Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Found this today:

From an article posted on 8 June 2022, the day the week long $12,000 slide started. Conservative predictions say... lmfao

link, if anyone cares: https://time.com/nextadvisor/investing/cryptocurrency/bitcoin-price-history/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Nah, I work in POS and with payment processors and gateways and this isn't correct at all. Particularly with EMV systems.

No that's not how semi-integrated systems work. The POS doesn't even see payment credential data since EMV became a thing. The POS is blind to that, it's the payment processor/gateway that handles that and those networks are more secure than you're making out. It's not perfect but you're saying that because packets are being sent they're vulnerable. Which like, ok, but that's practically a non-existent risk even without tokenization/blind pay masking.

e; you may be using a broad definition of POS to include payment processors like Shift4 or Elavon or w/e which is incorrect but some POS vendors (Square for example) are both POS and payment companies. In the latter case maybe but that data is still encrypted end-to-end, and the chip & pin shift moved all card data out of the other POS systems to the payment system (the little hand held terminals you enter your PIN on) and those and the associated networks might have vulnerabilities but it's insignificant compared to any other form of fraud.

e2; for US posters, when you're in a restaurant and someone takes your card away to swipe it and then you have to sign? That's bad. The payment network is still secure, but ChronoBasher's point above is way more accurate because your CC data is then in the POS because the payment gets stored in the POS and sent to the processor/gateway as a pre-auth and then sent on after you sign (because of tip etc) and, uh, they're not nearly as good at security as the banks and the payment guys are just FYI. The US is the only major western market that still does this.

As I understand it, a significant part of the difficulty in securing EMV comes from all the legacy poo poo hanging around on the modern card ecosystem (e.g magstripe/Track2 data), which is what facilitates things like downgrade attacks. This is where the terminal essentially lies to the card and informs it that it only supports a considerably weaker payment flow, at which point the more secure system is essentially obviated. This is all before we get into the argument about whether triple DES can still be considered to be actively secure.

You also have to consider the attack model; does EMV protect against attacks that would otherwise be possible if the data wasn't encrypted? Generally yes. Does it protect against skimmers and other things that harvest cleartext data like the PAN that are encoded in the magstripe? No. Does this data then get sold on (sometimes on actual Facebook groups dedicated to card fraud)? Yes, all the goddamn time.

EMV is a bit of a pain in the rear end because the primary point of it appears to be to give banks more leeway in refusing to deal with fraud by touting chip-and-pin as being unconditionally secure, ergo whenever it goes wrong it's obviously your fault.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

greazeball posted:

Found this today:

From an article posted on 8 June 2022, the day the week long $12,000 slide started. Conservative predictions say... lmfao

link, if anyone cares: https://time.com/nextadvisor/investing/cryptocurrency/bitcoin-price-history/

Lmao that's just absurd. These people should have their internet licences revoked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BigBadSteve posted:

Since she's a conpiracy hypothesist i('theorist' would be way too strong a word), I won't say she "almost got it". So, rinse (with rancid piss and lovely water) and repeat ad nauseum, I guess, until old age takes her, or she dies of exposure in the streets after she becomes homeless from blowing the rent money on yet more "stable, 100% safe, very high interest crypto investments", or she's beaten or stabbed to death in said streets (life is often not kind to the homeless).

Poor woman. Another sad victim of crypto/cryptobros.

I wonder if some people are just born this way, apparently without a bullshit detector gene. Was she that much of an airhead back in school, haljordan?

Honestly for a lot of these people it's like they actively seek out bullshit.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

knox_harrington posted:

Lmao that's just absurd. These people should have their internet licences revoked.

I'm so glad I got my irrevocable licence from Yahoo back when they just listed all the websites in existence.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I mean, it follows a certain amount of logic as long as you squint a lot and don't think too hard.

Wealth comes to good people->I'm a good person so I deserve wealth->I'm not wealthy yet->Conventional financial wisdom is wrong->Find places that tell me I'm good and also that are outside conventional financial wisdom.

Lots of institutions breed this sort of thinking:
1. Whatever you're doing is the right thing, and you are a good person. That's what brought you to (this institution)!
2. You deserve better and it's not your fault things aren't better. Things would be better for you if (insert entity) wasn't holding you back.
3. (This institution/author/preacher/self-help guru) can help you find the right path. It's a little bit more than you want to pay right now but it will pay off in the long run.
4. Keep on working as instructed and you'll get where you want to go. We can put you in touch with more people who believe like this and will tell you how much better you're doing.
5. Stay the course when outsiders tell you this is wrong. They only say this because they're jealous of your success. Being one of us is how you get the exclusive information that only we have! Please, don't ask further questions.
6. You're actually fighting a war against the outsiders. We have materials available to encourage you. Don't abandon your new friends in this war! Don't lose access to all this stuff! This is part of your identity now!

When people get into the late stages, you've got a populace who hangs on every word, encourages each other to stick with you, doesn't question you, and actively rejects outside influences. Works for sneaker fan clubs, works for OANN, works for crypto. It'll work for the next thing too.

Good thing we all are too smart for that here on the SA forums.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

greazeball posted:

Found this today:

I'm assuming somebody at Bloomberg just threw their hands up into the air when asked and said "It could be $400,000 or it could be $4. Who knows with this poo poo?", which was immediately interpreted as TO THE MOON!!!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nachos posted:

The percentage of retail investors that have touched the poop has also stayed flat over the past year despite all of those crypto.com ads everywhere.

Is there actually concise data on this? Like showing new users vs volume or maybe based on exchange revenue or something?

I looked at onchain data which shows new rubes buying mostly, and early buyers weren't even touching Bitcoin in general. But again this I would assume is trying to read tea leaves and I could be wrong.

I do see tons of retail yoloing into longs as the market goes down which tells me we haven't hit bottom as those are the folks that fuel the drops. But that doesn't quantify if it's new or old or more people getting involved or not.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 29, 2022

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there actually concise data on this? Like showing new users vs volume or maybe based on exchange revenue or something?

I looked at onchain data which shows new rubes buying mostly, and early buyers weren't even touching Bitcoin in general. But again this I would assume is trying to read tea leaves and I could be wrong.

I do see tons of retail yoloing into longs as the market goes down which tells me we haven't hit bottom as those are the folks that fuel the drops. But that doesn't quantify if it's new or old or more people getting involved or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/24/cryptos-massive-marketing-efforts-have-drawn-few-new-investors/

Per surveys the number of Americans who have invested in crypto has stayed flat at 16% from 2021 to 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lets do a little proof:

I'm gonna smear some human feces on your car door handle. Your job is to see how an NFT can clean it off so you can get to your wagecuck job on time this morning. I'll wait.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ChronoBasher posted:

I think we were...sorry I've been anger posting on Twitter today and it's starting to bleed. It would be rare for a POS to not be encrypting at the POI, but could still happen. And depending on the setup/vendor, the merchent may have the decryption keys (non E2EE/P2PE setups). But yeah agree, doubtful it would be sent in clear.

I'm going to stop now and look back at the falling BTC chart to calm myself.

Delete all social media and your life will be better for it. There’s nothing social about it and if you care about things, ~the algorithm~ will weaponize that and make you miserable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Aramis posted:

It's not crypto in spirit that's the problem. It's that the only single way we know how to make it happen is unacceptably loving terrible.

Mind you, crypto is absolutely stupid in spirit as well, but that's not going to convince anyone. The one thing that crypto advocates get right in my opinion is that if a decentralized digital currency existed in our capitalist hellscape, there's little that could be done to prevent its adoption, and it would likely become a de-facto standard sooner or later.

Oh, no, crypto in spirit is entirely the problem. It was originally designed as a grift, as a way to get around paying taxes, and nothing else. All of its "hype" about "banking the unbanked!!!" and whatever came later to sucker more nerds in.

And the thing is that a decentralized crypto currency, even if it had instant transmissions, no huge transfer fees, none of the bugs of bitcoin, was user friendly and didn't attempt to melt Antarctica with every new coin generated... it would still have all of the issues of a decentralized currency with regards to grifts, scams and reversing transactions. If there's no authority that controls the thing and can force, for instance, transactions to reverse, every scam is permanent.

Banks would have to get absurdly rapacious to have me not pick their basic protections over, uh, all of this poo poo, so I don't believe it would ever become "the standard." Its use case would primarily be limited to a minority of folks in areas with no banking network coverage or folks who wanted a higher degree of anonymity(criminals, tax frauds and a small minority of folks who want to shuffle money around without getting shot by an authoritarian state).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I went to the Minnesota State Fair over the weekend, and besides the food, one of the things I always make sure to check out is the crop art, because people who do crop art are way more up to speed on things than you’d expect for people making mosaics out of assorted seeds. Relevant case in point:

(There was also an unironic ape, but I didn’t take a picture of that one because why would I)

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Party Ape posted:

Back in the day (like late 90s) they used leased lines, but now that you just use regular IP over 5G and even the social club at my work has a wireless EFTPOS terminal (I think it's just a mobile phone with a USB gadget) so you can buy cheap drinks at lunch time.

You could buy dedicated VPN concentrators 20 years ago.

POS systems usually connect to a server in the back of the store, which is usually in a room locked that only a couple of people have the key for. That server makes a request to the world wide web.

If there is an internet outage, it will continue to operate, then will reconcile the accounts once the internet comes back on.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

If there is an internet outage, it will continue to operate, then will reconcile the accounts once the internet comes back on.

BRB, cutting the internet to Best Buy so I can buy a home entertainment system with my maxed out credit card

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

uh, i don't think that's true

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My experience with customers with PCI-DSS is that the card reader POS terminal itself encrypts everything, so all traffic across the Internet is fully encrypted to the payment processor. All the merchant gets is a token and 'you got paid $X.XX'.

That was in 2016 and a major national retailer outsourcing to HPE. The *last* thing a merchant wants is to record card data, ffs.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

POS systems usually connect to a server in the back of the store, which is usually in a room locked that only a couple of people have the key for. That server makes a request to the world wide web.

I just came back from a hotel where the POS went down for a few hours at a coffee shop and they could only take cash or charge directly to the room. Also a lot of industry-specific POS are definitely not built with offline capability, you usually have to revert to cash at that point.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

greazeball posted:

Found this today:

:lol::lol::lol:

Just below the quoted bit:

quote:

Bitcoin is valuable thanks to its limited supply steadily increasing demand by a greater number of investors.

Yes, Bitcoin's price is driven by people buying it on the assumption that it will go up as more people buy it (on the assumption it will go up). Congrats on describing a financial bubble without actually using the term "bubble" Megan.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lets do a little proof:

I'm gonna smear some human feces on your car door handle. Your job is to see how an NFT can clean it off so you can get to your wagecuck job on time this morning. I'll wait.

The car NFT on the blockchain is untouched. Checkmate

Edit: Oops I mistyped a key for my wallet and now my NFTs are gone. Enjoy the car

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I assume most places convert to cash if their system is down because while most POS systems can totally still "run" credit cards (by just putting it in the batch and trusting that you would have pre-authed if you could) they don't because the fraud risk is much higher that way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know it's the bitcoin thread, but why are you guys talking about working with pieces of poo poo? It's not really something to celebrate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I know it's the bitcoin thread, but why are you guys talking about working with pieces of poo poo? It's not really something to celebrate.

Everyone including myself when I worked in retail, was a piece of poo poo.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nachos posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/24/cryptos-massive-marketing-efforts-have-drawn-few-new-investors/

Per surveys the number of Americans who have invested in crypto has stayed flat at 16% from 2021 to 2022

Well, that's perfect if not unsurprising. Makes me have some hope for the future.

Also, what's going on with some weird dog eat dog lawsuit poo poo going on with AVAX?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Depends on the POS system but that's pretty much what the one at the place I worked at did.

Manager flipped the "internet is hosed" switch and it just held things in a queue until service was restored.

Accounts didn't reconcile, though. It just shot out a bunch of data to the payment processor so if someone used a Chuck E. Cheese gift card instead of an actual dlcredit/debit well tough poo poo

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Waltzing Along posted:

This got me good because while I know what it’s supposed to mean, I too read it as piece of poo poo every time.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I've been using Square for years and if I don't have an internet connection I can't take cards/NFC payments at all. Which is why I have the password for the wifi next door.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
ok whats more likely, me making a profit on bitcoin or winning a lottery. i dont have bitcoin so I would have to buy, but conversely lottery tickets do have smaller wins

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

ok whats more likely, me making a profit on bitcoin or winning a lottery. i dont have bitcoin so I would have to buy, but conversely lottery tickets do have smaller wins

Solid contender for the bad at math prize.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

This is indeed Bitcoin logic. :golfclap:

I'm disappointed at the lack of "would selling my children for money be better to put into Bitcoin vs the lottery?" But good enough I suppose.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Rust Martialis posted:

My experience with customers with PCI-DSS is that the card reader POS terminal itself encrypts everything, so all traffic across the Internet is fully encrypted to the payment processor. All the merchant gets is a token and 'you got paid $X.XX'.

That was in 2016 and a major national retailer outsourcing to HPE. The *last* thing a merchant wants is to record card data, ffs.

Yeah, the EFTPOS security standard is publicly available: https://www.eftposaustralia.com.au/...wyVgwbmWMfcMzmn

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/PuffYatty/status/1564067599738101760

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

idk, 50+y/o rappers and their bullshit scams don't really excite me these days.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

haljordan posted:

hello as suggested by Strong Sauce here is a Facebook post from a girl who I went to high school with (who is now a stone cold lunatic anti vaxxer living down in Florida)

DSM-6 is going to have a section on crypotcurrency-induced trauma and how to talk coiners off the coin wagon.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Snoop is more famous nowadays for being willing to take money to put his face on absolutely anything that comes to him with a big enough check. Honestly it's the smartest career move he could make.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Snoop is more famous nowadays for being willing to take money to put his face on absolutely anything that comes to him with a big enough check. Honestly it's the smartest career move he could make.

And the NFT conference still had to hire Doop Snogg instead

lol

https://twitter.com/sadvil/status/1539334378324639745

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah it is - even cloud POS systems can handle being offline and reconciling later, it’s basic functionality. Unless you mean the payment units - then yeah no network equals no payment capabilities but they usually can fall back to LTE. POS generally (Square or Toast or Clover being exceptions) aren’t payment processors so the terms are confusing. In the hotel example above the POS probably functioned fine, tracking the order and so forth, it was the payment device that didn’t.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

doooooooooooooOOOP

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah it is - even cloud POS systems can handle being offline and reconciling later, it’s basic functionality. Unless you mean the payment units - then yeah no network equals no payment capabilities but they usually can fall back to LTE. POS generally (Square or Toast or Clover being exceptions) aren’t payment processors so the terms are confusing. In the hotel example above the POS probably functioned fine, tracking the order and so forth, it was the payment device that didn’t.

How does the offline POS detect a credit card that has been deactivated for fraud, before I walk out with a television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Powershift posted:

And the NFT conference still had to hire Doop Snogg instead

lol

https://twitter.com/sadvil/status/1539334378324639745

lol I missed this the first time around

What's my motherfucking name? I'd rather not say