Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter cut her hair for her stepsister?

7 lines and 6 "I"s before she even mentions no one asked Mia, and after mentioning that in passing she goes immediately back to how this affects her. Technically she's right, but only incidentally because of her narcissism.

Content:
AITA for shaving my daughter’s hair in solidarity for her friend with cancer?

quote:

So first things first my daughter (10) wanted to shave her hair. It was her idea after she saw her friend had done so before he started chemo last week. At first she asked my ex-wife if she could but she said that it was out of the question because, and I quote, “it would make her look hideous”. This was something that her mother and my own mother both agreed with (they all live together).

My ex has primary custody so I get her on weekends. I didn’t know about her desire to shave her head until I picked her up and she complained about it too me. Obviously I didn’t mean to play the whole good parent v bad parent against my ex but at the end of the day I’ve always tried to install a sense of independence for my daughter especially when it came to her control over her own body. Of course an 10 year old isn’t old enough to make big decisions about her body, obviously, but at the end of the day hair is just hair. It grows back.

So when she told me about it I asked her that I’d shave it for her and told her that what her mum said didn’t matter because it was her body, not her mums. After I did it she was ecstatic about it and wanted to show her friend so we video called his parents to show him and yada yada yada.

Now I knew that the poo poo would hit the fan when her mum found out for obvious reasons but I didn’t expect her to go as nuclear as she’s gone. Not only is she, my MIL, and my mum on my rear end about it, but she’s also told our mutual friends about it. She’s claiming that I only did it because I was bitter about our divorce (which isn’t true). She’s also claiming that I did it to pit my daughter against her (also not true).

The only reason I feel like I could be an rear end in a top hat here is because two weeks ago my ex spent roughly £70 on hair styling for our daughter. Admittedly I knew about how much money was spent on the hair but, again, I think that supporting my daughters independence over her body is most important than worrying over money spent on hair.

So am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Buried lede is that his ex-wife lives with his mother. That's got to be an awkward as hell dynamic.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

7 lines and 6 "I"s before she even mentions no one asked Mia, and after mentioning that in passing she goes immediately back to how this affects her. Technically she's right, but only incidentally because of her narcissism.

Content:
AITA for shaving my daughter’s hair in solidarity for her friend with cancer?

Buried lede is that his ex-wife lives with his mother. That's got to be an awkward as hell dynamic.

I used to work with a woman who lived with her husband and daughter. Okay nothing amazing there. But he had been married before, and had a daughter, and when his ex fell on hard times, hopefully with my coworkers approval, he moved his ex-wife and her new girlfriend in to the house. So there was coworker, her husband, their daughter, her stepdaughter, her husband's ex-wife, and husband's ex-wife's new girlfriend.

I so wanted more details.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter cut her hair for her stepsister?

I was gonna launch into the 'your daughter isn't you let them do what they want to support their stepsister if it's as relatively minor as a shave' thing before I saw the spoiler lmao they both suck rear end

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 29, 2022

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

haveblue posted:

Yes, it was the shark teeth one

But that was only because the best one didn't fit:

I will not just gently caress my way to the top of the company, I will gently caress my way to the top of the world!

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to work with a woman who lived with her husband and daughter. Okay nothing amazing there. But he had been married before, and had a daughter, and when his ex fell on hard times, hopefully with my coworkers approval, he moved his ex-wife and her new girlfriend in to the house. So there was coworker, her husband, their daughter, her stepdaughter, her husband's ex-wife, and husband's ex-wife's new girlfriend.

I so wanted more details.

I had a direct retail supervisor back in the day who lived with his ex-wife, their 3 children, and her girlfriend in a trailer. He was the only one working.

He was OK-ISH as a supervisor, but moody and unpredictable as hell. I could royally screw something up, and he wouldn't care, or I could miss a tiny detail and he'd go ape.

Eventually I learned that how he treated me generally had nothing to do with me, but how stressed he was with his home stuff or how things were going with whatever woman he was into at that moment. Once I figured that out, the job got a lot easier.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I was gonna launch into the 'your daughter isn't you let them do what they want to support their stepsister if it's as relatively minor as a shave' thing before I saw the spoiler lmao they both suck rear end

Why is the daughter an rear end in a top hat? Or do you mean the mom and stepmom?

Regardless, I can't imagine forcing someone to cut hair as an act of support is a good idea at all. It really has to be something you want to do like the second story

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Should I Disappear From My Daughter's Life After She Didn't Name Her Baby After Me?

quote:

A couple of months ago my daughter gave birth to a baby girl. I was so happy until I learned her name. The baby's first name is lovely. It honors her father's side of the family. The baby's last name is my son-in-law's surname. But the baby was given two middle names — a male, ethnic version of my late husband's name, and his last name. My family and I were totally left out.

I was deeply hurt. And I don't think my husband would have been happy with the way the baby girl is saddled with a very awkward masculine middle name.

I've expressed my thoughts to my daughter but she is sticking with the middle names.

My late-husband died when she was in her early teens and our relationship, which had been very good, soured. After that, nothing I did was right.

I was a loving and devoted mother to her and hoped she would realize that, especially after she had a child of her own. But I don't see that happening and I'm thinking of simply fading out of my daughter's life. I don't think she would miss me and, at this point, vice versa. My second husband's daughter and grandchildren love me. Rather than beating my head against a brick wall, I think I'd rather devote my energy to having a relationship with people who appreciate me. My only reservation is that my natural granddaughter will miss out on having a relationship.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
How dare my granddaughter have an ethnic name. Better cut ties with that whole branch of the family just to be safe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Should I Disappear From My Daughter's Life After She Didn't Name Her Baby After Me?

quote:

My only reservation is that my natural granddaughter will miss out on having a relationship.

You gotta feel bad for the granddaughter, OP sounds like such a delightful person

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Barudak posted:

Assuming this is in Texas or some equally poo poo place, you can and should have a meeting with that teacher and super intendant while open carrying.

good assumption but ive never seen asian racism like in north ca. specifically humbolt. ive literally seen this play out w/ my neighbour who bleached his hair and the school going nuts over his hair because he was asian and mean while like 1/3 of the girls have the same bleached blonde look.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for charging my gf for utilities when she stays with me?

quote:

As gas prices have been kicking all our butts, I asked my girlfriend to help out with utilities whenever she stays over at my place for longer than 2 days. She got really upset and refused, called me an rear end in a top hat and said she's already paying for our groceries when she's here, she sees no reason to pay more than that.

Her main reasons are:
1. she pays rent for her own place and can't afford to help out with my place,
2. her staying here doesn't actually cost me (significantly) more.
That's true I guess - she showers with cold water, we cook together and she doesn't use the heating - but it would only be fair.

She has told me I can stay at her place in winter for free so I don't have to use my heating as much as compensation, but her place is really cramped and small and it would be uncomfortable for us both to stay there for several weeks so that's not a great trade off.

I asked her for 100-150 a month (a third of my utilities cost) because she usually stays over 2-3 weeks. I've told her unless she pays, she can no longer stay here for longer than 2 days because she's a leech.

My best friend is telling me I've lost my mind and need to apologize to her asap, but honestly, her behavior is rude as gently caress. Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If ever I have people over for dinner, I make sure to bill them for their share of the rent for living with me for a few hours.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for charging my gf for utilities when she stays with me?

Man I love an own goal

For this one I really don't understand how the cops are saying it's not a problem. When does it become a problem? When this guy shows his cock to the wrong person and gets a beat down?

WIBTA if I warned neighbors that a man in our building keeps exposing himself?

quote:

I’m looking for a little bit of clarity on this issue, and I’m hoping you all can tell me of I’d be the rear end in a top hat or not…

Background: I live in a small fifteen unit apartment building in a large metropolitan area in the US. Everyone in the building knows who everyone else is, we’re all generally friendly, but not friends. Pretty typical big city living.

A few months ago a new woman moved in and installed a ring camera. A little while after she got settled, she came to me asking about one of the other residents. Apparently, almost every night since her camera was installed, she’s woken up to a bunch of notifications - all videos of a male neighbor deliberately exposing himself to her camera.

Apparently he does this often at night and in the early morning. I was surprised and recommended she file a police report. Life went on, I kept clear of the dude, and didn’t hear from the new neighbor again.

Last week, he exposed himself to me while I was alone in my car. I was shocked and scared and the next morning I filed a police report.

However, the cops told me there’s not much that can be done, and I was told to inform my building’s owners and management about the guy.

So I did. I have emailed management four times now with no response.

Here’s where I need to know if I would be an rear end in a top hat… I’m considering taking a screen grab from my dash cam footage, printing out a bunch of copies and letting everyone in the building know what this guy is doing.

The cops and management won’t do anything, and I’m getting pretty frustrated. So, would I be the rear end in a top hat?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Why would a cop spend a bunch of time and do a bunch of paperwork when they could instead just say "not much we can do, sorry" and get back to stop and frisks or speed traps or whatever else they use to juice their numbers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling a girl that the guy she likes and I are a thing in front of everyone

quote:

I (F20) work as a waitress in a hotel. I’ve worked there for around 3 years now and Eric (M23) started maybe a year or so after I did as a barman. We were immediate friends and hung out regularly before/after our shifts. Then a little over a month ago Eric kissed me on a night out with some of the staff and we’ve been unofficially dating since. Since it was a staff night out most of the staff are well aware we’re a thing.

Olivia (F22) wasn’t there that night though so I didn’t mention it. I’m not close to Olivia the way I am with the other staff and it felt weird since we’re technically not actually together. I knew she liked Eric. Well, guessed. Shes always been Very touchy with him and flirts with him. Felt unnecessarily awkward to tell her when we aren’t official.

Anyways it all came to a head when myself and some of my close friends from work had plans on going out after our shift. Olivia was on with us so we obviously invited her. So we go to a few bars and end up back at Erics apartment for afters. We’re talking about work and hours and I made a joke that Eric needs to start compensating me for the time I spend waiting for him to finish after my shifts over (we usually go get something to eat or just hang out). Olivia (in her defence she was drunk, shes very quiet usually) says “you cant get paid to be a pick me”. It was a bit awkward but I tried to play it off by saying “oh but the money I’d make if I could”. She doubles down and says “No but really, you give me second hand embarrassment sometimes I swear”.

I swear I’m not a doormat, but I knew she was drunk, and she’d regret it in the morning so I keep trying to play it off or change the topic but she KEEPS doubling down. Eventually she says “like its just self respect, like poor Eric. you’re always throwing yourself at him and he’s just so not into you”.

Ok admittedly at this point I’m PISSED. Like no coming back from that one. So I said to her “you know we’re literally dating right?”. She goes quiet then leaves not long after. Hasn’t spoken more than a few words to any of us since. I feel like I might be the rear end in a top hat for telling her in front of everybody when I knew she liked him. I feel like it was somewhat justified but shes clearly embarrassed and I feel awful.

The real pick-me girl (guh hate that term) was the friends we made along the way!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Man I love an own goal

For this one I really don't understand how the cops are saying it's not a problem. When does it become a problem? When this guy shows his cock to the wrong person and gets a beat down?

WIBTA if I warned neighbors that a man in our building keeps exposing himself?
Step 1: check the local sex offender registry for your apartment complex
Step 2: when you find creepy guy already on it, email the pics to his parole officer

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dr. Stab posted:

Why would a cop spend a bunch of time and do a bunch of paperwork when they could instead just say "not much we can do, sorry" and get back to stop and frisks or speed traps or whatever else they use to juice their numbers.

Speed traps are good. Don't speed.

EDIT: I mean speed cameras where cops don't actually interact with anybody.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DoctorWhat posted:

Speed traps are good. Don't speed.

EDIT: I mean speed cameras where cops don't actually interact with anybody.

a cop camera is still a cop

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Classmate is making me and other classmates sign an NDA

quote:

As the title says, a classmate of mine in college is making me and all his classmates sign an NDA. I and most of my classmated don't want to sign it, can i be forced to sign? For context he's a tiktoker and scared of being canceled (which in my opinion is pretty bold of him to think that he'll be famous enough for us to care, but we know that he's an aspiring industry plant). I already signed an NDA about disclosing personal stuff with my college and I feel like my classmate's NDA isn't necessary. If i do say something about him (that's not libelous), can i still be sued for breaking an NDA that I never signed?

quote:

He's not putting a gun to our heads but he really is annoying about it in our class group chats. And yes, he basically wants to make himself tabloid-proof, the NDA even covers gossip about him.

quote:

Thank god, he "used a KIWKH lawyer" that made his NDA to be "modeled like the Kardashian NDAs" (his words not mine, i have no idea what kiwkh means) and I genuinely thought that he could sue me for something I never signed, especially for something so pointless.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

speeding is extremely bad and causes mass death without even actually benefitting the speeder (who either runs red lights anyway, losing all sympathy and causing greater risk, or gets caught at the next red and doesn't actually save any time).

Don't speed. Frankly, if possible, don't drive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

teen witch posted:

Lmao, what in tarnation :psyduck:

Just ignore the weirdo, how on earth would you be required to sign that?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling a girl that the guy she likes and I are a thing in front of everyone

The real pick-me girl (guh hate that term) was the friends we made along the way!

Is this the same chick who was offended when Eric and Olivia were speaking Spanish in front of her? May have been posted under a different username, but it just seems so familiar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My (63M) daughter (26F) doesn't look happy to see us anymore when we get home

quote:

Hello all,

This may seem like a silly post to some of you all, and it may be, but it has been something I've noticed for a long while now (since she was 17, 18, maybe?) and I would like to ask Reddit for what they think about it because I sometimes see good advice here.

Now I don't expect my daughter to act like a dog, tail wagging every time my wife and I come home. And this does not happen every time. I just want to make sure she's happy and okay. She often would and still does sometimes be very silly and playful and smiley the times she was home for whatever reason and the family would come in.

Now more and more over the years there are times she is still polite, says hello and looks pleased, but she is quiet and less bouncy and it always makes us all ask, "Are you okay?" and she says yeah, what I think unconvincingly and never tells us what's on her mind.

I know she's busy with school in the past and now work, but I can admit it stings a bit. My wife and I aren't sure if it's just her growing up or if we are reading into it too much or if our daughter feels things about us that she is not sharing.

The TL;DR....My daughter is sometimes solemn when she comes home, is it us or is it her?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DoctorWhat posted:

speeding is extremely bad and causes mass death without even actually benefitting the speeder (who either runs red lights anyway, losing all sympathy and causing greater risk, or gets caught at the next red and doesn't actually save any time).

This is such a weird take. I appreciate your zeal for safety but you know freeways exist, right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cythereal posted:

You know what, at least they care enough to wonder. But seriously stop expecting everyone to be happy all the time.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

:hmmyes:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

maybe it's because she's 26, living at home and the economy is hosed with the climate closely following it you boomer fucks

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for changing the door locks back after my wife changed them?

quote:

I <30M> have a beautiful wife who loves to serve others. We bought a home down the street from my family. I have a sweet sister <17> Who likes to crash at our house with her friends.

My wife normally is pretty easy going until recently. My sisters friends have been leaving messes. Mostly towels on the floor after using our pool. My wife got upset picking up after them every day. I have asked my sister to make sure the house is clean after they leave and it has been better. My wife also complained that some of her perfumes/Clothes personal items have gone missing. My sister said it’s not her. I believe my sister. I just don’t see her doing that. I told my wife and we agreed to just replace them.

Last week my wife made a couple of pans of cinnamon rolls from scratch. One pan was for us, the second pan was for a co-workers family who is experiencing a tragedy.

My wife went to the gym. I went to work and my sister and her friends came by. The one pan wasn’t enough for her and her friends. They wanted the second pan of cinnamon rolls and my sister texted my wife asking if they could eat them. My wife said no.

They ate them anyways. My wife upset went and bought new locks. When I came home my wife handed me a new key and told me that she didn’t want anyone else to have a key to our house.

I tried to calm her down and tell her that I would just go replace the eaten cinnamon rolls with store bought ones. My wife decided this was her hill to die on and said no my sister lost the privilege to come when we are not home. Replacing stolen items wasn’t “good enough” anymore.

My mom called and asked if my sister could use the pool as a back to school party? I was under the impression my mom would be there. I said yes, my mom was at work and our schedules clashed. The easiest solution was for me To change the locks back so they could come into the house.

My mom didn’t come with my sister. When my wife got home after the party. It was a mess. She sent me photos. She called me the A for changing the locks without talking to her about it. (Keep in mind she did too.) then told me I broke her trust. She wasn’t safe in her home because she keeps getting robbed and I refuse to put an end to it. (I did talk to my sister). Then my wife let me know she was staying with a friend for awhile.

Am I the A here? I feel like I have tried to right any wrongs that have happened. Between my wife and my sister.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

I <30M> have a beautiful wife who loves to serve others.

EUHHHH That line made my skin crawl.

Also it doesn't loving sound like she enjoys "serving" these people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

This is such a weird take. I appreciate your zeal for safety but you know freeways exist, right?

Drive at the prevailing speed on freeways, yes. That's not speeding. But here in urban NYC, where multi-lane urban highways intersect our local roads, speeding is prevalent because traffic cameras don't put points on your license, cops think speeding is cool because they all do it, and our roads are too wide.

It puts pedestrians and cyclists at risk and it gets worse every year. Then, aggrieved urban drivers (in a city with a functional and expensive public transit network) complain about being oppressed by our half-assed speed cameras, bike lanes, and efforts to slow roads and create toll zones.

This is also true of many (all) other American urban developments, and the highways often create racialized ghettos and disproportionately displace traffic violence risks onto the marginalized residents of highway- and stroad- adjacent communities.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:sever:

but only because obviously you cant take your wifes word for things and she got to the door lock changing level and your dumb rear end is like :iiam:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Piell posted:

I refuse to put an end to it. (I did talk to my sister)

We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just how easy is it to change the locks?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
usually 2 screws.

unless we are making a very clever metaphor.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Piell posted:

"sweet sister (17)" O-kay mr. Lannister

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just how easy is it to change the locks?

If you already have a working key, it takes very little time for a locksmith

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

haveblue posted:

If you already have a working key, it takes very little time for a locksmith
Or if she just replaced the deadbolt/doorknob but didn't discard the old one, he could swap it right back.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

teen witch posted:

Found the correct way to deal with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTUnad8ex0&t=84s

Piell posted:

My wife also complained that some of her perfumes/Clothes personal items have gone missing. My sister said it’s not her. I believe my sister. I just don’t see her doing that.

But the sister isn't the only one there! Sure he trusts his sister and he might be right on that, but does he also trust her dumbass friends that also have free reign of the house? I don't see where he talked to his sister's friends at all. God this man is dumb.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 30, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DoctorWhat posted:

Drive at the prevailing speed on freeways, yes. That's not speeding. But here in urban NYC, where multi-lane urban highways intersect our local roads, speeding is prevalent because traffic cameras don't put points on your license, cops think speeding is cool because they all do it, and our roads are too wide.

It puts pedestrians and cyclists at risk and it gets worse every year. Then, aggrieved urban drivers (in a city with a functional and expensive public transit network) complain about being oppressed by our half-assed speed cameras, bike lanes, and efforts to slow roads and create toll zones.

This is also true of many (all) other American urban developments, and the highways often create racialized ghettos and disproportionately displace traffic violence risks onto the marginalized residents of highway- and stroad- adjacent communities.

NYC is actually a pretty unique case as compared to most places in America, and particularly as compared to everything west of the Mississippi. It’s such a bad place for driving that they have a functioning public transit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yes, I'm aware. I live in New York. But that doesn't justify speeding west of the Mississippi.