Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The pandemic has kind of hosed things up because dealers can be unresponsive with no consequences for their bottom line, but at least in the last few years there has been a huge emphasis on working email leads more effectively. It's obviously highly variable but this isn't 2012 anymore; there are at least some dealers who run email competently. The amount of effort is low to start, so you might as well fire em off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah I was able to get prices on a Japanese compact car over email in 2015 at dealerships in a large metropolitan area with a lot of competition.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I was gonna do email just bc, after (stupidly) putting my email address into the Consumer Reports car buying thingie, I'm now getting emails from a few dealers asking if I'm looking for a new car. Will prob fire off a few emails expecting no reply before I start calling.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Oddly enough, I had more success with email when internet was relatively new. In 1999 I bought a new Z28 over email from the then-new "internet sales department" of a local Chevy dealer. I asked for a price over email on a unit they had in stock, and they gave it to me immediately with no BS. I went in for a test drive and signed the papers and was done with probably less than 90 minutes of total time invested.

But I've bought 3 cars since then and basically got nowhere with email, beyond maybe confirming that a car was in stock and setting up a test drive.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I bought my Mazda almost entirely via email, but it was in March 2020 right before the automotive supply chain went to poo poo, so no idea if it’d work in the current climate.

Emailed every dealer within 50 miles asking for exactly the model, trim, and color I wanted and that I was buying that week with the Mazda promo financing. Got the run around or the “come on in and we’ll talk” from several, but also got good price quotes from several others. Went with one that got me about 10% under MSRP, showed up to sign the papers and drive it away. Exactly how buying a car should be.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I used Truecar back in February, it got me in touch with several email/internet sales departments for Mazdas. One dealer came out with a below MSRP price without even arguing and they got my business. I talked to other dealers on the phone but nobody else had the trim/color combo I wanted on allocation.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My wife made initial contact with the dealership via e-mail and then literally everything else except the test drive and then picking up the truck a couple months later was done via text message with the sales guy during the evenings, apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Everything is cheaper in America, they just make up the difference on volume

I've wondered out loud for years why europeans don't fly to the states to buy their laptops. The price differential is (or was, pre pandemic) greater than the cost of a budget ticket to anywhere on the east coast. What is a $800 laptop in the states is usually $1500 in Europe, if you can even buy that high a spec laptop. Technically you need to declare it at customs but :shrug:

Full disclosure: flew to Hong Kong to get a custom wedding tux made for the same price as a rental
What makes you think we don't? :ssh:

I almost saved over a grand on a camera this May but in the end Canon refused to ship it because my card didn't have a US billing address :( But a few years back I bought a lens and a graphics card in Hong Kong. Realistically you don't actually save anything of course if you fly just to buy something, but I know I'm traveling to the US or Asia every now and then so I save all purchases for then.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you're not saving anything, just getting a free vacation out of replacing a necessary item. Going to the US from Europe is probably not half as exciting as going in the other direction

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you're not saving anything, just getting a free vacation out of replacing a necessary item. Going to the US from Europe is probably not half as exciting as going in the other direction

I mean obviously as an American you think so but most of the Euros I know are super jazzed to go to the States.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
US is a nice enough place to visit I'd imagine, especially if your port of entry is gonna be Chicago, NYC, or DC. Most of the problems compared to Europe come from living here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can I just say that is really sucks buying a car right now? Because it really sucks. Such a pain in the rear end.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Looking for help for a couple who recently dramatically increased their income in exchange for a whole new commute that absolutely requires a car. So the car is needed on the timeframe of a few weeks.

Proposed Budget: $3k down, 20-30k total (maybe?)
New or Used: either, but probably new for the longevity and better apr
Body Style: sedan, hatchback, or crossover
How will you be using the car?: 50mi/day work commute, not much else besides city driving
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low maintenance costs are the #1 concern, followed by comfort for longer drives with good handling/smoothness, then good MPG. Some overall favoritism towards Subaru due to positive past personal experiences

A broader question than just what type of car to get is how exactly to approach this situation. One route that I think would be best in most general situations would be to get a cheap used car with the cash on hand and then save for something better. But that runs immediately counter to reliability, the most important aspect for the car (and commute). My car is also making GBS threads the bed, and based on my amateur research the used car market in the $3-5k range does not seem to be what it once was.. On the other hand, financing is like giving extra bags of cash in the form of interest to Satan while betting that your life will remain at least as stable as it currently is for the entire length of the loan. But they also have a large flexibility in their budget going forward, and have resolved to set aside $2,500 for the next 6-12mo to secure something that will be safe and dependable for the long term. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean targeting a loan of a one year term length, but rather going for 36-48 months without prepayment penalties, then having the flexibility to pay it down faster. Discussing short to medium term lifestyle sacrifices in exchange for minimizing the total amount of interest paid seems like a good start to me. Cars on the 6x$2500 end of that range would probably have to be used, which sacrifices some safety and dependability for more cash on hand and less overall debt.

I've been wondering how even to approach asking this, and it might even be too subjective to give a concrete answer about, because even something like perceived job security affects how risky it is to assume a future income. People navigate more perilous situations every day, but people also do stupid poo poo every day too. Is it just shopping around different credit unions and banks for rates while poking around some dealerships to see exactly how much would need to be financed? Seems like plenty of cars in the $20,000-$30,000 range would be potential options. Any general words of wisdom for navigating the car market in 2022?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Shop at local credit unions for loans. Get pre approved and have the "dealer fills in the check" thing ready to go. At the same time, call dealers to make sure they have cars at MSRP before even agreeing to see something.

I'd look at the Camry Hybrid, Accord, CR-V, Mazda3 and maybe the RAV4 for reliability and comfort on the highway for that much. Then also look up Sonatas, Tucsons, and maybe the new Kia sedans that look snazzy. Really it's just going to be sitting in them and figuring out what feels the best for an hour a day. I'm sure I'm missing a lot but 20-30k is the sweet spot for new cars. I wouldn't even bother looking for used in this market.

drat that's a long commute.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A Bag of Milk posted:

Looking for help for a couple who recently dramatically increased their income in exchange for a whole new commute that absolutely requires a car. So the car is needed on the timeframe of a few weeks.

How will you be using the car?: 50mi/day work commute, not much else besides city driving
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low maintenance costs are the #1 concern, followed by comfort for longer drives with good handling/smoothness, then good MPG. Some overall favoritism towards Subaru due to positive past personal experiences

A broader question than just what type of car to get is how exactly to approach this situation. One route that I think would be best in most general situations would be to get a cheap used car with the cash on hand and then save for something better. But that runs immediately counter to reliability, the most important aspect for the car (and commute). My car is also making GBS threads the bed, and based on my amateur research the used car market in the $3-5k range does not seem to be what it once was.. On the other hand, financing is like giving extra bags of cash in the form of interest to Satan while betting that your life will remain at least as stable as it currently is for the entire length of the loan. But they also have a large flexibility in their budget going forward, and have resolved to set aside $2,500 for the next 6-12mo to secure something that will be safe and dependable for the long term. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean targeting a loan of a one year term length, but rather going for 36-48 months without prepayment penalties, then having the flexibility to pay it down faster. Discussing short to medium term lifestyle sacrifices in exchange for minimizing the total amount of interest paid seems like a good start to me. Cars on the 6x$2500 end of that range would probably have to be used, which sacrifices some safety and dependability for more cash on hand and less overall debt.

I've been wondering how even to approach asking this, and it might even be too subjective to give a concrete answer about, because even something like perceived job security affects how risky it is to assume a future income. People navigate more perilous situations every day, but people also do stupid poo poo every day too. Is it just shopping around different credit unions and banks for rates while poking around some dealerships to see exactly how much would need to be financed? Seems like plenty of cars in the $20,000-$30,000 range would be potential options. Any general words of wisdom for navigating the car market in 2022?

There’s nothing under $5k with the reliability desired.

Prius.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

50/mi day one way or round trip

Reliability and gas mileage puts Prius in the top three

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

A: Prius if they can find one and swing it. Corolla or Civic hybrid if not. The actual answer will be "whatever they can find in stock."

B: Sit down with an amortization calculator and figure out how much you're actually saving with weird payment plans vs. paying the minimum for the life of the loan. In an era of rising interest rates it might not be worth it, and in the best case it probably won't be $1000. Getting gap insurance to cover a low down payment will probably work out better.

C: No loan from a reputable place will penalize you for paying extra, and no one should accept a loan under those terms. Dealer financing will ask you not to pay it off in the first 6 months, but that also isn't a requirement. If they want to pay some extra early to get above water and drop gap coverage, I wouldn't blame them, but again it's probably a lot of sacrifice for not much gain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mildly curious what the amortization calculator says about sinking $3 grand into a depreciating asset in the era of 7%+ inflation. I can't help but wonder if there's a better place to put that money, but also I guess most people aren't able to find 0 down car loans these days

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My credit union does gap insurance for an incredibly nominal amount. Like 100 bucks or something. I wouldn't do it otherwise.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thanks for all the advice. The 50mi was round trip although I have since learned I lowballed that, and it's actually 58mi, and nearly 2 hours. That commute would not be my cup of tea but people must follow opportunities where they come I suppose.

Based on actual dealer inventory it looks like we're still in the hosed times, so "what they can get" may indeed be the truest answer. Has anyone used Costco Auto Program? They claim to pre-negotiate prices with certain dealerships. But the prices listed on the Costco website are wildly different from the dealership. $29k for a hybrid Rav4 on Costco vs 36k actually existing on the dealership website, for example. Is it really a matter of asking the dealer for the "Costco Member-Only Price Sheet" and instantly being shown a price thousands of dollars off of sticker? Or, when you look at the Costco website, are you looking at a hypothetical version of the car (e.g. without various extras) that you will never find in real life, and thus the prices will never line up?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jay-V posted:

I'm looking to purchase but I'm very much not a car guy and not sure where to start so hello!

Proposed Budget: <$40K, but more important to me is monthly payments of hopefully less than $600 (credit score is around 800)
New or Used: New "regular" car or used luxury
Body Style: Prefer sedan (I insist on 4 doors) but open to SUVs potentially.
How will you be using the car?: 80% will likely be driving me, my wife, and dog to places like 5-10 mins away in the neighborhood (Queens, so technically "the city" but with some specific locations of note slightly spread out). Occasionally might go into other boroughs for things annoying to get to on public transportation, hauling a group of ~5 around the city, or take 3-6 hour road trips with the wife for hiking/camping. A *chance* in a few years of a kid which could mean trading this one in if I go with something that just isn't appropriate for that.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and safety are definitely most important and I'd be cool with a Honda or Toyota, but I can't deny there's a part of me that is interested in something snazzier/upscale. Comfort is a big thing for us so it'd be great to have things like heated/ventilated seats, a nice navigation UI, etc. but I don't know how realistic that is with this budget and this market. A good MPG is nice of course but I'm willing to trade that for something more comfy.

Happy to answer any other Qs, again I don't really know what i'm talking about!

Lexus ES 350. It’s basically an Avalon with leather seats. Your use cases sound almost exactly like my own. I bought a 2015 model a year and a half ago for about $23k and I love it.

No hitch, but you could get one added at a shop that does that or else use these.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The Prius is not a comfortable car on the highway for 2 hours a day, are y'all crazy? There's plenty of cars with the Prius driveline that are more comfortable.

Have them get a loan on a new car. With the amount of miles they'll be putting on it, it's expected that they'll need a new car every 3-4 years anyways. Might as well be a new one with a warranty and the reliability needed.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 29, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I was gonna suggest the Camry as a more comfortable Prius alternative. You give up some fuel economy in return for comfort and sound deadening material, and also the car merely looking unattractive instead of like dog poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hadlock posted:

Mildly curious what the amortization calculator says about sinking $3 grand into a depreciating asset in the era of 7%+ inflation. I can't help but wonder if there's a better place to put that money, but also I guess most people aren't able to find 0 down car loans these days
7% inflation means there's a 7% sale on cars. Never been a better time to buy!

A Bag of Milk posted:

I am normally the most financing cost averse in the thread and you have all the right feelings but maybe the wrong conclusions.

The financing cost is pessimistically there as a backstop for exactly the situation you're theorizing. If you're suddenly unable to make payments the bank will be happy to liberate you of the need to. You should sell it yourself and close out the loan of course but you have options and flexibility and the financing cost is for helping you stay flexible.

Interest is currently a bit up compared to the heady days of finance every dollar you can but they are still drat low compared to some past paradigms where it paid to be financing averse. I still like 3 year term loans to be financing cost averse but anyway the smart plan for most people's budgets is to get a 4 or 5 year loan and pay it off early if you want to minimize interest costs if you have nothing better to do with the money like eat or gamble in retail stock market accounts.

The main way to save money right now is minimize the number of transactions you have to make. It sounds like you're already convinced of this but do not buy something now to trade back in 1-2 years. This is one of the biggest advantages of paying financing cost to realize big gains in safety or reliability compared to trying to buy cars for cash only.

All that to confirm what others are saying, you're looking to put $3k down on a $25k car that could be new or used based on your right now requirement. Yes financing is as easy as shopping rates and using the best.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thanks for all the advice. The 50mi was round trip although I have since learned I lowballed that, and it's actually 58mi, and nearly 2 hours. That commute would not be my cup of tea but people must follow opportunities where they come I suppose.

Based on actual dealer inventory it looks like we're still in the hosed times, so "what they can get" may indeed be the truest answer. Has anyone used Costco Auto Program? They claim to pre-negotiate prices with certain dealerships. But the prices listed on the Costco website are wildly different from the dealership. $29k for a hybrid Rav4 on Costco vs 36k actually existing on the dealership website, for example. Is it really a matter of asking the dealer for the "Costco Member-Only Price Sheet" and instantly being shown a price thousands of dollars off of sticker? Or, when you look at the Costco website, are you looking at a hypothetical version of the car (e.g. without various extras) that you will never find in real life, and thus the prices will never line up?
Costco Auto Buying is a broker/agent based program. You don't go to the dealer and say I got a Costco membership (there may be some dealers who do this but it's not the auto buying program). You submit to Costco I want make and model ABC, they give it to an agent who maintains relationship with dealers, and the agent confirms the dealership has the car on allotment for date XYZ and will sell it to you for this much money. You say yes or no and the transaction is set up for you to show up and finalize it at the dealer. Or certain cases where local laws and the dealer both support remote closing in which case you may straight up get the car delivered to your driveway.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is the costco buying program generally similar to what truecar does, or is it more expansive?

I essentially get truecar through my aaa membership, but my experience with it in the past is that I'll get a few offers on price but still end up negotiating or dealing with crap on tacked on fees, so that it is better than coming in blind from the street to buy a car, but doesn't actually make it hassle free.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The two way road of buying 5 figure assets is nothing is really binding until the to be registered owner signs an invoiced purchasing agreement. Short of concierge level service where the agent is bodily with you at the dealer or serving you the PA and loan paperwork personally you just have a promise they talked with the dealer and they are cool with the deal. Costco lands on the hands off side.

Costco encourages you to walk out and report them if your bottom line differs but I've read a couple online horror stories that Costco isn't exactly pressing their relationships during the car chaos times and saying "well what are we going to do, they are our only dealer in your area."

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'm in the early stages of car shopping for me and my partner. We're both remote workers in a north Chicago neighborhood, but there's probably a dog in our future and I don't want to have to fireman carry it to the vet. Not in a tremendous hurry to buy, but would like to be driving by the end of the year if possible.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000, 800 credit score
New or Used: Mostly looking at new given the market conditions
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: City driving, road trips, eventual dog transport
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and ability to be at least somewhat drivable in poo poo Chicago weather

My preference would be a Honda Civic or Accord, but there's pretty much no inventory nearby and the few Hondas there are have $5K dealer markups and thousands in add-ons I don't want. I've rented a handful of Nissan Sentras and Altimas in the past and liked them well enough, and there seems to be way more inventory in my area with a likelier chance of getting one at MSRP, but I know they're not generally as well-regarded or value-retentive as their Honda counterparts. I've only done a bit of research on the used market, but the prices generally seem to be so high that it seems to make the most sense to just buy new unless there's something I'm missing.

Anyway, does it make sense to buy a car that I think I'd be happy with but falls into the realm of "good enough," or should I hold out for the one that I'd rather have but will either have to wait for or accept that I'm going to get gouged? Should I be giving the used market a harder look? Or should I just start doing squats now so I can comfortably carry a golden retriever for over a mile?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Go to a Carmax or whatever and sit in all of their midsize hatchbacks/CUVs and figure out which ones are comfortable. Then make a short list and call around until you find something. It might take a while if you are particular. The thread really likes Mazda.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

Go to a Carmax or whatever and sit in all of their midsize hatchbacks/CUVs and figure out which ones are comfortable. Then make a short list and call around until you find something. It might take a while if you are particular. The thread really likes Mazda.

Also, be sure to test drive everything on your short list. Every car looks awesome on paper. It's often not until you're behind the wheel that the deficiencies show up.

We went through this a couple years ago with my daughter-in-law. She liked the looks (and prices) of many cars, but when she drove them the Mazda 3 stood out very obviously as the best of the lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah not sure why you want a sedan specifically when your use case is Haul Dog

my main advice is don't buy a Nissan Rogue Sport

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Also, be sure to test drive everything on your short list. Every car looks awesome on paper. It's often not until you're behind the wheel that the deficiencies show up.

We went through this a couple years ago with my daughter-in-law. She liked the looks (and prices) of many cars, but when she drove them the Mazda 3 stood out very obviously as the best of the lot.

Right. By "sit in" I mean "drive"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
We haul around our 50-60 lb German shepherd mix in the back of our 2015 Lexus ES almost every day. One time we even squeezed her bed back in there with her. So if the aesthetic of a sedan is high priority, you should be okay.

PS we bought our Lexus two Februarys ago for like $23k and 42k miles. So if your budget is $30k, while agree buying used probably isn’t smart for generic brands at the moment, it can be nice to see your 2010s luxury options with that budget.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Thanks for the hatchback advice, was thinking sedan just based on my own preferences and experience, but I'll keep an open mind if I find one I like. Sounds like I'll be taking a field trip out to the Carmax then

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Squashing Machine posted:

Thanks for the hatchback advice, was thinking sedan just based on my own preferences and experience, but I'll keep an open mind if I find one I like. Sounds like I'll be taking a field trip out to the Carmax then

A hatchback is a sedan for people with big dogs and a need to carry the occasional piece of furniture. They're great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

We haul around our 50-60 lb German shepherd mix in the back of our 2015 Lexus ES almost every day. One time we even squeezed her bed back in there with her. So if the aesthetic of a sedan is high priority, you should be okay.

PS we bought our Lexus two Februarys ago for like $23k and 42k miles. So if your budget is $30k, while agree buying used probably isn’t smart for generic brands at the moment, it can be nice to see your 2010s luxury options with that budget.

This advice also applies to a BMW 7 series from like 2016, but with an even larger rear door for improved doggie ingress/egress

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

This advice also applies to a BMW 7 series from like 2016, but with an even larger rear door for improved doggie ingress/egress

I don't particularly recommend a 7 series for Chicago city driving.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can't comment on chicago, with with all the modern whiz bang radar ultrasound things never had an issue myself driving in dense downtown traffic before we moved to flyover country. Wife complained for about a week but then learned to trust the whiz bang gadgets and haven't had any issues, zero

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm in the early stages of car shopping for me and my partner. We're both remote workers in a north Chicago neighborhood, but there's probably a dog in our future and I don't want to have to fireman carry it to the vet. Not in a tremendous hurry to buy, but would like to be driving by the end of the year if possible.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000, 800 credit score
New or Used: Mostly looking at new given the market conditions
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: City driving, road trips, eventual dog transport
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and ability to be at least somewhat drivable in poo poo Chicago weather

My preference would be a Honda Civic or Accord, but there's pretty much no inventory nearby and the few Hondas there are have $5K dealer markups and thousands in add-ons I don't want. I've rented a handful of Nissan Sentras and Altimas in the past and liked them well enough, and there seems to be way more inventory in my area with a likelier chance of getting one at MSRP, but I know they're not generally as well-regarded or value-retentive as their Honda counterparts. I've only done a bit of research on the used market, but the prices generally seem to be so high that it seems to make the most sense to just buy new unless there's something I'm missing.

Anyway, does it make sense to buy a car that I think I'd be happy with but falls into the realm of "good enough," or should I hold out for the one that I'd rather have but will either have to wait for or accept that I'm going to get gouged? Should I be giving the used market a harder look? Or should I just start doing squats now so I can comfortably carry a golden retriever for over a mile?

My only advice is to make sure you get something with some form/degree of adaptive cruise control. Shouldn't be hard if you're buying new, as I think it's standard on Toyotas and Hondas these days (and probably other makes).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Can't comment on chicago, with with all the modern whiz bang radar ultrasound things never had an issue myself driving in dense downtown traffic before we moved to flyover country. Wife complained for about a week but then learned to trust the whiz bang gadgets and haven't had any issues, zero

Weren't you in a good weather state? I've noticed that makes a huge difference in people's perception of how those devices work.

I also live in a place where people drive where the lane markers used to be because gently caress You, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Weren't you in a good weather state? I've noticed that makes a huge difference in people's perception of how those devices work.

I also live in a place where people drive where the lane markers used to be because gently caress You, that's why.

Everything people do in New England is because "gently caress You, that's why"