Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This design has long irritated me and is just bad and lazy.
If its too heavy to pick up or will otherwise kill me then you shouldnt be allowed to auto pick it up.
Dont cement the player in place only for them to die.

I had this happen in satisfactory in a radiated area.
Instead of letting me grab the one item I also picked up barrels of toxic waste and died instantly.

Just dont let me auto pick it up if its going to kill me.

This is just lazy coding and douchebaggery from the devs.
See also silent exploding creeper and zombie thats somehow strapped with c4 and a button on its chest in 7d2d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I mean to be fair, I did manually take it from inventory and your encumbrance info is right there in the inventory screen, so partly that is on me, but it's designed as the very first encounter and yeah it is 100% a game designer dick move. WELCOME TO MY VIDEO GAME HA HA :commissar:
e: also as you start dying this way it shows up as just bleeding; treat the bleed with a bandage, oops now you have 2x bleeding; treat with a high quality first aid kit oops you have 3x bleeding and it says "I need to treat the radiation" right before you die lmao

I'm sure once you're already aware of these various mechanical things, for which THIS IS EFFECTIVELY THE TUTORIAL, it's less obnoxious, and it's a rogue-lite so you're expected to die to progress I guess, but I expect they're going to have a lot of returns from people hitting this and getting buyer's remorse

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh yeah another thing: REALLY DISCONCERTING to get 10-20fps in a top down 2d pixel art game :thunk:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah I've already died 3 times inside of about 10 minutes in the one level this demo has to offer, there's a warning on the level select screen about a memory leak, and the loading time to get back in after snuffing it is not much fun. I also have not yet discerned how to tell between the chill survivors and the rogue bandits who will instantly reduce you to a fine mist on sight, which is further complicated by some of the AI apparently being able to spot you from halfway across the map while others need to walk up and examine the pores on your face before they realize they're hostile to you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Everyone is hostile, at least in the demos. Shoot first. Except Igor, don't shoot Igor. By the time you realize who Igor is, you've probably already shot him. :v:

The game is definitely not going to be for everyone, its definitely meant for Stalker/Tarkov fans. Its brutal and violent starting out. There is no tutorial, sink or swim. Your survivability goes way up once you get some upgrades though.

Also, if your geiger counter is going ticity-tic-tic maybe don't stand there dithering over loot. lol

I think the demo ends in a few hours so maybe not much point but here is some tips I posted in another thread during the first demo period (which was easier than the current one!)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some random thoughts/tips for those that try the demo:

• Don't bother buying guns from the traders, get the workshop and you can eventually fix one you loot in raid, and several of the quests will offer a selection of guns as a reward.
  • It may be tempting to use a looted gun, but the penalty for their low durability (which is usually 25-40%) is pretty stiff.
  • Choose the recycling hideout upgrade for one of your hideout slots and prioritize it alongside the workshop. It makes a big difference in the amount of scrap you get back from scrapping trash guns and ammo.
  • 7.62x39 PS does work, just like Tarkov. Fix yourself up an SKS (or get one as a quest reward eventually) and it'll do great until you can get your hands on an AKM. Alternatively the Nugget is always reliable, though not ideal against mutants/wildlife packs or in close quarters.
  • You're really squishy first, but once you get some decent armor your can survive a lot of fights better. Make sure to keep your armor in good repair.
  • I found it more cost effective to just pay for armor repairs as it seemed to take significant amounts of weapon scrap to repair even modest armor damage.
  • Weight capacity sucks at first, backpack upgrades are a top priority, and once you get your stamina skill up I highly suggest the Mule specialization for the extra carry capacity.
  • Once you get a decent carry weight, always try to grab an extra gun to take out of the raid with you, preferably one with attachments, as those can sell for a decent amount (or be useful upgrades) and you can scrap the gun for weapon parts to fix your poo poo up.
  • Sniping is surprisingly viable, and much like Tarkov carrying a sidearm as backup can help if you have to go into cramped areas, the APS is surprisingly good despite using 9x18.
  • Much like Tarkov get stash upgrades ASAP.
  • A lot of the loot is kinda useless, for the demo at least. Have a rough idea of what you need for your hideout upgrades and otherwise just grab valuable loot.
  • Valuable loot includes obvious stuff like Watches, chains, cigarettes, and the crystals from anomaly fields. However there is some other stuff that is surprisingly valuable, such as Alenka Chocolate (not the generic ones), bottles of coke, and gameboys/playstations (these are extremely valuable!).
  • Keep an ear out for the sound of a jet plane. If you hear that check your map shortly after for an air drop marker. It'll have a crate full of goodies ranging from guns (in perfect condition), attachments, ammo, and food. They seem to either attract or generate random hostiles though, so be careful.
  • Don't pick medical recipe books as quest rewards, they were the only ones I ever found in raid. (and honestly after a while I was getting so much medical stuff as loot I never felt the need to craft advanced medical stuff).
  • Go for ammunition books IMO, I never found any and was stuck with HP ammo as the only thing I could craft, meaning I pretty much bought all my ammo.
  • The barman's ammo selection kinda sucks, basically nothing but Hollowpoints and other civilian grade stuff. Once you get access to the Green Army trader you can get PS rounds.
  • When it comes to other humans its more Tarkov than Stalker, the "Loners" in the raid are not friendly and will still shoot your rear end if they see you, so shoot first. Same goes for the Green Army guys, you may be working for their boss but they'll still try to kill you in raid. This might change if you're wearing a Green Army armor suit. I don't know, I stuck to the Totally Not a Sunrise suit Barman sells.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 29, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean to be fair, I did manually take it from inventory and your encumbrance info is right there in the inventory screen, so partly that is on me, but it's designed as the very first encounter and yeah it is 100% a game designer dick move. WELCOME TO MY VIDEO GAME HA HA :commissar:
Nah, it's totally random no part of this is hand designed as an encounter, you just bumped into a rough fight.
It should be, but it's not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, if your geiger counter is going ticity-tic-tic maybe don't stand there dithering over loot. lol
Is the bleeding indicator Flesh Forge is describing doing double duty as a general "yer sick" or is it explicitly him bleeding out from rapid onset radiation sloughing? Are there any other injury moodlets so your see like bleeding + nausea = oh guess I got a bigger dose back there than I expected?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Twenty Four posted:

Yeah, I definitely always have a bit of "what happened to lead up to how I got here" imaginary backstory going through my head in PZ based on your starting house. Even just going into random houses, many can have a bit of uniqueness as to how things went down to arrive at how they are now. Some of these seem pretty intentional, like the designers want you to put two and two together on the little mystery that played out in a location, and it's a bit of flavor that I really enjoy.

I found a house that was crammed with only toilet paper everywhere. Dressers, shelves, even the fridge!

Then another with nothing. I figured it was a bug, but saw at least one door had been smashed in, implying someone had already looted it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really want to like Zero Sievert but so far the atrocious performance isn't letting me.

I really like the aesthetic, setting, and mood of it. The little shootout I got into was cool. I ran into a rad cloud thinking an artifact might be there, I was wrong. Ran into a bandit camp while trying to run from a pack of wolves, and got gunned down.

All at like 7fps. I know my laptop isn't a killer but good god.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 29, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah the performance issues for Sievert are kinda weird. Some people with amazing computers are reporting problems while others, like me and my ancient i5 and 1070, are running it without much trouble.

Try turning off the dynamic grass.

There are (so far?) No artifacts, though anomalies will spawn visible crystal clusters you can look for crystals that sell for a modest sum or can be used in some crafts if you have the appropriate hideout upgrades/skillbooks.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Everyone is hostile, at least in the demos. Shoot first. Except Igor, don't shoot Igor. By the time you realize who Igor is, you've probably already shot him. :v:

Literally the very first encampment I encountered in the forest level was occupied by some passive survivors, one of them was playing a guitar. They were extremely wary of me and kept their guns trained on me, even the guitarist stopped playing and pulled out his weapon when I got close, but none of them shot first. They could all be talked to and asked about the local area or any tasks that needed doing, but their responses were all placeholder text.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I tried changing the settings to no dynamic grass, low spec on and lowest grass setting, relaunched the game. Still below 10fps in a raid, though bunker performance is fine.

It takes about 9 seconds real time to reload the AK i started with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Literally the very first encampment I encountered in the forest level was occupied by some passive survivors, one of them was playing a guitar. They were extremely wary of me and kept their guns trained on me, even the guitarist stopped playing and pulled out his weapon when I got close, but none of them shot first. They could all be talked to and asked about the local area or any tasks that needed doing, but their responses were all placeholder text.

That might've been a change to the second demo then. Or maybe they respond to you moving your crosshair close to them.

Arrath posted:

I tried changing the settings to no dynamic grass, low spec on and lowest grass setting, relaunched the game. Still below 10fps in a raid, though bunker performance is fine.

It takes about 9 seconds real time to reload the AK i started with.

Try disabling fog of war as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try disabling fog of war as well.

Eyyyy, protip there. Its playable now.

E: Oh gently caress me ghouls are fast.

Okay 22 raids (and 8 survives) later: this is a pretty charming little top-down stalker/tarkov alike. Quite challenging, and I have been caught out by a few silly little things like:

Sterilized bandages are a small heal but do nothing for bleeds. Oops.
You have to explicitly change ammo type (with Y and the mousewheel), instead of just pressing reload and letting your little man load whatever he wants.
Further, this means there's no mix/match of ammo within a magazine.

Also that village is a fuckin deathtrap. I've learned to only loot the outskirts, or stick to the west side of the N/S road, where there are a couple bandit or loner spawns that can reliably be hit up. But by god do I need some hideout upgrades already. It's rather disheartening to ding a bunch of HP rounds off of a guy's helmet and have to run for your life.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 29, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hey uh, Cult of the Lamb is an absolute magnificent masterpiece

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1313140/Cult_of_the_Lamb/

It crosses a lot of genres but there is some overlap with Don't Starve's survival elements, at a community level. Food and waste management, starvation and illness. you can make meals out of poop. you can sacrifice followers and turn their delicious meats into meals. it is *loving adorable*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cult of the Lamb is pretty good but fair warning to people used to grindstone survival games, it's pretty easy too. It doesn't take that long to reach sustainable levels and after that it mostly exists to serve the dungeon crawling, which is kind of bland but every run is like 10 mins so it balances out.

I'm almost done with the game so this is not a condemnation, I like it, it's just a different kind of thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I definitely think it's more enjoyable if you crank up the difficulty to hard or even very hard, since it seems to affect the colony management half of the game as well. I wish your cultists were treated as a bit more distinct and unique, but even their inherent traits tend to quickly not matter very much and one's as good as the other.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
After dying to the cold I started up another map in Vintage Story and so far have been pretty lucky - found a nice little lake with some islands in the middle and claimed the land, and as it happens I am near copper, tin, and iron. So I've managed to get an iron anvil assembled - after a long search for borax - but as it is around halfway through summer I am in decent shape. I may still freeze come winter as there aren't many animals in the area, so I have no leather yet, but I have some chickens and maybe will get some leather from them eventually. While searching the desert for borax or lime I saw a few herds of deer/gazelles so maybe herding them towards my place and ranching them would work, else just hunting them directly.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

post ur Groverhaus

Here is a view from one side of my little islands

I had a dirt block house to start with beside the dirt charcoal & kiln area until I got a saw and was able to make the wood for my current house there. My houses are usually square though for the first time I added shingles and a little balcony.

From the other side of my islands:

One of the islands was covered in flowers so now it has bees going, and on the left you can see a little chicken ranch fenced in, I seem to already have some new chickens so I am curious how many I will have before winter hits.

Finally inside the house:

The whole thing is 7x7x7, there's a tiny upstairs area with just a bed and a door to the balcony. I have a separate cellar entrance outside as well.

So, overall, things are looking ok but I really need leather - or potentially cotton which I think I have a mod adding - in order to get some clothes for the winter.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
One note about chickens is that they freak out when you're around so don't put the coop too close to your house or they'll never sit on their eggs.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 31, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What's with the fence going through the water?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You don't get leather from chickens, so you need to find some other wildlife and murder them. If you're on the 1.17-rc, hide size matters when making pelts and then fur attire, so you only need to murder a single bear or several sheep to get them, rather than 20 rabbits.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Spanish Matlock posted:

One note about chickens is that they freak out when you're around so don't put the coop too close to your house or they'll never sit on their eggs.

I noticed that too late but luckily I only go by them when I return from outings and can mostly avoid the hens, though I might move them to a corner so it's easier.

Vib Rib posted:

What's with the fence going through the water?

I have seen all animals swim and have also had bunnies and such eating my crops before, and ever since putting up the fence I have not had any intruders. Drifters do spawn within the fence and then swim around trying to get out when day breaks but that's not really a problem for now because they don't eat my flax.

HelloSailorSign posted:

You don't get leather from chickens, so you need to find some other wildlife and murder them. If you're on the 1.17-rc, hide size matters when making pelts and then fur attire, so you only need to murder a single bear or several sheep to get them, rather than 20 rabbits.

That is good to know, and I have never even cooked eggs so I guess those hens are just for decoration for now. I will go find a herd of something to kill, I should almost be ready to make a bow soon.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

* No leather
* No bow
* Have Iron Anvil
* Still the first summer

Fun to see how differently we play

Nice island house!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
zero sievert really has a lot of potential

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

new stable build for vintage story

https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/stable-de-jank-and-game-juice-update-1170-r329/

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

For those on the release candidate builds, I think these are the biggest of the changes from rc8:

quote:

Tweak: Major berry bush and crop growth times and yield rebalance, with the ultimate goal being crops becoming in sync with the seasons. We carefully looked at growth times versus satiety to redo most of the numbers we used to have on our crops. This is a work in progress, feel free to provide feedback.
Tweak: Doubled berry bush growth times and yield. Reduced ripe berry bushes on spawn

Flax grow time is now 18 days for example, though I have no idea what it yields on harvest.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

quote:

Added oxygen meter

Well poo poo. Here I was quite happy with being amphibious. Guess I'm never finding out what's at the bottom of those hundreds-of-blocks-deep tiny ponds that open up into massive, yawning abysses.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godlessdonut posted:

Flax grow time is now 18 days for example, though I have no idea what it yields on harvest.

Gah. Ever more important to get it into the ground asap, huh.

"Chiselling now requires a hammer in the off-hand in Survival mode, but does not consume durability on the hammer" feels to be in the "pointless little thing to remember to do for the sake of immersion" realm.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 31, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Godlessdonut posted:

For those on the release candidate builds, I think these are the biggest of the changes from rc8:

It also said there's an animation for petting your animals now which seems very important to me, someone who has owned the game for ages and even accidentally bought it twice, but has only played for like one hour

I'm going to give it a proper go soon.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

HelloSailorSign posted:

When I need leather/meat/fat, I haven’t bothered with bows at all (although I just made some recurves). I just craft a crapload of spears, like 6, and toss them as fast as I can at sheep, wolves, etc. If the angry animal gets too close or I run out, I usually sprint straight at them and they miss hitting me most of the time.

I used to carefully set up safe traps etc. but I found it to be WAY faster to just berserker charge everything.

I’m also a hunter class, as the small penalty to mining is significantly outclassed by increased run speed and ranged damage.

Haven’t fought bears yet but surely my strategy can’t fail. If it does I’ll just craft even more spears. Or just build a cliff trap by jumping to a ladder and lure them to fall to their doom.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 31, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
a/s/l?

Goreld posted:

leather/meat/fat

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I think Vintage Story would be much better for me if someone modded in Quake or Doom style 1st person shooting to take my mind off the mining mechanics.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Baba Oh Really posted:

I think Vintage Story would be much better for me if someone modded in Quake or Doom style 1st person shooting to take my mind off the mining mechanics.

You might be onto something golden here

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Especially if you do a lot of panning, you’ll wind up with way more spearheads than you can realistically use. Spear spam is definitely viable, they do good damage and you can burst dps far better spear spamming than anything else I think. Bears have a lot of hit points, you’ll probably need another few spears.

I usually run clockmaker, though I’ve yet to make a hacking spear.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

You might be onto something golden here

Harvest Doom

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I searched for that on youtube and found a modded map that seems interesting. But I think an expanded Doom/Quake/Unreal-style FPS with survival mechanics could be interesting if integrated well. At least the combat would be great.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

I searched for that on youtube and found a modded map that seems interesting. But I think an expanded Doom/Quake/Unreal-style FPS with survival mechanics could be interesting if integrated well. At least the combat would be great.

Hideous Destructor does already exist, but that's probably not what either of us is thinking of :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The worst part of every survival game tends to be the combat so I doubt you could wind up with something worse.

It would take a pretty creative setting to explain the mechanics, but what if you had a survival game that was sort of like Cult of the Lamb? Combat and exploration happened in random, instanced areas where it could be tuned up, then you return to your home base with a bulging backpack of supplies to build up, create infrastructure, make new equipment, that sorta stuff. I think it could work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

The worst part of every survival game tends to be the combat so I doubt you could wind up with something worse.

It would take a pretty creative setting to explain the mechanics, but what if you had a survival game that was sort of like Cult of the Lamb? Combat and exploration happened in random, instanced areas where it could be tuned up, then you return to your home base with a bulging backpack of supplies to build up, create infrastructure, make new equipment, that sorta stuff. I think it could work.

Recettear except you fight off starvation in a literal sense instead of a metaphorical, financial sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

The starting point could basically be what the end of a typical round of SS13 looks like. Huge space catastrophe, most people are dead, you as the one with the combat experience get to comb through alien-infested derelicts for resources to rebuild. Recruit more people by finding survivors on derelicts, etc.