Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My only real issue is that people have gotten so into trying to be funny or gimmicky that it's literally impossible to know when people are serious and when they're joking these days, and oftentimes when people do post sincerely it's at best ignored or at worst shouted down (more so the former though).

Also the forum is more cliquish than I think a lot of people want to admit but that's gonna happen literally everywhere, it's impossible to avoid, I just think it's a bit unfortunate at times.

Actually now that I think about it I'll use myself as an example to illustrate the first point. So like, it's literally forum lore at this point that I'm the biggest Jon Moxley mark there is. That's why someone ITT was complaining that my loving username being a thread title was a match spoiler. I don't personally agree on that part but whatever. Point is, as long as people aren't making fun of me for it (which I honestly don't think has happened in years so that's excellent!) I have zero problem with it. It actually makes me happy most of the time. HOWEVER, we've reached a level of posting re: fandom or even dislike of wrestlers or promotions that makes my Moxposting seem positively subtle in comparison. And again to be clear I think most people are exaggerating for comic effect? But like, it's always there now with some people. And if the volume is always at 11 it ceases to mean anything. The reason why I'm The Mox Guy is because it's genuine and sincere. I think a lot of people post insincerely these days because they think it makes them cooler or funnier and when you have threads full of bare minimum 40% of posts being like that it's just noise.

Also while I've returned to posting a bit more regularly in the AEW threads I still don't even dare to touch the WWE threads because even though I think the product has genuinely been improving lately (still a long way to go but at least there's the occasional thing worth discussing positively) if the bleed through references in the AEW threads are anything to go by, nobody actually wants to discuss WWE, they just want to take turns dunking on it, making GBS threads on Cody for going back, and derisively calling it The Fed. If that makes the majority of the community happy have at it I guess, but hard pass from me. And maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing. But considering it can be pretty goddamn difficult to have a sincere discussion in the AEW threads and that's a product pretty much everyone agrees they LIKE? Yeah I doubt it.

Edit to put a finer point on something I said: IMO trollposting is a loving scourge, not because it exists, but rather because it's all some people do, and they don't even put any effort into it a lot of the time. It's the kinda poo poo that used to get probed, back when, y'know, this forum had like ten times the number of people posting regularly? And like, I get it's the new norm, whatever, but I'm not gonna say that I don't think it sucks bad, and I'm not gonna say I don't think that the regularity of it wasn't a big factor in this place becoming a shell of itself, because I do.

Dude, the flip side of this is that you get really meant to people when they say stuff about Mox and can be the text book definition of "can dish it out but can't take it". Sometimes the sincere posts are good, sometimes they're predicting how poo poo future shows that have not happened yet will be because of something that's happened to Mox and disagreeing with that is called troll posting.

There is no getting around the fact that if you go into a public space, get on a soap box and tell everyone your opinion that they will respond in ways you can't control.

Edit: Your reading of the WWE thread is also kind of just wrong, it's changed a lot since there are alternatives and people hungry for wrestling are not hate watching it in hopes of getting some dregs.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dude, the flip side of this is that you get really meant to people when they say stuff about Mox and can be the text book definition of "can dish it out but can't take it". Sometimes the sincere posts are good, sometimes they're predicting how poo poo future shows that have not happened yet will be because of something that's happened to Mox and disagreeing with that is called troll posting.

There is no getting around the fact that if you go into a public space, get on a soap box and tell everyone your opinion that they will respond in ways you can't control.

Edit: Your reading of the WWE thread is also kind of just wrong, it's changed a lot since there are alternatives and people hungry for wrestling are not hate watching it in hopes of getting some dregs.

Yeah the lashing out against people who don’t love exactly what you love thing needs to end.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And to be clear I agree with a lot of what Fooch posted and there should be space for sincere posts and being an outright troll to them should be probed. To try to create some examples here:

Bad posts:
"Mox is amazing, should win everything ever, and here's why"
"gently caress you Mox sucks because he eats poop and his fans should die from a really gross infection"

That should get a probe and if OP responded with hostility they would be in the right.

Good posts
"Mox is amazing, should win everything ever, and here's why"
"Nah, that's stupid and here's why I think Mox is bad"

Is a perfectly fine post that should continue to be fine as long as no one gets overly hostile about it. You can have a disagreement there no problem. And if it is met by hostility from OP then OP should get a probe. If you post an opinion in public you can be told it's stupid, you just deserve to be told why and allowed to discuss it back and forth on a discussion forum.

Edit: just to tack on, it's even ok for those discussions to get a bit hot and people toss stuff around but then you're following the rules of bantz and if someone cuts too deep you all stop playing instead of getting mad. Don't be an Eddie Kingston because someone got a touch too real in the pretend fight.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 28, 2022

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My only real issue is that people have gotten so into trying to be funny or gimmicky that it's literally impossible to know when people are serious and when they're joking these days, and oftentimes when people do post sincerely it's at best ignored or at worst shouted down (more so the former though).

When I read something that is egregiously stupid, unless I have reasons to believe otherwise, I tend to assume it's joking or it's a bit even if it's sometimes not funny because hey, jokes bomb sometimes and also some people aren't very good at them. There's posting in bad faith, but there's also reading in good faith. I think. That's just me though.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think a lot of people post insincerely these days because they think it makes them cooler or funnier and when you have threads full of bare minimum 40% of posts being like that it's just noise.

People trying to be cool, whatever, but people trying to be funny? I have to disagree that that's "noise." Jokes are fun and good and they should be encouraged. They're the best part of this place. I don't know if SA being a "Comedy Forum" even matters or is true anymore, but in my heart it is. I'm here to hang out and enjoy myself. If I wanted to be miserable and serious I'd go literally anywhere else online.

Anyway, I didn't mean to single you out Foochs, I like having you around and I think you're an important member of this community, your post just had some points that i felt were a good platform for me to be able to elaborate What I Want Out of PSP.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think the "bad vibes" issue that got brought up on page 1 really just boils down to some people taking wrestling, their opinions about wrestling, and most notably other peoples opinions about wrestling, far far too seriously. my ideal version of a wrestling forum is a place where the same poster can go in one thread and pour their heart out about, idk, how much aew means to them because it was there during the pandemic when they couldnt visit family or something, and then go to another thread and respond to someone saying something dumb with what_a_mark.mp4. i think if the posters here actually wanted true constant pedantry and honesty then we would filter into shittier places on the internet, and the real vibe is "place to be yourself and post whats on your mind about wrestling and do jokes". sometimes though, posting honestly is the joke. maybe thats the secret more people need to know. idk. mod niennumb he was good at the old funny wrestling forum that everyone liked

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Actually, another place where I think having more mods or IKs will help is that threads are free so I really do think people would be comfortable making something like a "serious posts only thread" and expect that to be enforced within reason. I think being able to do that will solve some of the problems where mega threads are trying to be for everyone. It just requires someone reading those threads with some buttons.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Actually, another place where I think having more mods or IKs will help is that threads are free so I really do think people would be comfortable making something like a "serious posts only thread" and expect that to be enforced within reason. I think being able to do that will solve some of the problems where mega threads are trying to be for everyone. It just requires someone reading those threads with some buttons.

Paper Lion posted:

i think the "bad vibes" issue that got brought up on page 1 really just boils down to some people taking wrestling, their opinions about wrestling, and most notably other peoples opinions about wrestling, far far too seriously. my ideal version of a wrestling forum is a place where the same poster can go in one thread and pour their heart out about, idk, how much aew means to them because it was there during the pandemic when they couldnt visit family or something, and then go to another thread and respond to someone saying something dumb with what_a_mark.mp4. i think if the posters here actually wanted true constant pedantry and honesty then we would filter into shittier places on the internet, and the real vibe is "place to be yourself and post whats on your mind about wrestling and do jokes". sometimes though, posting honestly is the joke. maybe thats the secret more people need to know. idk. mod niennumb he was good at the old funny wrestling forum that everyone liked

neoaxd posted:

When I read something that is egregiously stupid, unless I have reasons to believe otherwise, I tend to assume it's joking or it's a bit even if it's sometimes not funny because hey, jokes bomb sometimes and also some people aren't very good at them. There's posting in bad faith, but there's also reading in good faith. I think. That's just me though.

People trying to be cool, whatever, but people trying to be funny? I have to disagree that that's "noise." Jokes are fun and good and they should be encouraged. They're the best part of this place. I don't know if SA being a "Comedy Forum" even matters or is true anymore, but in my heart it is. I'm here to hang out and enjoy myself. If I wanted to be miserable and serious I'd go literally anywhere else online.

Anyway, I didn't mean to single you out Foochs, I like having you around and I think you're an important member of this community, your post just had some points that i felt were a good platform for me to be able to elaborate What I Want Out of PSP.

yea ok posted:

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, everyone's feedback is valid, but there really isn't very much 'animosity' in this forum. Now, granted, I was literally told to gently caress off and leave forever because I told a joke the other day, but that really is few and far between. Naturally, there will always be some people completely dissatisfied with any choices made, since their forums philosophy of what should and shouldn't be allowed will differ from authority.

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

Cavauro posted:

in my opinion the only big change that should be made is a moderator who most of the time gets to just be a poster, does so, acts like an IK, and has the power to get rid of somebody who is massively freaking out or saying extremely hosed up horrible things. doesn't necessarily have to even be a change in moderators if they don't want to and did want to do exactly what i say at all times. don't change anything else in case it's a lot worse than what's going on now. maybe i'm biased since i find that pretty likely to be the case and others don't. no worries. 1+1 cents.

e; whoops didn't see above

i agree

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gumball Gumption posted:

Even as someone who (mostly) leans towards the "taking wrestling too drat seriously" side of things, I'm not sure I'd really be willing to go as far as to post a "No Fun Allowed Zone" thread.

Honestly, the community of wrestling watchers on SA is so small at this point that while something akin to the Enclosed Pool Area but permanent would be nice, it'd be a lot less fun for everyone if you had half the posters to interact with. Like, there's only so many of us, we can probably learn to live with each others "foibles", be that being a mark & taking wrestling too seriously or indulging in some casual shitposting (& I'm not knocking shitposting, it's fun)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already by multiple people. Generally just having a mod who is more visibly present in the community would be nice.

I'm happy this place is still the best community to talk about wrestling online that I've found despite its faults, and things would have to get pretty bad for that to change.

I don't have many people in my life that share this interest so its great to be able to come here and talk with people who are excited about the same things, even if our opinions differ it's way more sane and welcoming than Twitter or r/Squaredcircle.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I think trying to separate and place posters in groups is slightly a problem because like i said there are multiple posters on here who consume wrestling differently, not just promotions and styles, and they're all valid. Its when someone who doesnt watch wrestling the same way as another sees a post they dont agree with and feel like they have to just shoot them down. There a handful of older PSP posters who where here back during WH2K still and a handful of newer or returning posters who havent watched wrestling in awhile/before and those clash as do some regulars who always have been interesting to deal with.

those that want to seriously discus what they did or didnt like or where they think the promotions they're watching will go with booking can have that and there are others that will engage with them, but they do need to either ignore or not take ones who dont take it as serious or think about wrestling the same way replying to them with jokes or w/e. The same goes vice versa where if the more lighthearted posters dont need to prod people with burns if they not being malicious. I dont think its too hard to ignore a poster you dont agree with or at least better ways to dismiss their ramblings.

I feel like the only problem that PSP posters keep running into is just they never like the mods because they dont do exactly what they want, but also no one truly want to be a mod because they think mods suck in general and dont want to be one & have to deal with this subforums occasional drama. I feel like the trouble on the subforum only really blows up after wednesday nights because aew is the obvious hot product that people on this subforum care enough about to get truly heated over and that carries on to friday, reignited after Rampage and mostly settles down by tuesday for the most part unless there's a PPV or something that AEW has. I dont think literally any of the other threads/promotions/combat sports have as much issues, except maybe the wwe threads when trolling gets too weird or heated. Yes there is conversations that other posters are tired of like the AEW and Women topic but thats gonna keep happening and posters that dont like it should just ignore it instead of making aggro posts like "here we go again" that doesnt help but stir up any issues between posters.

tl;dr seperate areas is dumb, we all consume wrestling just others in different ways and people need to learn to ignore those that dont consume the product the same as them unless they're being obviously malicious about it. Mod situation is weird because no one actually wants to mod anything because its seen as lame with past SA culture with awful mods. If we get a mod to replace one or just another in general they should at least be regularly around from at least wed to sunday since i see those as the big post show discussion days

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

One thing that gives me pause is that there's a broad agreement that there needs to be more moderation, but also that the main thing that needs to be moderated is low-level animosity. That's going to require a level of acceptance from posters. Moderating low-level animosity involves a lot of judgement calls for when things are trending in the wrong direction, and taking action on things that feel wrong but can be hard to pin down.

Chiming into agree with yea ok, who I think nails it here:

yea ok posted:

I think, and pardon me for speaking for others, what most people want when they say 'more moderation', is just a presence of moderation. It is so much easier when a blue star is able to see that a conversation is heading into Angry Territory, to say "Let's not be so angry now", and then someone will post right after to get their last word in, then say "e; whoops didn't see that" even though they saw it, and then people can either continue discussing whatever thing but not as angry, or then they can get in trouble.

The problem we keep seeing (or at least how it seems to me, someone who's just a bland poster) is that the low-level animosity mounts because the mods aren't around to say "this has run its course, chill out, time for a change of topic." We shoot past "time to chill out" and even "here's a chill-out sixer" into "now it's escalated to shouting 'gently caress you forever' at each other," just because of arguments happening in the gaps between mod availability.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
Place is good because the majority of posters are funny, insightful, or both. Some posters are too desperate to get laughs at all costs. It's bound to happen but can derail things sometimes.

Some posters are too eager to get hostile towards opinions they don't like (sometimes under the guise of humor). Posters here are pretty good at calling out those who fantasy book heinous poo poo. Probably needs to be some towards the former, but 6ers work well too. Or just ignoring the dumb poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Even as someone who (mostly) leans towards the "taking wrestling too drat seriously" side of things, I'm not sure I'd really be willing to go as far as to post a "No Fun Allowed Zone" thread.

Honestly, the community of wrestling watchers on SA is so small at this point that while something akin to the Enclosed Pool Area but permanent would be nice, it'd be a lot less fun for everyone if you had half the posters to interact with. Like, there's only so many of us, we can probably learn to live with each others "foibles", be that being a mark & taking wrestling too seriously or indulging in some casual shitposting (& I'm not knocking shitposting, it's fun)

I wouldn't want anyone to post a no fun allowed thread, just that I don't think there is anything wrong with making a thread and establishing a tone for it. I think EPA showed us most posters want to poo poo post and serious post. I just think a lot of the clashes come from people not being on the same page about what they're doing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only thought I have on the MMA side is that things are good, but sometimes it feels like there are too few people posting in the MMA threads and that we're a bit of an afterthought that gets forgotten underneath the wrestling. I post this with the awareness that the MMA threads might not be as good as they are if there were more people posting there.

(Seriously, the PSP MMA threads are literally the best place to discuss MMA on the entire internet).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The shows often manage to hit at just the wrong time for me, which sucks because...

CommonShore posted:

(Seriously, the PSP MMA threads are literally the best place to discuss MMA on the entire internet).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CommonShore posted:

The only thought I have on the MMA side is that things are good, but sometimes it feels like there are too few people posting in the MMA threads and that we're a bit of an afterthought that gets forgotten underneath the wrestling. I post this with the awareness that the MMA threads might not be as good as they are if there were more people posting there.

I do feel bad that MMA sometimes gets cut out (or talked over) of wider PSP discussions, I don't know if it's just something inevitable because of the fan base sizes or if it's something that can be helped somehow. I personally don't really enjoy watching MMA but I get why people do, and I'm sure that the greater internet at large is an absolute hellscape when it comes to MMA discussion so I'm glad we have a lil Fight Island for them to hang out on. MMA posters should chime in more in these feedback type threads because I genuinely don't know what goes on with them or what they need.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Compressing the MMA discussion into a core thread + GDTs has definitely helped a little, but yeah, we're a small but loving community. I've thought occasionally about doing a BYOB traveling forum spaceship thing with an MMA thread, but for one I wanted to get the new Q&A thread out first so we had an intro that wasn't a decade out of date and full of slurs and for two other forums scare me

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CarlCX posted:

Compressing the MMA discussion into a core thread + GDTs has definitely helped a little, but yeah, we're a small but loving community. I've thought occasionally about doing a BYOB traveling forum spaceship thing with an MMA thread, but for one I wanted to get the new Q&A thread out first so we had an intro that wasn't a decade out of date and full of slurs and for two other forums scare me

Yeah pretty much any long running thread needs a refresh. I wonder if the BYOB wandering thread actually drove traffic there, idk I hope so they seem nice.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CarlCX posted:

went to look at the MMA Q&A Thread and obviously theres parts before i got to the one that made me laugh about it being out of date but the "there will never be a womens division in UFC" line got a good chuckle out of me

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yeah pretty much any long running thread needs a refresh.

This is one of my favourite things about the puro thread being 15 years old, every so often I go back and read the first few pages to see what opinions were like back in 2006 when New Japan was going through a real rough patch.

Like this from our friend Ditch

Ditch posted:

Tanahashi has talent but in most cases needs to be carried. I'd honestly say the same thing about Styles because I'm not a fan of spotfests, but in AJ's case at least he has said spotfests. When Tanahashi has an off night he's very bland because his offense isn't particularly great.

I would not expect much for Styles vs Tanahashi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Especially amazing since Ditch has basically seen ALL THE PURO :stare: or at least had up until that point.

To be fair, getting raised on a steady diet of Kobashi/Misawa/Kawada/Taue probably sets a pretty high bar for what constitutes a good wrestler!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Especially amazing since Ditch has basically seen ALL THE PURO :stare: or at least had up until that point.

To be fair, getting raised on a steady diet of Kobashi/Misawa/Kawada/Taue probably sets a pretty high bar for what constitutes a good wrestler!

whats dave's excuse

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The old puro thread must never be refreshed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

whats dave's excuse

Clearly Dave of the time was quite unfairly measuring everybody against Manami Toyota in her prime, and welp ain't nobody stacking up to that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More active moderation is really the thing I'd say. Probably a few times I could have used a 6er when I just couldn't wrap my mind around the direction a show was going. Which typing out appears to be an absolutely bonkers situation to be in, but hey when a show is engaging these things can happen. Still, someone that can regularly step in and break up a dumb slap fight would be great.

Other than that I think the subforum is doing great. Hell, the three-four times I peek into the WWE thread it looks like it's doing way better so the community is healing. I don't follow MMA but I like the idea of forum hopping threads so I think that was a good idea mentioned previously.

As an aside I hope the netcode in the AEW game is good because I want to find the character that low blows a lot and use them on half the board.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
More six hour probes
Don't need mods being available 24/7, people blowing up at each other over wrestling is funny. If they haven't cooled down and apologised after an hour or two even better when they get probed

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

The old puro thread must never be refreshed

Agreed.

Make me the IK of the NJPW thread so I can give sixers to anyone who criticises Tetsuya Naito tia

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Agreed.

Make me the IK of the NJPW thread so I can give sixers to anyone who criticises Tetsuya Naito tia

Hard veto, ticket closed, Kenta is a hero for what he did

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Agreed.

same but the womens wrestling thread and raku, pom and haruna neko

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I'd never be able to post again :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Give everyone in the forum a button that can be exclusively used to ban epic rereg guys

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

History Comes Inside! posted:

Give everyone in the forum a button that can be exclusively used to ban epic rereg guys

:agreed:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I look at your username and I look at your list of names and I notice something important missing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Oh not the lists of names again

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Brut posted:

Relax, not THAT kinda list.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Brut posted:

Lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

I look at your username and I look at your list of names and I notice something important missing.

among the people who have criticized maki itoh is minoru suzuki and itohrespectarmy rightly does not have the courage to give out that probation

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

IGgy IGsen posted:

her gimmick is that she's a failure OP, criticising her is part of the fun

rare Magic card l00k posted:

among the people who have criticized maki itoh is minoru suzuki and itohrespectarmy rightly does not have the courage to give out that probation

this too

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rude of Maki to steal my gimmick tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brut posted:

1)Brut

Anybody else wanna mention the list??????