Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Geordie or Glaswegian could maybe work for an evil faction.

*eve of the battle, both armies camped*
Orc slave: "Hear that boss? They've got war drums."
Chaos Dwarf: "The thieving bastards!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

KittyEmpress posted:

What do we think DLCs are going to look like post chaos dwarves?

Chaos dwarves, obv

Tod and Norsca duo lord pack for the Norscan rework + Ulfric empire

Nippon and Ind are a shoe in.

Cathay will get a bunch of lord packs, but I don't see there being a lot of room left in Kislev for a fourth. Boris already stole the chaos wastes reclaimer bit, too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, they man the Hellcannons-why not zoom in and hear what they sound like?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Tagaziel posted:

This might sound weird, but can I use everyone's posts as reference for posting strategies on the wiki? With the overwhelming learning curve this game has, they might make a world of difference for people who don't treat Altdorf like their second home.

By all means, I think all of us babble here because we like to help and want to be heard. It can be a hard game to get into, it took me ten hours of messing around and dying horribly to learn WH2 which was also my first Total War game and I insisted on doing it as Queek because I thought he was the coolest guy in the base vanilla roster.

Tooting my own horn but I'd be happy to write up some summaries of my strategies too. I've also been saving extra replays recently because this thread gets hit by "minor settlements are impossible my guys blob into the enemy and towers shoot me" every few days. When I get a clean even or disadvantaged win I save the replay and I've gotten quite a few this week because AR hates most of the Skaven roster.

I also wrote a nice bloated summary of Very Hard Campaign WH2 diplomacy strategy that could do with a touch up for WH3. It is largely the same ideas but your tools for executing it are a lot better with the diplomacy touchups.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tagaziel posted:

This might sound weird, but can I use everyone's posts as reference for posting strategies on the wiki? With the overwhelming learning curve this game has, they might make a world of difference for people who don't treat Altdorf like their second home.

The warhammer wiki? Go nuts.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gamerofthegame posted:

What makes you say that?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

What are good legendary lords to pack up your poo poo and go to another continent with? The vampirates and lokhir seem like they would be too easy to do this with. I’ve seen kathep mentioned but atm i’m in the middle of a settra game already.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nippon and Ind and Khuresh were included in the new collective agreement with the Streamers Union

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DaysBefore posted:

Nippon and Ind and Khuresh were included in the new collective agreement with the Streamers Union

I'm 99% sure I remember reading CA saying they had no plans to include any new races beyond Cathay and Kislev, so I just struggle to understand why so many seem to think it's all but guaranteed. It's one thing to do Chorfs, since they already exist and the army books can be mined, but creating a whole new faction out of whole cloth seems like substantially more work.

I'm happy to be wrong, but in all seriousness, has there been anything to suggest that this is even on the table?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm happy to be wrong, but in all seriousness, has there been anything to suggest that this is even on the table?
The giant impassable and unused terrain chunks in Immortal Empires where Ind and Khuresh are, are the biggest indicators to me. Couple that with TWW1 adding 4 factions entirely with DLC, TWW2 adding...2? 3? and enough dlc lords to essentially make a faction or two out of all the additions, and there's more than enough room on the map and in TWW3's white space of design for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Doomykins posted:

Tooting my own horn but I'd be happy to write up some summaries of my strategies too. I've also been saving extra replays recently because this thread gets hit by "minor settlements are impossible my guys blob into the enemy and towers shoot me" every few days. When I get a clean even or disadvantaged win I save the replay and I've gotten quite a few this week because AR hates most of the Skaven roster.
Personally yeah I'd really like to see this because I'm realising any 'skill' I had back in WH2 was relying on Dwarves' natural good-for-beginners abilities and now that I'm trying other races that don't have rock-solid infantry or are not traditional frontline-and-flanking armies I'm getting my rear end kicked even on Normal, even to the extend of losing fights the AR would win.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm 99% sure I remember reading CA saying they had no plans to include any new races beyond Cathay and Kislev, so I just struggle to understand why so many seem to think it's all but guaranteed. It's one thing to do Chorfs, since they already exist and the army books can be mined, but creating a whole new faction out of whole cloth seems like substantially more work.

I agree but at the same time we are in a post-Cathay world, something most people never believed in, so I don't blame anyone for keeping the Snakemen dream alive

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
the souls spent requirement to unlock higher tier gifts of chaos feels too drat high, especially for undivided factions where you might want to mix and match

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The giant impassable and unused terrain chunks in Immortal Empires where Ind and Khuresh are, are the biggest indicators to me. Couple that with TWW1 adding 4 factions entirely with DLC, TWW2 adding...2? 3? and enough dlc lords to essentially make a faction or two out of all the additions, and there's more than enough room on the map and in TWW3's white space of design for it.

Also any fantasy follow up CA do is going to have a massive uphill battle to compete with the absolute juggernaut of content that is Immortal Empires, so I can see them trying to drag out the dlc for this game for as long as possible.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Chaos dwarves, obv

Cathay will get a bunch of lord packs, but I don't see there being a lot of room left in Kislev for a fourth. Boris already stole the chaos wastes reclaimer bit, too.

Chorfs, yes, and *something* Norsca, yes . Toddy (and the Red Duke) are guaranteed, with it without accompanying units.

Ind is IMO more likely than not, but it’ll be years down the line. Nippon is doubtful at best, Khuresh is more likely although still far from guaranteed; that said, none of the three are happening until after Chorfs and Dogs of War. It’s years from now, not months.

Kislev will get at least two more lords (the Baba Yaga, and the golden knight), although neither of them are likely to end up in Kislev itself. i’m sure nobody will be that mad if they end up somewhere… less than loreful, so long as it’s fun. I would not be surprised to see another entrant to Lustria’s Colonizer Row.

Cathay has four basically guaranteed LL’s in the Monkey Ling and the remaining dragon siblings. Both Cathay and Kislev will see 6-12 more units too, although at this point nobody really knows what those might look like.

Other obvious stuff is a few more units/LL’s for Empire, Dwarves and Vampire Counts but others have already mentioned those. Neferata and Nagash too, possibly as a new faction (but almost certainly not with a brand new roster, we’d be looking at another Demons of Chaos type hybrid combined with unique mechanics). Thanquol. Probably one more High Elf, potentially with new units. At least one more LL for each of the monogod factions, hopefully with new units (who knows what those units would be though).

Captain Oblivious posted:

The devs have repeatedly and in the strongest possible terms told us Ind and Khuresh aren’t happening. Please don’t get your hopes up or those of other people.

That’s not quite what they’ve said. They’ve emphasized that the *priority* is 8th edition stuff first, and that there’s no current work on Ind/Khuresh… but also never say never. Personally, I’m positive that *something* will fill the hole in IE. Whether that’s a fully new race or two, or filler lords from existing races, or empty ruins, or some kind of limited roster minor nation… that I’m less sure about.

Hell, just from what game 3 already released we know that CA is lying a bit when they say 8th edition comes first; it’s arguable on whether *any* of the base roster factions were in 8th edition!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, Nippon and Ind etc weren't hard vetoed, it was just "we aren't explicitly doing it right now." They're still obvious empty spots on the map and after Chorves there isn't exactly anything else to sell thirty dollar DLC with.

For them to not happen CA would have to not want to milk the last game of their big deal super popular trilogy, which... capitalism, c'mon.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

SLAMBO mod just went up

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2855822338

Game finally good

Edit: the extremely dumb WWI mod has finally convinced me that Total War 40k will totally own so hopefully they do that next

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 29, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd say Kuresh is more likely than Nippon if only because Nippon ain't on the map.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah, Nippon and Ind etc weren't hard vetoed, it was just "we aren't explicitly doing it right now." They're still obvious empty spots on the map and after Chorves there isn't exactly anything else to sell thirty dollar DLC with.

For them to not happen CA would have to not want to milk the last game of their big deal super popular trilogy, which... capitalism, c'mon.

it wouldn't surprise me that much if CA showed that empty spot on the map to GW and asked them can they eventually put something there, whether it be Ind and/or Khuresh stuff or LLs for established races mucking around. they probably need GW's approval for whatever they do there

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I know the intro art for the new chaos lords is supposed to be them all about to fight but something about their facial expressions makes it look like they're all mates who've just met up to go to a party.

also vilitch reminds me of Roger from American Dad.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

To my limited understanding Warhammer Fantasy: Old World plans on adding in stuff over there other then Cathay, although technically that's the distant past in regards to this game

I think

Whorelord posted:

I know the intro art for the new chaos lords is supposed to be them all about to fight but something about their facial expressions makes it look like they're all mates who've just met up to go to a party.

they're chaos lords this is also true

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, if anything, any thought or release would want, even HAVE to be something that they'd want to have models and rules and so on ready for, surely? Total War Warhammer is big to pushing Warhammer itself. Something like Ind would be different to even something like the Coast, where it's something that had existed.

If they get put in, I'd expect the game and any models/rules to come together, or not at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
GW have announced no plans for anything in Ind/Nippon/Khuresh yet, and I'd expect that given the big glow-ups of Cathay and Kislev for Old World, if they wanted those factions to exist they themselves would be creating them rather than letting CA cobble something together out of old lore snippets like Norsca or a smattering of lore and white dwarf army list snippets like Coast.

I expect this game to have a tail of at least half a decade(based on TWW2 as a blueprint), so it's absolutely possible that a couple years down the line GW will want to make a move in that area and use TWW as a promotional tool like they are with Kislev/Cathay, but for now I think that those places are pretty much off limits and for the next year or two minimum we're going to be looking at them adding chorfs, likely dogs of war/southern realms(pretty much the last actually fleshed out unincluded faction that already exists in the setting after chorfs), and a bunch of lord vs lord expansion packs for old races.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kanos posted:

GW have announced no plans for anything in Ind/Nippon/Khuresh yet, and I'd expect that given the big glow-ups of Cathay and Kislev for Old World, if they wanted those factions to exist they themselves would be creating them rather than letting CA cobble something together out of old lore snippets like Norsca or a smattering of lore and white dwarf army list snippets like Coast.

I expect this game to have a tail of at least half a decade(based on TWW2 as a blueprint), so it's absolutely possible that a couple years down the line GW will want to make a move in that area and use TWW as a promotional tool like they are with Kislev/Cathay, but for now I think that those places are pretty much off limits and for the next year or two minimum we're going to be looking at them adding chorfs, likely dogs of war/southern realms(pretty much the last actually fleshed out unincluded faction that already exists in the setting after chorfs), and a bunch of lord vs lord expansion packs for old races.

If they're going to add something there I expect it'll be a lord pack. Maybe a beastmen lord and a Cathay lord down there. Maybe the beastmen guy could have actual settlements, like a reverse Nakai. I wouldn't expect any full new races though

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Chaos dwarves, obv

Chaos Dwarfs.

Todbringer and Norsca, maybe with Elspeth as FLC.

Not Nippon nor Ind; they have been pretty clear on that so far, even with them on the map.

Cathay gets two lord packs, one Sea Dragon paired with...something and then either the southern dragon paired with the Monkey King or the Monkey King as variant Cathay paired with the Changeling.

I think you are right that we only get one Kislev DLC lord. That brings them to 4 and the main thing they have hinted at/hole in their roster is Mother Ostankya and maybe some more Ungol units or heroes. And from before their update, Hags are an obvious hero or lord choice. Not sure who that gets paired with, presumably another Daemon.

If Elspeth isn't FLC, she gets paired with Tamurkhan.

Neferata and Nagash make it in, either as opposing forces in the same pack or each as their own pack. I think Thanquol is a FLC lord or hero available for all skaven factions a la Ariel.

Last long shot is a Dogs of War/combo Southern Realms grab bag faction pack where a few Ind/Khuresh/Araby mercenary units make it in If they really want.

I think overall we will see an addition Daemon heading up a new Daemon of Chaos faction for each God. I think WoC are covered, though van Horstman could be an interesting case that i would like to see where he ends up. Could go anywhere, but i like the idea of him being a mixed Empire/WoC/DoC faftion like Arkhan. Tamurkhan, the Changeling, maybe van Horstmann, and a Khorne lord I don't know all show up. Older races that aren't Empire or Dwarfs don't get too much, I don't think. And I don't think the Dwarfs get a DLC, I think they get their additions in a FLC/rework paired with the Chorfs.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Stuff CA has actually talked and confirmed about being planned for the future of WH3:

More Cathay
More Kislev
More Ogres my lord
Nagash
Thanquol
Chaos Dwarfs
Hobgoblins
Reworks for old factions

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Pierson posted:

Personally yeah I'd really like to see this because I'm realising any 'skill' I had back in WH2 was relying on Dwarves' natural good-for-beginners abilities and now that I'm trying other races that don't have rock-solid infantry or are not traditional frontline-and-flanking armies I'm getting my rear end kicked even on Normal, even to the extend of losing fights the AR would win.

I'll review the replays, write some summaries and provide a link sometime. I got some good ones like beating Greenskins and Zhao with under par stacks, and using Tretch's muscle to outgrind Ghorst in a big minor settlement maze map.

DaysBefore posted:

Edit: the extremely dumb WWI mod has finally convinced me that Total War 40k will totally own so hopefully they do that next

My favorite part of the "40K can't go into Total War" debate is the against side pretending that the majority of TWWH meta isn't developing a primarily ranged army and using magical instant teleport summons to put units anywhere.

In my mind I see a heavily modded Dawn of War approach with a bit more emphasis on the power of melee/flankers/cav.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I still think we won't get full Ind / Kuresh as separate factions.

Rather we get them in a dogs of war faction pack as a catch all for those various locals that aren't really big enough for a full pack like estalia Ind and Kuresh - the units of which are broken out into three groups. The basic infantry amounts to like standard swords / spears / free company and its shared but with unique visual styling. Next part would be subfaction specific, so you get like elephant cav as Ind or special canons as estalia. Last part would be based on where you're fighting, give the players the chaos warband style recruitment that let's you recruit local troops based on where you are and who's paying you. For example if you're campaigning for Cathay you might get a small chance to recruit a sky junk every few turns with a medium to high chance of pulling iron hail gunners. If you're campaigning in norsca you get a chance at the various marauder variations since the non-corrupted variants were known to work in mercenary trades in the south.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 29, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Doomykins posted:

I'll review the replays, write some summaries and provide a link sometime. I got some good ones like beating Greenskins and Zhao with under par stacks, and using Tretch's muscle to outgrind Ghorst in a big minor settlement maze map.

My favorite part of the "40K can't go into Total War" debate is the against side pretending that the majority of TWWH meta isn't developing a primarily ranged army and using magical instant teleport summons to put units anywhere.

In my mind I see a heavily modded Dawn of War approach with a bit more emphasis on the power of melee/flankers/cav.

I'm not going to say total war 40k wouldn't work. What I will say is that if 40k is getting a real time strategy game, I'd rather it be too the scale of Wargame Red Dragon or the like.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Create a conflict on one world like Dark Crusade and then just take the first Dawn of War and scale it a bit differently and voilá, you've got total war 40K

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

We've also had the landmasses for Araby and the Amazons for like 6 years. The most likely scenario for Ind and Khuresh is that the landmasses will be made accessible and just populated with a mix of Chaos, beastmen, skaven, dark elves, orcs, and High Elven colonies, + maybe some Cathayan expeditions and maybe some dwarfs/chorfs in the mountains.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I just want snakemen (legally distinct from lizardmen) :/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I just want snakemen (legally distinct from lizardmen) :/

I'd rather have Tigermen. (and they actually have a village on the current map)

Tigermen would be also more interesting because they aren't inherently evil. They are the only neutral-ish beastmen faction. They will protect human villages in exchange for tribute. They are sort of like the wood elves in terms of alignment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Snakes and tigers, historic allies.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
They did a great job with Cathay, but somehow I just can't see CA/GW deciding that the embarrassingly caricatured / lazily named and conceived Arabic faction was best left in the margins, and then pivoting to "Nippon, though? We've gotta get Nippon in the game."

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'Cathay' itself is just an old name for China iirc so not exactly GW flexing it's creative muscles

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Exactly, it would be like calling Araby "Saracens" or Japan as "Zipang" or something along those lines. Cathay is just the European medieval word for China.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
No way in hell we’re getting Ind and Khuresh unless they’ve been blatantly lying to us. I have no experience with the subject, but I’m pretty sure a project on the level of a new race takes years to go from conception to implementation, especially when you have to have GW make the army themselves before you start working on it, and they’ve said they’re not currently working on it.

Ind and Khuresh were out the window when they left them off RoC. They aren’t going to do anything too crazy and unique for the IE map that requires you to own two other whole games. I doubt we’ll see Ind and Khuresh filled out for a while. Even if they’re inhabited by colonists and monster squatters, GW still has to make maps and lore for the places they’re squatting in.

If we want to use loading screen lore blurbs added after the update as tea leaves for new factions, I’ve seen a few new references to the Monkey King, a lot of new references to Yuan Bo the Jade Dragon, a few quotes from Mordrek the Damned, and a quote about Arbaal the Undefeated. Yuan Bo’s territory is on the RoC map, unlike his siblings and the Monkey King, but I think we want someone who can have an unusual starting position outside of Cathay. Arbaal is boring, Mordrek less so but still kind of a generic Undivided guy, and I don’t think we’ll see any new mortal WoCs for a while.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 29, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd want Araby to be less Aladdin and more Saladin (but, like, on a dragon or whatever) anyway because it'd be cooler and less, uh, questionable imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
How do I find who's currently holding the Sword of Khaine? I think there used to be a dedicated button for it in the bottom right but that's gone now