatfest.
I did miss Judd and Li'l Judd dancing in the street, which seems to be gone or maybe I just didn't find them? Only saw Judd sleeping on a bench in the lobby.
Assume the Salmon Run lobby must have been turned into a practice range too, hopefully one where you can switch between whatever the current set of weapons is. It was a nice QoL change for the main lobby.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I missed seeing Judd dance too, I feel like he could've been perfectly situated under the big arches behind the splatfest signup tent. Maybe even with a lil shrine dedicated to him or something

I guess it makes sense to have him in the lobby since he'll be right there when you level up, but now he doesn't get to party!! even the jellies in the lobby control centre are tearing it up!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Araxxor posted:

The chainsaw looks like it has the heft it deserves. I hope that version is good.

The Wiper feels too much like a wet noodle. It feels like a wishy washy version of an Inkbrush and something else, and I'd rather use the Inkbrush.

the wiper is 100% "what if squiffer, but worse"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You can charge it to KILL

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Something I've been pondering about the dash and roll mechanics is that have 1 or 2 games, many veteran players have developed a whole repertoire for extricating themselves from tricky situations, so it's going to be a process for some of them to incorporate these features into their playstyles. New players are gonna find it much easier to adopt dash/roll.

Definitely. I practiced the roll in the training room, and it's not hard to do, but I used it all of ONCE in an actual match.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So final results are in if you log in. Rock with 25 points and paper 10. scissors 0.

Edit: I orignally misunderstood how they brokedown the score, here is a better explination from someone else

https://twitter.com/Splatoon3ink/status/1563891217834082304

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 28, 2022

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wondered why I never fought paper and only got a tri-battle to work once. There was no paper to fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good ol rock

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I didn't realize there was a dash or roll for anything other than dualies.

Waffleman_ posted:

Good ol rock

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I dye for paper

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Waffleman_ posted:

Good ol rock

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was paper and was getting tri battles every time. It seems even though paper was unpopular its where all the good players went.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saint Freak posted:

Wondered why I never fought paper and only got a tri-battle to work once. There was no paper to fight.

I was paper and only really fought Rock. I think I fought scissors once. I didn't do any tri colour battles

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Overbite posted:

I was paper and was getting tri battles every time. It seems even though paper was unpopular its where all the good players went.

Yeah as a cool paper guy I had no problem getting into tri battles so definitely sticking with Team Frye in the future.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Good ol rock

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah as a cool paper guy I had no problem getting into tri battles so definitely sticking with Team Frye in the future.

going with the most popular choice always sucks cause it makes matchmaking terrible. Team Frye for lyfe!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was on Team Paper and I just realized now that I should've changed my name to Thunder Mifflin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Good ol rock

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, I’m glad they’re just the back half of a splatfest but it’s fun to assault the winning team. I can’t wait to play as a defender.

I got killed more by the other attacking duo than I did from the defending team. It seems like people playing it somehow didn't understand that you still need to get more ground than the defenders and not just continuously throw bodies at the ultra signal to win, I was in so many losing tricolors because of that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 28, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ay! (I love Big Man, he is the coolest!)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Upsidads posted:

I dye for paper

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I didn't realize there was a dash or roll for anything other than dualies.

Yeah they mentioned it in a direct but what are the actual controls for using them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

So is there any way to stop matching other than force closing the game?

You can force a connection error by putting your switch to sleep, other than that I don't think so.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't pick a host, I go with whatever team is appealing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah they mentioned it in a direct but what are the actual controls for using them?

It's basically the Mario sideflip in 3D games. Once you're at max speed, move in a different direction and press B.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Item Getter posted:

The one for going up walls is in the tutorial, the other one they mentioned in the direct is for quick turning when swimming which is like doing a backflip in Mario 64 (while moving in one direction, push the opposite direction and the jump button)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Is there any known reason for keeping the demo client

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is there any known reason for keeping the demo client

I don't think so, they said progress doesn't even carry over to the main game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Araxxor posted:

It's basically the Mario sideflip in 3D games. Once you're at max speed, move in a different direction and press B.

The exact opposite direction from what I tried, you can't jump 90 degrees, only 180

Like Mario, truly

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was in a real bad headspace yesterday and didn't play more than a few matches, but man seeing a lot of my friends really *hate* the tricolor thing and not being able to opt out of it for normal matches. Just said it stressed them out constantly and felt like it was impossible to win most of the time so I just feel kinda bad :sigh:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You can opt out of tricolor, just don’t queue for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Riven posted:

You can opt out of tricolor, just don’t queue for it.

And if you're on the winning team, Pro matches can't queue into Tricolors at all. Those are exclusive to open only.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was in a real bad headspace yesterday and didn't play more than a few matches, but man seeing a lot of my friends really *hate* the tricolor thing and not being able to opt out of it for normal matches. Just said it stressed them out constantly and felt like it was impossible to win most of the time so I just feel kinda bad :sigh:

I mean, it can't be impossible to win most of the time can it? You're playing against other real people

If you lost, it's because they won

I never got a tri-color match :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Splatfest results are up!

That was fun. drat, not many of us papers. I’m glad we at least snatched victory away from scissors.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really weird seeing ppl complain about being put into specific matches. As paper, I was able to queue into any kind of match I wanted and got in pretty quickly. Really had fun with the tricolor matches, gonna be a shame that theyre splatfest only

Has Nintendo said when Spaltfests are planned going forward? Im assuming theyll have one with each new catalog, so once every ~2 months, right? Also hope they have a big launch Splatfest as well

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Just remembered that the first game had no choice of haircuts. Unbelievable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That sounds really rough. I hope you and your friends are making it through this ordeal somehow.