Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Sunk Dunk posted:

hey armchair doctors

i have adhd, depression, anxiety. normal brain.

my therapist and psychiatrist recommended i stopped smoking weed because "it's a depressant" and "it could do more harm than good in the long run"

i haven't smoked in 5 weeks and i feel mostly worse (the first 2 weeks were brutal, but everything is normal now). i thought if i stopped smoking i would suddenly do more with my free time, but i really don't. i just miss chillin out.

am i a bad person if i start again? i was thinking of putting some restrictions on myself to cut down usage, like not doing it during work for starters.

I don’t want to sound unreasonable, but you should kill your doctors and make their skulls into bongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cannabis is a psychedelic, not a depressant

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

Cannabis is a psychedelic, not a depressant

i thought different 'noids did different things. CBD being the depressant and THC being the psychedelic.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

i thought different 'noids did different things. CBD being the depressant and THC being the psychedelic.

Maybe? As far as I know CBD does almost nothing unless it's interacting with THC or other cannabinoids, but I'm not versed in the way each one is classified. Weed as a whole though is definitely not a depressant. From the hip, it speeds up your heart, can cause hallucinations, and makes you like the jazz music. That covers all the categories

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 29, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've definitely had weed that perked me up as much as a strong coffee and others that locked me to the couch

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Best post/name/av combo ever

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Weed doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

From the hip, it speeds up your heart, can cause hallucinations, and makes you like the jazz music. That covers all the categories

can confirm.

First time I tried to play guitar while high I discovered how jazz was invented.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It felt like a lot of missing information suddenly shifts into place when you listen to jazz while high

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Inspector Hound posted:

Maybe? As far as I know CBD does almost nothing unless it's interacting with THC or other cannabinoids

this is bullshit when i took a few months off weed and smoked all cbd no thc weed i could definitely feel it, it gives you a powerful feeling of relaxation you can feel over your whole body without the mental effects. it's just not that repeatable cause you need to take a break after to get that effect again. if you're smoking actual weed all the time yeah it probably won't do much for you

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Pac and Cheese posted:

this is bullshit when i took a few months off weed and smoked all cbd no thc weed i could definitely feel it, it gives you a powerful feeling of relaxation you can feel over your whole body without the mental effects. it's just not that repeatable cause you need to take a break after to get that effect again. if you're smoking actual weed all the time yeah it probably won't do much for you

Well, that certainly explains why I thought it didn't do anything lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

yeah I have 25mg CBD wafers from my doc and an hour after that I definitely know whats up.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
growing my own weed for the first time and i didn't know you can just pull a nug off while it's still growing and smoke it fresh, it's almost a whole different experience, need to make sure i don't ruin the whole batch with my greed

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Inspector Hound posted:

Well, that certainly explains why I thought it didn't do anything lol

lol just take a month t break to test my theory it'll be easy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CBD doesn't do poo poo, sorry I know the truth hurts.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It certainly doesn't get me high, if it's just a muscle relaxer and anti epileptic that's still pretty useful

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I smoke weed every day, I have never taken a t-break, I have dental anxiety and 100mg of straight CBD isolate powder under my tongue chills me out to sit in the chair as well as anything on earth that isn't a benzo. Possibly just by kicking some of the THC off my anxiety receptors, but it works great anyway and I can definitely feel it working

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

CBD doesn't do poo poo, sorry I know the truth hurts.

It makes me bad but I haven't done double blind studies to figure out if it's the CBD or whatever carrier it's in that makes me feel slightly shittier than I did before I took it.

I do know for sure that a 1:1 CBD pen is a useful thing to keep around if you or someone else gets too high, I don't need science for that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I got some CBD weed at home, it stinks to smoke it, and it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. It reminds me of this one time as a kid we smoked chamomile tea (straight rolled it up in rolling paper)...it did nothing whatsoever but tasted kind of nice.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CBD is great for my back pain.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have recently become known as "the chillest guy I know"

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Jestery posted:

think i have to agree, he just does what he does, very unpretentious

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Carth Dookie posted:

CBD is great for my back pain.

Ehhhhhhh.

I have 3 lumbar discs that are pretty much trash, 3 degenerative diseases in my lower back (sacroiliitis, spinal stenosis, degen disc) and sciatica that has made half my right leg numb, for some 17 years now. Thanks Army.

I haven't found CBD to do much. Maybe because it's not all inflammation related (sacroiliitis is), and more nerve problems than anything. Weed in general is a great distraction from it, but it's not doing much beyond that for me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thought of fuctifino last night as I vaped a whole capsule of prescription weed in front of a police officer at a local psychadelic festival and watched CLT DRP play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkGNUoyvGI

LifeSunDeath posted:

I got some CBD weed at home, it stinks to smoke it, and it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. It reminds me of this one time as a kid we smoked chamomile tea (straight rolled it up in rolling paper)...it did nothing whatsoever but tasted kind of nice.

I had some cbd weed before I got my medical, it actually smelled great, I think it was a Wedding Cake strain. I tried it straight, vaped and smoked, and also cut it with what illicit weed I could get to stretch it. When you havent had any 'real' weed for a while it will definitely stick you to the sofa and take the edge off Life, but as soon as you have some actual weed it will probably do gently caress all for you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jestery posted:

*whistles* That's one chill rear end dude right there dayum!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehhhhhhh.

I have 3 lumbar discs that are pretty much trash, 3 degenerative diseases in my lower back (sacroiliitis, spinal stenosis, degen disc) and sciatica that has made half my right leg numb, for some 17 years now. Thanks Army.

I haven't found CBD to do much. Maybe because it's not all inflammation related (sacroiliitis is), and more nerve problems than anything. Weed in general is a great distraction from it, but it's not doing much beyond that for me.

Yeah there's my back pain, and then theres your BACK PAIN.

Not surprised weed doesn't work much for you jfc

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

*whistles* That's one chill rear end dude right there dayum!

🤙

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

hey armchair doctors

i have adhd, depression, anxiety. normal brain.

my therapist and psychiatrist recommended i stopped smoking weed because "it's a depressant" and "it could do more harm than good in the long run"

i haven't smoked in 5 weeks and i feel mostly worse (the first 2 weeks were brutal, but everything is normal now). i thought if i stopped smoking i would suddenly do more with my free time, but i really don't. i just miss chillin out.

am i a bad person if i start again? i was thinking of putting some restrictions on myself to cut down usage, like not doing it during work for starters.

You are not a bad person if you start again my dude! I have adhd/anxiety/bipolar and weed helps me a ton, even with depression. Weed seems to cut back on how harsh I am to myself, which makes it easier to point out that I'm depressed and start making changes to fix that. Before I started smoking, a lot of my depressive cycles would spiral and I'd end up in a more dark place because I wasn't being compassionate to myself. Weed helped my brain be more compassionate to itself and has definitely made my lows less "low"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think a lot of the problem with CBD is that for most things, with a fast ROA, you're still going to want 100-200mg for minor effects, and for oral you'd want 2-3x that and it's not going to be very helpful for a lot of things because it will come on slow like any weed edibles. And most OTC edibles/tinctures are just not strong enough, nor is the cbd weed, to get real effects from the amounts most people end up using. If anyone really wants to put it through its paces I'd say get a gram of cbd isolate powder for $10-15 from a site like phytodabs, eyeball 100-200mg and throw it under your tongue. And still, you're looking for mild effects at best. Definitely less effective than ibuprofen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah there's my back pain, and then theres your BACK PAIN.

Not surprised weed doesn't work much for you jfc

Admittedly, the sacroiliitis is barely detectable and noteworthy anymore. Years ago when I was last in a VA ER and had an MRI, the scans showed little going on with my SI joints. Doc wouldn't agree that weed was probably why, but acknowledged it may play a role. When I dry out, the stiffness and inflammation ratchet way up.

Something like 7% of my unit was diagnosed with sacroiliitis after an Iraq deployment. No one knows why. I suspect brucella. Iraq had a major brucellosis outbreak in the 90s, largely a livestock disease, but camels are carriers too. Spent a week sick as hell, generic troop clinic treatment of Z pack and ibuprofen. A few months later, discs started tearing and herniating.

I should probably go get tested for ankylosing spondylitis. Iirc there are links between it and brucella. Won't bump my disability any higher, but it would be good to know.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SO you're saying to get an effect from CBD I need to take an >LD50 dose, and even then it's like advil...well I would for science that's for sure.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Naproxen is the real poo poo anyhow.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

I think a lot of the problem with CBD is that for most things, with a fast ROA, you're still going to want 100-200mg for minor effects, and for oral you'd want 2-3x that and it's not going to be very helpful for a lot of things because it will come on slow like any weed edibles. And most OTC edibles/tinctures are just not strong enough, nor is the cbd weed, to get real effects from the amounts most people end up using. If anyone really wants to put it through its paces I'd say get a gram of cbd isolate powder for $10-15 from a site like phytodabs, eyeball 100-200mg and throw it under your tongue. And still, you're looking for mild effects at best. Definitely less effective than ibuprofen.

I take like 50-100mg of a CBD tincture and that poo poo seems to work pretty well for me??? But yeah I don't trust much of what I read right now because the science is still being scienced. My whole argument is that there's no harm in giving it a shot as long as you're buying from a tested, trusted source.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Naproxen is the real poo poo anyhow.

It's good but gently caress that poo poo for the long term, even worse than ibuprofen. Part of getting my medical weed was because I was using ibuprofen before, during and after poo poo like a wedding or a big day out. I had the option of naproxen the whole time but any drug where you have to take another drug to try and stop it loving up your guts is a step too far for me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I've gotten injured a bunch over the last decade and ngl, weed doesn't help with pain for me, but it does make my life considerably more tolerable. Ultimately I only need weed at night because I can't let myself go to bed without anxiety unless I have SOMETHING, and weed is MY DRUG, and I can do without all the other things if I have it. But drat if I don't have weed, I get up to some poo poo trying to get to bed. I've taken some heroic doses of various herbs and supplements, and OTC drugs and then some harder poo poo when I've had it...it all sucks, and weed is amazing, and really it's the only drug humanity needs for generalized shittiness.

Also, since the beginning of pandemic I quit drinking and went back to weed after about a year off (cause I wanted to finally act professional but became an alchy instead), it's been years now totally alcohol free!

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 29, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i broke my arm and weed has been helping but i'm still using the big ol' 800mg ibuprofens too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bombing 1:1 CBD:THC tincture after getting 5 teeth extracted was a pro-level move and made recovery infinitely more tolerable. Absolutely helped with the inflammation alongside ibuprofen, idk if it lessened the pain but it made it less noticeable

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's good but gently caress that poo poo for the long term, even worse than ibuprofen. Part of getting my medical weed was because I was using ibuprofen before, during and after poo poo like a wedding or a big day out. I had the option of naproxen the whole time but any drug where you have to take another drug to try and stop it loving up your guts is a step too far for me.

Naproxen has been okay for me. NSAIDs don't seem to effect my GI. The otc 220mg tend to squash most of my inflammation problems, but I have prescribed 500mg laying around somewhere.

Now neurontin/gabapentin, that's the devil to me. Really hosed up my light sensitivity that I still deal with 16 years later.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Naproxen is great for me, too (but I don’t take it every day). Ibuprofen messes my stomach up immediately though while providing little relief. My doctor says it’s the opposite for him. Go figure.

More on topic, personally I’ve been finding lately that mixing CBD and THC is the Way To Go, whether it’s flower, tincture, or edibles. I’m usually focused more on the pain relief than the getting high part though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

More on topic, personally I’ve been finding lately that mixing CBD and THC is the Way To Go, whether it’s flower, tincture, or edibles. I’m usually focused more on the pain relief than the getting high part though.
I agree--I have tins of one THC-only edible and one from the same brand that's the same dosage but adds in CBD for a 1:1 mix, and the latter is unquestionably a better experience every time. I nanodose, so there's probably not much pain relief happening (or getting high, honestly), but even at my tiny doses, the 1:1 is the way to go.