Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I used jetpacks a ton on one map. It worked great until it didn't when dupes started getting stranded in the regolith and dying. Haven't used them since, although I suspect they're good for supplying/repairing/building rockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

tima posted:

... as well as running hydrogen in the opposite direction of the sour gas in the main cooling chamber to make sure it liquidifies efficiently.

I forgot to do that! I just had it running along the bottom of my cooling pit. Turns out, that was a big mistake. I now have the cold end entering at the bottom and flowing up going up halfway to counterflow the sour gas coming down, and it is easily handling double the throughput while using less cooling to do it. Counterflows kick rear end!

Hopefully going to be water positive enough to grow some bristle blossoms to feed my space program!

E: Fun 'bug' - I had to put the liquid pumps on a timer to stop for 1 second every 5 seconds, otherwise the left-hand mini-pump was always in complete vacuum, and it started heating up. It had got to +30C before I noticed, while completely surrounded by -185C things!

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 23, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Agreed, counterflow is the balls. I'm trying to get a geothermal water purifier running (scored a cool slush AND a cool salt slush geyser on one map) but the balancing is the trick. Always is, really

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Do the Spaced Out starting asteroids always have the same geysers or do I just keep lucking out?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the very first starting asteroids are always the same (different set depending on which starter you choose) but the other ones have some variation.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
There are some guaranteed geysers so you're never ending up with no cool steam for example. Sulfur is guaranteed on your second rock so you can always sweetle/grubfruit farm.
Hydrogen/chlorine/natural gas have their own partially random slot so you see those often, but not together.
Then there are some complete randoms in addition to that, so hot water or hot steam are significantly less frequent to see, because they compete for slots with all other types.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Fartin' In The Airlock: A Dupe's Tale

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Panty Saluter posted:

Fartin' In The Airlock: A Dupe's Tale

gotta love when your dupes get third degree burns from farting next to a volcano

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
that would be the most dupe death ever, i think

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminds me of the famous "can't stop lava flooding my base because a cat wedged my doors open with a dead butterfly" deaths in dwarf fortress.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How do you store Enriched Uranium? I can't seem to find a container that will let you put it in.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How do you store Enriched Uranium? I can't seem to find a container that will let you put it in.

Regular storage containers. Look under Manufactured Material.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s odd. Wasn’t showing up, but I could see (and hover the cursor over) 100kg of it. Then I scooped some out of a hive and now it shows.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so what is the best use for Insulation? I just brewed some up because why not, but I'm guessing it's useful mostly for big industrial machines.

Also on liquid O2/H2, is capping delivery at 10% a must? H2 especially, I found trying to max the pipe was asking for problems even with ceramic insulation.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
you answered your own question

insulated pipes made from insulation will exchange NO heat with their contents. you can keep liquid hydrogen inside of insulated insulation pipes in a pool of magma for thousands of cycles with no broken pipes.

yes, you need a lot.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well, I guess I can loop a rocket to a planet with isoresin. What's another 1000 cycles? :skeltal: OFC the 10% hack still gets rockets filled pretty quick so it's not a bad stopgap

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I used to see a technique of using radiant pipes in space. You'd lose some to boiling as the pipes cooled down, but once they were cold enough, you could pump H2 just fine. I haven't done it since Spaced Out came out, but I can't imagine anything has changed to break it

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
The radiant pipes in space thing can work, but not if they get any exposure to rocket exhaust.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Well, I guess I can loop a rocket to a planet with isoresin. What's another 1000 cycles? :skeltal: OFC the 10% hack still gets rockets filled pretty quick so it's not a bad stopgap

You can up it to 100% capacity once the hydrogen has cooled the pipes down sufficiently.

You can also loop hella-cold supercoolant through the pipes for a bit (you should have a continuous loop regardless to let the "warmed" hydrogen back into the chiller) and go straight to full capacity hydrogen too.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

The radiant pipes in space thing can work, but not if they get any exposure to rocket exhaust.

Yeah if you have a long run for some reason and there's no risk of rocket exhaust or random gas explosions near them it works great. Just switch to ceramic about 20-30 tiles from the rockets.

Insulation is really, really excessive for rocket fueling though. Just circulate at 1kg for ~50-100 cycles and then crank it up after that. Insulation can be handy to simplify a few things like the O2/H2 intake pipes that will freeze eventually when they get backed up, so you could use 2-3 tiles of insulated pipe instead of an external powered cutoff, for example. Insulation is also necessary in a few super high temp industrial builds like for abyssalite melters. But by and large, it's worthless. Hence why it's so stupid the game trivially gives you infinite supercoolant, which you can actually make use of large amounts of, but then restricts borderline worthless insulation behind the tree.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just use ceramic insulated pipes and loop the liquid h2/o2 back into the cooler with the pump just running permanently. it doesn't change temp much at all even when under rocket gas, so as long as it keeps looping it'll be fine

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I use insulation only for a few choice pipe segments

- From liquid H2 pump to liquid valve for metering 1000 g/s to chill a radiant piping run

- LOX/LH2 pipes that cross rocket exhaust and walls

- The same as above, but when starting up a machine that pumps magma or liquid metals

It's such a pain in the rear end to make that it doesn't make sense for anything else, at least until cycle 1000 where you have a giant interplanetary setup for turning frost burgers into resin

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Stuffed Berry is another good option, especially if you have one of the radioactive ocean asteroids with like 4 water geysers on it. Basically just water, pwater, and a tiny bit of phosphorite. A single farmer/cook can easily max out the production needed to satisfy the ~70k/cycle calories the plant can eat at that quality.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Rescue Toaster posted:

Stuffed Berry is another good option, especially if you have one of the radioactive ocean asteroids with like 4 water geysers on it. Basically just water, pwater, and a tiny bit of phosphorite. A single farmer/cook can easily max out the production needed to satisfy the ~70k/cycle calories the plant can eat at that quality.

I'm assuming that's with the plants autoharvesting?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Gonna spend part of today trying to secure the iron volcano that I found above my base. Should mean I never have to worry about refined metal ever again.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm assuming that's with the plants autoharvesting?

Domestically grown with a farmer, yeah. If you have fertilizer that helps reduce the water load, but I had a ton of extra water on that world. I didn't start on the radioactive ocean and there was little reason to ship the water off of there, so I just setup a single farmer to live there and cook stuffed berry and launch it to the tree planet. I had a drecko ranch on my main planet so I brought over a couple tons of phosphorite to start with. A small wild drecko setup wouldn't be hard either if needed. Stuffed Berry is one of the higher-throughput foods for the tree and like I said basically only takes water and a half decent farmer, so it's low effort. The wiki page for the tree explains, but basically it consumes by weight at a certain speed, but produces by calories, so the higher density (calories per kg) foods allow much more resin production.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I dropped a rover on a completely frozen asteroid with four iron volcanos on it. All I did was uncover the volcanos and I don’t plan on returning with dupes for at least a couple hundred cycles.

Brilliant saving of time and resources or terribly stupid mistake?
Literal tons of free convenient refined iron or congrats on your planet wide steam box?

Guess I’ll see eventually.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I dropped a rover on a completely frozen asteroid with four iron volcanos on it. All I did was uncover the volcanos and I don’t plan on returning with dupes for at least a couple hundred cycles.

Literal tons of free convenient refined iron or congrats on your planet wide steam box?

Why not both?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Now that’s thinkin'.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sadly what usually happens is some polluted ice melts, and the iron boils it, leaving a tiny spot of dirt behind, which then melts into sand and creates solid tiles, eventually blocking the volcano. You might want to dig out any polluted ice nearby/above and sweep it somewhere where it won't melt on top of the volcano and block it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rescue Toaster posted:

Sadly what usually happens is some polluted ice melts, and the iron boils it, leaving a tiny spot of dirt behind, which then melts into sand and creates solid tiles, eventually blocking the volcano. You might want to dig out any polluted ice nearby/above and sweep it somewhere where it won't melt on top of the volcano and block it.

Sometimes you end up with a natural glass smelter which can be fun.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah that happened within a few cycles. Luckily the first time the rover's battery wasn't dead yet.

e: and apparently sometimes dropping molten iron on sand turns it into glass?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 27, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah sand melts into liquid glass, which freezes into solid glass.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

oh jay posted:

Sometimes you end up with a natural glass smelter which can be fun.

You can actually make ceramic too by just heating clay. The lovely thing with all these fun interactions is if you make a solid, it becomes a tile, and then to mine it out you lose half the mass.

Kind of weird to have it ALWAYS convert a phase changed solid into a tile, regardless of mass. And also ALWAYS mine for 50% in every scenario. Not sure what the logic behind both those is.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Found myself with a big pool of oil and a desire to boil it to petroleum geothermally. I can't dunk it in the oil, so I guess it needs to be raised? OK, working from there - long spikes are terrible and waste a lot of heat, don't want that. Hm.

Oh I know, a tall chimney to fill with petroleum could work. OK sure, it'll take a while to fill but on the upside it acts as a massive thermal buffer that will keep runaway heating in check. Let's try that.

I present, for your amusement, The Jefferson Tallpipe Memorial Refinery

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

lol, now that's a stack of petrol!
Insulation - you don't need insulated pipes unless you are really paranoid. Normal pipes made with insulation are still 2000x more insulating than ceramic insulated pipes. Insulated insulation(!) are another 300x more than that but there really is no need.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

OzyMandrill posted:

Insulation - you don't need insulated pipes unless you are really paranoid. Normal pipes made with insulation are still 2000x more insulating than ceramic insulated pipes. Insulated insulation(!) are another 300x more than that but there really is no need.

A non-insulated pipe will rapidly exchange heat with its contents, regardless of what it is made of, because it uses the average TC not the geometric mean. Though because insulation has such low TC, I imagine it'd be fine. You'd have a very hot/cold pipe but it wouldn't exchange heat very fast with the environment. I might not run it through hot metal tiles or something I guess.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah that sucks. It needs to much fibre to make, I never get more than a few tons so just use ceramic for insulated pipes. I love deodorisers so I always have shitloads of that comparatively.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
whatup nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

As a man who refuses to use airlock mods, I'd much rather have the viscogel.