Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Oxxidation posted:

the ending was truncated because the author’s house burned down

probably wanted to finish the thing while they still had the stamina for it

fair enough and i wouldn't have a go at the fella for that but unless that happened in like 2018 or something the problems i am describing extremely predate it. the pacing of the comic up until the lich/atlas reveal is slow, deliberate and introspective, and (probably too) willing to get into the metaplot very slowly and by stages. imo, better, the arc with the gentleman ghost is probably my favourite of the series. after that roughly the pacing starts going into hyperdrive and it never stops to the point you're getting chapters in a page by the end. when did the fire happen, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
2018. the paradise fire in California

e: nope 2020 almeda fire. my b. too many fires in cali

ee: it was in oregon. i dont think i know anything

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 24, 2022

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
World on fire so what

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fun hater posted:

2018. the paradise fire in California

e: nope 2020 almeda fire. my b. too many fires in cali

ee: it was in oregon. i dont think i know anything

it's alright i found it, i was skipping past them by this stage and no it was well well into the finale by the time this happened. i don't criticize because i disliked it, quite the opposite i really really liked it and as such the tempo issues feels like you rush past the parts i liked most. it was good the entire way through but it was occasionally amazing. i dunno how do webtoons contracts work, i thought it was weird that the "sorry no comic this week" comics were almost always actually comics ie a bunch of drawn panels rather than just a short message or something, maybe they were obligated. i wasn't kidding when i estimated about one comic in ten was like that.

hopefully the conditions self hosting are better and his personal circumstances stabilize and he can take his time, and i can read it in 2040 when i next think about it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah the pacing was not great but the world and concepts and art are all fantastic. The ending was pretty scattershot but given the circumstances it makes sense

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Don't forget to read their earlier comics. Derelict was great. And the one before that might as well have happened in the same world as Sword Interval.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm going to be the old grouch that complains that their new website doesn't have an rss feed.

Very pretty, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hell yesss Vattu has entered the scouring of the Shire phase

Nights Fallow
Jul 27, 2022

Vattu has been a great journey, and yeah, the recent pages reminded me of the ending chapters of LOTR too. I am going to miss this webcomic.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Evan Dahm's already posted a teaser for his next project, starting in december.

https://twitter.com/evandahm/status/1564017482125303814

"An asynchronous apocalypse drama". Excited to see his take on Homestuck!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m really liking Beekeeper’s Tale so far. The fight scene has been really fun and kinetic, the implicit setting ideas are cool, and the opening infinite canvas page is just such a drat breath of fresh air - especially after Fleuter’s last project was hampered by the webtoons format.

I’m really excited for this one.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Beekeeper's Tale is giving off some K6BD vibes. That's a good sign.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Vattu is coming home :unsmith:
... Vattu is coming home :smith:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ah yeah, the "they're back" thing is because the priest sold Vattu into slavery to pay their first tax to Sahta. Probably thinks they're back for more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

Ah yeah, the "they're back" thing is because the priest sold Vattu into slavery to pay their first tax to Sahta. Probably thinks they're back for more.

Vattu has already been back to the Flutelands recently in her official capacity as Arrius's proxy and confronted the priest then, I think the priest has a pretty good idea what this is about.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oh yes, forgot about that part. Man, this has been a journey.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I don't recall the priest being referred to as "my lord" back then either. For all his talk of having to play the hand he was dealt, and "gaining things, losing things", things seem to have turned out pretty well for him :raise:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Has Evan Dahm said anything about the last Vattu book, or is it still too early to know anything about the timing for that? (Please quote me if you answer, I'm being a weirdo about spoilers and skimming past this thread, since I've been reading Vattu only as the printed books come out, for some reason.)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ditocoaf posted:

Has Evan Dahm said anything about the last Vattu book, or is it still too early to know anything about the timing for that? (Please quote me if you answer, I'm being a weirdo about spoilers and skimming past this thread, since I've been reading Vattu only as the printed books come out, for some reason.)

Yes:

rice-boy.com posted:

On MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, the last pages will go up early in the day (EST), and a download of the entire comic will be made available from Topatoco, which will be free if you like. ALSO I’ll be launching with Topatoco a preorder campaign for the fourth and final print book of Vattu on that day. (Topatoco has handled getting the previous books printed and sold, if you weren’t aware).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Awesome thank you!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd been wondering how Topatoco was doing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd been wondering how Topatoco was doing.

Not to bring everything back to QC, but my assumption is Jeph's lust for making geeky t-shirts is keeping them afloat at this point.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's a whole lot of long running/old webcomics!

They also do merch for Welcome to Nightvale, which was quite huge for a while.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Anyone else a fan of Drive, the Scifi comic I used to be a regular reader till my RSS reader broke and I kind of forgot about it till picking it back up and re adding it rss. It does a strange balance of drama and silly hijinks, but the most interesting thing to me is how he attracts other writers/artists to make their own side stories in his universe, some of which I enjoyed more than the main comic.

For minor nitpicks though, In an admittedly clever and useful for other people move, his rss feed breaks the comic up into vertical scroll comic panels like it was on webtoons or something rather than just linking to the full comic page as originally structured. I hate the vertical scroll format.

Do people even have RSS readers on their phones?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I was reading it, but I guess I didn't notice the rss had broken, because I haven't read any of the recent updates.

... Yeah, I use Feedly on my phone. It's okay, like Google Reader, but with ads that are ignorable.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I use inoreader these days, which is browser-based and access it from my phone almost as often as from desktop.

Also, I just realized I'm probably weird for always clicking through and reading updates on their actual sites. RSS is just a feed of links as far as I'm concerned, reading stuff in a reader itself has always felt like a bad kludge.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Wait, poo poo, the RSS for Drive broke? I thought he was just having one of those semi-frequent moderate-length breaks between spates of updates. Welp, time to find out how behind I am.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Twibbit posted:

Anyone else a fan of Drive, the Scifi comic I used to be a regular reader till my RSS reader broke and I kind of forgot about it till picking it back up and re adding it rss. It does a strange balance of drama and silly hijinks, but the most interesting thing to me is how he attracts other writers/artists to make their own side stories in his universe, some of which I enjoyed more than the main comic.

For minor nitpicks though, In an admittedly clever and useful for other people move, his rss feed breaks the comic up into vertical scroll comic panels like it was on webtoons or something rather than just linking to the full comic page as originally structured. I hate the vertical scroll format.

Do people even have RSS readers on their phones?
One of those comics I started reading and forgot about. Just finished binging it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, apparently Meredith Gran, maker of top-ten webcomic Octopus Pie, is kickstarting a sequel to her game Perfect Tides? Somehow I didn't hear about that.

Only four days left with a few thousand dollars to go; might be worth looking into.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Perfect Tides was like watching the distaff version of myself at the same age. Added myself to the donor list for the sequel.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't think I've ever used an RSS feed once. I just bookmark the webcomics I like and catch up when I feel like it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i just use the other webcomic threads to read comics

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i follow like five or six webcomics and i just go their page every day or so whenever i remember

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
since approximately 2007, my route has gone drmcninja.com -> click all the webcomics i like and also questionable content -> use their links page to click the other comics i like

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
FreshRSS, running on a raspberry pi on my home network. I almost never check webcomics away from home , but can VPN in if I do.

Should probably be a little more vigilant about potential sd card failure, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

For decades I've just had a folder of bookmarks that I'd check regularly for new updates.

Then fairly recently I joined a Discord server, the purpose of which is to host a bot that just repeats a bunch of RSS feeds into it. It turns out that's pretty convenient.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I have two folders for comics. One is full of webcomics that update frequently/daily, and I just open all the links in the folder and close each page as I read it. The other is comics that update weekly/sporadically and I open that one once a week, usually Monday because that’s when Oglaf updates.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Khizan posted:

I have two folders for comics. One is full of webcomics that update frequently/daily, and I just open all the links in the folder and close each page as I read it. The other is comics that update weekly/sporadically and I open that one once a week, usually Monday because that’s when Oglaf updates.

That's basically what I remember my method being about 10 years ago. But as the number of comics I followed (especially sporadically updating ones) peaked at some point, I found myself "opening all the bookmarks and seeing if any had updated" a little too frequently, as an absentminded / compulsive habit.

Sure, I checked all my bookmarks when I sat down at my computer, and now it's time to go make dinner, but maybe I just check all my bookmarks again before I go. And during the time I checked all those bookmarks, maybe someone's posted to one of the threads I follow on a few forums. And during the time I checked those, etc.

RSS was part of the fix for that. (key words "part of".) It's been nice to just have one page to check for every comic and blog. It fills up with any and all updates, and I clear them off the list as I read them, whether all at once or in bits and pieces.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, apparently Meredith Gran, maker of top-ten webcomic Octopus Pie, is kickstarting a sequel to her game Perfect Tides? Somehow I didn't hear about that.

Only four days left with a few thousand dollars to go; might be worth looking into.

It's now reached its funding goal. I strongly recommend that anyone at all who enjoyed Octopus Pie check out Perfect Tides on Steam, and if you already played Perfect Tides and liked it there's still time to hop onto this one in the next 48 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Kind of funny that the very first week of beekeepers tale is immediately followed by an update slip on what is supposed to be the first day of normal programming