Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/J_Onaka/status/1563641054095613955

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Got around to watching everything everywhere all at once, and I don't understand why we are supposed to be ok with an abusive mother as the protagonist

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
There is so much gd baggage and cultural cache in the us southern/rural culture. leftist and libs alike fight for crumbs of country authenticity meanwhile chuds remain blissfully unaware and listen to Kane brown and drive big trucks

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Howsito/status/1563919751814197250?s=20&t=CgqQc4MwneAbr9K0EYQ50w

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this is hosed up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Got around to watching everything everywhere all at once, and I don't understand why we are supposed to be ok with an abusive mother as the protagonist

hey everybody look at this rear end in a top hat hes a misogynist

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

she learns from her mistakes and becomes a better person

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Nichael posted:

she learns from her mistakes and becomes a better person

She does not

"you ARE getting fat"

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

hey everybody look at this rear end in a top hat hes a misogynist

I know this is tongue-in-cheek but I am not a he. tyvm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

The nominal "left" is too forgiving of politicians (where people will call you a purity tester for decrying seven-figure speeches to Wall Street firms) and too gatekeepy of individuals (where we try to cancel people for having a hoedown for their mom's birthday)

it's really loving funny, yea. Spending your whole life actively shilling for Wall Street and the MIC? Don't judge that, you're purity testing a victim of violence (people said they may not vote for them). Go to your mom's birthday where there were some dumb 'make this birthday great again' hats? gently caress YOU BITCH I HOPE YOU DIE.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I know this is tongue-in-cheek but I am not a he. tyvm

parent-child relationships in the Asian diaspora are complicated. like, yes, there are elements of abuse, but also there can also be elements of indefatigable support. as an As-Am immigrant my mother has put me through some pretty incredible moments of darkness but also has been there for me through dark moments of my own, has provided for me and remains one of my strongest links to my homeland.

it's not black and white. love looks like different things and is often hardly ever painless. the moral of the story as with a lot of good stories about diasporic trauma is about how to live with yourself and other people when other people, because they are human beings, find it very difficult to change, but cutting them out of your life is not an option either

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

parent-child relationships in the Asian diaspora are complicated. like, yes, there are elements of abuse, but also there can also be elements of indefatigable support. as an As-Am immigrant my mother has put me through some pretty incredible moments of darkness but also has been there for me through dark moments of my own, has provided for me and remains one of my strongest links to my homeland.

it's not black and white. love looks like different things and is often hardly ever painless. the moral of the story as with a lot of good stories about diasporic trauma is about how to live with yourself and other people when other people, because they are human beings, find it very difficult to change, but cutting them out of your life is not an option either

Yeah, I did think it was a pretty sweet story, but I can understand viewing her negatively even at the end of the film.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Doc Fission posted:

jfc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/actioncomcs/status/1563689674232799232

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lolllll

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

maybe go back to reading ya fiction if you cant handle a mom calling her daughter fat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

maybe go back to reading ya fiction if you cant handle a mom calling her daughter fat

this is abuse in the states and is a statement of love in mexico

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The mother created the multiverse, cut her some slack.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

babypolis posted:

this tbh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

babypolis posted:

"abusive"

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Doc Fission posted:

Dude, why would you quote the post where Im correcting my gender instead of the original?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

babypolis posted:

Is this gbs?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like is she a psych textbook example of perfect motherhood, no,

does she defeat an interdimensional conqueror, its army, and her own despair to save her daughter, yes,

it's impossible to say if she's good or not

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

like is she a psych textbook example of perfect motherhood, no,

does she defeat an interdimensional conqueror, its army, and her own despair to save her daughter, yes,

it's impossible to say if she's good or not

a flawed character that changes and grows during the course of the story? not in MY media

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

babypolis posted:

a flawed character that changes and grows during the course of the story? not in MY media

Abusers are not "flawed." Especially when they keep abusing at the end of the movie you loving enabler.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Abusers are not "flawed." Especially when they keep abusing at the end of the movie you loving enabler.

look you wont find any buyers for your dumbass shtick here so just go away already

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol the fat comment at the end is 100% a joke done as a callback and it's clear that her daughter and her gf take it in the spirit it's intended

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fatties angry at being called out. Smdh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Personally I thought Everything Everywhere All at Once was a terrible movie because they made me watch some dumb bitch do kung fu or whatever the gently caress for 2+ hours.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fat

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Personally I thought Everything Everywhere All at Once was a terrible movie because they made me watch some dumb bitch do kung fu or whatever the gently caress for 2+ hours.

now this is an opinion worthy of respect

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spent the entire movie screaming at the screen for more Short Round

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

spent the entire movie screaming at the screen for more Short Round

going to make the short round cut by editing michelle yeoh out of the movie

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

EEAAO was gbs as gently caress

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Imo calling her fat at the end was more about sharing an honest thought from a place of trust, instead of anger and overbearing expectations like earlier. Parents are out of touch, she could've said it better but embracing flaws and mistakes is also a theme throughout.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

going to make the short round cut by editing michelle yeoh out of the movie

Going to call it the hapa cut actually.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I hate it when I enable fictional ppl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

imo calling her fat at the end is was a joke the screenwriters put in to make me--an audience member--laugh, and by god it worked