Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is the worst year the one with the worst worst games or the worst best games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Could we split those up? A "holy poo poo this year sucked" versus "this year kind of sucked but at least they tried their best :kiddo:"

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Using Rarity's system can we figure out the shittiest gaming year now?
1982 and 1983 have the lowest averages by far. Picking between them, 83 has 1 game that ranks an 8, whereas 82 tops out at 6. Hard to imagine any year going forward doing that badly.

However, that is just the least good year, not necessarily the shittiest year! We would probably want a list of the biggest high-profile disasters and disappointments in gaming per year to quantify true shittiness.

Ms Adequate posted:

I told y'all that 97-2003 was The Golden Age and Rarity's scientific methodology is proving me right

Yes 97 to 03 was just nonstop bangers.

Looking forward to more Rarity chart posting!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rarity posted:

Is the worst year the one with the worst worst games or the worst best games?

perhaps the one with the fewest 10s/releases (lowest average) in general, though i know a lot of people who had a good time revisiting old games in 2021 even though not much was released. i could def see a case being made for 2010, 2011, 2012 just because that generation was so dire by the midpoint and just produced so many bad feels, but there were good games released in all those years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2012 was notably bad for major releases though indies were good and Spleunky is an all time perfect game

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

2012 was pretty ok for me, but I think every year for 20 or 30 years has at least 5 good games I really like. And 2021 had a few.

I felt like some of the early Xbox 360 years were the slowest of my major gamer years, and the Wii too, but even those have some hits and gems. 2006 and 2007 say. And it's tough to judge some years in say the early-to-mid 90s when I was a kid renting memorable shovelware.

But it is different for everybody, which is always interesting to see. 2010 is so strong for me, I've mentioned a couple times lately how Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Alpha Protocol all came out in one month. That was freakin' good stuff. 2011 had some of my favs too. And 2013 is on my list at #3.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 27, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

2012 it is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

2012 has a lotta cool stuff. XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3 (ending aside), Max Payne 3, Mark of the Ninja, RE Revelations, I really dig Hitman: Absolution though not a fav on here, CS:GO, some dig Diablo 3 and Far Cry 3, I liked Borderlands 2 co-op, Kingdoms of Amalur, Hotline Miami, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Orcs Must Die 2, Sleeping Dogs is good, etc. Yakuza 5 in Japan. But it's different for everybody.

I see 2012 is somebody's #1 on here too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 27, 2022

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
My worst year is probably 2009. I don't remember anything from that year, and looking it up, there wasn't a heck of a lot to remember.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
2009 had Demons Souls, Batman Arkham Asylum, Bayonetta, Street Fighter 4, Bowsers Inside Story, Pokémon Heartgold, Dragon Quest IX, and Little Kings Story. Not bad at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncharted 2 came out that year as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, because good games come out every year I think the worst year would def have to be a combination of a lesser game release catalogue, bad industry news and trends, and real world events that backgrounded gaming somewhat...or simple exhaustion with that gen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Synthetic Hermit posted:

My worst year is probably 2009. I don't remember anything from that year, and looking it up, there wasn't a heck of a lot to remember.

2009 is the worst year of gaming since that's when Farmville came out.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Whatever year that Shadow of Mordor won Goty on Giant Bomb was probably a really bad year for new game releases

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Whatever year that Shadow of Mordor won Goty on Giant Bomb was probably a really bad year for new game releases

Shadow of Mordor was 2014, which wasn't a bad year at all. Not a GREAT year, but there were some really solid releases.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Vandar posted:

Shadow of Mordor was 2014, which wasn't a bad year at all. Not a GREAT year, but there were some really solid releases.

Yeah I'm looking through 2014 and it's a very B tier year, at least on the non-indie end. There's a lot of good games but nothing really great. Like, Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, COD; AW from the big names. Alien Isolation and SoM are honestly the only two games which stand out as being more than good.

Great year for indies and smaller publishers though - Shovel Knight, Child of Light, Banner Saga, Divinity Original Sin, Transistor, OlliOlli, and Talos Principle.

And Hearthstone, which is still the biggest CCG about, although it probably doesn't make many general gamers' lists since it's ultimately a pretty niche thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The consensus GOTY of 2012 was The Walking Dead which - even if people liked that more at the time, 2012 was not great for major releases.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah I'm looking through 2014 and it's a very B tier year, at least on the non-indie end. There's a lot of good games but nothing really great. Like, Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, COD; AW from the big names. Alien Isolation and SoM are honestly the only two games which stand out as being more than good.

Great year for indies and smaller publishers though - Shovel Knight, Child of Light, Banner Saga, Divinity Original Sin, Transistor, OlliOlli, and Talos Principle.

And Hearthstone, which is still the biggest CCG about, although it probably doesn't make many general gamers' lists since it's ultimately a pretty niche thing.

ds2 pwns noob

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The consensus GOTY of 2012 was The Walking Dead which - even if people liked that more at the time, 2012 was not great for major releases.

thats clearly a game journalists are morons issue because theres no way taht game should be ahead of journey, spec ops, sleeping dogs and dragons dogma

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You could really see the amputation stitches in Dragon's Dogma. Game was unfinished AF.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah, 2014 and 2012 were mid. I do not agree with 2009 being bad, gen 7 sucked hard but that was a bangin year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

thats clearly a game journalists are morons issue because theres no way taht game should be ahead of journey, spec ops, sleeping dogs and dragons dogma

please do not bait me into a spec ops the line flamewar

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
look i dont like dragons dogma but its about being impartial and saying: theres no way on this planet that the walking dead shouldve been goty over any of those.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
correct. the correct GOTY was Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
unironically a better pick than the walking dead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not joking even, it's kind of become the "last good one" by people who got burned out on COD and while that kinda thing is kinda suspect, it's kinda where I fall too.

the campaign owned too lol getting Oliver North irl to star in a game about the CIA being idiots and ruining everything

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

2011 is the Dark Souls of gaming years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s also the Duke Nukem Forever of gaming years

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

(not a bad thing)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man, this yohtig poo poo is going down real soon :woop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It sure is! We've got until midnight Pacific time on Wednesday to get votes in, and then I'll start tallying.

I'm gonna try to get my post in today!! Really gonna try

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

the golden age is now

Correct because we can look back at all of these awesome years and play all the awesome games.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Should I just post a quick rundown for my votes or should I bother with the 2 feature length articles I wrote because I apparently have a lot of thoughts about games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Should I just post a quick rundown for my votes or should I bother with the 2 feature length articles I wrote because I apparently have a lot of thoughts about games

:justpost:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I mean you could try and shop them to a games magazine instead but I think you should just post them instead

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I mean you could try and shop them to a games magazine instead but I think you should just post them instead

Don't give me any more ideas

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello everyone, I have received an anonymous request for a deadline extension that is for a very good reason (and is not because I'm procrastinating my own entry, though that is also an added benefit for me)

So I'm extending the thread deadline by one week! Trust me, the entries we'll get from the extension will be worth it. The new deadline is now :siren: 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 8! :siren:

Please post all complaints about having to wait longer for results in this thread so as to amp up the post count and make it look even more popular, thank you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is an outrage

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A gamer is never late, they arrive precisely when they mean to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the stats! they are being juked!