Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

Battle Royals are a cool idea and cool to play until you realize that you spend more than half the time "playing" collecting stuff or moving to places, not doing anything interesting.

Like most of the gameplay is less interactive than a jrpg.

that's why people play battle royales. that's the secret

it's an excuse to hang out on a call and bullshit with friends while wandering around waiting to see if something happens.

now if you just play BRs with randos then you're a psychopath. sorry but them's the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I prefer playing Battlefield and rushing into dangerous situations with the hope that I can kill people before they kill me, and then respawning quickly and doing it again

BF 2042 was a miserable piece of poo poo disappointment to me. And I'm a guy who loved Battlefield 5 still. How does BF1 still have some of the best graphics of any game, and its like 4 years old?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I prefer playing Battlefield and rushing into dangerous situations with the hope that I can kill people before they kill me, and then respawning quickly and doing it again

BF 2042 was a miserable piece of poo poo disappointment to me. And I'm a guy who loved Battlefield 5 still. How does BF1 still have some of the best graphics of any game, and its like 4 years old?

I like putting C4 on a jeep, driving it into a bunch of guys, then bailing and blowing it up. Id die 90% of the time but its worth it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

they should make a battle royale game about the movie Battle Royale

Like Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Not really an opinion, but I don't know what Fortnite looks like. I know I must've seen it somewhere at some time, but I know so little about it that I can't close my eyes and imagine what a screenshot of it would look like.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cryomancer posted:

Not really an opinion, but I don't know what Fortnite looks like. I know I must've seen it somewhere at some time, but I know so little about it that I can't close my eyes and imagine what a screenshot of it would look like.

Same. Like I know what their marketing material looks like but until the past page or so didn't even know what kind of game it is. Still kinda don't. FPS??

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Literally A Person posted:

Same. Like I know what their marketing material looks like but until the past page or so didn't even know what kind of game it is. Still kinda don't. FPS??

Third person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im playing the remake of Pokemon Pearl and the remake of Link's Awakening

everything's a tape, it's all on tape!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vandar posted:

Third person.

Oh. Uh, yeah. My point exactly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
should i play Breath of the Wild y/n

or has that ship sailed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

don't bother

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I can't imagine a reason not to if you have a Switch. I'm under the impression the sequel is a while off, and I seem to recall BotW is supposed to be something of a reflection of the work of the younger talent at Nintendo.

Alternatively play Breath of Fire II. The best jrpg on the SNES/Switch.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Still loving Sunset Overdrive.
It's... Almost as good as Saints Row 2.
Better than SR3 or 4.

I wish more games had this much enthusiasm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Redezga posted:

I can't imagine a reason not to if you have a Switch. I'm under the impression the sequel is a while off, and I seem to recall BotW is supposed to be something of a reflection of the work of the younger talent at Nintendo.

I can think of a lot of better things to do with that time than play BoTW tbh

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BotW isn't fun.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Redezga posted:

Alternatively play Breath of Fire II. The best grindiest jrpg on the SNES/Switch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Hackers 2 has an option to turn off loading screen tool tips and it cuts loading by at least 50% to turn it off because the tool tips have to be up for a minimum length of time but when they're off it just puts you into the next area as soon as its ready.

What sick gently caress thinks that should be on by default and not indicate thats how it works?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

precision posted:

or has that ship sailed

Dear god, do you know what you have unleashed? :can:

I really liked it, some people don't. It's definitely worth a spin.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

precision posted:

or has that ship sailed

Breath of the Wild is great and you should play it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

or has that ship sailed

If you haven't played any of the botw clones that have come out in the past six or seven years since, then yes, it's a cool game.

If you have, then no, because they're all straight up reskinned reverse engineers with microscopic improvements that make botw feel just a little crappy.

Redezga posted:

please dont advise people to play breath of fire 2

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

But it's the prettiest one with the best characters and great music and a good story! Also I was like 10 the first time I played it so I had all the time in the world to grind! (also it may have been my first jrpg....)

e: look at this beautiful work of art. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWnohxN4KgA

Redezga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 28, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Fur20 posted:

If you haven't played any of the botw clones that have come out in the past six or seven years since, then yes, it's a cool game.

If you have, then no, because they're all straight up reskinned reverse engineers with microscopic improvements that make botw feel just a little crappy.

please dont advise people to play breath of fire 2

Aside from Genshin Impact and Immortals: Fenyx Rising, what other Breath of the Wild clones have released? Honest question, I'm actually curious.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

If only there was some sort of game with shooting one another where when you died you just respawned in like 15 seconds. Oh well maybe somebody will invent that. The secret is the random gear deemphasizes skill.

You're talking about Fiesta in Halo Infinite. It's pretty fun. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Partially depends on which weapons you randomly spawn with.

The new Saints Row is fun. I'm not a humorless old man that loves MOBAs and hates story though, so YMMV.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

NonzeroCircle posted:

Still loving Sunset Overdrive.
It's... Almost as good as Saints Row 2.
Better than SR3 or 4.

I wish more games had this much enthusiasm

I firmly believe that if it had been a PS game at launch rather than XB, it would be considered one of the best games of the generation.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You're talking about Fiesta in Halo Infinite. It's pretty fun. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Partially depends on which weapons you randomly spawn with.

The new Saints Row is fun. I'm not a humorless old man that loves MOBAs and hates story though, so YMMV.

No. I'm talking about like any multiplayer fps that isn't a trash Battle Royale or I suppose a Counter Strike I never did like the whole buying weapons thing. I HAVE SPOKEN!

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Redezga posted:

Teammates declaring gg when losing in ranked Rocket League is probably the only instance where it grinds my gears a bit. Mostly because matches are only 5 minutes long assuming there's no comeback, and more often than not its an open declaration they've given up trying 90 seconds into a game almost always determined by trust and teamwork more than anything. Good team morale goes a long way in that game.

This used to really gently caress me off. Matches can turn around quite easily and people can get really impatient trying to forfeit. It eventually made me realise some people have very different attitudes to me in that game.

On the plus side, unranked mode allowing rematches was so much fun once you got a good team or adversary, and I've found myself wishing other games had more rematch modes

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Waltzing Along posted:

I firmly believe that if it had been a PS game at launch rather than XB, it would be considered one of the best games of the generation.

I was thinking this, too. Granted, never played Sunset Overdrive, but it suffers from the MS hype/ignore/abandon cycle they get into with Win/XB exclusives.

Sony and Nintendo at least seem to have better luck pushing an IP into popularity where it can ride its own momentum for a few years and a few sequels or they're just making games that do that better on its own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vandar posted:

Aside from Genshin Impact and Immortals: Fenyx Rising, what other Breath of the Wild clones have released? Honest question, I'm actually curious.

Genshin is the big one, and I think I've seen a couple other clones but I can't think of them off the top of my head sorry. I wouldn't say they're plentiful, or any good at all on their own merits; their only quality is that they ripped off an existing game that's already good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

When somebody says GG it's over we lose they are almost always right because they will do nothing or actively sabotage the game. gently caress vote concedes, either the game isn't actually over, or the game is almost over. While yes sometimes you'll get people who refuse to finish a clearly won game I don't feel it happens often enough for me to ever want vote concede in a game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i enjoyed fenyx because i thought the dialogue was pretty funny and i only did the main story stuff. but even my ocd completionist brain took one look at the 5000 different side things/collectables on the map and said nope, so it might really suck if you try to 100% it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elentor posted:

Sure but looting aimlessly also increases the odd you'll die to an ambush, which incidentally is the best way to play these games in the mid-game. You loot, you then ambush defenders when they're at their weak spot and then you keep moving.

Back when I was at the top 10 ladder of PUBG's win rating I had a few videos going over entire matches explaining them with commentary over each decision. I'll see in which YT channel they're in because at the time they were well received, and they weren't super long. I think I still have a few short ones around

Again, we had a 20% win rating in PUBG and we eventually got Apex Predator in Apex Legends (though briefly), I'm not super good at aiming but I've written a shitload of strategies for these games in the past.

I think PUBG was the most fun I ever had in a game because it had the right mix of slow and fast pacing intertwined, because when I play Starcraft 2 I just feel like I'm about to have a cardiac arrest at every minute.

I'd be interested in those.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Genshin Impact is not a BotW clone...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Duck and Cover posted:

When somebody says GG it's over we lose they are almost always right because they will do nothing or actively sabotage the game. gently caress vote concedes, either the game isn't actually over, or the game is almost over. While yes sometimes you'll get people who refuse to finish a clearly won game I don't feel it happens often enough for me to ever want vote concede in a game.

i've seen a gg surrender ruse where the winner saw gg and left the game by forfeit because he thought it was over

Devils Affricate posted:

Well yes it's a clone of a dog turd but it's clearly trying to be a clone of BotW

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

Well yes it's a clone of a dog turd but it's clearly trying to be a clone of BotW

They blatantly copied the visual style of the game world but that's about it. The combat and progression are completely different. I wouldn't even place them in the same genre.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

They blatantly copied the visual style of the game world but that's about it. The combat and progression are completely different. I wouldn't even place them in the same genre.

Now that's any unpopular opinion

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Now that's any unpopular opinion

Do you think BotW is a gatcha game?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The new saints row crashes more than any other game I've played that wasn't on a PC. It's virtually unplayable. I quite like the story and it's very pretty but this is a completely broken piece of poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was thinking this, too. Granted, never played Sunset Overdrive, but it suffers from the MS hype/ignore/abandon cycle they get into with Win/XB exclusives.

Sony and Nintendo at least seem to have better luck pushing an IP into popularity where it can ride its own momentum for a few years and a few sequels or they're just making games that do that better on its own.

There's a deep-seated resistance to Xbox, for whatever reason, that makes this a self-fulfilling prophecy and prevents them from gaining traction.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive was right there and people refused so hard that Sony bought the dev.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

There is a lot of BotW DNA in Genshin Impact. They just bolted on a ton of gacha elements and gave the game it's own (admittedly pretty neat) combat system.

I would probably love Genshin if it was like, a single player game with all the gacha nonsense torn out.

site posted:

i enjoyed fenyx because i thought the dialogue was pretty funny and i only did the main story stuff. but even my ocd completionist brain took one look at the 5000 different side things/collectables on the map and said nope, so it might really suck if you try to 100% it

I started through Fenyx recently and I'm enjoying it, it just feels like there's something there missing to really let it sink it's hooks into me, and I can't figure out what it is. I feel like it's so close to being a great game, there's just something off about it and it's bothering me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know what I miss? Custom Games or even just lobby’s with randos. These days so few games give you a way to play anything that isn’t matchmade narrowly defined by devs gametype and map, is to have at least a dozen acquaintances who all play at the same time of day, own the same game, and play said game on the same console/PC. Remember when you could just join something on a server/game list and find something novel? And I’m not even talking about crazy stuff that turned things into full on new games like the original Counterstrike and Team Fortress, just stuff like turning on max vehicle spawns or changing starting weapons and the like. And instead of either going to a completely new group from scratch every match or the exact same people every night forever.