Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FMguru posted:

I mean, check out this diagram which encapsulates the core argument of his 600 page magnum opus:

I don't even know how to debunk Jordan Peterson because he just gets more bizarre and detached from reality the deeper you go. I've tried listening to more of his stuff just to figure out what he's talking about and I can't loving do it.

All I've been able to figure out is that half of his schtick is some "argumentum ad gulag" thing where basically any vaguely progressive-sounding thing may seem harmless NOW but everyone knows where Marxism leads in the end! ... which is just blatantly reductive and hyperbolic. It feels like one of those Mad TV bits where some character just keeps saying the same gimmick phrase over and over again.

The other half is this quasi-religious Jungian Time Cube nonsense. How do you "debunk" that? Where do you even start with someone that looks at that diagram, then looks at you, and says "show me the part where this doesn't make sense?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OneEightHundred posted:

The other half is this quasi-religious Jungian Time Cube nonsense. How do you "debunk" that? Where do you even start with someone that looks at that diagram, then looks at you, and says "show me the part where this doesn't make sense?"

For me it's that Prima Materia poo poo. I tried equipping that and all it did was invoke Poison on me and make me fall asleep for the rest of the game.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You just vaguely point at the entire disgram and say 'that part, all of those parts.'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyFjord posted:

You just vaguely point at the entire disgram and say 'that part, all of those parts.'

"No no, I never said that... You don't have the whole context"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Weatherman posted:

For me it's that Prima Materia poo poo. I tried equipping that and all it did was invoke Poison on me and make me fall asleep for the rest of the game.

Nah man, you gotta equip it to a party member and win 255 fights with it equipped, then it turns into the Holy Shield.

I mean, that's actually just how you purify the cursed shield in FFVI, but it's better life advice than anything Jorp has said.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tesseraction posted:

If you want the shortest possible video, here's Jim Jeffries murdering him in 42 seconds https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1331505661817937921

Honestly, I think this is an example of Peterson at his best and most reasonable. He starts out with a dumb idea, carefully considers a logical argument against it, then reconsiders.

I think a lot of the problems in Peterson's life are because he doesn't have someone telling him that he's being an idiot when he has a bad idea. Being propped up as the world's smartest genius man has got to be the fastest route to coming up with some really dogshit ideas.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Honestly, I think this is an example of Peterson at his best and most reasonable.
Yes, Peterson at his best clearly showcases how he doesn't consider what the gently caress he's saying.

"Oh... Uh... Maybe that was wrong.... Maybe, or something"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jordan Peterson is the guy who went crying to his youtube channel after he got banned from twitter, right?

The "up yours woke moralists" guy?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

among other extemely dumb 'what an idiot thinks a smart person sounds like' takes, yeah

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Peterson has faced criticisms of his beliefs or reasoning multiple times, and every time he either deflects with a "nevertheless", whatabouts, or just straight up gets defensive and continues on.

Actually trying to disprove his bullshit to his face is meaningless. All you can do is show his audience how full of poo poo he is, like the Zizek debate.

For example, his crusade against bill C-16 was meaningless for the simple fact that not only did the proposed bill not do what he said it was going to do, but a similar law already existed at the provincial level for a few years and it didn't seem to affect him at all. I will shout that fact from the rooftops every time he's brought up because holy poo poo did the media ever signalboost him for something that was easily false under the guise of "free speech". And I am 100% sure that this was brought up to him, but he didn't give a gently caress.

Also, we don't have full freedom of speech in Canada. Like, constitutionally, the government can abridge an individual's right to freedom of speech under reasonable circumstances for the purpose of maintaining a "free and democratic society".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't sleep on that twitter thread.

I think my favourite is where he gets bodied by Joe Rogan of all people.

I mean when JR is 'That doesn't make sense' and is poking holes in your arguments. You've hosed up.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Jordan Peterson is the guy who went crying to his youtube channel after he got banned from twitter, right?

The "up yours woke moralists" guy?

There's rational, logical deconstructions of Jordan Peterson.

There's quippy "what's new isn't good, and what's good isn't new" insults.

And then there's editing him into Command and Conquer videos to highlight how absurd he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nvckip7qxk

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://youtu.be/uWXxlYzBCno

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Honestly, I think this is an example of Peterson at his best and most reasonable. He starts out with a dumb idea, carefully considers a logical argument against it, then reconsiders.

Except for the part where we have the benefit of hindsight after several years and know that he never took that argument to heart. He is still just as anti-LGBT and I'd argue even moreso now than he was back then. What happened is that he realized it sounded bad in the moment for him to be against the civil rights movement on those same principles because that's too racist for his little "what do words even mean??" game of denial, instantly rolled over onto his back because he wasn't in control of the interview, and the very instant that he walked out of that room, he went right back to whining about how it's literal tyranny to force people to bake a cake for gay people or use their preferred pronouns.

He didn't reconsider; he just played dead.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
He's not even a good spokesperson for that, he's just the first person some people seeking an "intellectual" latched on to, but it's like:

Jorps: "Preferred pronouns are bad."

Someone: "Could you elaborate a bit on why they're bad?"

Jorps: "Because it's a Neo-Marxist idea. GULAGS!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Generic American posted:

Except for the part where we have the benefit of hindsight after several years and know that he never took that argument to heart.

You're correct, but that video on its own is a good demonstration of someone engaging in an honest discussion and (apparently) revising their beliefs after hearing a persuasive argument.

I don't like presenting this as Peterson looking stupid or getting owned, because that's the same stupid framing they use for all the dumb Ben Shapiro stuff. It accepts the framing of "Smart people are never wrong and always win every argument."

If we compare that to other videos, the ones where he dismisses arguments, uncharitably misinterprets questions, gets hung up on the specific meaning of individual words, etc., Those are cases where Peterson is "owning students" but we should focus on why they make Peterson a stupider person who's less able to identify problems with his own ideas.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

These are so great.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Deptfordx posted:

Don't sleep on that twitter thread.

I think my favourite is where he gets bodied by Joe Rogan of all people.

I mean when JR is 'That doesn't make sense' and is poking holes in your arguments. You've hosed up.

Yeah, the Most Credulous Person In The World is being like "wait a second holdup".

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 29, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mojo1701a posted:

Peterson has faced criticisms of his beliefs or reasoning multiple times, and every time he either deflects with a "nevertheless", whatabouts, or just straight up gets defensive and continues on.

Actually trying to disprove his bullshit to his face is meaningless. All you can do is show his audience how full of poo poo he is, like the Zizek debate.

For example, his crusade against bill C-16 was meaningless for the simple fact that not only did the proposed bill not do what he said it was going to do, but a similar law already existed at the provincial level for a few years and it didn't seem to affect him at all. I will shout that fact from the rooftops every time he's brought up because holy poo poo did the media ever signalboost him for something that was easily false under the guise of "free speech". And I am 100% sure that this was brought up to him, but he didn't give a gently caress.

Also, we don't have full freedom of speech in Canada. Like, constitutionally, the government can abridge an individual's right to freedom of speech under reasonable circumstances for the purpose of maintaining a "free and democratic society".

Doesn't he also do the Ben Shapiro thing where he just rants a bunch word salad for 14 minutes straight and then dares his debate opponent to pick it apart in ways that you almost have to start from the beginning and tear it down piece by piece but it's almost impossible because of the sheer volume of half truths, lies and unsourced assertions that wind up with teh other guy looking like an idiot because they simply don't know where to start with this poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Doesn't he also do the Ben Shapiro thing where he just rants a bunch word salad for 14 minutes straight and then dares his debate opponent to pick it apart in ways that you almost have to start from the beginning and tear it down piece by piece but it's almost impossible because of the sheer volume of half truths, lies and unsourced assertions that wind up with teh other guy looking like an idiot because they simply don't know where to start with this poo poo.

Yeah that's called a gish gallop. Just say a bunch of bullshit at a high rate and with confidence.

It's why verbal debates are not good measures of who is right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^I thought a Gish Gallop was like when you do a poll, word the question dishonestly and then only offer answers that support the intended outcome^^^?

Like:

What are your thoughts on Joe Biden
A) Too liberal
B) Too old
C) Didn't win the election
D) Believes in big government

Or is that a push poll?

And...

Whatever dickhead is on my local WGOP station this evening at 6pm actually had the audacity to say that YouTube is notorious for censoring and shutting down right wing content and I almost drove off the loving road. If YT is scrubbing horrible RW bullshit from there site than something is really wrong with my feed and recommendations algorithm. I never listen to any of that garbage and also never never track my history but I can go from watching Prince concerts and Simpsons clips to a whole slew of talk radio bullshit with astonishing speed.

I'll fall asleep listening to Mitch Hedberg and wake up with some Hannity or Rogan trash locked and loaded or some weird rando posting videos about Soros or how bad trans people are. There is ZERO reason for Tucker Carlson to ever show up in my suggestions so if YT is silencing GOP conservatives, they're really sucking at it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"Up yours, woke moralists!" just cracks me up every time I think about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're correct, but
That's an entirely inane line of thought because we all know he didn't reexamine poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nah BB Gish Gallop is just that tactic of dropping way too many lies and non-sequiturs too quickly for your adversary to field. While they are still unpacking what all the gently caress is wrong with your first premise there are four more piling on tops that are just as ridiculous and inexplicable.
The intention is to leave you gasping and as far as I know the only counter is to pick a small amount of information you really want to get out, and just hammer that over and over; because good look getting any message out through that kinda of poo poo screen.

The guy who it is named after is called Gish.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're correct, but that video on its own is a good demonstration of someone engaging in an honest discussion and (apparently) revising their beliefs after hearing a persuasive argument.

Literally all you need to do is play that clip, and then juxtapose it against him getting temporarily banned from Twitter this year because he literally couldn't shut the gently caress up about the hypothetical situation of him personally having to use the correct pronouns for Elliot Page. Then he deleted the tweet, was allowed back on Twitter, and immediately posted a picture of that tweet again.

Like, that clip doesn't exist in some weird vacuum where you aren't allowed to look at how it exists in the broader context of what he says outside of that single interview. Someone debated him, pointed out a basic contradiction that he couldn't address, and he went right back to his bullshit without a second thought because he doesn't actually care about anything beyond his gut feeling that evil Marxists are using gay people as a Trojan horse to destroy traditional values.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see how any interpretation of that clip with the comedian makes Peterson look good.

Either he was sincere, meaning he was attacking people's civil rights for years without thinking through the most obvious consequences of his ideas. And he's a doctor, not some freshman polisci student. How can you take him seriously if he doesn't scrutinize his own ideas.

Or he had thought about that, and just didn't care, figured nobody would press him too hard, and got tripped up in an interview and quickly decided to lie rather than gently caress up his image by defending Jim Crow.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see how any interpretation of that clip with the comedian makes Peterson look good.

Either he was sincere, meaning he was attacking people's civil rights for years without thinking through the most obvious consequences of his ideas. And he's a doctor, not some freshman polisci student. How can you take him seriously if he doesn't scrutinize his own ideas.

Or he had thought about that, and just didn't care, figured nobody would press him too hard, and got tripped up in an interview and quickly decided to lie rather than gently caress up his image by defending Jim Crow.

It's this.

If he honestly reconsidered his ideas it would be good, but he didnt and that wasnt it. It was just him getting owned.

You dont have to hand it to him.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to be a little more clear about my point here. If we're talking to someone who already has a generally good impression of Peterson or other Right Wing media, I don't think it's constructive to try to take him down by showing a case where he was forced to confront a contradiction and concluded that he might have made a mistake, and then call it out as a huge failure by Peterson.

The goal is to get the person to realize they've made an embarrassing mistake by buying into Peterson, so lay a foundation of "It's really admirable when someone has a dumb idea and changes it rather than deflecting or dismissing it or just rambling off a million other points."

The idea is to change what their perception of "smart guy" actually is. Is it a guy who always wins every argument, who never lets anyone get a word in edgewise, who just talks and talks and talks as fast as they can without ever really examining any ideas in depth? Or is it someone who can slow down a little, think things through, makes sure their ideas are internally consistent, and thinks about what they're really saying?

A lot of people only know the Gish Gallop. They think that's how it's supposed to work. You've gotta get them to recognize how it works and how it's used to keep people from recognizing that they're just peddling flim-flam.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, the Most Credulous Person In The World is being like "wait a second holdup".
Knowledge Fight episodes #703 and #704 cover Alex Jones' broadcast on 9/11. Not only was Joe Rogan on that broadcast, he was actually calling bullshit back then.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to be a little more clear about my point here. If we're talking to someone who already has a generally good impression of Peterson or other Right Wing media, I don't think it's constructive to try to take him down by showing a case where he was forced to confront a contradiction and concluded that he might have made a mistake, and then call it out as a huge failure by Peterson.
But that isn't the failure. It is the fact that he is clearly arguing in bad faith when someone walked him through that simple contradiction in the most non-threatening way possible, and he mentally rejects it. He didn't disagree with it in the moment; he actively and consciously chooses to ignore that information every single day since that interview because it is inconvenient for him and he can't think of some catchy rebuttal which allows him to thread that needle between civil rights being good (because saying otherwise out loud would be too risky for him) and LGBT rights being bad.

If you are specifically looking for a single clip that you can just play for someone without any sort of commentary or context to completely change their opinion of him, then I don't think you will have much luck. There is no silver bullet moment where someone owns him so hard that he bursts into flames and starts speaking in tongues.

Just play that clip and say "that is him lying, because he still throws a tantrum whenever he thinks about gay people forcing someone to bake a cake for them or a transgender person somewhere in the world dares to have preferred pronouns." It won't magically cure a Peterson fan, but it's a solid starting point to establish that he is an intellectual coward who just wants to reinforce what he already believes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Generic American posted:

Just play that clip and say "that is him lying, because he still throws a tantrum whenever he thinks about gay people forcing someone to bake a cake for them or a transgender person somewhere in the world dares to have preferred pronouns." It won't magically cure a Peterson fan, but it's a solid starting point to establish that he is an intellectual coward who just wants to reinforce what he already believes.

I think you're right that it's important to show how that interaction doesn't stick. It reinforces the point that he's not being logical, he's not a reasonable person. He just says what feels right and never actually thinks through the implications of what he's saying.

The reason he does that is if he did slow down, the whole thing would fall apart, it's not a coherent worldview.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That video and the thread are just moments of him being humiliated by simple questions, which is why I said it's the shortest possible example, I definitely think the Some More News video is a better takedown of his overall thought process and even takes a very sympathetic note of how Peterson is clearly not mentally well.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"You virtue signaling wokescolds are just making up words1 and thinking therapy is always the solution, the man's a doctor of psychology, what degrees do you have??"

1: my personal favorite Shapiro moment

cats
May 11, 2009
Anyone here ever listen to Jeff Kuhner out of Boston? I stumbled on his show when I lived there and even though I moved away 6+ years ago, I still check in occasionally because he is just an absolutely unhinged scumbag.

Anyway, I was just tuning in and caught a fascinating moment when a caller came so, so close to having a lightbulb moment before this guy pulled him back under. It was an incredible example of the right wing echo chamber brainwashing in action. Here's a very rough paraphrase:

Caller: (talking about about the "stolen" election) My daughter talked to me about it, and I started thinking, and I just don't understand how they could steal it... how can we be so stupid and the democrats be so smart/evil... you keep saying that AZ/WI/PA don't add up, but she showed me how the votes do add up... and none of the investigations found evidence of fraud....(he was kind of stammering and you could tell his brain was just grinding to a halt) I just don't get it, are the democrats having clandestine communications or something?... it's gotta be more simple than that... (after a long pause) ...I don't think the election was stolen...

Kuhner: no no no, the election was definitely stolen, the votes don't match, and there's lots of evidence, (starts throwing out random percentages) you see, we never got our day in court because the Supreme Court never actually heard the case, they ruled it on standing, so there's actually mountains of evidence that we never got to present! Go watch 2000 Mules, have your daughter watch it too, I think she'll enjoy it!
(hangs up, cuts to commercial break)

I know it's hardly a surprise to anyone in this thread, but seeing the "just keep repeating the same nonsense talking points over and over and over, and when you run out, change the subject" unfold in real time was... sad, really. The caller's daughter must be a saint. He was so, so close to getting it....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah God's patience on that daughter to have got him climbing back from the ledge. I hope that he spends more time in her company and out of this Jeff fella's.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
https://twitter.com/Jackalo75672986/status/1564695757026107393

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have been saying since 2019 that Steve Bannon and Bill Barr are the same person and no one has ever seen them in the same room together.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Star Man posted:

I have been saying since 2019 that Steve Bannon and Bill Barr are the same person and no one has ever seen them in the same room together.

How does he manage to keep the flies away when he's in Barr form?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Good Bill’s in the lodge, and he can’t leave. Write it in your diary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FFT posted:

"You virtue signaling wokescolds are just making up words1 and thinking therapy is always the solution, the man's a doctor of psychology, what degrees do you have??"

1: my personal favorite Shapiro moment

But...I thought colleges were liberal factories that are there to indoctrinate young minds and teach them to hate America?

Or is the hero in this story the guy that repeatedly dropped such devastating right wing truth bombs on the nerdy professor that he forced his way to a degree even though his teacher tried to fail him for "telling it like it is" and then gradually won over the entire class to his side once his superior intellect became obvious and he started getting a ton of pussy?